Author Topic: July Movie Marathon: Musicals (Yes... You read right!)  (Read 78177 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: July Movie Marathon: Musicals (Yes... You read right!)
« Reply #120 on: July 19, 2016, 04:33:35 PM »
     Shrek: The Musical (2013/United States)

DreamWorks Home Entertainment, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:
Writing:
Length:130 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Brian D'Arcy James as Shrek
Sutton Foster as Fiona
Christopher Sieber as Lord Farquaad
John Tartaglia as Pinocchio, The Magic Mirror, Dragon Puppeteer
Daniel Breaker as Donkey

Plot:
The greatest fairy tale never told comes to life as never before in Shrek The Musical, the Tony Award®-winning° Broadway musical based on the smash-hit movie! Featuring a fantastic score of 17 all-new songs, along with unforgettable characters and outrageous humor, Shrek The Musical is ogre-sized fun for the whole family!

°2009, Best Costume Design

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:

This one was recommended by my daughter after she found it on Netflix. I shouldn't be surprised I enjoyed it since I liked the movie so much. I enjoyed the live stage feel of it and the cast did a fine job. Just like I did on the film... I really liked the character of the Donkey. This is one I hope to add to my collection before too long. Definitely recommended....especially if you enjoyed the film.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 19, 2016, 04:55:21 PM »

Standing Ovation
Inspired by a music-video contest with a million-dollar prize, five young classmates form a music group called "The 5 Ovations." Despite their limited resources, these street-smart teens have the skill and passion to create awesome song-and-dance numbers, and have a real shot at victory. Standing in their way, however, are "The Wiggies," five rich and unscrupulous sisters who will stop at nothing to win the contest.

My Thoughts:
I found this one on Netflix...I really wasn't all that impressed with it. Sure, it has some entertainment value but I found it to be no more then an average film. And I think I may be being generous saying that much. Probably won't be adding this one to my collection.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 19, 2016, 06:02:52 PM »

Springtime in the Rockies
Year of Release: 1937
Directed By: Joseph Kane
Starring: Gene Autry, Smiley Burnette, Polly Rowles
Genre: Western, Musical

Overview:
Ranch owner Sandra, fresh from animal husbandry school, brings a flock of sheep into cattle country. The local ranchers don't like it, and ranch foreman Gene must deal with it.

My Thoughts:
Not completely terrible, but this film sure is sexist.  Gene and the other ranchers sure know better than those educated women from out east.  Those gals will fall for anything and forgive the men for treating them like little twits.  After all, Gene sure is handsome and romantic. 

Still, like I said, it's not a completely terrible B-western.  It's short, the plot moves along briskly, and Gene sings several times.  Only recommended though, if you appreciate westerns of this age and type.

I watched this on YouTube, where the whole film is available free.

Bechdel Test: Pass
Mako Mori Test: Fail

Overall: 2/5
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 20, 2016, 03:12:14 AM »
     Frozen: Collector's Edition (2013/United States)
Wikipedia |IMDb |Trailer |
Walt Disney Home Entertainment, Buena Vista Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Chris Buck, Jennifer Lee
Writing:Jennifer Lee (Screenwriter), Hans Christian Andersen (Original Material By), Chris Buck (Story By), Jennifer Lee (Story By), Shane Morris (Story By)
Length:108 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 7.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
Kristen Bell as Anna
Idina Menzel as Elsa
Jonathan Groff as Kristoff
Josh Gad as Olaf
Santino Fontana as Hans

Plot:
Walt Disney Animation Studios presents a chilly twist on one of the most humorous and heartwarming stories ever told. "Disney Animation's best since The Lion King" (William Bibbiani, CraveOnline) will melt your heart.

Fearless optimist Anna sets off on an epic journey — teaming up with rugged mountain man Kristoff and his loyal reindeer Sven — to find her sister Elsa, whose icy powers have trapped the kingdom of Arendelle in eternal winter. Encountering Everest-like conditions, mystical trolls and a hilarious snowman named Olaf, Anna and Kristoff battle the elements in a race to save the kingdom.

Bring home Frozen on Blu-ray High Definition — featuring a blizzard of never-before-seen bonus extras with gorgeous animation, memorable characters and unforgettable music. It's dazzling fun for the whole family!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Music Videos
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:

A few people suggested I should watch this one and I must admit I enjoyed it quite a bit. I liked the story line and I liked the message this film has. One you don't see in many Disney films. That being the princesses don't need a prince to save them. This is a film I would like to add to my collection. Especially after finding out that one of the actresses I collect had a voice role in this one. That being Kristen Bell who I first discovered in the TV series Veronica Mars.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 20, 2016, 03:48:47 AM »
     Mary Poppins: Gold Collection (1964/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Buena Vista Home Entertainment, Walt Disney Home Video (United States)
Director:Robert Stevenson
Writing:Bill Walsh (Screenwriter), Don Da Gradi (Screenwriter), P. L. Travers (Original Material By)
Length:139 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Julie Andrews as Mary Poppins
Dick Van Dyke as Bert
David Tomlinson as Mr. Banks
Glynis Johns as Mrs. Banks
The Domestics

Plot:
Winner of 5 Academy Awards®. including Best Actress (Julie Andrews), Best Song ("Chim Chim Cher-ee") and Best Visual Effects*, Disney's musical masterpiece Mary Poppins has formed an unbreakable bond with audiences of all generations!

In her star-making performance, Julie Andrews plays the lovable nanny who flies out of the windy London skies and into the home of a no-nonsense banker and his mischievious children. Hoping to bridge the gap between them, "practically perfect" Mary Poppins magically turns every chore into a game and every day into a whimsical adventure, including an unforgettable rooftop dance with a carefree chimney sweep named Bert (Dick Van Dyke).

Filled with spellbinding effects and many wondrous, endearing moments – how else could you possibly describe this timeless treat but "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious".

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Interactive Games
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

I found this one to be a pretty cute... and fun film. For me the most entertaining of this film had to be Dick Van Dyke... but I have been a fan of his for many years now. I can see how this film has become such a classic over the years. Through-out the beginning of the movie I was trying to figure out just what Mary Poppins is... a good witch?... a fairy god mother?... guardian angel?... what? Then I finally came to the conclusion that this movie took place in a world where magic is a very real thing. Or did I somehow miss some big reveal? Over-all I would say this is a fun classic musical that everyone should see at least once in their lifetime.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 20, 2016, 04:44:20 AM »
Pete:
Movies- 30
Episodes - 4

Danae Cassandra:
Movies - 26 (23 reviewed)
Episodes - 12
Pete

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 20, 2016, 04:46:34 AM »
Over-analyze much, Pete?
It's a fairy tale. Don't most fairy tales take place in an alternate reality where strange things like magic are possible?
Mary Poppins is just ... Mary Poppins.

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 20, 2016, 05:08:32 AM »

Buena Vista Social Club
Year of Release: 1999
Directed By: Wim Wenders
Starring: Octavio Calderón, Joachim Cooder, Ry Cooder, Angel Terri Domech, Ibrahim Ferrer
Genre: Documentary, Music

Overview:
"The Buena Vista Social Club," guitarist Ry Cooder's celebrated album featuring the recently re-discovered talents of Cuba's foremost folk musicians, sold millions of copies and earned a Grammy Award. Now, Cooder teams up with acclaimed director Wim Wenders (Paris, Texas) to reveal the astonishing life stories, vibrant personalities and unforgettable music of the brilliantly talented but long-overlooked performers who collaborated on this now-legendary recording. From the crumbling barrios of their native Havana, to their triumphant, sold-out concerts in Amsterdam and New York's Carnegie Hall, it's an unforgettable, deeply emotional journey into the passion, pride and humanity of the artists whose music sparked a worldwide musical phenomenon!

My Thoughts:
I've always loved Latin music, and these guys do not disappoint. They are fabulous, and the story of how these guys were all but forgotten and then made a triumphant return/rediscovery in their golden years is quite inspiring. The film is an excellent documentation of the making of the album, but it could have benefited from including some history of Cuban music and discussing these wonderful musicians in context.

Despite that, if you enjoy Cuban and Latin music I cannot recommend this film highly enough for how good the music here is.

Bechdel Test: Fail (N/A)
Mako Mori Test: Fail (N/A)

Overall: 4/5
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 20, 2016, 05:08:58 AM »
Pete:
Movies- 30
Episodes - 4

Danae Cassandra:
Movies - 26 (25 reviewed)
Episodes - 12
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 20, 2016, 01:12:52 PM »
     Reefer Madness: The Movie Musical (2005/United States)
(United States)
Director:Andy Fickman
Writing:Kevin Murphy (Screenwriter), Dan Studney (Screenwriter), Kevin Murphy (Original Material By), Dan Studney (Original Material By)
Length:108 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:

Stars:
Kristen Bell as Mary Lane
Christian Campbell as Jimmy Harper
Neve Campbell as Miss Poppy
Alan Cumming as Lecturer/Goat-Man/FDR
Ana Gasteyer as Mae Coleman

Plot:
Inspired by the legendary 1936 film of the same name, Reefer Madness is a tongue-in-cheek raucous musical comedy about clean-cut kids who fall into a twisted, hilarious downward spiral of reefer, sex and mayhem! A straight-laced high school lecturer (Alan Cumming) seeks to impart his wisdom to frightened parents about the "demon weed" by telling the frightful tale of two innocent teens. Mary Lane (Kristen Bell) and Jimmy Harper (Christian Campbell), who fall under the spell of the public's enemy #1 and quickly find themselves in a world of evil jazz music, dance and madness. Filled with outrageously funny and musical performances by Neve Campbell, Christian Campbell, Kristen Bell and Steven Weber, Reefer Madness is the feel good event of the year that should not be missed!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Production Notes
  • Closed Captioned
  • Original 1936 black & white film included

My Thoughts:

I found this one on Amazon Prime and decided to give it a chance since it stars Kristen Bell. And while I know what the movie was attempting to do...I personally just couldn't get into it much. I mean it does have it's moments here and there... but for the most part I struggled to finish it. I was actually surprised this one had such a high rating on IMDB (7.1). While I like to collect the works of Kristen Bell... not sure I can add this one to my collection.

Rating:
Pete

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 20, 2016, 02:34:50 PM »

Hi-De-Ho
Year of Release: 1947
Directed By: Josh Binney
Starring: Cab Calloway, Ida James, Jeni Le Gon
Genre: Musical

Overview:
Bandleader Cab Calloway is tiring of his sexy girlfriend Minnie, who in turn is jealous of Cab's manager Nettie. When Nettie gets Cab a job at the Brass Hat Club, Minnie retaliates for his imagined infidelity by setting gangster Boss Mason, owner of a rival club, against him. Will she regret her action before it's too late?

My Thoughts:
The plot is really thin and none of the performers can act.  Seriously, they are all about as good as the cast of a high school play.  Fortunately that plot only takes up half the film, interspersed with music.  The second half is all music, and the music is the reason to watch this.  What Calloway lacks in acting chops he makes up for in fabulous jive. 

If this was just the music I'd rate the film higher, but the plot parts really drag.  Recommended only for the music - and hit fast-forward when those aren't on.

Bechdel Test: Fail

Overall: 2.5/5
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 02:38:13 PM by Danae Cassandra »
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 20, 2016, 02:58:25 PM »
     Private Buckaroo (1942/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |
Critics Choice (United States)
Director:Edward F Cline
Writing:Paul Gerard Smith (Original Material By), Edmund Kelso (Screenwriter), Edward James (Screenwriter)
Length:68 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:
Subtitles:

Stars:
Patty Andrews as Herself
Maxene Andrews as Herself
Laverne Andrews as Herself
Dick Foran as Lon Prentice
Joe E Lewis as Lancelot Pringle McBiff

Plot:
The army looks like a pretty fun place to be in this upbeat WWII musical from 1942. It's the story of Lon Prentice, a rebellious young inductee who has trouble following orders during basic training until he hooks up with a retired officer's lovely daughter. Along the way, he and his buddies attend USO dances headlined by the Andrews Sisters (the hit girl group of their day) and the hot trumpet of bandleader Harry James. There's also some fancy footwork from "The Jivin' Jacks & Jills." Drill Sergeant Shemp Howard tries hard to convince the boys to take the war seriously, but Lon is too busy wooing the Colonel's daughter. Starring The Andrews Sisters, Dick Foran, Joe E. Lewis, Ernest Truex, Jennifer Holt, Shemp Howard, Harry James and Donald O'Connor.

Extras:

My Thoughts:

I found this one to be a right fun film. For music we have the Andrew Sisters... for comedy we have Shemp Howard. I found myself laughing out loud on more then one occasion and the short run time made for a quick and easy watch.

Rating:
Pete

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 21, 2016, 07:05:59 AM »

The Rocky Horror Picture Show
Year of Release: 1975
Directed By: Jim Sharman
Starring: Tim Curry, Susan Sarandon, Barry Bostwick, Richard O'Brien, Patricia Quinn
Genre: Comedy, Science-Fiction, Horror, Musical

Overview:
You asked for The Rocky Horror Picture Show on Blu-ray and you shall receive it... in abundance!

Recreate the Midnight Movie Experience in your living room and celebrate 35 years of absolute pleasure with this picture-perfect specimen of Richard O’Brien’s cosmic cult classic starring Tim Curry, Barry Bostwick and Susan Sarandon.

It’s brimming with twisted humor, mind-blowing music and decedent extras.

So come up to the lab...
See what’s on the slab...

And Let The Film Begin!

My Thoughts:
I don't know that I'm the right person to write a review for this film. Because I unabashedly love it. Sure, I know it regularly gets listed as a "so-bad-it's-good" film, but I've never seen how this is a bad movie. I love Tim Curry as Frank, and not just because he looks super hot in drag. It's completely over-the-top on every level, and it works, absolutely works, for this film. This is a ridiculous amount of fun - especially if you can get to a midnight showing - but the film works for me on its own, just watching it at home. A personal favorite.

Bechdel Test: Fail

Overall: 4/5
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 21, 2016, 07:07:11 AM »
Pete:
Movies- 32
Episodes - 4

Danae Cassandra:
Movies - 28 (27 reviewed)
Episodes - 12
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 21, 2016, 04:18:51 PM »
     The Parent Trap (1961/United States)
Buena Vista Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:David Swift
Writing:Erich Kästner (Original Material By), David Swift (Screenwriter)
Length:129 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround

Stars:
Hayley Mills as Sharon McKendrick/Susan Evers
Maureen O'Hara as Margaret 'Maggie' McKendrick
Brian Keith] as Mitch Evers
Charles Ruggles as Charles McKendrick
Una Merkel as Verbena Evers' Housekeeper

Plot:
Hayley Mills, Special Academy Award® winner for 1960's Pollyanna, lights up the screen in Disney's fondly remembered release of The Parent Trap. Mills stars as Susan and Sharon, identical twins separated at birth. Neither twin knows the other exists until a simple twist of fate finds them at the same summer camp. Then, realizing who they are, they plan a little twist of their own. They switch places with high hopes of getting their parents back together. This delightful and heartwarming comedy will have your whole family doubling up with laughter.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

A fun film with lots of laughs. I saw on some review pages this was considered a musical and I can see it... as there is some singing and dancing in this film. But it seems to be a very minor part of the film as there is only a couple songs in the entire film. My kind of musica! LOL. Anyway I liked this one a lot! Definitely recommended!

Rating:
Pete