Author Topic: July Movie Marathon: Musicals (Yes... You read right!)  (Read 78287 times)

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: July Movie Marathon: Musicals (Yes... You read right!)
« Reply #75 on: July 13, 2016, 02:42:53 AM »

The Carson City Kid
Year of Release: 1940
Directed By: Joseph Kane
Starring: Roy Rogers, George "Gabby" Hayes, Bob Steele, Noah Beery Jr., Pauline Moore
Genre: Western, Musical

Overview:
Roy Rogers, posing as The Carson City Kid, is determined to exact vengeance on his brother's killer.

My Thoughts:
This isn't a bad little B-western. The story's just about right for the length of the picture, and the cast does a credible (if not spectacular) job. I also like Joby's character quite a lot. There's only a couple of songs, but for an hour-long program that might be about right. Would have liked Roy to sing a bit more though.

Bechdel Test: Fail
Mako Mori Test: Fail

Overall: 2.5/5
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 13, 2016, 02:43:53 AM »
Pete:
Movies- 14 (13 reviewed)
Episodes - 4

Danae Cassandra:
Movies - 13
Episodes - 12
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 13, 2016, 05:12:18 AM »
     Annie (2014/United States)
Wikipedia |IMDb |Trailer |
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Will Gluck
Writing:Will Gluck (Screenwriter), Aline Brosh McKenna (Screenwriter), Thomas Meehan (Original Material By)
Length:118 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish, Commentary

Stars:
Jamie Foxx as Will Stacks
Quvenzhané Wallis as Annie
Rose Byrne as Grace
Bobby Cannavale as Guy
Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje as Ash

Plot:
Academy Award® nominee Quvenzhané Wallis (Best Actress, Beasts of the Southern Wild, 2012) stars as Annie, a young, happy foster kid who’s also tough enough to make her way on the streets of New York. But everything’s about to change when the hard-nosed tycoon and New York mayoral candidate Will Stacks (Jamie Foxx) makes a thinly-veiled campaign move and takes her in. Stacks believes he’s her guardian angel, but Annie’s self-assured nature and bright, sun-will-come-out-tomorrow outlook on life just might mean it’s the other way around. ...

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Music Videos
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • Digital Copy
  • Trivia Track

My Thoughts:

I didn't know what to expect going into this one... but I must say I was pleasantly surprised. They made this remake right,,, changing it enough to be viewed as a different film, but yet making enough of it the same to pay a good homage to the original. I really liked the entire cast in this one. The story line was well done and kept my attention through-out with ease. I would definitely recommend this one to anyone that is a fan of the original.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 13, 2016, 06:37:45 AM »
     Lemonade Mouth: Extended Edition (2011/United States)
Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment, Martin Chase Productions (United States)
Director:Patricia Riggen
Writing:April Blair (Screenwriter), Mark Peter Hughes (Original Material By)
Length:113 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Bridgit Mendler as Olivia
Adam Hicks as Wen
Hayley Kiyoko as Stella
Naomi Scott as Mohini
Blake Michael as Charlie

Plot:
Be heard. Be strong. Be proud. It's time to turn up the music and have some fun with an all-new Disney Channel Movie, starring Bridgit Mendler and Adam Hicks and introducing ten awesome new songs!

When five ragtag freshmen first meet in detention, it seems they have nothing in common. But, through music, they form an unbreakable bond and discover they have the makings of the greatest high school garage band in history! In the face of incredible odds, Olivia, Stella, Wen, Mohini and Charlie find they can make a real difference when they learn to lean on each other and let go of everything holding back their dreams.

Turn the world into your own stage with Lemonade Mouth: Extended Edition, complete with an exclusive music scene.
Life is just a roller coaster - take the ride!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Digital Copy
  • Rock-Along

My Thoughts:

This is another one that surprised me that I enjoyed it as much as I did. A film I found on Netflix and do plan on adding to my collection at some point in the near future. I liked how they did the story line... it easily kept my attention from beginning to end. And I enjoyed all the characters. Another film I feel comfortable recommending.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 13, 2016, 06:42:57 AM »
Pete:
Movies- 15
Episodes - 4

Danae Cassandra:
Movies - 13
Episodes - 12
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2016, 06:27:02 PM »
I got another one in this morning... but don't have the time to review it... will get it reviewed tomorrow.

Pete:
Movies- 16 (15 Reviewed)
Episodes - 4

Danae Cassandra:
Movies - 13
Episodes - 12
Pete

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 14, 2016, 06:12:35 AM »

Sleeping Beauty
Year of Release: 1959
Directed By: Clyde Geronimi
Starring: Mary Costa, Eleanor Audley, Barbara Luddy, Taylor Holmes, Bill Shirley, Verna Felton
Genre: Fantasy, Romance, Musical

Overview:
For the first time ever, the magic of Blu-ray™ high definition technology reveals the full scope of the glorious artistry and attention to detail in Walt Disney's groundbreaking Original Classic Sleeping Beauty. This spectacular 50th Anniversary Blu-ray edition is a sensory celebration—with more of the film than you've ever seen before! From the grand celebration of Princess Aurora's birth, to the fateful day when she falls under Maleficent's evil curse, to Prince Phillip's courageous battle against a fire-breathing dragon, the new digital restoration and Disney Enhanced High Definition Sound will awaken your senses and envelop you in this fantastic world.

My Thoughts:
When you're a kid, you don't realize how absolutely, thoroughly inept those three faeries are.  I mean, not only do they botch their whole plan with stupid infighting over the color of a dress, but Merryweather's insulting Maleficent could honestly be argued to start the whole thing.  It's no wonder Maleficent is the breakout character - she's the only intelligent, interesting one.

Bechdel Test: Pass
Mako Mori Test: Fail

Overall: 3/5
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 14, 2016, 06:13:14 AM »
Pete:
Movies- 16 (15 Reviewed)
Episodes - 4

Danae Cassandra:
Movies - 15 (14 reviewed)
Episodes - 12
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 14, 2016, 05:17:07 PM »
     Joyful Noise (2012/United States)
IMDb |Trailer |Wikipedia |
Warner Home Video (United States)
Director:Todd Graff
Writing:Todd Graff (Writer)
Length:118 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:French, Spanish

Stars:
Queen Latifah as Vi Rose Hill
Dolly Parton as G.G. Sparrow
Keke Palmer as Olivia Hill
Jeremy Jordan as Randy Garrity
Dexter Darden as Walter Hill

Plot:
Oscar® nominees Queen Latifah and Dolly Parton star in this funny and inspirational story of music, hope an love. Their small Georgia town has fallen on hard times and is counting on the church choir to lift everyone's spirits by winning the national Joyful Noise Competition. But discord between the two leading ladies threatens to tear everything apart when Vi Rose (Latifah) plans to stick with a traditional style, while fiery G.G. (Parton) wants to shake things up in a big way!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • DVD-ROM Content
  • Digital Copy
  • extended Songs

My Thoughts:

While this is a fun and entertaining film... I have definitely have seen better. I felt the acting could be better... which always dampens the entertainment value. But it is a good story. Over all I would say it is worth the time put in to watch it...but there are definitely better choices out there.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 14, 2016, 05:39:16 PM »
     On the Double (1961/United States)
Wikipedia |IMDb |
Olive Films (United States)
Director:Melville Shavelson
Writing:Jack Rose (Writer), Melville Shavelson (Writer)
Length:92 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:

Stars:
Danny Kaye
Dana Wynter
Margaret Rutherford
Diana Dors

Plot:
American GI Ernie Williams, admittedly weak-kneed, has an uncanny resemblance to British Colonel MacKenzie. Williams, also a master of imitation and disguise, is asked to impersonate the Colonel, ostensibly to allow the Colonel to make a secret trip East. What Williams is not told is that the Colonel has recently been a target of assassins. After the Colonel's plane goes down, the plan changes and Williams maintains the disguise to confuse the Nazis about D-Day.

Extras:
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:

I watched this one last night on Amazon Prime. Watching it I don't know that I personally would consider this one a musical but both Amazon Prime and IMDB has it listed as a Musical Comedy. I must say I just wasn't that impressed with this film. I am actually surprised how high the rating for it is on IMDB. I personally didn't find it very funny or very musical. But there is a fair share of music in it so I am including it in the marathon. Though this is not one I see the need to ever watch again. See no sense in adding this one to my collection.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 14, 2016, 05:53:56 PM »
     Footloose (2011/United States)
Paramount Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Craig Brewer
Writing:Dean Pitchford (Story By), Dean Pitchford (Screenwriter), Craig Brewer (Screenwriter)
Length:113 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, French, Portuguese, Spanish

Stars:
Kenny Wormald as Ren
Julianne Hough as Ariel
Dennis Quaid as Rev. Shaw Moore
Andie MacDowell as Vi Moore
Miles Teller as Willard

Plot:
The 1984 classic is now the modern hit that will make you stand up and cheer! Big city teen Ren MacCormack (Kenny Wormald) moves to a quiet town and discovers that the hard-line minister has outlawed loud music and dancing. But everything changes when Ren challenges the ban, revitalizing the town and falling in loe with the minister's daughter Ariel (Julianne Hough). Critics and audiences agree "Footloose has an infectious spirit"* so get ready to cut loose.

*Alynda Wheat, PEOPLE

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Music Videos
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:

This one I really liked the story line and I felt the cast all did a fine job. I find it well worth the time put in to watch it. Compared to the original? While that is something I don't normally like to do I will say this one seems to over explain the plot...more in your face. Has the viewers in general really lost that much of an attention span that everything must be explained step by step? Over-all I feel comfortable recommending this one.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 14, 2016, 06:02:14 PM »

Pete:
Movies- 19 (18 Reviewed)
Episodes - 4

Danae Cassandra:
Movies - 15 (14 reviewed)
Episodes - 12
Pete

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2016, 08:08:31 PM »
Since there is a prize for the winner and stuff, is ok to ask what the prize is? ;) Or is that a secret? =)
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2016, 02:25:04 AM »
Yeah Dakar Cassandra... What's the prize?  ;D
Pete

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 15, 2016, 03:00:49 PM »
Since there is a prize for the winner and stuff, is ok to ask what the prize is? ;) Or is that a secret? =)

It is a wrapped package containing shiny silver discs.  If Pete wins he gets to open it on August 1st.  If I win he has to wait for Christmas.   :clapcheer:
-- Thorin Oakenshield