Author Topic: That Time of Year Again: Halloween/Horror Reviews 2018!  (Read 17687 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
That Time of Year Again: Halloween/Horror Reviews 2018!
« on: October 01, 2018, 03:37:18 AM »
Halloween/Horror Reviews 2018!
Woohoo! October finally here! It is time for a month long Horror-thon! This year I plan on tracking how many of which kind of horror as well as the total number of films watched.

Totals:
Vampires: 10
Werewolves: 2
Ghosts/Hauntings: 6
Zombies: 0
Witches: 2
Anthologies: 3
Other: 10

Grand Total: 33
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 08:58:35 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: That Time of Year Again: Halloween/Horror Reviews 2018!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 06:20:16 PM »
     Truth or Dare: Unrated Directors Cut (2018/United States)
Wikipedia |Trailer |
Universal Pictures Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Jeff Wadlow
Writing:Michael Reisz (Screenwriter), Jillian Jacobs (Screenwriter), Chris Roach (Screenwriter), Jeff Wadlow (Screenwriter), Michael Reisz (Story By)
Length:101 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.39:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Spanish: DTS: 5.1, French: DTS: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Lucy Hale as Olivia Barron
Tyler Posey as Lucas Moreno
Violett Beane as Markie Cameron
Hayden Szeto as Brad Chang
Sophia Ali as Penelope Amari

Plot:
Lucy Hale (Pretty Little Liars) and Tyler Posey (Teen Wolf) lead the cast of Blumhouse's True or Dare, a supernatural thrilller from Blumhouse Productions (Happy Death Day, Get Out). A harmless game of "Truth or Dare" among friends turns deadly when someone—or something—begins to punish those who tell a lie—or refuse the dare...

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Featurettes
  • BD-Live
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:

I originally bought this film for to reasons. First of all the plot piqued my intrest. And then there is the fact that it stars Lucy Hale... who I liked since she played the little sister of Jaime Summers in the short lived reboot of Bionic Woman. After watching it I found a fun and entertaining film. Though the one thing I found to be a bit over the top is the smiles that are supposed to look evil and spooky.They only came across as cheesy. But over all I really enjoyed this one. Worth the time put in to watch it.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 10:32:30 PM »
     Leatherface (2017/United States)

Lionsgate (United States)
Director:Julien Maury, Alexandre Bustillo
Writing:Kim Henkel (Original Characters By), Tobe Hooper (Original Characters By), Seth M. Sherwood (Screenwriter)
Length:90 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Stephen Dorff (1973) as Hal Hartman
Lili Taylor as Verna
Sam Strike as Jackson
Vanessa Grasse as Lizzy
Finn Jones as Deputy Sorells

Plot:
In Texas, years before the events of The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, in the early days of the infamous Sawyer family, the youngest child is sentenced to a mental hospital after a suspicious incident leaves the sheriff's daughter dead. Ten years later, he kidnaps a young nurse and escapes with three other inmates. Pursued by authorities, including the deranged sheriff out to avenge his daughter's death, the Sawyer teen goes on a violent road trip from hell, molding him into the monster now known as Leatherface.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:

This one I watched on Vudu. I found it has a slow start but it makes up for that in the end. Over all is a good story and plan on adding this one to my collection.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 07:35:08 PM »
     Salem's Lot (1979/United States)
Wikipedia |IMDb |Trailer |
Warner Home Video (United States)
Director:Tobe Hooper
Writing:Stephen King (1947) (Original Material By), Paul Monash (Screenwriter)
Length:183 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono, German: Dolby Digital: Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:Czech, Danish, English, Finnish, French, German, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish, Thai

Stars:
David Soul as Ben Mears
James Mason (1909) as Richard K. Straker
Lance Kerwin as Mark Petrie
Bonnie Bedelia as Susan Norton
Lew Ayres as Jason Berk

Plot:
Sinister events bring together a writer (David Soul) fascinated with an old hilltop house; a suave antiques dealer (James Mason) whose expertise goes beyond bric-a-brac; and the dealer's mysterious, pale-skinned "partner" (Reggie Nalder) in "Salem's Lot" — a blood-curdling shocker based on King's novel and directed by Tobe Hooper (Poltergeist).

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers

My Thoughts:

I have loved this one since the first time I saw it back in my teen years. Of course this is an adaptation from the book that Stephen King wrote. Who of course is my favorite horror writer. For a movie that is almost 40 years old... this movie has some decent scares in it. I personally haven't been scared from it since I was a kid... but I do remember it would scare my wife every time we watched it. A couple of my favorite spooky parts in this movie is ..

1. The kid vampire scratching at his friends window.... pleading with him to let him in.
 2. The grave digger rocking in the rocking chair... looks over at you and hisses at you with his eyes glowing

I am really enjoying watching this one again. As for comparing this one to the remake... that is something I don't normally like to do... but sometimes it is just too hard not to. I really like both versions... like them both a lot! but I think I have to say I enjoy this one the most between the 2. I don't know why... but to me this one is a pure classic when it comes to vampire movies... it is one of the ones to beat!

Needless to say... this is one I would always highly recommend to any horror fan... and an absolute must see for any fan of vampire movies.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 05:16:05 PM »
     Salem's Lot (2004/United States)
IMDb |Trailer |Wikipedia |
Warner Home Video (United States)
Director:Mikael Salomon
Writing:Stephen King (1947) (Original Material By), Peter Filardi (Screenwriter)
Length:181 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
Rob Lowe as Ben Mears
Andre Braugher as Matt Burke
Donald Sutherland as Richard Straker
Samantha Mathis as Susan Norton
Robert Mammone as Dr. James Cody

Plot:
Welcome to Jerusalem's Lot - Salem's Lot, as locals call it. Population: 1319. And growing eerier by the moment. Because an ominous outsider has moved into the sleepy New England town's foreboding Marsten House and brought with him an unspeakable horror.

This powerful new adaptation of Stephen King's terrifying bestseller stars Rob Lowe as a writer who returns to his hometown to confront his haunted past...and who soon leads the fight against a heart-stopping force of evil. Andre Braugher, Donald Sutherland, Samantha Mathis, Rutger Hauer and James Cromwell co-star, and help supply proof that when it comes to thrills, chills and unearthly dread you can't keep the undead down. Walk the streets of Salem's Lot...if you dare.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

I enjoyed watching the original so much today.... that I had the yearning to watch more... so I pulled out the remake. Obviously when I first heard that TNT was doing a miniseries remake of Salem's Lot I was initially very skeptical. But I have to (surprisingly) say... I really enjoyed the remake!... Al,most as much as the original! I think everyone did a fine job with this one... but the one person that stood out for me would have to be Donald Sutherland... I think he really nailed his role as Richard Straker. I would definitely recommend this one as well.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 07:30:32 PM »
     The Craft (1996/United States)
Wikipedia |IMDb |Trailer |
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Andrew Fleming
Writing:Peter Filardi (Screenwriter), Andrew Fleming (Screenwriter), Peter Filardi (Story By)
Length:101 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Portuguese: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:Chinese, English, French, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai, Commentary

Stars:
Robin Tunney as Sarah
Fairuza Balk as Nancy
Neve Campbell as Bonnie
Rachel True as Rochelle
Skeet Ulrich as Chris

Plot:
Sarah has always been different. So as the newcomer at St. Benedict's Academy, she immediately falls in with the high school outsiders. But these girls won't settle for being a group of powerless misfits. They have discovered THE CRAFT, and they are going to use it.

Critics are spellbound, calling THE CRAFT "slick, shrewd, touching, funny and most appropriately, downright mean." -Arthur Salm, San Diego Union-Tribune

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • BD-Live

My Thoughts:

While I seen this film many times... this is the first time I have seen it on Blu-Ray. This is a film that I have enjoyed since the first time I seen it years ago.I think all the girls did a great job in it.. This one depends on the story... as there's not much in it in the terms of gore. This is one I would definitely recommend if you haven;t seen it yet.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 05:57:17 PM »
     The Haunting of Whaley House (2012/)

The Asylum Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Jose Prendes
Writing:Jose Prendes (Writer)
Length:89 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD High Resolution: 5.1
Subtitles:

Stars:
Alex Arleo as Jake
Arielle Brachfeld as Vanessa
Graham Denman as Craig
Stephanie Greco as Penny
Carolina Groppa as Giselle

Plot:
When a tour guide breaks into America's Most Haunted House, a bit of amateur ghost hunting with friends turns into more horror than they could have ever imagined.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Outtakes/Bloopers

My Thoughts:

This is one I never heard of until I bought it. I figured the overview sounded good and it was cheap. I am not disappointed I got it... but it really pretty much an average haunted house flick. It is a decent story and some good effects. I think if they would have polidshed it up just a little more they would really have something. Worth a watch... just don't expect too much.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 07:18:31 PM »
     Underworld: Endless War (2011/United States)

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:
Writing:
Length:17 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:

Stars:
None Credited

Plot:
Follows Selene across 3 separate periods in history as she hunts a group of Lycan brothers.

Extras:
  • Play All
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:

I enjoyed this three part anime short very much.. The entire 3 parts only being 17minutes makes it an extremely easy watch. And the story keeps your intrest with ease. Definitely worth watching!

Rating:
Pete

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2018, 04:55:45 AM »
1.  The Wicker Man - 4/5
2.  Shadow of the Vampire - 3.5/5
3.  Hereditary - 4/5
4.  Calling Dr. Death - 3/5
5.  Weird Woman - 3/5
6.  Dead Man’s Eyes - 3/5
7.  Frozen Ghost - 3/5
8.  The Fall of the House of Usher (1960) - 4/5
9.  Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust - 3.5/5
10.  Inferno (1980) - 3/5
11.  Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key - 4/5
12.  Asylum - 3/5
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2018, 04:55:51 PM »
     The Boy Who Cried Werewolf (2010/United States)

(United States)
Director:Eric Bross
Writing:Art Brown (Writer), Douglas Sloan (Writer)
Length:86 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:

Stars:
Victoria Justice as Jordan
Chase Ellison as Hunter
Anna Galvin as Ms. Carlsberg
Matt Winston (1970) as David
Jillian Marie Hubert as KC

Plot:
Awkward and klutzy Jordan Sands and her annoying little brother Hunter, travel with their dad to Romania to inherit Wolfsberg Manor, an estate left to them by their mysterious great-uncle. But while at the estate, a freak accident causes Jordan to slowly transform into a werewolf!

Extras:
  • None

My Thoughts:

A comedy Horror with a target audiance of preteens to teens. But I still found I enjoyed it quite a bit. What can I say... I may be an old man but I am still a kid at heart. It is a fun film and I loved the fighting between vampires and werewolves. Just a fun film.

Rating:
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 04:58:56 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2018, 08:38:45 PM »
     Saturday the 14th (1981/United States)

(United States)
Director:Howard R. Cohen
Writing:Howard R. Cohen (Screenwriter), Jeff Begun (Story By)
Length:77 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:

Stars:
Richard Benjamin as John
Paula Prentiss as Mary
Jeffrey Tambor as Waldemar
Severn Darden as Van Helsing
Kari Michaelson as Debbie

Plot:
What's in store for a family that disregards a warning in a will and decides to accept their inheritance of a cursed house in Eerie, Pennsylvania? The answer is PLENTY, as John (Richard Benjamin) and Mary (Paula Prentiss) discover in this suspenseful comedy spoof.

A "Book of Evil" has been hidden in the house and when it's opened, it unleashes all the evil in the world. The family is warned that on "Friday the 13th it gets bad, but on Saturday the 14th, it gets worse!"

It's all outrageous fun as John and Mary and their children attempt to exterminate their troubles before their housewarming party just two days away on SATURDAY THE 14TH!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Production Notes

My Thoughts:

This is one I watched constantly in my early teens. I was up for it whenever I spotted it on cable. Then 37 years past. And when I finally watched it again today... I don't know. While I was able to watch it all the way through It just wasn't fun for me anymore. I feel I am being generous rating this one a 2... but I think part of that is nothing more then nostalgia.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2018, 12:07:16 AM »
     Fright Night (2011/United States, India)
Trailer |IMDb |Wikipedia |
Buena Vista Home Entertainment, Touchstone Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Craig Gillespie
Writing:Marti Noxon (Screenwriter), Tom Holland (1943) (Story By), Tom Holland (1943) (Original Material By)
Length:106 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 7.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French

Stars:
Anton Yelchin as Charley Brewster
Colin Farrell (1976) as Jerry
Toni Collette as Jane Brewster
David Tennant as Peter Vincent
Imogen Poots as Amy

Plot:
Meet the sexy new neighbor, Jerry Dandrige (Colin Farrell). He's dangerously charming - and utterly lethal. That's because he just happens to be a vampire, and out for blood...buckets of it. After high school senior Charley Brewster (Anton Yelchin) makes the connection between Jerry's suspicious activity and a steadily rising body count, he vows to end the reign of terror next door. But he can't do it alone. His only hope is Las Vegas magician / vampire-slayer Peter Vincent (David Tennant). Together, this unlikely duo set out to end Jerry's evil rampage. But Jerry is a ruthless, relentless killer, and he's not going down without a fight. Get set to sink your teeth into this thrilling re-vamp of the terrifying horror classic. Featuring a star-studded cast and crawling with bonus, Fright Night will captivate you from the very first bite!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Music Videos
  • Outtakes/Bloopers

My Thoughts:

This is like my third time seeing this film. The original is one of my favorite vampire movies... and this remake is pretty good. I enjoyed it. They leave enough of it the same to pay homage to the original... while changing it enough to make it it's own film. I think Collin Ferrell did a good job of portraying Jerry (the vampire). The one playing Charlie looked familiar but I just couldn't place him. Turns out he played Chekov in Star Trek. The one thing I didn't care for is how they re-did Peter Vincent... making him a Criss Angel wannabe. That character just bugged me in this one. Over-all a decent remake. It is one I would recommend.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2018, 01:57:45 AM »
     Fright Night 2: New Blood: Unrated (2013/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Eduardo Rodriguez
Writing:Matt Venne (Writer), Tom Holland (1943) (Original Characters By)
Length:100 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Will Payne as Charlie Brewster
Jaime Murray as Gerri Dandridge
Sean Power as Peter Vincent
Sacha Parkinson as Amy Peterson
Chris Waller as "Evil" Ed Bates

Plot:
By day Gerri Dandridge is a sexy professor, but by night she transforms into a real-life vampire with an unquenchable thirst for human blood. So when a group of high school students travels abroad to study in Romania, they find themselves ensnared in Gerri's chilling web of lust and terror. Charley and "Evil" Ed must stop Gerri from drinking and bathing in the blood of a "new moon virgin," who just so happens to be Charley's ex-girlfriend, Amy. They enlist help from Peter Vincent, the vampire-hunting host of a reality show called "Fright Night," to drive a stake through Gerri's plan and save Amy from a fate far worse than death.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Digital Copy
  • Webisodes

My Thoughts:

I just finished this one... I enjoyed it but felt they did it in an odd way. They call this part 2... but yet it is not a remake of the original part two... and is not a continuation of the part 1 remake. it is like they completely forgot what they did previously. I did like what they did with the Peter Vincent character this time. Oddly when I first finished watching this one I felt I enjoyed it... but wasn't overly impressed. But the longer I sat back thinking about it the more I liked it. I would say this one is worth checking out.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2018, 07:56:18 PM »
     Blacula (1972/United States)
Trailer |
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios, Shout! Factory (United States)
Director:William Crain
Writing:Joan Torres (Screenwriter), Raymond Koenig (Screenwriter)
Length:93 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: DTS-HD Master Audio: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English

Stars:
William Marshall as Blacula
Vonetta McGee as Tina
Denise Nicholas as Michelle
Thalmus Rasulala as Gordon Thomas
Gordon Pinset as Lt. Peters

Plot:
In 1780, African Prince Mamuwalde (Marshall) pays a visit to Count Dracula in Transylvania, seeking his support in ending slave trade. Instead, the evil count curses his noble guest and transforms him into a vampire! Released from his coffin nearly two centuries later by a pair of luckless interior decorators, Mamuwalde emerges as "Blacula," on strange dude strollin' the streets of L.A. on a nightly quest for human blood!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Gallery

My Thoughts:

While I have heard of the Blacula films I never seen either of them till today. The first thing I notice is that the fangs on several of the vampires were huge. A movie like this you can't take too seriously. And you must remember the times it was made. But over all a fun film that I enjoyed.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2018, 11:08:38 PM »
     Scream Blacula Scream (1973/United States)
Trailer |
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios, Shout! Factory (United States)
Director:Bob Kelljan
Writing:Joan Torres (Screenwriter), Raymond Koenig (Screenwriter), Maurice Jules (Screenwriter), Joan Torres (Story By), Raymond Koenig (Story By)
Length:96 min.
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English

Stars:
William Marshall as Blacula
Don Mitchell as Justin
Pam Grier as Lisa
Michael Conrad as Sheriff Dunlop
Richard Lawson as Willis

Plot:
Blacula lives! This scintillating sequel, Scream, Blacula, Scream, pits voodoo power against vampire fury! Willis Daniels (Richard Lawson), the son of a late high priestess, seeks revenge on the cultists who have chosen his foster sister Lisa (Pam Grier) as their new leader. Hoping to curse Lisa, Willis unwittingly resurrects Blacula's earthly remains – and unleashes the Prince of Darkness and his freaked-out army of the undead!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Gallery
  • Interviews

My Thoughts:

This one is more of the same, I did like them aknowledging the fact that they killed him off in the first movie and had to find a way to bring him back. And this sequel had the added bonus of having Pam Grier in it. Once again worth watching if you keep in mind when the film was made. I highly doubt something like these movies would be made the same way today.

Rating:
Pete