Author Topic: Movie Marathon: 8/14 - 8/17  (Read 12626 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Movie Marathon: 8/14 - 8/17
« on: August 14, 2008, 05:25:12 PM »
Movie Marathon
8/14 - 8/17
For this marathon I decided not to have any type of theme. Pretty much anything is fair game depending on my mood. Well that is not exactly true. Because October is less then 2 months away... I need to prepare myself for my month long horror marathon... so there will be no horror movies what so ever. I am abstaining from horror till October. (Stop laughing everyone... I can do it!) So anyway I decided to watch...

Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle: Unrated Widescreen Special Edition
Sexy Angels (Cameron Diaz, Drew Barrymore and Lucy Liu) are going head-to-head with Angel-Gone-Bad (Demi Moore)!

My Thoughts:
Before I even bought this movie I heard they really messed up this sequel. I heard it totally sucked. So I went into this one with no expectations what so ever. And it is a good thing I did prepare myself for that. I mean there is some good scenes in it... and some fun to be had if you leave your brain at the door when you go in to watch it.  But over-all this is just a fair movie at best. In this one they replace Bill Murray with Bernie Mac for Bosley. Ok... so they explained it away as not being the same Bosely... but a brother by adoption. Bernie Mac did have some laughs in it... but it was not the same. And it was definitely not Bernie Mac's best work. I would say if you have any interest in this movie at all... try to catch it on cable (or rent it) first... don't just put your money down on it.  I can say I don't feel to bad about getting it... as I can see times when I will want to watch it (not often!)... and I got it cheap... I got it in a 3 Movies for $15 sale. So it only cost me $5. So even though I am less then thrilled with the movie... I am not sorry I added it to my collection... at least not for the price I paid.
Pete

Najemikon

Re: Movie Marathon: 8/14 - 8/17
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 08:34:31 PM »
Charlies Angels: Full Throttle is a horror, I'm afraid.

Well, everyone who sees it says, "That was horrific!"  :tease: :devil:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 08:48:13 PM »
 :laugh: Nice try Jon... but Nope... not the kind of horror I was talking about.  :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 10:42:50 PM »

Bewitched
Oscar®-winner Nicole Kidman (Best Actress in a leading role, 'The Hours', 2002) and wickedly funny Will Ferrell star as actors playing Darrin and Samantha on a remake of the television show "Bewitched" in this cleverly crafty comedy from director Nora Ephron ('Sleepless in Seattle',' You've Got Mail').

Egomaniacal star Jack Wyatt (Ferrell) casts unknown Isabel (Kidman) as his co-star in order to monopolize the limelight and regain his top spot on Hollywood's A-list. When Isabel, a real witch, discovers Jack's self-centered scheme, she conjures a sidesplitting spell the mere mortal will never forget!

My Thoughts:
This is like the 3rd time I watched this movie since I bought it. I don't know why I enjoy this one so much... but I do think Nicole Kidman did a really good job in it. Then again at the same time... even though I usually enjoy his work... I wasn't too impressed with Will Ferrell. I think part of my had a problem with the fact that it wasn't really a movie made from the series as most of these movies are. But a movie about remaking the series. I think I would have personally preferred a straight movie version of the series. Even with that said... I obviously still enjoyed this movie quite a bit... even if I am not 100% sure why. I guess it is just fun to watch... no more and no less.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 11:39:24 PM »
There's a bloody witch in this film! A witch! It even says so in the title! :redcard: ;)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 12:06:51 AM »
 :laugh: Sorry Jon.... Not horror!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 05:50:10 PM »

The Fugitive
Catch him if you can. 'The Fugitive' is on the run! Harrison Ford and Tommy Lee Jones race through the breathless manhunt movie based on the classic TV series. Ford is prison escapee Dr. Richard Kimble, a Chicago surgeon falsely convicted of killing his wife and determined to prove his innocence by leading his pursuers to the one-armed man who actually committed the crime. Jones (1993 Academy Award® and Golden Globe winner as Best Supporting Actor) is Sam Gerard, an unrelenting bloodhound of a U.S. Marshal. They are hunted and hunter. And as directed by Andrew Davis ('Under Siege'), their nonstop chase has one exhilarating speed: all-out.

So catch him if you can. And catch an 11-on-a-scale-of-10 train wreck (yes, the train is real), a plunge down a waterfall, a cat-and-mouse jaunt through a Chicago St. Patrick's Day Parade and much more. Better hurry. Kimble doesn't stay in one place very long!

My Thoughts:
I enjoyed this movie quite a bit. Is a really good story. I have never seen the TV Series that this movie is based on. But I have wanted to for a while. One of these days I will blind buy this series. This movie has soe big stars in it with Harrison Ford and Tommy Lee Jones. I have been a fan of Tommy Lee Jones' for a while now. I don't think I have personally seen anything I didn't enjoy him in. It is a pretty long movie clocking in at 2hrs. and 10min. but the movie had me so captivated that I didn't even notice how long it was... went by in what seemed like no time at all. Unfortunately there is no real extras on this release... only some production notes.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 12:54:48 AM »

Freaky Friday
In the tradition of 'The Princess Diaries', Disney's 'Freaky Friday' is the extremely funny and heartwarming comedy everyone will love. Dr. Tess Coleman (the hilarious Jamie Lee Curtis) and her teenage daughter Anna (rockin' Lindsay Lohan) have one thing in common - they don't relate to each other on anything. Not clothes or men or Anna's passion to be in a rock band. Nothing. Then one night a little mystic mayhem changes their lives and they wake up to the biggest freak-out ever. Tess and Anna are trapped inside each other's body! But Tess's wedding is Saturday, and the two must find a way to switch back - fast! Literally forced to walk in each other's shoes, will they gain respect and understanding for the other's point of view? Filled with comedy, rock 'n' roll and lots of heart, 'Freaky Friday' is freaking fun everyone can enjoy together.

My Thoughts:
I remember blind buying this movie just off my enjoyment of the original. Unfortunately I can't compare the 2 as it has been many years since I saw that one... I just remember I enjoyed it when I was a kid. This one I also enjoyed. I like seeing Mark Harmon in a role other then Special Agent Gibbs on NCIS... and I always liked Jamie Lee Curtis in all the horror movies I have seen her in. As for Lindsay Lohan... I guess she was alright... but I really not all that familiar with her. Only seen her in a couple things... and this is the only movie I own with her in it. The DVD release is pretty good... no audio/video problems that I noticed at all... and a nice collection of a few extras. Now I just have to remember to show this movie to my mother... because she absolutely adores Mark Harmon.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 02:24:14 AM »
hmmm... you can't quite get away from spookiness! I know it isn't a horror, but the title, like Bewitched, sounds like one. And the story hinges on "mystic mayhem", with one of the most famous Scream Queens in Jamie Lee Curtis. Plus swapping bodies? A wee bit Frankenstein-y that... :tease: :whistle:

This marathon is shaping up to be like a cigarette substitute for smokers trying to quit! It looks like a fag and sometimes there's even smoke. But it's harmless. A crutch for the truly addicted, eh, Pete?  :laugh:

« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 02:26:58 AM by Jon »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2008, 10:08:16 AM »
 :laugh: Tried to go Disney... and you still found something to say!  :laugh:

At least you couldn't find anything to say about The Fugitive!  :tease:

We will have to see what I can come up with to watch today.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2008, 04:48:45 PM »

The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc
The year is 1429. France is in political and religious turmoil as members of the royal family battle for rule. But one peasant girl from a remote village gave her country the miracle it was waiting for. Milla Jovovich ('The Fifth Element', 'Dazed and Confused') is Joan of Arc, a young woman who would inspire and lead her countrymen until her execution at the age of nineteen. Raised in a religious family, Joan witnessed her sister's rape and death at the hands of an invading army. Years later, as the same war raged on, Joan stood before her king with a message she claimed came from God: give her an army, and in God's name she would reclaim his diminished kingdom.

But was the message real, or the delusion of a girl whose life had been shattered? This startling epic drama by Luc Besson ('The Fifth Element') explores the life of Joan of Arc, her amazing victories, relationship with God, and tragic death. Co-starring John Malkovich and Academy Award® winners Dustin Hoffman and Faye Dunaway, 'THE MESSENGER' is a modern take on a medieval saint who enthralls people even today.

My Thoughts:
This was a complete bind buy for me... as before I ordered it I never even seen the trailer for this movie. But I have always liked the story of Joan of Arc. I also been a fan of Milla Jovovich for a while now... who stars in the title role. Thinking back this may be the first movie on Joan of Arc that I ever seen... at least as far as I can remember. Because of that... I can not compare this movie to any other... but I can say I enjoyed every minute of it. This movie clocks in at 2hrs. and 38min. but I enjoyed it so much it felt like a fraction of that time. I feel this movie was definitely worth the $5 I paid for it.

Rating:

NOTE TO JON:
Hey Jon... let me say if for you! Watching this movie I got to see plenty of blood... arms and legs getting cut off... and more then one beheading! With a movie like this... who needs horror!  :laugh:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2008, 04:18:15 PM »

The Bone Collector
He takes his victims' lives and leaves behind mysterious pieces of a bizarre puzzle. And the only person who may be able to make sense of the serial killer's deranged plan is Lincoln Rhyme ('Denzel Washington'), a onetime top homicide investigator. But after a tragic accident changes his life forever, Rhyme can only watch as other cops bungle the case...until he teams up with a young rookie, Amelia Donaghy ('Angelina Jolie'), who bravely searches out the clues that help them solve the case.

But as the killer senses the cops closing in, Rhyme realizes that he and his partner are on the trail of a vicious, sadistic murderer who will stop at nothing on his deadly mission. And at any moment, Rhyme and Amelia could become his next targets — and their first case could become their last.

My Thoughts:
This is a movie I have always liked a lot. I thought both Denzel Washington and Angelina Jolie did a good job in it. Ed O'Niel (Married with Children) also appears in this movie. This is about the 3rd or 4th time I watched this movie since I bought it. I really enjoy the case... and also enjoy how strong of a woman lead it has. No complaints about the quality of this release... and there is a nice selection of extras to go with it.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2008, 04:25:58 PM »
Bone Collector? Sounds a bit horrific to me! :hysterical:

I demand that you prove you commitment to non-horror DVD and include The Incredibles or Ratatouille or something like that. Bone Collector indeed! :tease:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2008, 04:33:27 PM »
LOL... Well Bone Collector is a crime movie... tracking down a serial killer... but for you?... ok... you got it.  :P
Pete

Sanuye

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2008, 06:21:17 PM »
[...]or Ratatouille or something like that. [...]

Thousands of rats in a kitchen... That's horror!!!  :hysterical: