Author Topic: Horror/Halloween Marathon 2023  (Read 6376 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Horror/Halloween Marathon 2023
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2023, 01:05:00 AM »
I am sure you have this next one... after all today is Stephen King's birthday so had to get in one or two of his today!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2023, 01:05:14 AM »
     Pet Sematary (1989/United States)

Paramount (United States)
Director:Mary Lambert
Writing:Stephen King (1947) (Original Material By), Stephen King (1947) (Screenwriter)
Length:103 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Russian: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Italian: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, French: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Czech: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, German: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Japanese: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: Mono, Hungarian: Dolby Digital: Mono, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:Chinese, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai

Stars:
Dale Midkiff as Louis Creed
Fred Gwynne as Jud Crandall
Denise Crosby as Rachel Creed
Brad Greenquist as Victor Pascow
Michael Lombard as Irwin Goldman

Plot:
The terrifying tale by Stephen King is also a beloved adaptation of the best-selling author's work. Newly remastered in 4K for its 30th Anniversary, Pet Sematary follows the tragic story of the Creed family. After their cat is accidentally killed, a friendly neighbor advises its bural in a mysterious nearby cemetery. When the cat comes back, it's only the beginning of an unthinkable evil leading to hell and back. Sometimes, so it seems, dead is better.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:

This has been one of my favorites for years. I been a big fan of Stephen King for a many years... I am also a fan of Denise Crosby. It was also fun to see Fred Gwynne as well. So both the writing and the cast is a plus for me. The atmosphere here is excellent. The story line is very good. While Louis is obviously a smart man what with him being a doctor and all... this story shows time and time again he is not a very wise man. He seems to lose himself more and more as the story goes on. This is definitely a film I would recommend... well worth the time put in to watch it!

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2023, 03:33:50 AM »
     Annabelle (2014/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Warner Home Video (United States)
Director:John R. Leonetti
Writing:Gary Dauberman (Writer)
Length:99 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Portuguese, Spanish

Stars:
Annabelle Wallis as Mia
Ward Horton as John
Tony Amendola as Father Perez
Alfre Woodard as Evelyn
Kerry O'Malley as Sharon Higgins

Plot:
In this thriller based on the terrifying doll from The Conjuring, John has found the perfect gift for his wife, Mia – a rare vintage doll. But Mia's delight with Annabelle doesn't last long.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:

While I enjoyed this one, I found it to not be quite as good as The Conjuring, I just found my intrest drift off the movie with some scenes. But definitely worth the time out in to watch it.

Rating:
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2023, 02:45:06 PM »
I am sure you have this next one... after all today is Stephen King's birthday so had to get in one or two of his today!

I have heard of it  ;)
I have even seen it (or part of it). It must have been in the 90s. I remember, that I knew Denise Crosby from Star Trek TNG and Dale Midkiff from Time Trax.
But I don't have it in my collection though.

I recently rewatched Shawshank Redemption. Does that count? :tease:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2023, 09:09:47 PM »
     Cobweb (2023/United States)

Lionsgate (United States)
Director:
Writing:
Length:88 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.39:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:

Plot:
Eight-year-old Peter is plagued by a mysterious, constant tap, tap from inside his bedroom wall – a tapping that his parents insist is all in his imagination. As Peter's fear intensifies, he believes that his parents (Lizzy Caplan and Antony Starr) could be hiding a terrible, dangerous secret and questions their trust. And for a child, what could be more frightening than that?

Extras:

My Thoughts:

This is another film I found at the library. While a decent film nothing I found great. Towards the middle I found myself getting a little on the bored side. The story while I wouldn't exactly say predictable, I also wouldn't say exciting. I wouldn't be completely against adding this one to my collection, but I would have to find it really on the cheap side.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2023, 02:03:21 AM »
     The People Under the Stairs: Collector's Edition (1991/United States)
Shout! Factory, Scream Factory (United States)
Director:Wes Craven
Writing:Wes Craven (Writer)
Length:102 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, English: DTS-HD Master Audio: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Brandon Adams as Fool
Everett McGill as Man
Wendy Robie as Woman
A. J. Langer [A.J. Langer] as Alice
Ving Rhames as Leroy

Plot:
Wes Craven, the director of A Nightmare on Elm Street and Scream, takes you on a terrifying journey inside the most demented house on the street. Trapped inside a fortified home owned by a mysterious couple, a young boy is suddenly thrust into a nightmare.

The boy quickly learns the true nature of the house's homicidal inhabitants and the secret creautres hidden deep within the house.

Starring Everett McGill (Twin Peaks, Dune), Wendy Robie (Twin Peaks), Brandon Adams (The Mighty Ducks), Ving Rhames (Piranha 3D, Mission: Impossible), A.J. Langer (Escape From L.A.) and Sean Whalen (Rob Zombie's Halloween II, Hatchet III), The People Under The Stairs will grab you when you least expect it... and never let go.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Interviews

My Thoughts:

This is the first time I watched this movie in quite a while. This is a bit of a weird movie, I grant you... but it is one that I enjoyed quite a bit. The couple in this movie is so over the top it isn't even funny. But it is entertaining to say the least. I really liked the kid that played the 13yr old boy nicknamed Fool that takes on this strange and sadistic couple to save his family... and then going back to save the other kids he met that the couple has trapped in the house. This is not what I would call a gory movie... but some of the things seen here is a bit on the bloody side. Not to mention things a little hard to look at... like "Daddy" in full leather fetish gear trying to hunt down Fool. Over-all it is a movie I enjoyed quite a bit. Glad I finally got around to watching it again.

This blu-ray release makes for a nice upgrade... especially considering there was no extras what so ever on the DVD release.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2023, 09:53:13 PM »
     Happy Death Day (2017/United States)

Universal Pictures Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Christopher Landon
Writing:Scott Lobdell (Writer)
Length:96 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Spanish: DTS: 5.1, French: DTS: 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround

Stars:
Jessica Rothe as Tree Gelbman
Israel Broussard as Carter Davis
Ruby Modine as Lori Spengler
Charles Aitken as Gregory Butler
Laura Clifton as Stephanie Butler

Plot:
Blumhouse (Split, Get Out, Whiplash) produces this original and inventive rewinding thriller in which a blissfully self-centered co-ed (Jessica Rothe, La La Land) is doomed to relive the day of her murder unless she can identify her masked assailant and hopefully stop the madness. If she can't, she will be stuck in an insane loop, reliving a ghoulish nightmare that has become her death day.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:

This film was a pleasant surprise for me. While I have always liked time loop movies (Groundhog Day, etc.) I was a little nervous about this one going just by the trailer. After watching it I found that I liked the characters, the storyline kept my interest and last but not least they killed her off in some creative ways. I can easily see myself watching this one again. Definitely feel coffinite recommending this one.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2023, 12:01:50 AM »
     Happy Death Day 2U (2019/United States)

Universal Pictures Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Christopher Landon
Writing:Christopher Landon (Writer), Scott Lobdell (Original Characters By)
Length:100 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Spanish: DTS: 5.1, French: DTS: 5.1

Stars:
Jessica Rothe as Tree Gelbman
Israel Broussard as Carter Davis
Phi Vu as Ryan Phan
Suraj Sharma as Samar Ghosh
Sarah Yarkin as Andrea "Dre" Morgan

Plot:
It's déjà vu all over again for Tree Gelbman, the snarky sorority sister who solved her own murder by repeatedly reliving her death. When the masked campus killer mysteriously returns to terrorize new targets, Tree cycles through another time loop of clever chills and suspense in HAPPY DEATH 2U, the inventive follow-up to Blumhouse's hit thriller HAPPY DEATH DAY.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:

This was a good sequel. I liked how it continued right from the first one. I also liked how it gave the explanation for the time loops. Another thing that I like is that the film doesn't take itself too seriously and does have fun with itself. While I would say I liked the first one more, this one is still well worth the time put into it to watch. Definitely recommended.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2023, 04:47:14 AM »
     Blumhouse's Fantasy Island (2020/United States)

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Jeff Wadlow
Writing:Jeff Wadlow (Writer), Chris Roach (Writer), Jillian Jacobs (Writer)
Length:109 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
Michael Peña as Mr. Roarke
Maggie Q as Gwen Olsen
Lucy Hale (1989) as Melanie Cole
Austin Stowell as Patrick Sullivan
Jimmy O. Yang as Brax Weaver

Plot:
In Blumhouse's Fantasy Island, the enigmatic Mr Roarke (Michael Peña) makes the secret dreams of his lucky guests come true at a luxurious but remote tropical resort. But when the fantasies turn into nightmares, the guests have to solve the island's mystery in order to escape with their lives. Also starring Maggie Q, Lucy Hale, Austin Stowell, Jimmy O. Yang and Ryan Hansen.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Unrated and Theatrical Versions

My Thoughts:

I noticed I am really in the minority on this one. But I enjoyed it quite a bit. It has good cast, and the story kept my interest with ease. Going by the trailer I seen for this film, it is what I expected going in. A movie of be careful what you ask for... you just might get it.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2023, 12:45:56 AM »
     The Possession of Hannah Grace (2018/United States)

Director:Diederik van Rooijen
Writing:Brian Sieve (Writer)
Length:86 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Spanish: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
Shay Mitchell as Megan Reed
Grey Damon as Andrew Kurtz
Kirby Johnson as Hannah Grace/Cadaver
Nick Thune as Randy
Louis Herthum as Man/Killer/Grainger

Plot:
A shocking exorcism spirals out of control, claiming the life of a young woman. Months later, Megan Reed (Shay Mitchell) is working the graveyard shift in the morgue when she takes delivery of a disfigured cadaver. Locked alone inside the basement corridors, Megan begins to experience horrifying visions and starts to suspect that the body may be possessed by a ruthless demonic force.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:

A decent film but I have seen better in its sub-genre. I really wasn't familiar with any of the cast, but they did a fine job. Not a bad waste of an hour and a half. I can see watching it again.

Rating:
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2023, 01:13:08 PM »
Happy Death Day sounds interesting. I will keep an eye out for it.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2023, 01:39:43 AM »
     Insidious (2011/United States)
Trailer |IMDb |Wikipedia |
Director:James Wan
Writing:Leigh Whannell (Writer)
Length:103 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Patrick Wilson (1973) as Josh Lambert
Rose Byrne as Renai Lambert
Ty Simpkins as Dalton Lambert
Lin Shaye (1944) as Elise Rainier
Leigh Whannell as Specs

Plot:
From the makers of Paranormal Activity, INSIDIOUS is the terrifying story of a family who, shortly after moving, discovers that dark spirits have possessed their home and that their son has inexplicably fallen into a coma. Trying to escape the haunting and save their son, they move again only to realize that it was not their house that was haunted.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • BD-Live

My Thoughts:

This is my third time viewing it now. I did like the film but found I didn't care about the characters as much as I should have. The atmosphere was good... but not great. Though it did have some pretty cool visuals.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2023, 03:39:10 AM »
     Insidious: Chapter 2 (2013/United States)
Trailer |IMDb |Wikipedia |
Director:James Wan
Writing:Leigh Whannell (Original Characters By), James Wan (Story By), Leigh Whannell (Story By), Leigh Whannell (Screenwriter)
Length:106 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
Patrick Wilson (1973) as Josh Lambert
Rose Byrne as Renai Lambert
Barbara Hershey as Lorraine Lambert
Ty Simpkins as Dalton Lambert

Plot:
How deep into the darkness will you go to discover the truth? The terrifying sequel to Insidious follows the haunted Lambert family as they seek to uncover the mysterious childhood secret that has left them dangerously connected to the spirit world. They must rely on familiar allies to exile the demons that follow them and unearth the secret before the evil continues its deadly rampage. Patrick Wilson, Rose Byrne and Barbara Hershey reprise their roles in the film directed by James Wan (Insidious, The Conjuring).

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:

A good continuation of the first film. It filled in some of the wholes that was in the first which is always appreciated. Other than that I felt much the same as the first. So for a decent franchise. But not what I would call a favorite.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2023, 04:25:29 AM »
     The Lost Boys (1987/United States)
Warner Home Video (United States)
Director:Joel Schumacher
Writing:Janice Fischer (Story By), James Jeremias (Story By), Janice Fischer (Screenwriter), James Jeremias (Screenwriter), Jeffrey Boam (Screenwriter)
Length:97 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, German: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Italian: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish

Stars:
Jason Patric as Michael
Corey Haim as Sam
Dianne Wiest as Lucy
Barnard Hughes as Grandpa
Edward Herrmann [Ed Herrmann] as Max

Plot:
Sam and his older brother Michael are average, everyday teens. But after they move with their mother to peaceful Santa Clara, California, things mysteriously begin to change. Michael's not himself lately. And Mom's not going to like what he's turning into.

The Lost Boys reshapes vampire tradition, deftly mixing heart-pounding terror, rib-tickling laughs and a body-gyrating rock soundtrack. Under Joel Schumacher's direction, a marvelous cast – Jason Patric, Jami Gertz, Kiefer Sutherland, Corey Feldman, Corey Haim, Barnard Hughes, Edward Herrmann and Dianne Wiest – stakes you to gleefully ghoulish entertainment.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Interactive Games
  • Multi-angle
  • Music Videos

My Thoughts:

I am sure it is partially nostalgia for me... but this is one of my favorite vampire films. It is one I have seen countless times...one that I never tire of. This movie is the first thing I ever seen Kiefer Sutherland in... and I think he did an awesome job in it. I also think Jason Patric did a great job as Michael. and I definitely couldn't help but to enjoy the Old Fart (Grandpa)... I just get such a kick out of him and all the stuffed animals he gave to Sam. Definitely one I would highly recommend to any horror fan... especially vampire fans. Though I do believe most all horror fans probably seen this one by now!

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2023, 04:19:30 AM »
     Insidious: Chapter 3 (2015/United States)

Director:Leigh Whannell
Writing:Leigh Whannell (Writer), Leigh Whannell (Original Characters By)
Length:97 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
Dermot Mulroney as Sean Brenner
Stefanie Scott (1996) as Quinn Brenner
Angus Sampson as Tucker
Leigh Whannell as Specs

Plot:
Go back to the beginning... in this chilling prequel that takes place before the unforgettable haunting of the Lambert family. When paranormal investigators Tucker and Specs team up with psychic Elise to help a teenage girl contact her late mother, Elise is forced to venture back into The Further where she finds a ruthless supernatural entity craving the souls of the living. It's the darkest chapter yet in this spine-tingling portrayal of evil unleashed.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:

I was going to stop after the first two. Now I am glad I didn't as this one brought a whole new interest into the series for me. It seems the characters I really didn't care about was the Lambert Family from the first two movies. Taking them out of the films helped me enjoy them so much more. I really liked the young girl and her father in this one.

Rating:
Pete