Author Topic: Sony's Toho Godzilla Collection  (Read 2767 times)

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Sony's Toho Godzilla Collection
« on: May 08, 2014, 07:37:30 PM »
I got a promo e-mail from Sony for their Toho Godzilla 60th Anniversary Collection. Pity it seems to be US only but there are apparently 4 Blu-rays each with 2 films on them.

E-mail image page here

I seem to recall that someone on here was into these but I can't find any supporting links, not that I've tried that hard.

Edited to remove e-mail link as it was a full copy of the e-mail I received including my e-mail address rather than a link to the details or generic copy.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 07:51:53 PM by dfmorgan »
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Sony's Toho Godzilla Collection
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 11:45:28 PM »
Are you infering that there is someone on here that doesn't like Godzilla?  :o
(And I'm not talking about Emmerich's abomination)

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 12:22:31 AM »
Are you infering that there is someone on here that doesn't like Godzilla?  :o

No way would I do that ;) Wish I could have found a link to the actual product Sony e-mailed me about. Just found this http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2014/05/07/sony-toho-godzilla-collection-blu-ray-now-on-sale/
and this http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/74680/sony-bringing-several-godzilla-double-feature-blu-rays-may#axzz319ifJYTJ
(And I'm not talking about Emmerich's abomination)

I actually liked that in a strange kinda way  :bag:
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 12:25:19 AM by dfmorgan »
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 12:28:34 AM »
I enjoyed Emmerich's abomination too.  except for Ferris Bueller (never been a big fan of his), his horrible girlfriend and the camera man character. ... Oh and most of the story line.  But other than that i quite enjoyed the monster. 

It did have Jean Reno to that is two things i really liked .. Jean Reno and the Godzilla
Thank you
David

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 12:45:19 AM »
except for Ferris Bueller (never been a big fan of his)

In this case check out The Road to Wellville.
One of the few occasions when Mr. Broderick shines.

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 03:32:55 AM »
I would have liked Emmerich's film a lot better if he hadn't pretended that the lizard thing was Godzilla. No effin' way!

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 08:43:32 PM »
except for Ferris Bueller (never been a big fan of his)

In this case check out The Road to Wellville.
One of the few occasions when Mr. Broderick shines.
Yeah .. saw that and it wasn't bad.  He has had his close moments.  He wasn't bad in Family Business, The Freshman, Addicted to Love and a couple of others.  It is just that I don't expect much from him and sometimes am disappointed with that :).  Nothing that an enema can't take care of :)
Thank you
David

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 11:23:39 AM »
I just saw several of these announced at blu-ray.com (link).

So I started wondering, again, if there is any way to say which of those sequel thingies (I have the original) would be best to get started with. One of the ones just announced, maybe Destroy All Monsters (as they are apparently nearly all in there) or maybe yet another.

I am aware that we are not talking about "good" movies here. I am looking for one with the most/best monster action that is simply fun to watch...

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 05:47:42 PM »
The Godzilla movies are so different that it's hard to make recommendations.

First of all, you should know that they are divided into three series:
Showa (1954 – 1975), Heisei (1984 – 1995) and Milennium (1999 – 2004).

The Showa series starts out fine, but tends to become more kiddie oriented as time goes by. The Heisei series starts with Return of Godzilla (aka Godzilla 1985) which is a sequel to the 1954 Godzilla, ignoring the rest of the Showa series. Then the Milennium series does pretty much the same thing.

The important thing, in my opinion, is that if you chose one from the Showa series, don't chose one directed by Jun Fukuda. Chose one directed by Ishiro Honda.

Destroy All Monsters is fun, but I felt that it was a bit of “throw everything in” at the expense of the story. My favorite besides the original is Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964). Note though that Mothra returns to battle Godzilla in 1992's Godzilla vs. Mothra (aka Godzilla and Mothra: The Battle for Earth).

Also, don't forget that there are some fun non-Godzilla kaijus from Toho, like Mothra or Rodan, or why not Frankenstein Conquers the World. They may not be available on blu-ray yet, though.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 05:49:24 PM by GSyren »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 06:20:43 AM »
I only have the faintest of memories watching some of these as a child; probably some of those from the Showa series.

From what you wrote, I might want to go for Destroy All Monsters for the fun factor and then Mothra vs. Godzilla, seeing that I remember Mothra and from what I have read it seems to be a fan-favorite...

Thanks.