Author Topic: Horror/Halloween 2016 Challenge  (Read 53441 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Horror/Halloween 2016 Challenge
« Reply #105 on: November 01, 2016, 04:09:49 AM »
I can't believe I missed my goal by 2 lousy films!!! Grrrrrrrr!!!!
Pete

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 01, 2016, 05:54:44 AM »

The Whip and the Body (La frusta e il corpo)
Year of Release: 1963
Directed By: Mario Bava
Starring: Daliah Lavi, Christopher Lee, Tony Kendall, Isli Oberon, Harriet White
Genre: Horror

Overview:
Steeped in sadomasochism and lushly photographed in the vivid hues for which the director is known, Mario Bava's THE WHIP AND THE BODY is a Gothic thriller that far surpasses the API Edgar Allan Poe films that it was intended to emulate.

Christopher Lee (Dracula: Prince of Darkness) stars as Kurt Menliff, the sadistic son of a wealthy Count, who returns to the family castle, much to the dismay of his family, their servants, and the beautiful woman with whom he shares a fondness for the lash (Daliah Lavi). When Kurt is found murdered, it brings no peace to those who had feared him, as his vengeful spirit cannot be contained by the grave, and he returns to torment those unfortunate enough to remain within Menliff Manor.

My Thoughts:
Bava has a real talent for creating atmosphere. His use of light, the howling wind, the way he frames his actors. He really makes you feel the isolation of this family. Not just the isolation of their home, with its seaside view and rugged cliffs, but the isolation they have from each other. For all that they are family, it is in name (or blood) only.

Christopher Lee really stands out as well. His entire manner presents a threat in every move he makes in this film. Daliah Lavi equally portrays the increasingly unhinged Nevenka very well. The rest of the cast is solid, but unremarkable.

I enjoyed this quite a lot. I'd recommend it to fans of gothic horror or of Mario Bava. This is my fourth film of his, and it compares very well to Black Sabbath and Blood and Black Lace, both of which were very good.

Watched For: Hoop-tober 3.0, Horror/Halloween Challenge 2016

Bechdel Test: Fail
Mako Mori Test: Fail

Overall: 3.5/5

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 45/52
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 05:58:46 AM by Danae Cassandra »
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 01, 2016, 05:58:01 AM »

Black Sabbath (I tre volti della paura)
Year of Release: 1963
Directed By: Mario Bava
Starring: Michele Mercier, Lydia Alfonsi, Boris Karloff, Mark Damon, Susy Andersen, Jacqueline Pierreux
Genre: Horror

Overview:
One of the great horror anthology films, and Bava's personal favorite of his works, BLACK SABBATH solidified the director's reputation as Europe's maestro of the macabre.

In "The Telephone," a woman is haunted by menacing phone calls from a former lover. "The Wurdulak" stars Boris Karloff as a vampire hunter whose family is stalked by the wandering spirit of an undead ghoul. "A Drop of Water" involves a nurse who steals a ring from a corpse-not realizing the curse that is carried with it.

This Kino Classics edition showcases Bava's original European cut of the film (I tre volti della paura, or Three Faces of Fear), before it was re-edited and re-scored for American release.

My Thoughts:
On second viewing, I still think this is one of the best anthology horror films. Each of the stories is a good one, and each is better than the one before. "The Wurdulak" is still my favorite, but I also still think that "The Drop of Water" is actually the strongest story. Having seen two other fine films from Mario Bava (Blood and Black Lace and The Whip and the Body), I appreciate even more his art direction and use of light and color. He really knows how to create a great atmosphere, tell a spooky story, and get a great performance out of his cast. Well worth watching.

The one thing I do wish is that there wasn't the epilogue. i had forgotten about it, and it rather detracts from the great thing Bava has going on here. I'm knocking the film down half a star for it's presence.

Watched For: Hoop-tober 3.0, Horror/Halloween Challenge 2016

Bechdel Test: Pass
Mako Mori Test: Pass

Overall: 3.5/5

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 46/52
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 01, 2016, 06:02:12 AM »
Final Tally:
Gen - 46/52
Pete - 50/52
Total - 96/104

Overall, I think we did pretty well, given how busy October has been.  Hopefully next year there won't be nearly the amount of stuff going on in October and we can really knock this out of the park.
-- Thorin Oakenshield