Author Topic: Horror/Halloween Marathon 2023  (Read 5950 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Horror/Halloween Marathon 2023
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2023, 04:26:51 AM »
     Insidious: The Last Key (2018/United States)

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Adam Robitel
Writing:Leigh Whannell (Writer), Leigh Whannell (Original Characters By)
Length:103 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.39:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Lin Shaye (1944) as Elise Rainier
Leigh Whannell as Specs
Angus Sampson as Tucker
Kirk Acevedo as Ted Garza
Caitlin Gerard as Imogen Rainier

Plot:
The creative minds behind the hit Insidious franchise bring you the most horrifying chapter of the series, Insidious: The Last Key. In this gripping Blumhouse film, Lin Shaye reprises her role as parapsychologist Dr. Elise Rainier, who returns to her family home to face the unrelenting demons that have plagued her since childhood. Accompanied by her two investigative partners, Specs and Tucker, Elise must delve deeper in the Further to unlock the mystery and destroy her greatest fear.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:

Seems I watched this one once before and didn't get much out of it. Guess that is what I get for watching it before the earlier films. I loved it this time I watched it! Knowing all about the psychic and her team before going back to her childhood home really helped. Who would have thought! LOL Now I am excited to get my hands on and watch Insidious: The Red Door.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2023, 04:34:52 AM »
     The Furies (2019/)

(United States)
Director:
Writing:
Length:82 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:

Plot:
When Kayla wakes up in a coffin-like box in the middle of the woods, the first thing she sees is a terrifying masked man with an axe running straight for her. As she runs to try to get away, she realizes she is part of an insane and deadly game. There are six other women running scared in the woods, each with a masked assassin assigned to protect them and kill everyone else. Kayla races to save herself and as many women as she can, but when they start to turn on each other, her killer instinct is unleashed as she does whatever it takes to survive.

Extras:
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:

This is one of the Shudder Original films I got my hands on. These can be hit or miss but I usually tend to like them as I did with this one. This one has a bit of gore in it though the effects are not the greatest I am guessing the funds wasn't there. I liked the story. It kept my interest till the end.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2023, 09:29:53 PM »
     The Haunting in Connecticut (2009/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |IMDb |
Lionsgate Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Peter Cornwell
Writing:Adam Simon (Writer), Tim Metcalfe (Writer)
Length:103 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
Virginia Madsen as Sara Campbell
Kyle Gallner as Matt Campbell
Elias Koteas as Reverend Popescu
Amanda Crew as Wendy
Martin Donovan (1957) as Peter Campbell

Plot:
Based on a chilling true story, THE HAUNTING IN CONNECTICUT charts one family's terrifying, real-life encounter with the dark forces of the supernatural. When the Campbell family moves to upstate Connecticut, they soon learn that their charming Victorian home has a disturbing history.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Theatrical & Unrated Versions

My Thoughts:

I enjoyed this one quite a bit. I have heard both good and bad about this movie... and thankfully I have to agree with those that liked it. Sure some of the stuff I seen in many ghost stories... but there was also stuff I seen in this movie for the very first time. There was a couple things that did bother me about the story. But over all I really enjoyed this one. The actor playing the ill son looked very familiar to me... but I just couldn't place where I knew him from... so after the movie I checked his filmography. Turns out I knew him from 2 different shows. He played Beaver on Veronica Mars and he also played Bart Allen (The Flash) on a couple episodes of Smallville. I would recommend this movie to anyone that enjoys ghost stories.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2023, 11:34:46 PM »
     The Haunting in Connecticut 2: Ghosts of Georgia (2013/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Lions Gate Entertainment (United States)
Director:Tom Elkins
Writing:David Coggeshall (Writer)
Length:101 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Abigail Spencer as Lisa Wyrick
Morgana Shaw as Lisa's Mother
Emily Alyn Lind as Heidi Wyrick
Chad Michael Murray as Andy Wyrick
Grant James as Mr. Gordy

Plot:
Building on the terror of The Haunting in Connecticut, this horrifying tale traces a young family's nightmarish descent into a centuries-old Southern hell. When Andy Wyrick (Chad Michael Murray, House of Wax) moves his wife Lisa (Abigail Spencer, TV's "Mad Men") and daughter Heidi to a historic home in Georgia, they quickly discover they are not the house's only inhabitants. Joined by Lisa's free-spirited sister, Joyce (Katee Sackhoff, TV's "Battlestar Galactica"), the family soon comes face-to-face with a bone-chilling mystery born of a deranged desire... a haunting secret rising from underground and threatening to bring down anyone in its path.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:

Just finished this one... and I must say.. enjoyed it quite a bit. It has a good story line and likable characters... even if they did make the sister-in-law a little on the weird side. This film easily kept my attention through-out. It shows that there is good and evil in everyone. I also liked how they made it a completely seperate story compared to the first one... and not some type of continuation of the same family or house or what have you. The movie is well worth the time put in to watch it. Recommended.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2023, 05:50:42 PM »
     Child of Satan (2017/)

(United States)
Director:
Writing:
Length:100 min.
Video:Widescreen :1
Audio:English: :
Subtitles:

Stars:

Plot:
After an accident during her baby shower, Allison, a dedicated nurse, is rushed to the hospital. After the birth of her son, strange events emerge: vivid dreams and unexplained killings.

Extras:

My Thoughts:

Ok for a low budget horror film, but not one I see myself watching often. It is one of those that leaves the kills to the imagination. It makes it so you know what happens but don't show it, so it doesn't have to have an effects budget. Not that it is a bad thing, just a bit weak in this day and age of horror. I just found the whole thing on the slow side.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2023, 06:06:58 PM »
     All Hallows' Eve (2013/United States)

Image Entertainment (United States)
Director:Damien Leone
Writing:Damien Leone (Writer), Damien Leone (Story By), Jesse Baget (Story By)
Length:83 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:

Stars:
Mike Giannelli as Art the clown
Katie Maguire as Sarah
Catherine Callahan as Caroline
Marie Maser
Kayla Lian as Casey

Plot:
Beautiful, unsuspecting Sarah is looking forward to a quiet Halloween night at home with the two young teens she's babysitting. Then, she discovers an unmarked old VHS videotape in one of the kid's bags of candy. On the tape: a series of wildly outlandish tales of murder, torture and unearthly mayhem, all somehow linked to a diabolical clown-from-hell. As each tale ratchets up the terror, bizarre phenomena begin to occur in the house, as Sarah discovers that the grimacing, white-faced clown on the video may be saving his most horrific All Hallows' Eve treat... just for her.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

This is of course the very first appearance of Art the Clown. I found this one not only to be on the weird side of things, but also to be on the gruesome side of things as well. Not that this is a bad thing, but things were happening so fast and in the dark so much that I was having a bit of a hard time keeping up. Though I did enjoy and can see myself watching again.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2023, 02:05:54 AM »
     Terrifier (2017/United States)

Epic Pictures (United States)
Director:Damien Leone
Writing:Damien Leone (Writer)
Length:84 min.
Video:Widescreen 2:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital EX: 5.1 (Matrixed 6.1), Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Jenna Kanell as Tara
Samantha Scaffidi as Victoria
David Howard Thornton as Art the Clown
Catherine Corcoran as Dawn
Pooya Mohseni as Cat Lady

Plot:
A maniacal clown named ART terrorizes three young women on Halloween night and everyone else who stands in his way!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Interviews
  • Reversible Cover

My Thoughts:

This is the second appearance of Art the Clown... him basically getting his own movie here. The story line is really good and the effects are decent. Of course, much like All Hallow's Eve, the gore is beyond excessive. I myself don't mind excessive gore but think the warning should be there for those who do. This movie proved that Art the Clown is anything but human. Which makes me want to know more about him. Makes me wonder if there is any back story on him in Terrifier 2. But alas I don't have that one.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2023, 02:21:26 AM »
Theater Visit
Exorcist: Believer (2023)

Plot:
DO YOU BELIEVE?
Since the death of his wife 12 years ago, Victor Fielding has raised their daughter, Angela on his own. But when Angela and her friend Katherine disappear in the woods, only to return three days later with no memory of what happened to them, it unleashes a chain of events that will force Victor to confront the nadir of evil and, in his terror and desperation, seek out the only person alive who has witnessed anything like it before: Chris MacNeil.

My Thoughts:
I been wanting to see this since the first trailer I seen. I was so happy when my friend invited me to go see it with her! While I would say i still prefer the original film, this one comes close! i felt the story was great, cast did a fantastic job and the effects were amazing. I really loved every minute of it! And this is coming from someone who grew up watching the original film. I do think the beginning before the possession of the girls was a bit on the slow side, but once the possession took hold I was on the edge of my seat. And i must say I loved the very last scene of the film!

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2023, 05:54:42 AM »
     Midnight Mass: Fright Flicks (2003/United States)

Lions Gate Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Tony Mandile
Writing:Tony Mandile (Original Material By), F. Paul Wilson (Original Material By)
Length:98 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:

Stars:
Douglas Gibson as Fr. Joe Cahill
Pamela Karp as Gwen Waters
Marvin W. Scwartz as Fr. Alberto Palmeri
Julia Cornish as Raven
David Dwyer [Dave Dwyer] as Carl Edwards

Plot:
In a world that has been taken over by vampires, Father Joe, a once reputed and respected priest who had been forced out of his parish, and his unlikely friend, a militant atheist, go to war against the vampire invasion that threatens to suck the blood out of the human race's veins.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

This one is a different type of vampire movie. This film shows if they were to work together and were able to take over the world. Would we be able to take control of the world back? I enjoyed this one. Yes, it is a low budget film, but I liked what they did with what they had. Enjoyable... worth the time put in to watch it.
Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2023, 06:02:22 AM »
     Friday the 13th (1980/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Warner Home Video (United States)
Director:Sean S. Cunningham
Writing:Victor Miller (Writer)
Length:95 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Betsy Palmer as Mrs. Voorhees
Adrienne King as Alice
Jeannine Taylor as Marcie
Robbi Morgan as Annie
Kevin Bacon (1958) as Jack

Plot:
A new owner and several young counselors gather to reopen Camp Crystal Lake where a young boy drowned and several vicious murders occurred years earlier. They've ignored the locals' warnings that the place has a death curse... and one by one they find out how unlucky Friday the 13th can be as they are stalked by a violent killer.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:

This is, of course, the one that started it all. Definitely a classic when it comes to horror. I feel it is a good movie... definitely worth watching... but I have seen better. I really liked the character of Alice in this one. For some reason I keep forgetting there is a young Kevin Bacon in this movie until I watch it again.
Rating:
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2023, 02:59:09 AM »
Cool to see you always do it after all those years :thumbup:

No physical release yet but it's a film a friend of mine did and I was a backer (my first film credit  :laugh:).

The film isn't perfect but it isn't bad at all, so if you feel like it it's streaming on Tubi...

https://tubitv.com/movies/703231/the-last-frankenstein

BTW long time no see... who is always always here?

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2023, 09:36:53 AM »
BTW long time no see... who is always always here?
Nice to hear from you, Jimmy. Currently I feel very lonely here. Pete sometimes pops in now, which is great :)
First I was very absent because I had hardly time for DVDs/Blu-rays. And now that I am back more regularly, Karsten has lost interest. So it has gotten very very quiet here.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2023, 09:50:53 PM »
I am so far behind on writing the reviews... doubt I will catch up now. I am up to 50 movies watched... just can't catch up with writing the reviews!
Pete