Author Topic: July Movie Marathon: Musicals (Yes... You read right!)  (Read 78074 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: July Movie Marathon: Musicals (Yes... You read right!)
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2016, 03:14:08 PM »
     Grease Live! (2016/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Paramount (United States)
Director: Thomas Kail
Writing: Allan Carr
Length:132 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Julianne Hough as Sandy
Aaron Tveit as Danny
Vanessa Hudgens as Rizzo
Keke Palmer as Marty
Carly Rae Jepsen as Frenchy

Plot:
Join the rollicking gang of Rydell High for Grease Live!, an electrifying production of the hugely popular musical "Grease" – performed before a studio audience LIVE! Featuring a cast of today's hottest young stars including Julianne Hough, Aaron Tveit, Vanessa Hudgens, Keke Palmer, and Carly Rae Jepsen. With new music by Jessie J, Boys II Men, and DNCE, Grease Live! will reintroduce the unforgettable moments, classic music, and timeless love story to an entirely new generation.

My Thoughts:

I watched this one on Netflix. It took me a while to write this review. Mainly because I want to give it a fair review for the show that it was... without comparing it too much to the movie. I know there has to be some comparison while watching but I wanted to review this on it's own merits. Some of the cast choices seemed odd to me. But others was right on. I felt Vanessa Hudgens did a wonderful job as Rizzo and Julianne Hough was good as Sandy... but that is about the best I can say about the cast. On one hand I thought it was a good homage to the film and I liked the live aspect... but on the other hand they made some choices that left me scratching my head. Even watching this version I couldn't help myself from thinking of Dawn. As much as she loved the original film and as many times as she made me sit through it... because of this the entire Grease franchise has a special place in my heart.

My advice on this one... you are better off watching the original film. But if you must see it... there is worse ways to waste just over 2hrs of your time. Would I add this one to my collection? Maybe if I got it super cheap or free. But I don't feel the need to rush adding it.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2016, 03:47:37 PM »
I just thought of something scary!... This month already I have watched more musicals then Danae Cassandra!  :tease:

Oh what would the reaction be (both here at home and online) if at the end of the month I end up watching more musicals then Danae Cassandra?  :hysterical:
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2016, 06:49:28 AM »
So how are you dealing with it so far? Gag reflex not a problem so far?

Once you start pulling out your hair, it's time to stop!

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2016, 06:38:48 PM »
OK so far.... I have a couple more watched... just need to write the reviews. Just very busy at work right now.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2016, 04:57:15 AM »
     Yankee Doodle Dandy: Two-Disc Special Edition (1942/United States)
Warner Home Video, Turner Entertainment (United States)
Director:Michael Curtiz
Writing:Robert Buckner (Screenwriter), Edmund Joseph (Screenwriter), Robert Buckner (Original Material By)
Length:126 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
James Cagney as George M. Cohan
Joan Leslie as Mary
Walter Huston as Jerry Cohan
Richard Whorf as Sam Harris
Irene Manning as Fay Templeton

Plot:
A musical portrait of composer/singer/dancer George M. Cohan. From his early days as a child-star in his family's vaudeville show up to the time of his comeback at which he received a medal from the president for his special contributions to the US, this is the life- story of George M. Cohan, who produced, directed, wrote and starred in his own musical shows for which he composed his famous songs.

Yankee Doodle Dandy will include "Warner Bros' Night at the Movies 1942" (Casablanca theatrical trailer, a vintage newsreel, the short "Beyond the Line of Duty," and the Looney Tunes short "Bugs Bunny Gets the Boid"). Other extras include a commentary from Behlmer and trailers for seven Cagney films;"James Cagney: Top of the World" biographical tribute hosted by Michael J. Fox; "Let Freedom Sing!: The Story of Yankee Doodle Dandy" making-of documentary; the Looney Tunes shorts "Yankee Doodle Daffy" and "Yankee Doodle Bugs"; the wartime short "You, John Jones" starring Cagney and Greer Garson; audio-only outtakes and rehearsals; the Oct. 19, 1942, Lady Esther Screen Guild Theater Radio Show with the film's cast members; and other material.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Production Notes
  • Closed Captioned
  • Looney Tunes

My Thoughts:

This one while entertaining... will not be a favorite. I found it to be a little slow in parts and found myself waiting for the ending to come. I will say this I seen a different side of James Cagney in this one and I must admit I am impressed. Don't get me wrong I would say this one is worth the watch....and while I may add it to my collection at some point... it is not one I will be in a hurry to find.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2016, 05:11:09 AM »

Psych - Season 7 Episode 15-16: Psych the Musical
Shawn and Gus dive into a world that's equal parts mystery and melody to track down an escaped playwright mad man, Z, who six years earlier was deemed criminally insane after locking a critic in a back room of the theater that he burnt to the ground.

My Thoughts:
Pretty much just an average episode here. Not so sure it deserved to be double length. Some of the musical numbers felt forced.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2016, 02:09:13 PM »
     Camp Rock: Extended Rock Star Edition (2008/United States)
Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment, Buena Vista Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Matthew Diamond
Writing:Karin Gist (Writer), Regina Hicks (Writer), Julie Brown (Writer), Paul Brown (Writer)
Length:99 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: PCM: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Portuguese, Spanish

Stars:
Demi Lovato as Mitchie Torres
Joe Jonas as Shane Gray
Meaghan Jette Martin as Tess
Maria Canals Barrera as Connie Torres
Alyson Stoner as Caitlyn Geller

Plot:
This summer is gonna Rock! Get read to sing and dance as you experience the Disney Channel Original Movie Camp Rock in an amazing new way on Blu-ray Disc™! Check out awesome bonus features exclusive to Blu-ray, including the Camp Rock Set Tours!

When Mitchie gets a chance to attend Camp Rock, her life takes an unpredictable twist, and she learns just how important it is to be true to yourself. Join the platinum-selling Jonas Brothers and the hottest cast of performers at the coolest summer camp anywhere! Experience Camp Rock at its best on Blu-ray Disc, complete with a pristine picture and theater-quality sound. Packed with hit music, hip dance moves and bonus features, Camp Rock will have you singing, dancing and rocking over and over again.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Music Videos
  • Karaoke

My Thoughts:

I am a grown man that enjoys the Disney Channel Original Movies.... so sue me! :P I watched this one on Netflix. And I enjoyed it. I liked the concept... the cast did well.... and was enough to keep my attention through-out. I can see myself adding this one to my collection. Also noticed there is a part 2 on netflix as well... guess I will have to watch it also.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2016, 02:19:31 PM »
Let's see... how's it going?

Pete:
Movies- 5
Episodes - 3

Danea Cassandra:
Movies - 2 (1 reviewed)
Episodes - 0

:tease: :hysterical:
Pete

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2016, 04:33:05 PM »

Pete:
Movies- 5
Episodes - 3

Danea Cassandra:
Movies - 2 (1 reviewed)
Episodes - 0

Hey, I have to work!  And run errands!  And I had half my review written for Yankee Doodle Dandy when the power blipped yesterday.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2016, 08:38:26 PM »

Yankee Doodle Dandy
Year of Release: 1942
Directed By: Michael Curtiz
Starring: James Cagney, Joan Leslie, Walter Huston, Richard Whorf, Irene Manning
Genre: Drama, Biography, Musical

Overview:
A musical portrait of composer/singer/dancer George M. Cohan. From his early days as a child-star in his family's vaudeville show up to the time of his comeback at which he received a medal from the president for his special contributions to the US, this is the life- story of George M. Cohan, who produced, directed, wrote and starred in his own musical shows for which he composed his famous songs.

Yankee Doodle Dandy will include "Warner Bros' Night at the Movies 1942" (Casablanca theatrical trailer, a vintage newsreel, the short "Beyond the Line of Duty," and the Looney Tunes short "Bugs Bunny Gets the Boid"). Other extras include a commentary from Behlmer and trailers for seven Cagney films; "James Cagney: Top of the World" biographical tribute hosted by Michael J. Fox; "Let Freedom Sing!: The Story of Yankee Doodle Dandy" making-of documentary; the Looney Tunes shorts "Yankee Doodle Daffy" and "Yankee Doodle Bugs"; the wartime short "You, John Jones" starring Cagney and Greer Garson; audio-only outtakes and rehearsals; the Oct. 19, 1942, Lady Esther Screen Guild Theater Radio Show with the film's cast members; and other material.

My Thoughts
This is very much a film of its time.  The display of patriotism and the classic American dream is absolute vintage WWII; a snapshot of a less cynical era.  That's partly why Yankee Doodle Dandy hasn't aged as well as other films of the era.  Cohen's songs come off as naive; his faith in his country innocent.

Still, Cagney's performance is dynamite, and the film is worth watching just for him.  Douglas Croft, who plays Cohen at a younger age, is also really great in his part.  The song and dance numbers are fine, but the pacing could be better.  As a biography, it makes Cohen a much more wholesome, clean-cut fella than he really was - reality is always complex, and the Cohen here isn't.  

Still, this is an iconic piece of 40's cinema, and worth watching for cinema enthusiasts.

Bechdel Test: Fail
Mako Mori Test: Fail

Overall: 3.25/5
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 02:36:12 PM by Danae Cassandra »
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2016, 08:39:27 PM »
Danae Cassandra:
Movies - 3 (2 reviewed)
Episodes - 0
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2016, 11:12:37 PM »
     Camp Rock 2: The Final Jam: Extended Edition (2010/United States)
Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment, Buena Vista Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Paul Hoen
Writing:Dan Berendsen (Writer), Karin Gist (Writer), Regina Hicks (Writer), Karin Gist (Original Characters By), Regina Hicks (Original Characters By), Julie Brown (Original Characters By), Paul Brown (Original Characters By)
Length:104 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: DTS: 5.1, Spanish: DTS: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Dutch: DTS: 5.1
Subtitles:Dutch, English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Demi Lovato as Mitchie
Joe Jonas as Shane
Nick Jonas as Nate
Kevin Jonas as Jason
Daniel Fathers as Brown

Plot:
Get ready to ROCK with the biggest musical event of the year—now in an Extended Edition with never-before-seen scenes & songs! Join Mitchie (Demi Lovato), Shane, Nate and Jason (Jonas Brothers), and some brand-new campers across the lake for 2 times the music, 2 times the dance moves and 2 times the fun in Camp Rock 2: The Final Jam! Plus only this Extended Edition Combo Pack includes a behind-the-scenes introduction to the newest stars, music videos by Camp Rockers from around the world, and "Rock-Along," where you take center stage!

Mitchie can't wait to go back to Camp Rock and spend the summer making new music with her friends and superstar Shane Gray. But the slick new camp across the lake, Camp Star, has drummed up some serious competition—featuring newcomers Luke (Matthew "Mdot" Finley) and Dana (Chloe Bridges). In a sensational battle of the bands, with Camp Rock's future at stake, will Camp Star's flashy production and over-the-top antics win out, or will Camp Rockers prove that music, teamwork, and spirit are what truly matter?

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Music Videos
  • Digital Copy
  • Rock-Along

My Thoughts:

This one iis a good follow-up. I liked where they went with the story. I the camp don't just concentrate on the music but also do traditional summer camp type stuff as well. I can see myself watching the Camp Rock films again.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2016, 11:35:48 PM »
     Mamma Mia!: The Movie (2008/United States)
Wikipedia |IMDb |Trailer |
Universal Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Phyllida Lloyd
Writing:Catherine Johnson (Screenwriter), Catherine Johnson (Original Material By)
Length:109 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: DTS: 5.1, Spanish: DTS: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Amanda Seyfried as Sophie
Stellan Skarsgård as Bill
Pierce Brosnan as Sam
Nancy Baldwin as Sam's PA
Colin Firth as Harry

Plot:
Sophie has just one wish to make her wedding perfect: to have her father walk her down the aisle. Now she just has to find out who he is. Join the music, laughter and fun of the irresistibly charming Mamma Mia! The Movie. Academy Award®-winner Meryl Streep* leads an all-star cast, including Pierce Brosnan and Colin Firth – as well as up-and-comers Amanda Seyfried and Dominic Cooper, in this musical celebration of mothers, daughters and fathers, and true loves lost and new ones found. Based on the Broadway smash-hit and filled with the ABBA songs you know and love, it's the feel-good experience that will have you singing and dancing over and over again.

*1979 Best Supporting Actress, Kramer vs. Kramer; 1982 Best Actress, Sophie's Choice.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Music Videos
  • Interviews
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • Picture-in-picture
  • BD-Live
  • Digital Copy
  • U-Control, Sing-Along

My Thoughts:

After watching this one I found I have mixed feelings. On the one hand it is an entertaining story... and the entire cast did a great job. But on the other hand...I DO NOT LIKE UNANSWERED QUESTIONS! That and a couple other small things that bothered me. One being the loudness of all the songs. It is like they cranked up the volume for the musical numbers. By the time it was over I had a decent head ache. Either way... it is an enjoyable movie... I can see myself watching it again. But not in a real hurry to do so.

Rating:
Pete

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2016, 12:48:55 AM »
Is it a competion between you two now? ;) hehe.
And do you have a new favorite genre now Pete? ;) hehe
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2016, 01:29:09 AM »

Pete:
Movies- 7
Episodes - 3

Danea Cassandra:
Movies - 3 (2 reviewed)
Episodes - 0

Pete