Author Topic: January Movie Marathon: Actresses of Yesteryear  (Read 9928 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: January Movie Marathon: Actresses of Yesteryear
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2018, 11:42:22 PM »
     Captain January (1936/United States)

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:David Butler
Writing:Sam Hellman (Screenwriter), Gladys Lehman (Screenwriter), Harry Tugend (Screenwriter), Laura E. Richards (Original Material By)
Length:77 min.
Video:Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, English: Dolby Digital: Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Shirley Temple as Star
Guy Kibbee as Captain January
Slim Summerville as Captain Nazro
Buddy Ebsen as Paul Roberts
Sara Haden as Agatha Morgan

Plot:
A kind lighthouse keeper and an irrepressible orphan plot to outwit a mean truant officer.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

This is the first Shirley Temple film I have sat through. And I must say... I can see how she became such a child star. She was adorable. I enjoyed this film quite a bit. I liked the entire cast. But I must say I did not recognize Buddy Ebsen in this film! There is a lot of fun characters here. But at the same time you really feel for Shirley Temple's character... especially when she is taken away from the captain and sitting there singing to the doll he carved her... missing him. I would definitely recommend this movie. The DVD I watched this on has both a B&W version and a Colorized version. I of course wanted to see this as it originally aired so chose the B&W.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: January Movie Marathon: Actresses of Yesteryear
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2018, 01:17:40 AM »
     Curly Top (1935/United States)

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Irving Cummings
Writing:Patterson McNutt (Screenwriter), Arthur Beckhard (Screenwriter)
Length:76 min.
Video:Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, English: Dolby Digital: Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Shirley Temple as Elizabeth Blair
John Boles as Edward Morgan
Rochelle Hudson as Mary Blair
Jane Darwell as Mrs. Denham
Rafaela Ottiano as Mrs. Higgins

Plot:
A charming tot plays matchmaker between her older sister and the kindly trustee of an orphanage.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

I liked this one a lot too. It is definitely more of a comedy the the first one I watched. But between the movies I watched today and the overview of other Shirley Temple movies I have in my collection... they sure had her play an orphan a lot. I did like that she had a sister in this one. After only 2 movies I feel like I will be liking Shirley Temple films.

Rating:
Pete