Author Topic: Oh boy!  (Read 9321 times)

RossRoy

Oh boy!
« on: July 26, 2008, 03:57:35 PM »
Well, as you all may, or may not, have noticed, my DVD purchases have been rather slow lately. And even as we speak, I have only 3 on order. Which is quite low for me. But, it is about to go even lower! Because ....

:thundergod:

I'm getting .... A NEW CAR!!!

My current car, a Pontiac Sunrunner (redressed Suzuki Sidekick), has caught cancer. It's starting to have all the little problems old cars have, and it's also rusting from everywhere. The doors either won't unlock and/or lock, depending which door. I lost the exhaust on the highway the other day (LOL). I need new calipers. It's burning oil like crazy. It is in an overall bad shape. But then, it's all fine. It's 11 years old after all, and it's got over 200,000 KM, and I've had it for 8-9 years already. It had a good life. And it didn't cost me much in terms of repair over this period (only an alternator, a muffler, and the fan resistor and control unit).

So, now I have decided to get a new one. The fun part is, my dad, working at Air Canada, has some crazy specials of Chrysler cars. Now, Chrysler wouldn't necessarily have been my first choice for a new car, but at the price they have? Bring it on!

This months special is on purchases of a few models, but my choice is limited. I've had 2 cars in my life so far: a pickup truck, and an SUV. I liked them. So I'm probably going to get an SUV. And the good part? Jeep is included in the special! So it's going to be either a Patriot, or a Compass, I've not decided yet. But I'm leaning towards the Compass at this moment.

Anyway, we'll see how it turns out. I may come out of there with a Liberty, of even a Chrysler 300!  :laugh:

Touti

Re: Oh boy!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 04:14:49 PM »
It's not my place to say Seb but I have to.  Considering the current price of gas I am surprised that you want to buy an SUV.  The only reason I bought an SUV is because I use it for its intended purpose...........and even then, I regret it once a week, usually at the gas station :)

But congratulations anyway, it's always fun to get a new car.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 07:16:08 PM »
If you are interested I subscribe to Consumer Reports and will copy/paste and email you any info/comparisons on vehicles you would like data on.

RossRoy

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 07:17:04 PM »
I am surprised that you want to buy an SUV.

Well, I want a SUV for a very simple reason: there is no way I can fit in a compact car, and anyway, I hate being seated on the pavement while driving. So it basically has to be a SUV, or a big car, like a 300 or something.

And anyway, the Compass and Patriot both a comparable gas consumption as my current Sidekick. And it is not so bad.

RossRoy

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 07:18:19 PM »
If you are interested I subscribe to Consumer Reports and will copy/paste and email you any info/comparisons on vehicles you would like data on.

Thanks for the offer!

Well, if you could send me the data on the Compass and Patriot, that would be great!  ;D

Oh and ehmmm.. See you PMs...  :-[

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 07:37:51 PM »

Thanks for the offer!

Well, if you could send me the data on the Compass and Patriot, that would be great!  ;D

Done - I'll send you the data via email.

lyonsden5

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 08:36:22 PM »
I own a 300 and enjoyed it when I drove it (My son drives it now) At 6'2 300+ lbs I can tell you there is room.

OT (kinda) I get 20MPG in my SUV (highway). I used to get 17. The difference... nitrogen instead of air in my tires. The dealer "threw it in" with the last set of tires. I can tell you now I'll use it from now on. It's been over a year and a half too and the pressure is still as good as it was when the new tires were installed.

Congrats on whatever you get  :thumbup:

RossRoy

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 08:47:39 PM »
I own a 300 and enjoyed it when I drove it (My son drives it now) At 6'2 300+ lbs I can tell you there is room.

My uncle owns (or rents? I don't know) a 300 and he loves it. But I don't see myself driving a 300.... It's psychological.... Looks too much like the kind of car my grandfather would buy (sorry about that!)

lyonsden5

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 09:09:46 PM »

My uncle owns (or rents? I don't know) a 300 and he loves it. But I don't see myself driving a 300.... It's psychological.... Looks too much like the kind of car my grandfather would buy (sorry about that!)

No offense taken.  ;D You're grandfather has good taste would be my response  :tease:

RossRoy

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 09:17:14 PM »
No offense taken.  ;D You're grandfather has good taste would be my response  :tease:

I actually think he's got good taste too! Just not for me ;)

Touti

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 10:05:42 PM »
If you end up getting an SUV maybe I can talk you into taking it out on some easy off-road run with us one day ;)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008, 10:08:54 PM »
I am very happy with my compact car :)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sYLxq7Td-1k

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2008, 04:48:29 AM »
I am very happy with my compact car :)

:hysterical: (laughing at the video...)

Translation:
1: Hey buddy, get off the road!
2: Huh, frogs...

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2008, 10:28:04 AM »
:hysterical: (laughing at the video...)
It was the TV spot when this car was released first. Because of this spot I bought a Kermit puppet and he has been my mascot in the car from the beginning :)

RossRoy

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2008, 09:17:51 PM »
Alright! Assuming I am accepted for financing (fingers crossed), meet..... MY NEW CAR!!

(yes, that's the right color. Might not be the right visible equipment though)

That's a Jeep Patriot. I chose the North Edition. I went for full 4x4 with CVT automatic transmission (I actually like the feel of it, as opposed to what many other people said). Only actual options I took are the tow prep (Engine oil cooler, trailer tow wiring harness and full-size spare tire. Not that I need it, but the available stock all had it), the security/convenience group (Soft tonneau cover, adjustable roof rails, security alarm, rearview auto-dimming mirror, garage door opener transceiver, Vehicle Information Centre, Tire Pressure Monitoring Display) and steering wheel mounted cruise control.

For the more car-savvy among us, here's the tech spec page: http://www.jeep.ca/en/patriot/index.html

It's not as big as it looks. I was actually surprised, it's actually quite smaller than I expected. I took it out for a drive around, and it handles like a charm (of course, my recent driving experience is a dying Sidekick, so just about anything will handle like a charm!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MonfGrOgg0o
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 09:28:49 PM by RossRoy »