Author Topic: May Marathon - Animals  (Read 6405 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
May Marathon - Animals
« on: May 01, 2016, 07:07:25 PM »
May Marathon:

Animals

Normally in May I do my month long birthday marathon...  but I just didn't feel up to doing that for an entire month this year. I may decide to do a small one towards the end of the month (my birthday is the 31st)... but wanted to do something else for the month. The idea of Animals was actually Danae Cassandra's idea... as one of the things we plan to do during our vacations (also the end of the month) is to visit the St. Louis State Zoo. So animals popped into our mind.

Possible Titles to Watch:
Titles in BOLD I never seen before.

Anaconda
Anacondas: The Hunt for the Blood Orchid
Anaconda 3
Arachnophobia
Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend
The Bat
Benji
Benji off the Leash
Benji's Very Own Christmas Story
Beverly Hills Chihuahua
Beverly Hills Chihuahua 2
Beverly Hills Chihuahua 3
Big Miracle
Boa vs Python
A Cat in Paris
Dr. Seuss' The Cat in the Hat
Cat's Eye
Chicken Run
Cujo
Dinocroc
The Dog Who Saved Halloween
Dolphin Tale
Dolphin Tale 2
Dr. Dolittle
Dr. Dolittle 2
Dr. Dolittle 3
Dr. Dolittle: Tale to the Chief
Eight Legged Freaks
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Far from Home: The Adventures of Yellow Dog
Farce of the Penguins
Fly Away Home
For the Love of Benji
G-Force
Garfield: The Movie
Garfield: A Tale of Two Kitties
The Gorilla
Gorillas in the Mist
Hachi: A Dog's Tale
Hotel for Dogs
Ice Age
Kaw
King Kong (1933)
King Kong (1976)
King Kong (2005)
Komodo
Life of Pi
Marley and Me
Marley and Me: The Puppy Years
Mega Piranha
Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus
Monkey Trouble
More Than Puppy Love
Mr. Popper's Penguins
Nabonga
National Geographic: Relentless Enemies
National Geographic: The Great White Odyssey
Open Season
The Penguins of Madagascar
Piranha
Puss in Boots
The Reef
Rio
Santa Buddies: The Legend of Santa Paws
Santa Paws 2: The Santa Pups
Saving Shiloh
Seabiscuit
The Search For Santa Paws
Secretariat
The Shaggy Dog
Shiloh
Son of Kong
Spooky Buddies
Sssssss
The Water Horse: Legend of the Deep
We Bought a Zoo
White Fang to the Rescue
Willard
Zookeeper
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 05:30:33 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: May Marathon - Animals
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 11:53:24 PM »
     Ice Age (2002/United States)
Wikipedia |IMDb |Trailer |
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Chris Wedge
Writing:Michael J. Wilson (Story By), Michael Berg (Screenwriter), Michael J. Wilson (Screenwriter), Peter Ackerman (Screenwriter)
Length:81 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:Chinese, English, Korean, Spanish

Stars:
Ray Romano as Manfred
John Leguizamo as Sid
Denis Leary as Diego
Goran Visnjic as Soto
Jack Black as Zeke

Plot:
Heading south to avoid a bad case of global frostbite, a group of migrating misfit creatures embark on a hilarious quest to reunite a human baby with his tribe. Featuring an all-star voice cast, including Ray Romano, John Leguizamo and Denis Leary, ICE AGE is the coolest animated adventure of all time!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Closed Captioned
  • Short: Gone Nutty

My Thoughts:

I watched this one with my daughter Brittany today. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I really liked the animation here... and the story was enjoyable as well. It is definitely worth the time put in to watch it. Looks like I will have to look into seeing the sequels.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 03:01:20 AM »
     Fly Away Home: Special Edition (1996/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Carroll Ballard
Writing:Bill Lishman (Original Material By), Robert Rodat (Screenwriter), Vince McKewin (Screenwriter)
Length:107 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.80:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 5.0
Subtitles:Chinese, English, French, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai

Stars:
Jeff Daniels as Thomas Alden
Anna Paquin as Amy Alden
Dana Delany as Susan Barnes
Terry Kinney as David Alden
Holter Graham as Barry Strickland

Plot:
The soaring adventure of a 13-year-old girl and her estranged father, who learn what family is all about when they adopt an orphaned flock of geese and teach them to fly!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Production Notes
  • DVD-ROM Content
  • Closed Captioned
  • Isolated Music Score with Isham Commentary

My Thoughts:

I haven't seen this movie in about 5 years now. I remembered really enjoying it and the bsic plot... but not much else.. I forgot just how much I enjoyed this one...it is well worth every minute put in to watch it. With the father being an artist/inventor, they did make him out to be a bit out there... but I guess he had to be where the story had to go. I really liked Anna Paquin in this early role... probably one of her first roles... as the teen age girl that had to fly the geese south for the winter. I became a fan of hers after seeing her in the Showtime series True Blood. So it is pretty cool seeing her in such an early role. I also liked Dana Delaney as the father's girlfriend. As I said... I really enjoyed this one. A real feel good type movie. I definitely want to upgrade this one to Blu-ray before too long!

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 11:42:24 PM »
     Far From Home: The Adventures of Yellow Dog: Family Feature (1995/United States)
Director:Phillip Borsos
Writing:Phillip Borsos (Writer)
Length:81 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Mimi Rogers as Katherine McCormick
Bruce Davison as John McCormick
Jesse Bradford as Angus McCormick
Tom Bower as John Gale
Joel Palmer as Silas McCormick

Plot:
Set against the backdrop of the Canadian wilderness, this heartwarming adventure about a young boy and his dog is perfect entertainment for the whole family.

When their boat capsizes in turbulent waters off the Pacific Northwest, John McCormick's (Bruce Davidson) 14-year-old son Angus (Jesse Bradford), and newly adopted Golden Lab are swept ashore. As his terrified mother (Mimi Rogers) and father never give up hope that he will be found alive, Angus and his faithful friend struggle to survive in the rugged wilds. In the process they forge a special bond that neither time nor distance can break in this special story of love, loyalty and perseverance.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

This one is a good story that I enjoyed quite a bit. Sure I found it to be a bit on the predictable side... but they still made it work. I liked that they portrayed the kid as smart and knew how to take care of himself out in the wilderness. But at the same time making Yellow essential to the story. Definitely worth the time put in to watch.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 03:44:35 PM »
     Secretariat (2010/United States)
Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment, Buena Vista Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Randall Wallace
Writing:Mike Rich (Writer), William Nack (Original Material By)
Length:123 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Diane Lane as Penny Chenery
John Malkovich as Lucien Laurin
Dylan Walsh as Jack Tweedy
Dylan Baker as Hollis Chenery
Margo Martindale as Miss Ham

Plot:
Disney presents an astonishing true story bursting with hope, heart and courage. Diane Lane and John Malkovich lead a celebrated cast in this inspirational motion picture from the producers of Miracle, Invincible and The Rookie.

Behind every legend lies an impossible dream. Witness the spectacular journey of an incredible horse, Secretariat, and the moving story of his unlikely owner, a housewife who risked everything to make him a champion. Out of the gate, Secretariat is hours of pulse-pounding entertainment for the whole family!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Music Videos
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

I have always liked a good true story. And this one is a very good one. I enjoyed every minute of it.The story easily kept my attention through-out... the cast did a great job.... sure I have seen movies that I have enjoyed more but I have no complaints about this one. It is well worth the time put in to watch it. Highly recommended.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 04:01:39 PM »
     Stub: The Best Cowdog in the West: Disney Exclusives (1973/United States)
IMDb |
Buena Vista Home Entertainment, Walt Disney Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Larry Lansbaugh
Writing:Larry Lansbaugh (Original Material By), Janet Lansbaugh (Screenwriter), William C. Anderson (Screenwriter)
Length:49 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:

Stars:
Rex Allen as Narrator
Slim Pickens as Windy Bill
Jay Sisler as Himself
Mike Herbert as The Boy
Luann Beach as The Rancher's Daughter

Plot:
At last...the best of Sunday night TV is back! It's the legendary TV show popular with audiences for 29 years. The longest-running prime-time series in television history (1954-1983). The winner of numerous awards, including seven Emmys. It's THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF DISNEY!

Journey to California's picturesque Santa Inez Valley as a wild Brahma bull threatens the area's prized cattle herds. The rancher's best hopes for corralling the 1800-pound horned hooligan are three talented Australian "cow cutter" shepherd dogs – Stub, Queen and Shorty. Stub has more than just good cow sense. He keeps a few tricks "up his sleeve" for rodeos, roundups and a daring river rescue. Hold on to your cowboy hat and try to stay in the saddle as you experience a generous slice of western adventure.

Extras:
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:

I must say this is a different kind of film. Not a bad one... but definitely different. It felt like the story itself took a back seat to just showing animal tricks. It felt like a movie but not... a documentary but not. It is really kind of hard to explain.While there was talking in the film... more time then not it was narrated. But none of this means it was a bad movie. I did enjoy it. I would even say it was above average for what it was. But it is definitely different then what I am used to watching.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 04:03:43 PM »
     Zoombies (2016/)
IMDb |Trailer |
(United States)
Director:Glenn R. Miller
Writing:Scotty Mullen (Screenwriter)
Length:87 min.
Video:Widescreen
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:None

Stars:
Ione Butler as Lizzy
Andrew Asper as Gage
Lala Nestor as Thea
Kim Nielsen as Dr. Ellen Rogers
Marcus Anderson as Rex

Plot:
When a strange virus quickly spreads through a safari park and turns all the zoo animals undead, those left in the park must stop the creatures before they escape and zombify the whole city.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Outtakes/Bloopers

My Thoughts:

When I saw this one I seen listed in Redbox I didn't think there would be much to it. I thought more or less a bad movie to laugh at. But I must say... it was better then I thought it would be! It is definitely not what I would call a great movie Maybe it is because I wasn't expecting much going in... but I would say it is worth the time put in to watch it. I found the story to be interesting... but at the same time the effects and look of the infected animals to be lacking. I may add this one to my collection if I found it cheap enough.

Rating:
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 06:18:14 AM »
I saw Zoombies pop up on your Facebook feed yesterday and checked out the trailer. While I don't want to add it to my collection, I certainly want to check it out, it looks like quite some fun! Your review only emphasizes this...

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 07:03:23 PM »
     Eight Legged Freaks: Widescreen Edition (2002/United States, Australia)
Warner Home Video (United States)
Director:Ellory Elkayem
Writing:Ellory Elkayem (Story By), Randy Kornfield (Story By), Jesse Alexander (Screenwriter), Ellory Elkayem (Screenwriter)
Length:99 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
David Arquette as Chris
Kari Wuhrer as Sam
Scott Terra as Mike
Scarlett Johansson as Ashley
Doug E. Doug as Harlan

Plot:
What do you get when you cross toxic waste with a bunch of exotic spiders? Eaten!

The townies of Prosperity, Arizona, will all become a screaming smorgasbord if mutated arachnids as big as SUVs have their way in this comedy/horror crowd-pleaser whose creators include the producers of "Independence Day" and "Godzilla." Spiders that leap like gazelles, web-spitting spiders, spiders that suck your insides out as if through a straw – they're among the behemoths conjured up by an inventive effects team. David Arquette heads the two-legged stars, mobilizing the citizenry in a last-ditch fight to survive. Here's hoping they succeed. Otherwise Prosperity – maybe the world – may be reduced to one giant, uh, website!

Extras:

My Thoughts:

While I love horror movies... as many already know... I absolutely hate spiders. And let me tell you the giant spiders in this movie all but freak me out. So I spent the most of this movies with the hairs sticking up on the back of my neck. I liked the two leads in this one. David Arquette who I have enjoyed in everything I have seen him in so far... and Kari Wuhrer who I know from when she joined the cast of Sliders in the third season. The movie has a nice mixture of horror and comedy. It is fun... without taking itself too seriously... while at the same time tells a pretty good story. Worth the time to watch it.

Rating:
    Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 10:08:46 PM »
         Arachnophobia (1990/United States)
    Hollywood Pictures Home Entertainment, Buena Vista Home Entertainment (United States)
    Director:Frank Marshall
    Writing:Don Jakoby (Story By), Al Williams (Story By), Don Jakoby (Screenwriter), Wesley Strick (Screenwriter)
    Length:110 min.
    Video:Widescreen 1.85:1
    Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
    Subtitles:English, French, Portuguese, Spanish

Stars:
    Jeff Daniels (1955) as Ross Jennings
    Harley Jane Kozak as Molly Jennings
    John Goodman (1952) as Delbert McClintock
    Julian Sands as Dr. James Atherton
    Stuart Pankin as Sheriff Parsons

Plot:
    Get caught in a web of laughs, thrills and chills with Arachnophobia from legendary Executive Producer Steven Spielberg — now available for the first time on Blu-ray, featuring an all-new digital restoration with enhanced picture and sound.

Jeff Daniels and John Goodman star in this creepy comedy, crawling with the perfect mix of fun and fright.

Everyone is afraid of something. But when Dr. Ross Jennings (Daniels) moves his family to a quiet place in the country, the one thing that bugs him the most is terrifying everyone in town. For this unlikely hero, overcoming a childhood fear of spiders might just save the day. Enjoy the hair-raising entertainment of Arachnophobia like never before on Blu-ray!

Extras:
    • Scene Access
    • Feature Trailers
    • Bonus Trailers
    • Featurettes

My Thoughts:

I enjoyed this one quite a bit. Though I do admit I can only watch it but so often as I always get the chills watching it. I so hate spiders! But the film is a lot of fun and has a good story. It is definitely worth the time put in to watch it.

Rating:
    Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: May 19, 2016, 04:27:15 PM »
         Life of Pi: 3-Disc Collector's Edition (2012/United States, United Kingdom, Taiwan)
    Director:Ang Lee
    Writing:Yann Martel (Original Material By), David Magee (Screenwriter)
    Length:127 min.
    Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
    Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
    Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
    Suraj Sharma as Pi Patel
    Irrfan Khan as Adult Pi Patel
    Ayush Tandon as Pi Patel (11/12 years)
    Gautam Belur as Pi Patel (5 years)
    Adil Hussain as Santosh Patel

Plot:
    Embark on the adventure of a lifetime in this visual masterpiece from Oscar® winner Ang Lee*, based on the best-selling novel. After a cataclysmic shipwreck, young Pi Patel finds himself stranded on a lifeboat with the only other survivor – a ferocious Bengal tiger named Richard Parker. Bound by the need to survive, the two are cast on an epic journey that must be seen to be believed.

*Directing, Brokeback Mountain, 2005

Extras:
    • Scene Access
    • Bonus Trailers
    • Closed Captioned
    • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:

I found this film entertaining and beautifully made. While there might have been a part here and there that didn't make much sense to me the story line kept may full attention through-out. Everyone did a fine job with this one. I feel comfortable recommending it. Worth the time put in to watch it.

Rating:
    Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: May 20, 2016, 05:39:19 PM »
         Hotel for Dogs (2009/United States)
    Paramount Home Entertainment (United States)
    Director:Thor Freudenthal
    Writing:Lois Duncan (Original Material By), Jeff Lowell (Screenwriter), Bob Schooley (Screenwriter), Mark McCorkle (Screenwriter)
    Length:100 min.
    Video:Widescreen 1.78:1
    Audio:English: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
    Subtitles:English, French, Portuguese, Spanish

Stars:
    Emma Roberts as Andi
    Jake T. Austin as Bruce
    Don Cheadle as Bernie
    Johnny Simmons as Dave
    Kyla Pratt as Heather

Plot:
    Comedy is unleashed in this box office hit that "will have you begging for more." (Pete Hammon, Hollywood.com) When Andi (Emma Roberts) and Bruce (Jake T. Austin) need somewhere to hide their dog. Friday, they transform an abandoned hotel into a place where no stray gets turned away. Loaded with adorable dogs, a team of clever kids and ingenious gadgets, this heartwarming adventure will leave you wondering – who let the dogs in?

Extras:
    • Scene Access
    • Audio Commentary
    • Feature Trailers
    • Deleted Scenes
    • Featurettes
    • Gallery

My Thoughts:

This is a film I seen a couple times before. Sure it's not the greatest movie in the world but It is one I always found fun and entertaining. I felt the cast did a fine job. I especially liked a young Emma Roberts. A film that the whole family can enjoy. Definitely worth the time put in to watch it.

Rating:
    Pete