Author Topic: Numbers on the Spine  (Read 3407 times)

lyonsden5

Numbers on the Spine
« on: July 07, 2007, 07:56:43 PM »
Anyone else feel compelled to buy every disc in a set if the distributor puts a number on the spine?

To me it's one of the greatest marketing tricks there is for DVDs. There's something about having a 'hole' in a collection that doesn't work.

Touti

Re: Numbers on the Spine
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 08:02:30 PM »
It certainly worked for me with the "Fox Studio Classics" collection.  I won't be happy until I have all the numbers although I'm not interested in all the movies.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 08:41:43 PM »
LOL... no... I haven't fallen for that one YET  :P
Pete

RossRoy

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 09:45:54 PM »
I've not yet fallen for the number on the spines yet.. But movie series where the first one is good? Then you can be sure I'll eventually get every entry in the serie, no matter how abysmal they might be!

I even have Slap Shot 2 damn it! Help! :surrender:

I'm sure if I was to look through my collection I could find other examples of bad movies I have just to have a complete trilogy/quadrilogy/saga/etc.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 10:02:56 PM »
I've not yet fallen for the number on the spines yet.. But movie series where the first one is good? Then you can be sure I'll eventually get every entry in the serie, no matter how abysmal they might be!

Now... that I have done!  :bag:
Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 02:46:11 PM »
That's exactly the reason I've got Matrix 2 & 3 and Star Wars Episode 1-3.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

m.cellophane

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 07:54:53 PM »
I have not fallen for the number on the spine thing with the Criterion Collection thankfully. Not only would it be quite costly, but they put out a lot of crap.  :)

I did fall for it with Fox Studio Classics and Fox Film Noir. And the Warner film noir boxes. I'm happy that I did. There were a lot of great films I wouldn't have seen if I hadn't.

I love buying box sets. The only series that I can think of where I didn't buy all of the movies would be the Love Bug series. I have The Love Bug and Herbie Rides Again. But I skipped the others.

One thing that I get sucked into is collecting all of the movies for an actor or director.  :surrender:

Touti

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 09:56:43 PM »
I did fall for it with Fox Studio Classics.....

Makes 2 of us.

Najemikon

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 01:36:33 AM »
I did do it with region 1 Fox Noir, but no way would I ever bother with Fox Classics because of the huge differences between region 1 and 2. At least Noir wasn't released in Europe.

Now here's a conundrum for you must-have-all-spine-numbers people: I bought the Noir series, as I said. Number 1 was Laura. I also like the Region 2 steel case series, Cinema Reserve. Gorgeous presentations and look great together. Number 1 was Laura.  :hysterical:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 02:26:37 PM »
One thing that I get sucked into is collecting all of the movies for an actor or director.  :surrender:
I am guilty of this too. Maybe not all; like with Cronenberg, where I hesitate with the newer stuff (M. Butterfly, Crash), but actually have The Fast Company, which is supposed to be quite dreadful...