Author Topic: Horror/Halloween 2016 Challenge  (Read 53369 times)

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Horror/Halloween 2016 Challenge
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2016, 09:28:38 PM »
Finally all caught up with my reviews!

CURRENT TALLY:
Genevieve - 22/52
Pete - 24/52
Total - 46/104
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2016, 06:41:57 PM »

Masque of the Red Death
Year of Release: 1964
Directed By: Roger Corman
Starring: Vincent Price, Hazel Court, Jane Asher, David Weston, Nigel Green, Patrick Magee
Genre: Horror

Overview:
Death and debauchery reign in the castle of Prince Prospero (Vincent Price), and when it reigns...it pours! Prospero has only one excuse for his diabolical deeds - the devil made him do it! But when a mysterious, uninvited guest crashes his pad during a masquerade ball, there'll be hell to pay as the party atmosphere turns into a danse macabre!

My Thoughts:
This is another one of Price & Corman's wonderful Poe adaptations. Price is marvelous as the sinister, cultured, cruel Prospero, and Corman's direction is solid. There's a good supporting cast here, and lavish, colorful sets and costumes. Apparently Corman was able to borrow sets from Becket, so this is a handsome production. Nicholas Roeg is here as cinematographer, and he makes wonderful use of light and dark in the film, as well as the jewel-like colors of Prospero's masquerade ... and of the figures of death. One of the best of Price's films. Highly recommended.

This is also a beautiful transfer of the film.  It's never looked better.

Watched For: Hoop-tober 3.0, Scavenger Hunt 19, Horror/Halloween Challenge 2016

Bechdel Test: Fail
Mako Mori Test: Fail

Overall: 4/5

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 23/52
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2016, 04:49:10 PM »

Dagon
Year of Release: 2001
Directed By: Stuart Gordon
Starring: Ezra Godden, Francisco Rabal, Raquel Meroño, Macarena Gómez, Brendan Price, Birgit Bofarull

Overview:
Based on a short story by HP Lovecraft, the undisputed master of macabre ...

Paul and his girlfriend Barbara are celebrating the success of their new company on a yacht off the coast of Spain. When a sudden storm smashes their boat on a reef, Barbara and Paul swim to the nearest town for help. The decrepit fishing village of Imboca at first seems to be deserted, but unblinking eyes peer out from boarded-up houses. The strange inhabitants offer little help to the stranded couple. By nightfall, Barbara is missing and Paul finds himself pursued by the entire town ... but a town of what?

My Thoughts:
For all its additions to the story, Dagon keeps to The Shadow Over Innsmouth fairly closely. We have the drunk, the shambling locals, the famous escape from the inn, and the truly Lovecraftian ending. If we have the addition of other characters besides our narrator and the drunk, and the additions of romantic subplots, those work for the film. It still keeps to the spirit of Innsmouth and that makes it work in bringing Lovecraft to the screen.

Unlike some other films I've been watching this month, this is not a beautiful film. It's nigh the opposite of Masque of the Red Death that I watched this morning. This is an ugly film, dirty, gloomy, perpetually wet. In contrast to Price's cultured characters, the folk of Imboca are degenerate and brutish. There's also considerably more gore, especially in a certain scene toward the end. This is a harder horror film that my usual classics, and I can't recommend it for the squeamish. I can recommend it to fans of Lovecraft, for it's a decent adaptation of Innsmouth, so long as you don't mind the gore.

Watched For: Hoop-tober 3.0, Horror/Halloween Challenge 2016

Overall: 3/5

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 24/52
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2016, 05:35:16 PM »
     The Masque of the Red Death (1964/United States)
Wikipedia |IMDb |
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios, Shout! Factory (United States)
Director:Roger Corman
Writing:Charles Beaumont (Screenwriter), R. Wright Campbell (Screenwriter), Edgar Allan Poe (Original Material By)
Length:89 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: Mono, Commentary: DTS-HD Master Audio: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Vincent Price (1911) as Prospero
Hazel Court as Juliana
Jane Asher as Francesca
David Weston as Gino
Nigel Green as Ludovico

Plot:
Death and debauchery reign in the castle of Prince Prospero (Vincent Price), and when it reigns...it pours! Prospero has only one excuse for his diabolical deeds - the devil made him do it! But when a mysterious, uninvited guest crashes his pad during a masquerade ball, there'll be hell to pay as the party atmosphere turns into a danse macabre!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Gallery
  • Interviews
  • Introduction by Vincent Price

My Thoughts:

This is one of Vincent Price's films I never seen before. I must say I enjoyed it very much. The story line easily kept my attention through out the film... and I found the visuals to be done very well. The vibrant colors they used seem to add to the story. And I found the entire cast to be great. This is one I would really like to add to my own collection.

Rating:

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 25/52
Pete

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2016, 08:24:11 PM »

Whispering Corridors (Yeogo goedam)
Year of Release: 1998
Directed By: Ki-Hyung Park
Starring: Kang-hee Choi, Gyu-ri Kim, Min-jung Kim, Mi-yeon Lee, Jin-hie Park, Ji-hye Yun

Overview:
Life is what you'd expect for young teenagers in this seemingly normal private all-girls school, until a past alumni returns as a teacher. She strikes up a friendship with two very different students and a horrific course of events ensues. A teacher is found dead, apparently having committed suicide, and circumstances that inextricably link both the past and the present are unveiled. As the body count rises, the memories of the deaths unleash the echoes of ghosts down the corridors.

My Thoughts:
This was a really good piece of horror. That some of the most horrific scenes are carried out by the living in no way diminishes the power of the ghost story. The ghost is a powerful supernatural being. And she does bring a brutal retribution down. But the true horror is a school culture that not only condones bullying but has teachers actively participating in it, pitting student against student, berating and belittling them for low scores in front of all their peers.

The film creates a great oppressive atmosphere in the school, and the actors all do a good job. Some things are a bit confusing, but with a bit of patient thought can be worked out. Recommended for fans of Asian horror.

Bechdel Test: Pass
Mako Mori Test: Pass

Overall: 3.5/5

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 25/52
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2016, 08:29:51 PM »

Goke, Body Snatcher from Hell (Kyuketsuki Gokemidoro)
Year of Release: 1968
Directed By: Hajime Sato
Starring: Teruo Yoshida, Tomomi Sato, Hideo Ko, Masaya Takahashi, Nobuo Kaneko, Eizo Kitamura
Genre: Horror, Science-Fiction

Overview:
After an airplane is forced to crash-land in a remote area, its passengers find themselves face-to-face with an alien force that wants to possess them body and soul—and perhaps take over the entire human race. Filled with creatively repulsive effects—including a very invasive bloblike life-form—Hajime Sato's Goke, Body Snatcher from Hell is a pulpy, apocalyptic gross-out.

My Thoughts:
This a bleak, heavily political, sci-fi horror. It's also a study of what happens to people in crisis situations, and how a crisis makes people show their true nature. Some stay strong in their morals, others crumble, and others will try everything to save themselves, including at the expense of someone else. Also, some scream. Hello, most annoying trope of horror movies - the useless, screaming female!

The effects and some of the plot points are rather trippy; this is firmly in B-movie territory. Still, it rises above the average B-movie of its time with its commentaries on Vietnam, Hiroshima, and political corruption. There's a lot more going on here than most B-movies. That also makes it very much a product of its time. It hasn't exactly aged well. Worth seeing for the B-movie enthusiast however.

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 26/52
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 08:34:51 PM by Danae Cassandra »
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2016, 12:56:03 AM »
     Stephen King's Silver Bullet: Widescreen Collection (1985/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Paramount Home Video (United States)
Director:Daniel Attias
Writing:Stephen King (1947) (Original Material By), Stephen King (1947) (Screenwriter)
Length:95 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono

Stars:
Gary Busey as Uncle Red
Everett McGill as Reverend Lowe
Corey Haim as Marty Coslaw
Megan Follows as Jane Coslaw
Robin Groves as Nan Coslaw

Plot:
Something is killing off townsfolk in Tarker's Mills. Something mysterious. Something ingenious. Something remotely human. But the only person in town with courage to stop this lurking menace is a 13-year-old boy, confined to a wheelchair since birth. Adapted to the screen by suspense master Stephen King from his "Cycle of the Werewolf" novelette, this exhilarating thriller features astounding special effects by three-time Oscar® winner Carlo Rambaldi ("E.T.," "Alien," "King Kong").

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

I have loved it since I first saw it when I was just a teen. I absolutely love the supped up wheel chair... The Silver Bullet! I really enjoyed the scene when he first got it... finding out just how fast it went. I believe Stephen King's take on the werewolf legend is just right on the spot. And I liked who the werewolf turned out to be. While it is not what I would call a gory movie... there is a scene or two that shows it's fair share of blood. There was nothing about this movie that was not just plain enjoyable. It is definitely one of my favorite werewolf movies.If by chance you never seen this film it is one I highly recommend!

Rating:

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 26/52
Pete

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2016, 03:17:10 PM »

Silver Bullet
Year of Release: 1985
Directed By: Daniel Attias
Starring: Gary Busey, Everett McGill, Corey Haim, Megan Follows

Overview:
Something is killing off townsfolk in Tarker's Mills. Something mysterious. Something ingenious. Something remotely human. But the only person in town with courage to stop this lurking menace is a 13-year-old boy, confined to a wheelchair since birth. Adapted to the screen by suspense master Stephen King from his "Cycle of the Werewolf" novelette, this exhilarating thriller features astounding special effects by three-time Oscar® winner Carlo Rambaldi ("E.T.," "Alien," "King Kong").

My Thoughts:
This was a pretty good werewolf movie. It lacks any backstory on the werewolf, and I liked that about the film. It makes the werewolf this immensely threatening supernatural monster, an inhuman creature rather than a tortured soul. He's mad, bad and dangerous and must be put down.

King doing the screenplay means this is more than just a monster story. It's a story of the town and folks in it. Corey Haim is really good in his role, especially in holding true to the physical limitations of it. The girl who played his sister is pretty good too, and their interactions have a certain authenticity to siblings of that age. I love Gary Busey as their drunk, loser uncle who seems really cool when you don't know any better. And of course, I love the wheelchair. Everyone loves the wheelchair. I think the narration wasn't needed. That's a device I thought worked better for Stand By Me than it does here. Small quibbles aside, this was still quite good and I'd recommend it if you're looking for a werewolf film.

Overall: 3.5/5

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 27/52
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 14, 2016, 04:55:59 PM »
     The Lost Boys (1987/United States)
Warner Home Video (United States)
Director:Joel Schumacher
Writing:Janice Fischer (Story By), James Jeremias (Story By), Janice Fischer (Screenwriter), James Jeremias (Screenwriter), Jeffrey Boam (Screenwriter)
Length:97 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, German: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Italian: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish

Stars:
Jason Patric as Michael
Corey Haim as Sam
Dianne Wiest as Lucy
Barnard Hughes as Grandpa
Edward Herrmann [Ed Herrmann] as Max

Plot:
Sam and his older brother Michael are average, everyday teens. But after they move with their mother to peaceful Santa Clara, California, things mysteriously begin to change. Michael's not himself lately. And Mom's not going to like what he's turning into.

The Lost Boys reshapes vampire tradition, deftly mixing heart-pounding terror, rib-tickling laughs and a body-gyrating rock soundtrack. Under Joel Schumacher's direction, a marvelous cast – Jason Patric, Jami Gertz, Kiefer Sutherland, Corey Feldman, Corey Haim, Barnard Hughes, Edward Herrmann and Dianne Wiest – stakes you to gleefully ghoulish entertainment.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Interactive Games
  • Multi-angle
  • Music Videos

My Thoughts:

I am sure it is partially nostalgia for me... but this is one of my favorite vampire films. It is one I have seen countless times...one that I never tire of. This movie is the first thing I ever seen Kiefer Sutherland in... and I think he did an awesome job in it. I also think Jason Patric did a great job as Michael. and I definitely couldn't help but to enjoy the Old Fart (Grandpa)... I just get such a kick out of him and all the stuffed animals he gave to Sam. Definitely one I would highly recommend to any horror fan... especially vampire fans. Though I do believe most all horror fans probably seen this one by now!

Rating:

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 27/52
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2016, 08:10:46 PM »
     Halloweentown High (2004/United States)
Walt Disney Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Mark A.Z. Dippé
Writing:Dan Berendsen (Screenwriter), Paul Bernbaum (Original Characters By)
Length:82 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
Kimberly J. Brown as Marnie Piper
Debbie Reynolds as Aggie Cromwell
Judith Hoag as Gwen Piper
Joey Zimmerman as Dylan Piper
Emily Roeske as Sophie Piper

Plot:
Back to school's never been so cool or supernatural for Marnie (Kimberly J. Brown), her grandmother Aggie (Debbie Reynolds), and her family of witches in this latest chapter in the ever-popular series of Halloweentown movies.

When Marnie convinces the Halloweentown Council to send several teenagers to her high school in the mortal world, she even promises to give up her magic if any harm comes to them. But soon, Marnie and her new friends are in trouble and out of luck when the evil Knight Of The Iron Dagger appears. He's determined to destroy all things magical, and it's up to Marnie to save her high school, the human world and her magic.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Interactive Games
  • DVD-ROM Content
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

Probably my least favorite in the franchise.While it is still entertaining I found the story line to be less interesting what with it mostly taking place in the mortal world. These films are just more entertaining when they are in Halloweentown. That being said... this one is still worth the time put in to watch.... if you enjoyed the previous films in the franchise.

Rating:

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 28/52
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 14, 2016, 08:58:54 PM »
     Return to Halloweentown: Ultimate Secret Edition (2006/United States)
Wikipedia |IMDb |Trailer |
Buena Vista Home Entertainment, Walt Disney Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:David Jackson
Writing:Max Enscoe (Screenwriter), Annie De Young (Screenwriter), Juliet Giglio (Screenwriter), Keith Giglio (Screenwriter), Paul Bernbaum (Original Characters By)
Length:88 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
Sara Paxton as Marnie
Judith Hoag as Gwen
Lucas Grabeel as Ethan
Joey Zimmerman [J. Paul Zimmerman] as Dylan
Kristy Wu as Scarlett

Plot:
Unlock the secrets in the fourth installment of the hit Disney Channel Halloweentown series and discover a "Behind-The-Scenes Spooktacular" with an insider's look at the special effects and creature creations on the Ultime Secret Edition DVD.

Everyone knows Marnie Piper (Sara Paxton, Aquamarine) is a witch, so it comes as no surprise when she wins a full scholarship to prestigious Witch University in Halloweentown. Marnie travels through the portal to become Witch U's most famous coed. But everything is not what it seems. There's a new school rule: No magic allowed! With the help of old friends Ethan (Lucas Grabeel, High School Musical and High School Musical 2) and Benny the Skeleton, and new friends Professor Periwinkle and Aneesa the Genie, Marnie learns she holds the key to revealing the ultimate secret.

The exciting Halloweentown series continues with more magic, mystery and suspense in Return To Halloweentown!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:

This one I enjoyed more then the last. Not surprised as this one takes place for the most part in Halloweentown. And it has a story that is interesting enough to keep your attention. A fun Halloween film for the entire family that is worth the time put in to watch it.

Rating:

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 29/52
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2016, 11:08:38 PM »
     The Good Witch (2008/Canada)
Gaiam Americas (United States)
Director:Craig Pryce
Writing:Rod Spence (Writer)
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:

Stars:
Catherine Bell as Cassie Nightingale
Chris Potter as Jake Russell
Catherine Disher as Martha Tinsdale
Peter MacNeill as George O'Hanrahan
Allan Royal as Walter Cobb

Plot:
A mysterious, yet charming woman arrives in a small town and causes a stir when people think she is an actual witch. The town's moral committee, lead by the mayor's wife, becomes convinced she is evil and begins a campaign to drive her out of town. This causes much stress to the town sheriff, a struggling widower, who is slowly developing feelings for the woman. As their relationship grows, the woman helps the sheriff's children, as well as several members of the community, face their problems and overcome personal obstacles. But is it common sense or magic that's helping the townfolk? And will they ever be able to accept her as one of their own?

Extras:
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:

I have made it a tradition to watch at least some of these films around Halloween for years now. And after Watching it multiple times... I found I enjoy it now just as much as I did the first time I seen it. I really like the character of Cassandra Nightingale (The Good Witch) and the lovely Catherine Bell did a wonderful job in the role. I couldn't imagine anyone doing it better. I been a fan of Catherine Bell every since her JAG days. If there is anything I didn't care for though... it would be that the ending felt like it was settled a little quickly and easily. But that didn't really take away from the movie for me.

Rating:

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 30/52
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2016, 02:44:30 AM »
     The Good Witch's Garden (2009/Canada)
Cinedigm, Hallmark Home Entertainment (United States)
Writing:G. Ross Parker (Writer), Rod Spence (Original Characters By)
Length:86 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.78:1
Subtitles:

Stars:
Rob Stewart as Nick Chasen

Plot:
Cassie has settled into Middleton and is busy making a home of Grey House. Her boyfriend, Sheriff Jake Russell, and his kids are happy to have Cassie in the neighborhood, but she has yet to gain the trust of some people in town.

Extras:
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers

My Thoughts:

This is a nice continuation in the franchise. Has a good story line and the entire min cast comes back. Definitely a fun watch... I highly recommend this one.... especially if you enjoyed the first one.

Rating:

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 31/52
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2016, 03:48:30 AM »
     The Good Witch's Gift (2010/Canada)
Cinedigm, Hallmark Home Entertainment (United States)
Writing:Rod Spence (Writer), G. Ross Parker (Writer)
Video:Widescreen 1.78:1
Subtitles:

Stars:
Matthew Knight as Brandon Russell

Plot:
Cassandra Nightingale always has a few tricks up her sleeve, but is surprised when her handsome sweetheart, Police Chief Jake Russell, proposes.

Extras:
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers

My Thoughts:

Another good and touching installment. Sure this one takes place during the Christmas season... but it is still as magical as the first two... still about the good witch. So I am allowing myself to include it for my Halloween marathon. Watching these three films tonight is making me fall in love with these characters all over again. If you are a fan of the franchise you already know this is an installment you just can't miss. A must see!

Rating:

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 32/52
Pete

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 16, 2016, 07:00:12 AM »

Strangler of the Swamp
Year of Release: 1945
Directed By: Frank Wisbar
Starring: Rosemary La Planche, Robert Barratt, Blake Edwards, Charles Middleton, Effie Parnell

Overview:
A ferryman who was wrongly hanged for murder is now a ghost, and he's more than a little perturbed. He wants revenge, and he's inflicting strange, violent deaths on the townsfolk responsible for this execution.

The ghost (Charles Middleton, best-known for playing Ming the Merciless in the Flash Gordon series) is all the scarier for his simplicity: a grim shape that gradually manifests itself, blending into the shadows and the night. Blake Edwards, in a rare acting appearance before he became a famous director, is Christian Sanders, Jr., next on the ghost's list of victims, and Rosemary La Planche is his lover who's willing to sacrifice herself to save his life. Robert Barrat is the community leader who fights the villagers' superstitions.

Steeped in gothic atmosphere, STRANGLER OF THE SWAMP recreated director Frank Wisbar's extremely stylish classic fantasy film, Fährmann Maria, made in Germany before Wisbar came to Hollywood and directed such movies as the Devil Bat's Daughter. Wisbar's inventive use of lighting, camera and sets makes STRANGLER a stand-out.

My Thoughts:
This has great atmosphere for a 40's B-movie. There aren't many sets, and you can tell they didn't have much budget, but add a fog machine and the sort of swampy scenery you might put up for a community theatre production, and it somehow creates a wonderfully creepy feel to this film.

While some of the dialog isn't great, and the acting is servicable at best, I really liked the character of Maria and the way they visualized the ghost. The ghost is dark and murky, never fully seen, which really works for the story and makes the ghost seem more threatening. Maria, meanwhile, is a remarkably strong character for the time period. The lurid cover has little to do with the actual film. She is the actual hero of the film, the one who confronts the ghost and defeats him. The cover should really replace her with Blake Edwards character being threatened instead. Well worth watching for those who enjoy low-budget films of this era.

Horror/Halloween Challenge Films: 28/52
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 07:02:35 AM by Danae Cassandra »
-- Thorin Oakenshield