Author Topic: Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon  (Read 38773 times)

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2014, 03:46:09 AM »

Hotel Transylvania

I reviewed this film last year - click here.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2014, 08:46:28 PM »
Yesterday I watched...

But reviewed it recently so won't do so again here.

Scorecard:
TV Eps: 23
Movies: 16
Pete

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2014, 05:27:42 PM »

Vault of Horror
Year of Release: 1973
Directed By: Roy Ward Baker
Starring: Daniel Massey, Terry Thomas, Curt Jurgens, Michael Craig, Tom Baker
Genre: Horror

Overview:
Get ready for to descend into the darkness of horror!  In this "frequently macabre and eerily funny" (Cue) collection of tales, five unsuspecting hotel guests step out of an elevator into a vault deep underground.  Trapped with no way out, each guest shares a gruesome story of an encounter with death.  But as the stories unfold, the men begin to suspect that their presence in the vault is no coincidence, and they may have already found that the only way out...is death!

My Thoughts
This is a decent low-budget 70's portmanteau horror film.  I found all of the performances solid, but not truly outstanding.  Tom Baker's, I thought, was the best, and the only one with any kind of dimension to it.  All of the other main characters I found to be unsympathetic an one-note.  Perhaps this is the result of the short run time of each of the stories limiting how much they could develop.  The first tale, "Midnight Mess" and the fourth, "Bargain in Death," I found to be the weakest of the lot.  "The Neat Job" had a good portrayal of the dilemma of the housewife with no outside job.  "This Trick'll Kill You" had a really good story, but the low-budget special effects made the climax more laughable than horrific - they really shouldn't have tried to show so much, but gone with more implication in that scene.  Finally, the last story, "Drawn and Quartered," which was Baker's story, was the best of the lot, and the effects here I thought were handled better.  Overall, not a bad film, not a bad watch if you like this sort of thing, but I've seen better and enjoyed other films more.

Bechdel Test: Fail

Overall: 2.75/5
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2014, 05:04:07 PM »
I got behind on writing my reviews... I have 3 reviews to write for things I have watched. 1 TV show and 2 movies.
Pete

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2014, 09:55:40 PM »

Körkarlen (The Phantom Carriage)
Year of Release: 1921
Directed By: Victor Sjöström
Starring: Victor Sjöström, Hilda Borgström, Tore Svennberg, Astrid Holm
Genre: Drama, Horror

Overview:
The last person to die on New Year's Eve before the clock strikes twelve is doomed to take the reins of Death's chariot and work tirelessly collecting fresh souls for the next year. So says the legend that drives The Phantom Carriage (Körkarlen), directed by the father of Swedish cinema, Victor Sjöström. The story, based on a novel by Nobel Prize winner Selma Lagerlöf, concerns an alcoholic, abusive ne'er-do-well (Sjöström himself) who is shown the error of his ways, and the pure-of-heart Salvation Army sister who believes in his redemption. This extraordinarily rich and innovative silent classic (which inspired Ingmar Bergman to make movies) is a Dickensian ghost story and a deeply moving morality tale, as well as a showcase for groundbreaking special effects.

My Thoughts:
This is an excellent film. It's a grim subject - basically, how one man destroys his life and the lives of those around him. Yet, even though this man is really, a terrible human being, he doesn't come off as completely unlikable. This can be laid at the feet of Sjöström's excellent portrayal. He is also directing, and does an excellent job there too.

The standout scenes are those with Death's carriage. The Phantom Carriage becomes an actual phantom on the screen due to skillful double exposure techniques, and it truly appears ghostly and otherworldly. The cinematography is fabulous.

This is one of the best silent films I've seen, and I'd highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys intelligent, discerning cinema.

However, unlike what it was marked in Profiler - this is more melodrama than horror.

Overall: 4/5
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2014, 11:41:07 AM »
As I said... got behind on writing reviews so instead of writing full reviews let me play catch up like this...

TV Eps:
The Walking Dead: Season 5 Ep. 1
The Walking Dead: Season 5 Ep. 2

Movies:
The Haunting in Connecticut
Vault of Horrors

Scorecard:
TV Eps: 25
Movies: 18

As you can see I have fallen a little behind on movies... and I really been enjoying the new season of The Walking Dead! :D
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2014, 05:49:03 PM »
     The Haunting in Connecticut 2: Ghosts of Georgia (2013/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Lionsgate
Director:Tom Elkins
Writing:David Coggeshall (Writer)
Length:101 min.
Rating:Rated R : Some Disturbing Horror Content
Video:Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Abigail Spencer as Lisa Wyrick
Morgana Shaw as Lisa's Mother
Emily Alyn Lind as Heidi Wyrick
Chad Michael Murray as Andy Wyrick
Grant James as Mr. Gordy
Katee Sackhoff as Joyce

Plot:
Building on the terror of The Haunting in Connecticut, this horrifying tale traces a young family's nightmarish descent into a centuries-old Southern hell. When Andy Wyrick (Chad Michael Murray, House of Wax) moves his wife Lisa (Abigail Spencer, TV's "Mad Men") and daughter Heidi to a historic home in Georgia, they quickly discover they are not the house's only inhabitants. Joined by Lisa's free-spirited sister, Joyce (Katee Sackhoff, TV's "Battlestar Galactica"), the family soon comes face-to-face with a bone-chilling mystery born of a deranged desire... a haunting secret rising from underground and threatening to bring down anyone in its path.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:
Just finished this one... and I must say.. enjoyed it quite a bit. It has a good storylne and likable characters... even if they did make the sister-in-law a little on the weird side. This film easily kept my attention through-out. It shows that there is good and evil in everyone. The movie is well worth the time put in to watch it. Recommended.

My Rating:

Scorecard:
Movies: 19
Pete

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2014, 02:24:47 PM »

Dr. Jeckyll & Mr. Hyde
Year of Release: 1920
Directed By: John S. Robertson
Starring: John Barrymore, Charles Lane, George Stevens, Brandon Hurst

Overview:
The fifth American screen version, many regard this as the greatest of all adaptations of Stevenson's classic tale with Barrymore's performance being one of cinema's finest (equally as many regard his performance as excessive and place the 1932 version, with Frederic March, above it). Though it is often claimed that Barrymore used no make up for his transformation scenes this not strictly true. The first change from Jekyll to Hyde was achieved by the actor dislocating his jaw and contorting his facial features but thereafter makeup was used.

My Thoughts:
This is a very good film, held up almost entirely by Barrymore's excellent, chilling portrayal.  His Jeckyll is suitably altruistic in the beginning and conflicted, troubled, remorseful - but unable to cease giving in - after his transformation.  Barrymore's Hyde, meanwhile, is as menacing, distasteful and evil as one can imagine - yet still a charismatic character when he wants to be.  It's a fabulous performance, and one can easily see why Barrymore was one of the most celebrated actors of his day.

The rest of the film is up to snuff, if not as excellent as Barrymore.  The script is relatively tight and moves quickly, and the supporting cast are fine in their roles.  If the acting styles seem a bit broad, a bit over-the-top, or the makeup seems, maybe, more than a bit heavy, one must consider that this film was released in 1920, and as a silent film has different conventions than modern film making.  Silent films owe much more to stage productions, where such things are the norm.

Worth watching - both for its own merits and as a classic piece of silent film.  Recommended.

Overall: 3.5/5
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2014, 06:16:30 AM »
John Barrymore is Drew's grandfather or great grandfather or such, I think... (not that that makes him a better actor, or her).

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2014, 02:18:24 PM »

The Call of Cthulhu
Year of Release: 2005
Directed By: Andrew Leman
Starring: Matt Foyer, John Bolen, Ralph Lucas, Chad Fifer

Overview:
Written in 1926, just before the advent of "talking" pictures, The Call of Cthulhu is one of the most famous and influential tales of H. P. Lovecraft, the father of gothic horror. Now the story is brought richly to life in the style of a classic 1920s silent movie, with a haunting original symphonic score. Using the "Mythoscope" process ~ a mix of modern and vintage techniques ~ the filmmakers have worked to create the most authentic and faithful screen adaptation of a Lovecraft story yet attempted.

My Thoughts:
This is a modern film, made in the style of an old-fashioned silent film.  When this turned up at the store, I knew I had to have it. I adore Lovecraft, and this very short film (47 minutes!) is as authentic an adaptation of this story as will every be done. This is an ultra-low-budget picture, so don't expect high-tech effects, but the performances are solid and the film is eerie and altogether delightful. Recommended.

Overall: 3.5/5
-- Thorin Oakenshield

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2014, 07:18:03 AM »
John Barrymore is Drew's grandfather or great grandfather or such, I think... (not that that makes him a better actor, or her).
Her dad was a john jr.  Her 'grand' family were the siblings .. Lionel, Ethel and John.  Pretty sweet acting stock.
Thank you
David

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2014, 02:28:53 AM »
     The Call of Cthulhu (2005/United States)
The H.P. Lovecraft Historical Society
Director:Andrew Leman
Writing:H. P. Lovecraft (Original Material By), Sean Branney (Screenwriter)
Length:47 min.
Rating:NR
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:Music Only: PCM: 2-Channel Stereo, Music Only: PCM: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:Croatian, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish, Other

Stars:
Matt Foyer as The Man
John Bolen as The Listener
Ralph Lucas as Professor Angell
Chad Fifer as Henry Wilcox
Susan Zucker as Landlady
Kalafatic Poole as Bartender

Plot:
Written in 1926, just before the advent of "talking" pictures, The Call of Cthulhu is one of the most famous and influential tales of H. P. Lovecraft, the father of gothic horror. Now the story is brought richly to life in the style of a classic 1920s silent movie, with a haunting original symphonic score. Using the "Mythoscope" process ~ a mix of modern and vintage techniques ~ the filmmakers have worked to create the most authentic and faithful screen adaptation of a Lovecraft story yet attempted.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • DVD-ROM Content

My Thoughts:
I basically found this one to be more on the weird side. But to be fair I really should give it another chance as I did have to get up and miss some of it. Between that and having a bit of trouble keeping up with the subtitles... so needless to say I wasn't able to take it all in. But there I did get to see some pretty good scenes in with what I found to just be weird. Though I do think it is worth giving another chance and hopefully that would raise my rating a bit.

My Rating:

Scorecard:
Movies: 20
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2014, 03:14:48 AM »
     Orphan: Special Edition (2009/United States)
Warner Home Video
Director:Jaume Collet-Serra
Writing:David Leslie Johnson (Screenwriter), Alex Mace (Story By)
Length:123 min.
Rating:Rated R : Disturbing Violent Content, Some Sexuality and Language
Video:Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Vera Farmiga as Kate
Peter Sarsgaard as John
Isabelle Fuhrman as Esther
CCH Pounder as Sister Abigail
Jimmy Bennett as Daniel
Margo Martindale as Dr. Browning

Plot:
From Dark Castle Productions comes the tale of the seemingly angelic Esther who is not what she appears to be, bringing stunning new twists to the psychological thriller and locking audiences in a tightening vise of mystery, suspicion and terror.

Extras:
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • BD-Live
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:
This one I enjoyed quite a bit. It has a good story and like most the characters. It could be better... as it doesn't answer all questions but it does have a good surprise ending. This sis one that is worth the time put in to watch it. Recommended.

My Rating:

Scorecard:
Movies: 21
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2014, 06:16:36 PM »
     The Rocky Horror Picture Show: 35th Anniversary (1975/United States)
IMDb |Trailer |
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, Houtsnede Maatschappij
Director:Jim Sharman
Writing:Richard O'Brien (1942) (Original Material By), Jim Sharman (Screenwriter), Richard O'Brien (1942) (Screenwriter)
Length:100 min.
Rating:R
Video:Widescreen 1.66:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 7.1, English: Dolby Digital: Mono, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Polish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Icelandic, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish

Stars:
Tim Curry (1946) as Dr. Frank-N-Furter
Susan Sarandon as Janet Weiss
Barry Bostwick as Brad Majors
Richard O'Brien (1942) as Riff Raff
Patricia Quinn as Magenta
Nell Campbell [Little Nell] as Columbia

Plot:
You asked for The Rocky Horror Picture Show on Blu-ray and you shall receive it... in abundance!

Recreate the Midnight Movie Experience in your living room and celebrate 35 years of absolute pleasure with this picture-perfect specimen of Richard O’Brien’s cosmic cult classic starring Tim Curry, Barry Bostwick and Susan Sarandon.

It’s brimming with twisted humor, mind-blowing music and decedent extras.

So come up to the lab...
See what’s on the slab...

And Let The Film Begin!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Music Videos
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • Picture-in-picture
  • BD-Live
  • 26-Page Booklet, U.S. & U.K. Versions, Rocky-oke

My Thoughts:
Anyone that knows me knows that this is not my kind of movie. But I made a deal with a friend that if she watched a movie of my choosing I would watch this one. And I keep my bargains so...

Wow... what to say about this one? To say it was pure torture doesn't seem like enough. If I never see this film agan it will be too soon. The whole time watching this film all I could think is how does Tim Curry and Susan Sarandon feel about doing this film now that they are much more famous. That being said... I will give this one a one star rating. Mainly because I can see how someone would enjoy making fun of this film. There is some things to laugh at here. But think that is the best I can say about this one.

My Rating:

Scorecard:
Movies: 22
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2014, 07:05:32 PM »
    Children of the Corn: 25th Anniversary Edition (1984/United States)
Wikipedia |IMDb |Trailer |
Anchor Bay Entertainment
Director:Fritz Kiersch
Writing:Stephen King (1947) (Original Material By), George Goldsmith (Screenwriter)
Length:92 min.
Rating:R
Video:Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, Spanish, Trivia

Stars:
Peter Horton as Burt
Linda Hamilton as Vicky
R. G. Armstrong [R.G. Armstrong] as Diehl
John Franklin (1959) as Isaac
Courtney Gains as Malachai
Robby Kiger as Job

Plot:
Twenty-five years after its original release, it remains one of the top shockers of the '80s and perhaps the most popular Stephen King story adaptation ever. Something is alive in the cornfields of desolate Gatlin, Nebraska, and the town's children will do anything to protect its horrific secret. But when a traveling couple (Peter Horton of thirtysomething and pre-TERMINATOR Linda Hamilton) are taken prisoner by the killer kid cult, their battle for survival will unleash the most unholy sacrifice of all. The day that Isaac, Malachai, He Who Walks Behind the Rows and millions of CoTC fans have been waiting for has finally arrived: The original CHILDREN OF THE CORN is back, now in Blu-ray and loaded with exclusive new Bonus Features!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Interviews
  • BD-Live

My Thoughts:
This is one of my favorite '80s horror. Of course I am a big fan of Stephen King anyway. I found the all kids cult to be an interesting storyline... and some of the killings, especially in the beginning was done well. Over-all a really enjoyable movie... even if some of the acting could have been better.

My Rating:

Scorecard:
Movies: 23
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 07:07:30 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete