Author Topic: July Movie Marathon: Musicals (Yes... You read right!)  (Read 78275 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: July Movie Marathon: Musicals (Yes... You read right!)
« Reply #180 on: July 29, 2016, 02:39:09 AM »
     Some Like It Hot: 50th Anniversary Edition (1959/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
MGM Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Billy Wilder
Writing:Billy Wilder (Screenwriter), I. A. L. Diamond (Screenwriter), Robert Thoeren [R. Thoeren] (Original Material By), Michael Logan [M. Logan] (Original Material By)
Length:121 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.66:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:French, Spanish

Stars:
Marilyn Monroe as Sugar Kane (Kowalczyk)
Tony Curtis as Joe/Josephine/Junior Shell
Jack Lemmon as Jerry/Daphne
George Raft as Spats Colombo
Pat O'Brien as Mulligan

Plot:
When Chicago musicians Joe (Tony Curtis) and Jerry (Jack Lemmon) accidentally witness a gangland shooting, they quickly board a southbound train to Florida, disguised as Josephine and Daphne, the two newest — and homeliest — members of an all-girl jazz band. Their cover is perfect...until a lovelorn singer (Marilyn Monroe) falls for "Josephine," an ancient playboy (Joe E. Brown) falls for "Daphne," and a mob boss (George Raft) refuses to fall for their hoax!

Nominated for 7 Academy Awards®,* Some Like It Hot is the quintessential madcap farce and "one of the greatest of all film comedies" (The Motion Picture Guide).

*1959: Director, Actor (Lemmon), Screenplay (based on material from another medium), Cinematography (B&W), Art Direction – Set Direction (B&W), Costume Design (B&W) [winner]

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

This one I enjoyed quite a bit. I found it to be a really fun comedy. There is definitely some good laughs in this one. But more then a great comedy... it is an all around great movie. I would recommend it t anyone. So if you haven't done so yet... check this one out!

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 29, 2016, 02:45:02 AM »
Pete:
Movies- 48
Episodes - 4

Danae Cassandra:
Movies - 45 (43 reviewed)
Episodes - 12
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 29, 2016, 03:18:08 AM »
     The Phantom of the Opera (2004/United Kingdom)

Warner Home Video (United States)
Director:Joel Schumacher
Writing:Andrew Lloyd Webber (Screenwriter), Joel Schumacher (Screenwriter), Richard Stilgoe (Original Material By), Andrew Lloyd Webber (Original Material By), Gaston Leroux (Original Material By)
Length:141 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Gerard Butler as The Phantom
Emmy Rossum as Christine
Patrick Wilson (1973) as Raoul
Miranda Richardson as Mme. Giry
Simon Callow as Andre

Plot:
The stage musical sensation magically and hauntingly comes to the screen in director Joel Schumacher's lavish production, sweeping audiences aloft to new cinematic heights of sight-and-sound grandeur. Gerard Butler (the Phantom), Emmy Rossum (winner of the National Board of Review Breakthrough Performance and Critics Choice Best Young Actress Awards as Christine) and Patrick Wilson (as Raoul) play the fateful love triangle that unfurls in splendor, suspense – and in the music of the night.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Sing-a-long

My Thoughts:

While it was recommended to me by more then one person...this is just not one I could make it all the way through. Though I did give it a fair chance to I am including it (with Gen's agreement). I just found that one... I am just cannot stand this type of music. And two... I need at least some dialog that is not sung. It's just a must for me. This is one I will definitely NOT be adding to my collection.

Rating:
Pete

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 29, 2016, 04:21:03 AM »

There's No Business Like Show Business
Year of Release: 1954
Directed By: Walter Lang
Starring: Ethel Merman, Donald O'Connor, Marilyn Monroe, Dan Dailey, Johnnie Ray, Mitzi Gaynor
Genre: Comedy, Romance, Musical

Overview:
Marilyn plays an ambitious showgirl who gets involved in the lives and loves of the Five Donahues, a family of Vaudeville performers.

My Thoughts:
While this is remembered today as a Marilyn Monroe film, she's in the supporting cast here. This is Ethel Merman's film and she is great in her role. Sure the plot is standard and pretty predictable, but the numbers are a lot of fun and everyone gives a good performance. Yes, Monroe does stand out of the supporting cast, and for the reasons she usually does - her beauty and charisma are evident the moment you see her. "Tropical Heat Wave" is her standout number here, and if you're a fan of hers you won't want to miss it. The film itself might have stood for a bit of editing, but overall it was a lot of fun and I'd recommend it if you enjoy musicals.

Bechdel Test: Fail
Mako Mori Test: Fail

Overall: 3.5/5
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 29, 2016, 04:24:35 AM »

Begin Again
Year of Release: 2013
Directed By: John Carney
Starring: Keira Knightley, Mark Ruffalo, Hailee Steinfeld, Adam Levine
Genre: Drama, Musical

Overview:
Gretta (Keira Knightley) and her long-time boyfriend (Adam Levine) are college sweethearts and songwriting partners who go to New York City when Dave lands a deal with a major record label. But the excitement of Dave's new-found fame affects the couple in unexpected ways, leaving Gretta unsure of her future—until Dan (Mark Ruffalo), a record label executive with a few problems of his own, stumbles across her performance on an East Village stage. Dan is immediately captivated by Gretta's new talent and unique sound, leading to a life-changing collaboration, set to the soundtrack of a summer in New York City. Begin Again, from writer-director John Carney (Once), is a soul-stirring story about what happens when lost souls meet and make beautful music together.

My Thoughts:
I really enjoyed this film. I picked this up because it has Mark Ruffalo in it, and I enjoy his work. He's done a fine job in everything I've seen him in, and he doesn't disappoint me here. The other reason I picked this up is because it was from the director of Once, which was great. I enjoyed the friendship Greta and Dan developed, and the true love of music they expressed together, the authenticity of their characters. Maybe most of all I enjoyed the unexpected directions the film took and the unconventional choices. This is a feel-good film, recommended if you're looking for a mature tale of pulling oneself out of the dumps and finding friendships along the way.

Bechdel Test: Pass
Mako Mori Test: Pass

Overall: 4/5
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 29, 2016, 04:24:59 AM »
Pete:
Movies- 48
Episodes - 4

Danae Cassandra:
Movies - 45
Episodes - 12
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 29, 2016, 04:26:53 AM »
     Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs: Platinum Edition (1937/United States)
Wikipedia |IMDb |Trailer |
Buena Vista Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:David Hand
Writing:Ted Sears (Screenwriter), Richard Creedon (Screenwriter), Otto Englander (Screenwriter), Dick Rickard (Screenwriter), Earl Hurd (Screenwriter), Merrill De Maris (Screenwriter), Dorothy Ann Blank (Screenwriter), Webb Smith (Screenwriter)
Length:83 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Roy Atwell as Doc (Uncredited, Voice)
Stuart Buchanan as Humbert (Uncredited, Voice)
Adriana Caselotti as Snow White (Uncredited, Voice)
Eddie Collins (1883) as Dopey (Uncredited, Voice)
Pinto Colvig as Sleepy/Grumpy (Uncredited, Voice)

Plot:
The curtain rises on Disney's most ambitious, most immersive DVD experience ever! At center stage is Walt Disney's revered animated masterpiece – digitally restored for picture and sound that goes beyond its original brilliance. Then, let the Magic Mirror be your personal guide as you "walk" through a virtual gallery of the Queen's castle. "Race" through the tunnels of the dwarf's mine to save Snow White. Treat yourself to Barbra Streisand's rendition of "Some Day My Prince Will Come." Explore five enchanted lands of Snow White's kingdom and discover an interactive timeline featuring eight celebrity hosts, Walt Disney's personal commentary, deleted scenes, abandoned concepts and more. Or, if you prefer, sit back, relax and take a VIP guided tour of this first-of-its-kind Disney DVD for every generation!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:

I found this to be a cute film. But it is not one I can see myself watching often. But it is classic animation that should be seen by everyone.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 29, 2016, 04:53:44 AM »
Pete:
Movies- 50
Episodes - 4

Danae Cassandra:
Movies - 45
Episodes - 12
Pete

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 29, 2016, 02:48:23 PM »

Cinderella
Year of Release: 1950
Directed By: Wilfred Jackson, Hamilton Luske, Clyde Geronimi
Starring: Ilene Woods, Eleanor Audley, Verna Felton, Claire DuBrey
Genre: Fantasy, Romance, Musical

Overview:
Rediscover the timeless story, the memorable music and unforgettable characters - now more enchanting than ever with pristine digital picture and dazzling high definition sound! Cinderella has faith her dreams will come true. With help from her loyal mice friends and a wave of her Fairy Godmother's wand, Cinderella's rags are magically transformed into a glorious gown and off she goes to the Royal Ball. But when the clock strikes midnight, the spell is broken, leaving only a single glass slipper...the only key to the ultimate fairy-tale ending!

My Thoughts:
Sure it's a classic tale, but as an adult the only thing I can think is "man Cinderella is so stupid." The mice are cute, the songs are good, and the animation is excellent classic Disney. The main character is just such an idiot, and why she's been held up all these years as a model for young girls is beyond me.

Bechdel Test: Pass
Mako Mori Test: Fail

Overall: 3/5
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 29, 2016, 02:48:49 PM »
Pete:
Movies- 50
Episodes - 4

Danae Cassandra:
Movies - 46
Episodes - 12
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 29, 2016, 05:10:13 PM »
     Gentlemen Prefer Blondes: The Diamond Collection (1953/United States)
IMDb |Trailer |Wikipedia |
(United States)
Director:Howard Hawks
Writing:Charles Lederer (Screenwriter), Joseph Fields (Original Material By), Anita Loos (Original Material By)
Length:91 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, English: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Jane Russell as Dorothy Shaw
Marilyn Monroe as Lorelei Lee
Charles Coburn as Sir Francis Beekman
Elliott Reid as Detective Malone
Tommy Noonan as Gus Esmond

Plot:
Gentlemen may prefer blondes, but this blonde bombshell prefers diamonds, and lots of them! Glamorous showgirl Marilyn sets sail for France, intent on marrying a rich, yet boring, beau. But anything can – and does – happen with the beautiful and fun-loving Jane Russell acting as chaperone. From celebrated director Howard Hawks, this musical comedy classic features Marilyn's signature rendition of the hit show tune "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend."

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Gallery
  • Closed Captioned
  • Movietone Newsreel

My Thoughts:

I enjoyed this one. It has a fun story and likable characters. But I have seen better from Marilyn Monroe. I did feel her stupid but smart act was a little heavy. Though it probably needed to be for the story they were telling. I would say it is worth the time put in to watch it.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 29, 2016, 10:02:59 PM »

Pete:
Movies- 52 (51 Reviewed)
Episodes - 4

Danae Cassandra:
Movies - 46
Episodes - 12
Pete

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 30, 2016, 07:42:17 AM »
Pete:
Movies- 52 (51 Reviewed)
Episodes - 4

Danae Cassandra:
Movies - 49 (46 reviewed)
Episodes - 12
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 01:47:22 PM by Danae Cassandra »
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 30, 2016, 04:24:34 PM »
     West Side Story: 50th Anniversary Edition (1961/United States)
Wikipedia |IMDb |Trailer |
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Robert Wise (1914), Jerome Robbins
Writing:Ernest Lehman (Screenwriter), Arthur Laurents (Original Material By)
Length:152 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.20:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 7.1, French: DTS: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, German: DTS: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 4.0, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:Chinese, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish

Stars:
Natalie Wood (1938) as Maria
Richard Beymer as Tony
Russ Tamblyn as Riff
Rita Moreno as Anita
George Chakiris as Bernardo

Plot:
The greatest love story ever told...in the most acclaimed musical of all time...is now on Blu-ray! Experience every sensational song, dazzling dance number and magical movie moment of West Side Story in sparkling high definition with pure 7.1 digital sound — along with fascinating special features created exclusively for this 50th Anniversary Edition!

Winner of ten Acadamy Awards®, including Best Picture,* this electrifying musical sets the ageless tragedy of Romeo and Juliet against a backdrop of gang warfare in 1950s New York. Featuring an unforgettable score, exuberant choreography and powerful performances by Natalie Wood, Russ Tamblyn, Richard Beymer and Rita Moreno. West Side Story will forever resonate as a true cinematic masterpiece.

*1961: Best Picture, Supporting Actor (George Chakiris), Supporting Actress (Rita Moreno), Art Direction (Color), Cinemetography (Color), Costume Design (Color), Directing, Film Editing, Music Score, Sound.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Storyboard Comparisons

My Thoughts:

This one I have mixed feelings about. In the one hand I liked the story a lot. But in the other I just didn't like the style of the music and dancing which took away from the enjoyment for me.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 30, 2016, 04:37:27 PM »
     Hairspray (1988/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
New Line Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:John Waters (1946)
Writing:John Waters (1946) (Writer)
Length:92 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Sonny Bono as Franklin Von Tussle
Ruth Brown as Motormouth Maybelle
Divine as Arvin Hodgepile / Edna Turnblad
Colleen Fitzpatrick as Amber Von Tussle
Deborah Harry [Debbie Harry] as Velma Von Tussle

Plot:
With huge hair, a big grin, and all the right moves, Tracy Turnblad (Ricki Lake) becomes the queen of Baltimore's number one TV dance party. Also starring Divine (Pink Flamingos) and rock legends Sonny Bono and Debbie Harry.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • DVD-ROM Content
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

Wow! I just don't know how I made it through this entire movie! I didn't care for any of the cast. The acting was terrible. I didn't even like Jerry Stiller...who I normally enjoy. I recommend skipping this one. I am surprised this got an above average rating on IMDB!

Rating:
Pete