Author Topic: My PILOT Marathon  (Read 35182 times)

richierich

Re: My PILOT Marathon
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2009, 10:09:41 PM »
Man About The House - Complete Series One

Episode 1 - Three's a Crowd
Chrissy and Jo have a farewell party for their flatmate, who is moving out, now that she's engaged. The morning after the party, they find Robin in their bathtub, asleep. They need a new flatmate, and he needs a place to live, so it seems like a match made in heaven, and they invite him to move in. There's just one problem: Mr. and Mrs. Roper, the landlords, may not think that this idea is such a good one.

One of Thames' most successful comedy series, "Man About The House" spawned equally popular spin-offs: "Robin's Nest" and "George and Mildred".
The perks and pitfalls of mixed flat-sharing are brought home when Robin Tripp, played by Richard O'Sullivan, moves into Jo and Chrissy's London apartment. Meanwhile, their landlords, the Ropers, keep a watchful eye on their goings-on.

Fun 70's sitcom, starring O'Sullivan who was at the top of his game at this point, the laughs still come thick and fast and this has not dated at all. Felt very nostalgic watchng this, the Ropers downstairs (pilot review of George and Mildred to come) are a great double act, and the fashions hysterical. Innocently and amusingly politically incorrect, oh how much simpler life was back then! Very short episodes as these originally were broadcast with adverts, but despite this still very enjoyable.
Another British classic.
 ;D
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 10:29:58 PM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2009, 10:34:52 PM »
Being Human - Series One

Episode 1
The 3 housemates are discovering the difficulties of living in the human world, with vampire Mitchell struggling to repress his desire for blood, ghost Annie being confronted by another ghost from her past, and werewolf George looking for a place he can undergo his transformation in safety.

Mitchell, George and Annie are three seemingly normal flatmates struggling to keep their dark secrets from the world.
Good-looking and laid-back Mitchell (Aidan Turner) might have a way with the ladies – but he is also a blood-sucking vampire struggling with going cold-turkey from the blood he craves. Then, every time there is a full moon, his geeky hospital porter mate, George (Russell Tovey), starts turning into a flesh-hungary werewolf. And when the two outsiders move in together to live a 'normal' life, they find they have a resident ghost – recently deceased Annie (Lenora Crichlow), who is still pining for her living fiancé – the landlord of the flat.
And Being Human isn't easy – try holding down a career and keeping a girlfriend when there are unwelcome intruders in your supernatural life, strange stirrings in the vampire underworld and a constant threat of exposure.

Despite this not being the original set of actors as the 'real pilot' it was clearly shown much later as the writers took great care in introducing the main characters, and how they became to be as they are. It is slickly written and produced, with a nice blend of drama, comedy and light horror. My favourite character is of course George, and keen to see how his storyline progresses. Altogether very impressed with this 'pilot' episode and the potential shown.
I will view the balance of this series very soon.
 ;D
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 11:12:52 PM by Rich »

northbloke

« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2009, 11:30:31 PM »
I'm curious to know, does the Being Human DVD include the actual pilot episode where the vampire and ghost were played by Guy Flanagan and Andrea Riseborough? Or does it only include the actual first full series?

richierich

« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2009, 11:41:41 PM »
I'm curious to know, does the Being Human DVD include the actual pilot episode where the vampire and ghost were played by Guy Flanagan and Andrea Riseborough? Or does it only include the actual first full series?

Damn I didn't know about that :(
This is first episode, but not the pilot aired in 2008 with mostly different cast.
Is the actual pilot available anywhere on dvd?

northbloke

« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2009, 11:54:28 PM »
Not that I know of, I was hoping maybe they'd have put it on as an extra or something.
I'll double check cause I think I taped it off air at the time and may have kept it if you want a copy.
I was just hoping for a good quality version of it on the disc.

richierich

« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2009, 11:23:39 PM »
Big Deal - Series One

Episode 1 - Red Lady, Black Night

Complete first series of the 1980s BBC comedy. Robbie Box (Ray Brooks) is a family man and an all-round nice guy, apart from one little problem - his gambling habit. Addicted to the bookies and to gambling dens, Robbie starts to make a concerted effort to give up. Also starring Sharon Duce and Ray Brooks.

Excuse me whilst I get some nostalgic 80's Britishness out of my system.....Tartan bitter, pound notes, bottled milk on every doorstep, choppers, harrington jacket, individual high-streets, mullets, sideburns and pints of skol - good times.
Back to the days when a middle aged, non-working gambling addict could be a hero, this series was a must see and it was good to revisit this programme. Ray Brooks was perfect for the role as the means good but always missing the big one lead, and his gorgeous girlfriend (I used to love older women) Sharon Duce who puts up with his antics.
Totally incorrect politically and ethically in todays age (unfortunately) it is entertaining stuff for 80's Brits, but I doubt it would hold much interest beyond this.
 :D
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 11:40:46 PM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2009, 11:45:43 PM »
Filthy, Rich and Catflap - The Complete Series 1

The Milkman Always Rings Twice
Richie wakes up feeling sexy then discovers Eddie is also in his bed. Richie worries that he has caught Eddie's 'trouser rash.' Eddie has his head under the back of Richie's robe on a rash hunt when the milkman walks in. Richie smashes the milkman over the head with some milk bottles and inadvertently kills him. They hide the bod in the cub. Soon, several more milkmen die as Richie and Eddie dash to the hospital to foil a paternity suit being brought against Richie in a dastardly plot to get hold of Richie's cash.

Filthy, Rich and Catflap is the tale of Richie Rich, a talentless and unheard-of television personality; Ralph Filthy, his useless, sponging agent; and Eddie Catflap, his alcoholic minder - both involved in helping (hindering) Richie's quest for TV fame and glory.
Unfortunately, Filthy never gets Richie any work and his minder Eddie is more than willing to administer extreme physical violence should any be visited upon his boss. Probably not the most stable basis from which to launch a career in television

I was never a great fan of the Young Ones, and this is basically a cross between that and the later Bottom series. It is a pretty tired old formula with uninspiring script, sex and fart gags, and the 2 leads basically knocking the shite out of each other. Not surprising this only got 1 series, and I recall talk at the time of a rift between writer Ben Elton and Rik Mayall.
Unless you were a major Young Ones/Bottom fan I'd steer clear of this, the pilot does not entice me to watch more.
 :yawn:
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 11:23:30 AM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2009, 11:23:03 AM »
Swinging - Series One

Episode 1

A sketch show from Channel 5 which centres around relationships. The six episodes from Series 1 include the characters: Carla The Fussy Lay, Snobby Doggers, Prisoners Of Love, Miss Beasley, Sex Therapist, The Camp Fiancee, Tom's Parents, The Horse Whisperer, Nostalgic Guy and Wrong Boyfriend

Vulgar and shock TV can sometimes be funny. Sadly on this pilot episode for a relatively unknown channel 5 series the laughs came thin and slow. It is a format of short sketches with repeating characters, all loosely linked to sex and swinging.
Pretty base and pointless stuff, unknown cast, untested formula, I guess Ch5 were hoping the shock value may increase their profile on UK terrestrial TV - it didn't work.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 12:29:46 AM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2009, 12:40:09 AM »
Teachers - Series One

Episode 1
On his 26th birthday Simon is persuaded to steal a statue from Summerdown School. He spends the next week worried the authoritarian Claire will find out.
Simon also gets it in the neck from Jenny, who feels he is too undisciplined, and he's in for a shock when he realizes his girlfriend Maggie is in fact a police officer.

The debut series of Channel 4's comedy drama TEACHERS revolves around the lives, loves, and lost homework of a young group of school teachers. Andrew Lincoln (THIS LIFE) stars as Simon, a feckless English teacher whose enthusiasm is somewhat eroded by his sharp-tongued and uninspired Year Eights. In addition to problematic pupils, he finds himself and his equally hapless colleagues having to spark up in the toilets whilst the formidable Head of Year attempts to glean countless unstarted bits of marking and reports off him. The action follows the teachers' arbitrary attitudes to their own work and includes many school-night drunken confessionals and adolescent antics. Also starring Nina Sosanya, Richard Dale, and Jeremy Lovering.

Surprisingly good gritty comedy, still totally up to date, graphic and addictive.
Probably not a great idea for me to watch as my daughter has just landed her first job as a teacher, but totally hilarious in so many ways, and I understand many of the scenarios and characters have been lifted from reality. A lot of swearing, boozing and bonking, but not overboard.
I will come back to watch the rest of my series of Teachers based on this pilot.
 ;D
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 11:20:47 PM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2009, 11:27:30 PM »
Doc Martin - Series One

Episode 1 - Going Bodmin
Dr. Martin Ellingham gives up life as a London surgeon, to become a GP in the sleepy Cornish hamlet of Portwenn

Martin Clunes stars in Doc Martin, a brand new comedy drama, as a doctor whose truculence and tactless manner causes mayhem in a small Cornish community.
Martin plays surgeon Martin Ellingham, whose glittering career comes crashing down around him when he develops a phobia which prevents him conducting operations. He makes a life changing decision to retrain as a GP, and applies for a vacant post in the sleepy Cornish hamlet of Portwenn, where he spent childhood holidays. If the patients are expecting tea and sympathy from their curmudgeonly GP they are going to be disappointed. Despite his surgical brilliance, he has no personal skills, and his understanding of humans is practically non existent.

Homely and comfy Sunday night comedy, Clunes is excellent as the Brit doctor with a House like bedmanner. Quirky pilot storyline that introduces us to the main characters for the series, and they pace and style of the programming. Looks like a nice gentle series that can be picked up on an as and when basis to slowly savour.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 12:22:12 AM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2009, 11:33:16 PM »
Monarch Of The Glen

Episode 1
Young restaurant owner Archie MacDonald is called urgently from London back to his ailing fathers bedside in the ancestral home in Scotland, Glenbogle. He soon discovers that Hector has nothing worse than a cold and his sweet but dotty mother Molly has called him home on a pretext and has worked events so he can't easily escape back to London.

Inspired by the highland novels of Compton Mackenzie, this show follows Archie MacDonald as he finds himself thrown into the role of the new Laird of Glenbogle, his family's financially failing Scottish estate. With the help, and sometimes hinderance, of his family and faithful retainers he works to get the noble estate back on its feet.

Dull, charmless and twee melodrama/comedy that sparked no interest through it's pilot episode.
Clearly not every great series is preceded by a wonderful 1st/pilot offering, but there was nothing here in terms of characters, storyline, actors or direction that generated any level of enthusiasm to rush back and watch further offerings. I am sure it must improve as it had such a long run, but for me it is a dead duck from the get-go.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 01:23:06 AM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2009, 01:26:44 AM »
Secret Diary Of A Call Girl - Series 1

Episode 1
Meet Belle, a high-priced high-class prostitute who explains her life and her adventures. She meets with her clients and runs into some problems when she breaks her own rules.

Hannah is more than she appears to be in Secret Diary of a Call Girl. Hannah is also Belle, one of the top high class call girls in the city of London. Hannah and Belle have the same common goal; to make as much money as possible while they still can

I was very surprised on how much i enjoyed this, as I had expected it to be just a softcore flimsy series. However it has substantially more substance and interest, a very interesting character lead, and a slick professional production and directive style.
Piper is incredibly sexy, sensual and watchable, and the mixture of various small characters and their 'quirks' works well.
Fascinating little series and certainly recommended at the budget price now available.
 ;D
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 10:54:48 PM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #72 on: September 06, 2009, 11:01:13 PM »
Doctor Who - The New Series - Vol. 1

Rose
When Rose Tyler meets a mysterious stranger called the Doctor, her life will never be the same again. Soon, she realises that her mum, her boyfriend, and the whole of Planet Earth are in danger. The only hope for salvation lies inside a strange blue box...

Meet the new Doctor and his companion Rose as, together, they set out across space and time in a series of exhilarating adventures and deadly confrontations.

Having seen several episodes haphazardly I knew what to expect from this pilot, but am still disappointed when I compare it to the classics of yesteryear. The 'humour' and slapstick is laid on much too thick, and the storyline of this first episode too farcical.
However I think the combination of Ecclestone and Piper shows promise, and the introduction of how they meet and the chemistry between them is excellent.
Altogether a reasonable taster, albeit I'll always be a greater fan of the old doctors.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 12:36:15 AM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #73 on: September 07, 2009, 12:40:43 AM »
Commander In Chief - Series 1

Pilot
Mackenzie Allen, who serves as Vice President of the United States, has a tough decision to make, whether or not to go against the wishes of the dying current President. He has asked her to step down and let someone a little more appropriate take his place in the Oval Office. However, it's not only the President that is calling for her resignation, it's her entire party which elected her as the Vice President to start with.

Geena Davis lights up the screen as President Mackenzie Allen, earning a Golden Globe® award for Best Actress in the show's inaugural season. Experience the first ten thrilling episodes of the captivating drama, starring Davis, Emmy® Award winner Donald Sutherland and an acclaimed cast.
When the President of the United States dies in office, his independent Vice President ventures into territory no woman has ever entered before. Now, the nation's first female Commander In Chief must balance the pressures of running the country and the responsibility of raising a family - while facing a sustained torrent of underhanded attacks from the Speaker Of The House (Sutherland). It's an exhilarating blend of suspense and drama that O, The Oprah Magazine calls, "realistic and riveting!"

This pilot was a little bit too 'god bless America' for my taste, although it surely will become more interesting as the large array of characters and acting talent available come into their own.
The whole first woman as president, but only by default, and how she has to juggle three sickeningly nice kids and appease a husband who was her chief of staff, is so far-fetched and written for the masses that I think they missed a trick.
As the first episode it didn't create much impact, but I will come back to at least give the first series a go in due course.
 :-\
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 10:06:41 AM by Rich »

richierich

« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2009, 10:09:42 AM »
Apparitions

Episode One
Father Jacob is approached by a young woman who believes her father is possessed. He is initially skeptical but- against the advice of his church colleagues- agrees to perform an exorcism.

The damned are not content to burn in hell any longer.
There is one man they must destroy before they can be free.
Father Jacob is drawn into a terrifying struggle for his faith and his life.
Witnessing startling acts of supernatural possession, demonic attacks, and satanic births.
Exorcism is his only weapon but it may not be enough.
God doesn’t always answer our prayers.

Very impressive pilot, the acting, especially Martin Shaw, is top notch, and the storyline and direction created a convincing and atmospheric horror/suspense backdrop. The initial episode dealing with certain characters possessed by satan, was unnervingly good and I was surprised by how good the effects were and that this passed a 15 certificate.
Will watch the remainder of this potentially great series during my October horror marathon.
 ;D
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 11:14:54 PM by Rich »