Author Topic: July Movie Marathon: Musicals (Yes... You read right!)  (Read 78279 times)

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: July Movie Marathon: Musicals (Yes... You read right!)
« Reply #90 on: July 15, 2016, 03:03:33 PM »
Pete:
Movies- 19 (18 Reviewed)
Episodes - 4

Danae Cassandra:
Movies - 17 (14 reviewed)
Episodes - 12
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 15, 2016, 03:21:34 PM »
Hehe, thats cool! And its fun to watch you guys ;) Gl both of you :)
And it looks like Pete found a new genre he really likes :D hehe
Let us know when you can, what it was you guys won ;)
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 15, 2016, 04:37:39 PM »
Since there is a prize for the winner and stuff, is ok to ask what the prize is? ;) Or is that a secret? =)

It is a wrapped package containing shiny silver discs.  If Pete wins he gets to open it on August 1st.  If I win he has to wait for Christmas.   :clapcheer:

Still seems a little weird to me. Don't see what you get out of it...except to be able to torture me. Is torturing me really that much fun? LOL
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 15, 2016, 04:39:16 PM »
     Footloose: Special Collector's Edition (1984/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Paramount Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Herbert Ross
Writing:Dean Pitchford (Writer)
Length:107 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital EX: 5.1 (Matrixed 6.1), English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Kevin Bacon as Ren
Lori Singer as Ariel
John Lithgow as Rev. Shaw Moore
Dianne Wiest as Vi Moore
Christopher Penn as Willard

Plot:
Footloose jumps with spirit, dazzling dance numbers and an electrifying musical score. It portrays the timeless struggle between innocent pleasure and rigid morality, when city-boy Ren McCormick (Kevin Bacon) finds himself in an uptight Midwestern town where dancing has been banned. Ren revolts with best friend Willard (Chris Penn) and the minister's daughter (Lori Singer). Features a treasury of Top 10 songs - Kenny Loggins' "Footloose," Shalamar's "Dancing In The Sheets," Deniece Williams' "Let's Hear It For The Boy," Bonnie Tyler's "Holding Out For A Hero," and the Footloose love theme, "Almost Paradise."

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

This is one I have watched on several occasions with Dawn. It is a fun movie. I enjoyed every minute of it. The entire cast did a great job. I even liked John Lithgow as the reverend....and I normally don't care for him at all. This is one I feel comfortable recommending to everyone. Well worth the time put in to watch it.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 15, 2016, 05:01:06 PM »
     Camp (2003/United States)
Wikipedia |IMDb |Trailer |
(United States)
Director:Todd Graff
Writing:Todd Graff (Writer)
Length:110 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Daniel Letterle as Vladimir 'Vlad' Baumann
Joanna Chilcoat as Ellen Lucas
Robin de Jesus as Michael Flores
Steven Cutts as Shaun
Vince Rimoldi as Spitzer

Plot:
An extremely talented young cast shine in this “energetic musical romp” (Los Angeles Times) about a drama camp where the outcasts of today home their skills to become the stars of tomorrow! Packed with romance, laughs and “genuine show stopping musical numbers” (The Washington Post), Camp is “a blast of exuberant fun” (Rolling Stone)

Every summer, talented kids with big voices and even bigger dreams flock to Camp Ovation. But this year, a sexy new guy, Vlad, is not only stealing the show…he’s stealing the heart of every girl he encounters. And as the biggest day of camp approaches, the young performers must overcome backstabbing, unrequited love and Vlad’s unpredictable libido to pull off the greatest show of their lives!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Production Notes
  • Music Videos
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

I watched this one on Netflix. It is not one that impressed me. I found my mind wandering through-out the entire film. For the most part I was just bored watching it. Not one I will be adding to my collection... not one I can recommend.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 15, 2016, 05:17:17 PM »
     Love & Mercy (2015/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Lionsgate (United States)
Director:Bill Pohlad
Writing:Oren Moverman (Writer), Michael A. Lerner [Michael Alan Lerner] (Writer)
Length:122 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:

Stars:
Elizabeth Banks (1974) as Melinda Ledbetter
John Cusack as Brian Wilson - Future
Paul Dano as Brian Wilson - Past
Paul Giamatti (1967) as Dr. Eugene Landy
Jake Abel as Mike Love

Plot:
This remarkable story of The Beach Boys' genius singer-songwriter Brian Wilson is filled with the best of his muscial masterpieces. Until now, few have known the truth behind his mysterious disappearance from the world's stage. Follow the unforgettable story of the pop icon who fell under the complete control of his controversial therapist, made an acclaimed return to music, and, ultimately, found salvation through a chance meeting with the woman who became his wife.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:

While entertaining and interesting enough to get all the way through... for the most part I found this one fairly average. And I normally enjoy biopics and such. I don't know what...if anything I would change in this film...it just wasn't keeping my attention as much as it should have. I watched this one on Amazon Prime...don't think I will be adding it to my collection.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 15, 2016, 08:44:30 PM »
     I Kissed a Vampire (2012/)
Trailer |IMDb |Wikipedia |
(United States)
Director:Chris Sean Nolan
Writing:
Length:0 min.
Video:Widescreen :1
Audio:
Subtitles:

Stars:
Lucas Grabeel as Dylan Knight
Drew Seeley as Trey Sylvania
Adrian Slade as Sara Lane
Chris Coppola as Dr. Dan Helsing
Amy Paffrath as Luna Dark

Plot:
Haunted by bizarre dreams about Goth rocker Trey Sylvania (DREW SEELEY), and experiencing a growing lust for blood, Dylan (LUCAS GRABEEL), a not-so-average teenager finds himself transforming into a vampire! It all started when he was bitten by a voracious fanged exchange student, and it's a process he is desperate to stop - but how? His demented dentist can't do anything about Dylan's aching teeth and emerging fangs, and the anti-bloodsucking pills he gets from his para-psychologist just give him a rash. Dylan is terrified and he doesn't know what to do - especially about his beautiful girlfriend Sara (ADRIAN SLADE).

Extras:

My Thoughts:

This is another one I watched on Amazon Prime. It was entertaining enough to keep my attention through-out the film. But I would say really not much more then average. Some characters I liked... but others was just plain annoying. I may add it to my collection at some point if I find it very cheap or for free. But it really isn't something I would go searching for.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 15, 2016, 08:51:58 PM »
Movies- 21
Episodes - 4

Danae Cassandra:
Movies - 17 (14 reviewed)
Episodes - 12

;D :tease: :hysterical:
Pete

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 16, 2016, 12:42:32 AM »

Oliver & Company
Year of Release: 1988
Directed By: George Scribner
Starring: Joey Lawrence, Billy Joel, Cheech Marin, Richard Mulligan, Roscoe Lee Browne, Sheryl Lee Ralph
Genre: Adventure, Comedy, Musical

Overview:
Celebrate the 25th anniversary of a Disney classic with the stunning Blu-ray debut of Oliver And Company, featuring perfect picture and sound.

Relive this charming animated adventure, packed with excitement, fun and unforgettable songs by Billy Joel, Bette Midler and Huey Lewis. In the heart of New York City, Oliver, a mischievous orphaned kitten, is befriended by Dodger, a carefree pooch, and his ragtag family of misfit mutts. Life gets even better for Oliver when he is adopted by a lonely little girl named Jenny. But when tough guy Sykes and his Doberman sidekicks try to keep Jenny and Oliver apart, the spirited kitten and his newfound friends discover the meaning of courage and find a home where they truly belong.

My Thoughts:
This is an average Disney animated musical, which does mean it's better than a lot of kids movies from the same era.  Characters range in their quality - Oliver, Dodger and their pals are all cute and quirky, Georgette is posh, prissy and over-the-top, Jenny is super-sweet almost to the point of unbelievably, and Fagan is quite the stereotype of a homeless man (and why would a guy like Sykes loan him money anyway?).  The songs are really fun to listen to, especially "Why Should I Worry?"  I could recommend this to anyone with kids, or who likes Disney.

The blu-ray looks really good, so if you like this film, it's worth the pickup.

Bechdel Test: Fail
Mako Mori Test: Fail

Overall: 3/5
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 12:45:21 AM by Danae Cassandra »
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 16, 2016, 01:39:52 AM »

Swing Time
Year of Release: 1936
Directed By: George Stevens
Starring: Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers, Victor Moore, Helen Broderick, Georges Metaxa
Genre: Romance, Musical

Overview:
Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers headline Swing Time, the romantic spirit-lifter buoyed by a sublime Jerome Kern/Dorothy Fields score, nimble direction by Academy Award® winner* George Stevens and the leads' effortless (after 350 hours of rehearsing!) dancing. The blithe Pick Yourself Up, the Oscar® winning** The Way You Look Tonight, the undeniably moving Never Gonna Dance ode to love and loss, Fred's Bojangles of Harlem tap tribute – they stand out among the standouts in a film widely acknowledged as one of the team's very best.

My Thoughts:
This is a fine Astaire-Rogers film. The dancing is splendid, especially "Never Gonna Dance." Ginger is swell, Fred is charming, and their supporting cast lends some funny moments. Some of the songs have since become standards - "Pick Yourself Up" and "The Way You Look Tonight" especially. This is a fun film, and I would easily recommend it for any lover of musicals, but...

"Bojangles of Harlem" is a bit of a problematic number. Fred's solo dancing is at the top of its game here, and the effect of dancing with the silhouettes is really creative. It's also intended as a tribute to Bill Robinson, who was both a groundbreaking African-American entertainer and friend of Astaire's. In the context of it's time, blackface was common - but as a modern viewer it's hard to watch. Still, after the editing of later films (Melody Time, Make Mine Music, Saludos Amigos, numerous Looney Toons shorts..) I'm glad to see the number hasn't been cut.

Overall: 3.75/5
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 16, 2016, 05:44:11 AM »

That's Entertainment
Year of Release: 1974
Directed By: Jack Haley, Jr.
Starring: Fred Astaire, Bing Crosby, Gene Kelly, Peter Lawford
Genre: Documentary, Musical

Overview:
The incomparable Golden Era of MGM Musicals shines forever in this timeless production that wowed critics and public alike, became a surprise box-office smash and remains today the best compilation movie ever made. The studio was home to "more stars than there are in the heavens" and 125 of them in scenes from nearly 100 films enliven this joyfest. Judy, Ol' Blue Eyes (and James Stewart!) sing. Astaire, Kelly (and Gable!) dance. From Anchors Aweigh to Ziegfeld Follies, from splashy razzmatazz to splashing in puddles, filmmaker Jack Haley Jr.'s affectionate celebration more than lives up to its name.

My Thoughts:
This is extremely entertaining, but would be better with a chronological organisation and some context.  Still I'm very glad to have watched this film, as there quite a few musical numbers I'd never seen before.  Recommended if you're a fan of musicals, as this compilation showcases quite a few great numbers.

Bechdel Test: Fail (N/A)
Mako Mori Test: Fail (N/A)

-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 16, 2016, 06:43:40 AM »
Movies- 21
Episodes - 4

Danae Cassandra:
Movies - 19 (17 reviewed)
Episodes - 12
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 16, 2016, 06:56:51 PM »
Pete:
Movies- 23 (21 Reviewed)
Episodes - 4

Danae Cassandra:
Movies - 19 (17 reviewed)
Episodes - 12

:tease:
Pete

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 17, 2016, 06:13:17 AM »

The Three Caballeros
Year of Release: 1944
Directed By: Norman Ferguson
Starring: Clarence Nash, José Oliveira
Genre: Comedy, Musical

Overview:
The ever-popular and excitable Donald Duck stars in one of his greatest adventures – a dazzling blend of live action and classic Disney animation bursting with south-of-the-border sights and sounds!

When Donald receives a magical collection of gifts from his Latin American friends, they become his passport to a fantastic musical journey with Joe Carioca and Panchito, the charro rooster. With these experts to guide him, Donald hops, skips and jumps his way through every splash of local color – each stop full of surprises and sensational songs!

Disney's 7th full-length animated film, The Three Caballeros is a stunning celebration of visual effects, lighthearted dance and lively Latin music. It's fine-feathered fun for the whole family!

My Thoughts:
This is another of Disney's package films, and the third I've watched this month.  While they're not as well-known or well-loved as Disney's single narrative features, they've still got fun in them.

The best parts of The Three Caballeros are in the beginning - "The Cold-Blooded Penguin" and "The Flying Gauchito" shorts are funny and cute, and stand up very well with any of Disney's short cartoons. The rest of the film is a romantic travel-log of parts of Latin America, mainly focused on Donald's love of pretty women. The pinata section is pretty funny, and the last part of the film is surreal..

The bird characters are fun, however - both Jose Carioca and Panchito the Mexican rooster are good companions for Donald, and get him into some funny gags. The Aracuan Bird is the most hilarious, though, and practically steals the show. He was my favorite.

There's a lot to be said for the art, and animation technique and innovation, however, and if you're a fan of animation this is definitely a film you should watch at some point. If you don't mind Jose Carioca smoking a cigar, it's likely a decent watch for young children, though you'll probably lose the littlest ones with the dancing ladies and the surrealism in the last segment.

I'd upgrade to blu-ray, if it comes out on the format.  It would make a good double-feature release with Saludos Amigos.

-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 17, 2016, 06:15:56 AM »
Pete:
Movies- 23 (21 Reviewed)
Episodes - 4

Danae Cassandra:
Movies - 20 (17 reviewed)
Episodes - 12

I was gone all day, first at work and then wedding shopping with my friend Trish (I'm her maid-of-honor, so we're doing a lot of getting ready for her wedding), so I have a lot of work cut out for me.
-- Thorin Oakenshield