Author Topic: Christmas 2017  (Read 10936 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas 2017
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2017, 02:13:29 AM »
     March of the Wooden Soldiers (1934/United States)

(United States)
Director:Gus Meins, Charles Rogers
Writing:Glen MacDonough (Original Material By), Frank Butler (Screenwriter), Nick Grinde (Screenwriter)
Length:77 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:

Stars:
Stan Laurel as Stannie Dum
Oliver Hardy as Ollie Dee
Charlotte Henry as Little Bo-Peep
Felix Knight as Tom-Tom Piper
Henry Brandon as Silas Barnaby

Plot:
Imagine an enchanted fantasy world of timeless characters and magical moments where nothing goes right for the clumsy toymakers, Stannie Dum and Ollie Dee. When notorious scoundrel Barnaby demands to marry the beautiful Little Bo Peep, guess who secretly emerges as the bride. Based on the original 'Babes In Toyland', this movie is a dazzling spectacle of 6-foot wooden soldiers, Mother Goose characters and the beloved team of Laurel & Hardy.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Closed Captioned
  • Colorized Version, Cartoons, Short Films & Toy Commercials.

My Thoughts:

While I am sure this is considered a classic in it's own right... I found it to be uninteresting and over acted. Sure there was some entertaining scenes in it. But for the most part I found myself watching the clock and waiting for it to be over with.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2017, 04:43:35 AM »
     The Muppet Christmas Carol: Kermit's 50th Anniversary Edition (1992/United States)

Walt Disney Home Entertainment, Buena Vista Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Brian Henson
Writing:Charles Dickens (Original Material By), Jerry Juhl (Screenwriter)
Length:89 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:English, French

Stars:
Louise Gold as Muppet Performer (puppeteer)
Mike Quinn as Muppet Performer (puppeteer)
Michael Caine (1933) as Scrooge
Dave Goelz as The Great Gonzo (puppeteer)
Dave Goelz as Robert Marley (puppeteer)

Plot:
'Tis the season for love, laughter, and one of the most cherished stories of all time! Join Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy and all the hilarious Muppets in this merry, magical version of Charles Dickens' classic tale.

Academy Award® winner Michael Caine* gives a performance that's anything but "Bah, humbug!" as greedy, penny-pinching Ebenezer Scrooge. One fateful Christmas Eve, Scrooge is visited by the Ghosts of Christmas Past, Present, and Future. Together with kind, humble Bob Cratchit (Kermit the Frog) and his family, the Spirits open Scrooge's eyes – and his heart – to the true meaning of Christmas.

Filled with original music and dazzling special effects, this restored and remastered 50th Anniversary Edition of The Muppet Christmas Carol will become a holiday tradition your family will treasure all the days of the year.

* 1999: Best Supporting Actor, The Cider House Rules; 1986: Best Supporting Actor, Hannah And Her Sisters

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Featurettes
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

A Christmas Carol has always been my favorite holiday story. Not only is this a version of that wonderful story... it is a very fun version. Oddly this is the first time I ever seen this version. And I must say I am glad that I recently added it to my collection.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2017, 06:15:32 PM »
     It's a Wonderful Life (1946/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Paramount (United States)
Director:Frank Capra
Writing:Frances Goodrich (Screenwriter), Albert Hackett (Screenwriter), Frank Capra (Screenwriter), Philip Van Doren Stern (Original Material By)
Length:131 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:English, French, Portuguese, Spanish

Stars:
James Stewart as George Bailey
Donna Reed as Mary Hatch
Lionel Barrymore as Mr. Potter
Thomas Mitchell as Uncle Billy
Henry Travers as Clarence

Plot:
After George Bailey (James Stewart) wishes he had never been born, an angel (Henry Travers) is sent to earth to make George's wish come true. George starts to realize how many lives he has changed and impacted, and how they would be different if he was never there.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:

It's a Wonderful Life... It's a Wonderful Film! This is one of those films that I have seen so often on cable that I plainly got sick of seeing or hearing about it. So I haven't seen it in a very long time. Because of that I forgot how fantastic a film it is. It is a great, true classic story. One I couldn't imagine being any better then what it is. Both Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed was fantastic in this film... as was the rest of the cast. If by some strange chance you never seen this film I urge you to give it a chance this Holiday season.. I am sure you wouldn't be sorry.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2017, 01:01:23 AM »
     Yogi Bear's All Star Comedy Christmas Caper (1982/)

Warner Home Video (United States)
Director:Steve Lumley
Writing:Mark Evanier (Story By)
Length:23 min.
Audio:
Subtitles:

Stars:
Daws Butler as Yogi Bear
Daws Butler as Huckleberry Hound
Daws Butler as Snagglepuss
Daws Butler as Quick Draw McGraw
Daws Butler as Mister Jinx

Plot:
Boo Boo and Yogi reunite with friends Snagglepuss, Quick Draw McGraw and the gang for a big city Christmas pic-a-nic in the park Join the merrymaking, but get there before the basket is empty! The Flintstones, Huckleberry Hound, Augie Doggie and more also join the Jellystone gang, making this a Christmas caper full of animated favorites for the whole hungry family.

Extras:
  • Play All
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Yogi's Birthday Party

My Thoughts:

The Hannah-Barbara gang get together for Christmas and brings together a father and daughter while they are at it. Nice little nostalgic look at the characters I grew up watching.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2017, 03:44:29 AM »
     Home Alone: Family Fun Edition (1990/United States)

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Chris Columbus
Writing:John Hughes (1950) (Writer)
Length:103 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Spanish: DTS: 5.1, Portuguese: DTS: 5.1, French: DTS: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:Chinese, English, French, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Commentary

Stars:
Macaulay Culkin as Kevin
Joe Pesci as Harry
Daniel Stern as Marv
John Heard as Peter
Roberts Blossom as Marley

Plot:
Accidentally left behind when his parents rush off on their Christmas vacation, eight-year-old Kevin McCallister (Macaulay Culkin) embarks on a hilarious, madcap mission to defend the family home when two bumbling burglars (Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern) try to break in — and find themselves tangled in Kevin's bewildering battery of booby traps!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Outtakes/Bloopers

My Thoughts:

This is one that I haven't seen in many years! I can't believe this movie is 27 years old! I used to see this one on cable every year at back when it first came out... but for some reason I haven't seen it on much at all anymore. I am glad I got the opportunity to see it again... there is many good laughs in it... but I must admit that it wasn't quite as funny as I remembered it being. Though I do see myself watching it again next year.

Rating:
Pete