Author Topic: I'm tired of...  (Read 5091 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: I'm tired of...
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2014, 05:23:04 AM »
I'm tired of finding great stuff in the deleted scenes sections of a DVD.  And by this, I mean the sacrifice of character development for action scenes.  I love comics, flipping love them, have a few thousand in my collection, but even the really good comic movies have done this.  And thing is, the actual comics are generally really great about character development.  They kind of have to be, since what drives them is the attachment of the reader to the character. 

Worst offender I've seen this year: The Incredible Hulk (yes, I know it's several years old, but I only saw it this year).  Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the film.  I had fun watching it, even if it seemed a bit action-heavy when we were watching.  But then we got to the deleted scenes and there was so much great stuff of Bruce Banner and character stuff and development and interaction, and I was like, shit, they could have totally cropped some of those fight scenes down to include that.  It would have given the film so much more depth and complexity to the characters. 

That is annoying when good stuff gets cut to make way for more mindless action.  Not that I mind action at times..but after a certain point, enough is enough.  Or when a book is adapted and important bits of character development are tossed - which would only take a few minutes to include - in favor of adding in stupid crap that never happened in the book...or to extend an action scene even longer.