Author Topic: Monday Mini-Thon: Blu-Day  (Read 5703 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Monday Mini-Thon: Blu-Day
« on: April 07, 2014, 04:39:51 AM »
Monday Mini-Thon
Blu-Day
I am off from work tomorrow. The first day off after a 7 day stretch... and I plan on doing nothing all day long but veg out in front of the TV watching movies. I have gotten quite a few Blu-Ray discs lately... so thought I would work on getting some of them watched. Some of the films I have seen before... just never on Blu-ray. See below some of the films I have to choose from...

I would like to be able to fit in between 5 and 6 movies in...though that might be biting off more then I can chew. Either way.... any here that you consider must see that you would recommend me watching tomorrow? I hope to start right after breakfast tomorrow morning. And to Danae Cassandra... in case you see this... I haven't forgotten that Monday is Star Trek night... I hoping to be done with this before that time. :P
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Monday Mini-Thon: Blu-Day
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 06:10:20 AM »
My suggestions are:
Carrie
Zombie Night
Zookeeper
Repo Men

For reasons that should be obvious I did not suggest Star Trek Into Darkness.

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 11:21:42 AM »
I would go for Sin City or The Lost Boys.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 03:09:16 PM »
     Green Lantern: Extended Cut (2011/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Warner Bros. Entertainment, Warner Home Video
Director:Martin Campbell
Writing:Greg Berlanti (Screenwriter), Michael Green (Screenwriter), Marc Guggenheim (Screenwriter), Michael Goldenberg (Screenwriter), Greg Berlanti (Story By), Michael Green (Story By), Marc Guggenheim (Story By)
Length:124 min.
Rating:Unrated
Video:Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan/Green Lantern
Blake Lively as Carol Ferris
Peter Sarsgaard as Hector Hammond
Mark Strong as Sinestro
Tim Robbins as Hammond
Jay O. Sanders as Carl Ferris

Plot:
Experience the action as it was meant to be seen as Green Lantern takes flight in full HD! In a universe as vast as it is mysterious, an elite force of protectors for peace and justice has existed for centuries. They are the GREEN LANTERN CORPS. When a new enemy called PARALLAX threatens to destroy the universe, their fate and the fate of Earth lie in the hands of the Corps' newest recruit, the first human ever selected: HAL JORDAN (Ryan Reynolds).

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Picture-in-picture
  • BD-Live
  • Digital Copy
  • Theatrical and Extended Cuts
  • Maximum Movie Mode

My Thoughts:
I actually started this film a day or two ago... but didn't get the chance to finish it at the time. I have read some less then favorable reviews for this film... as well as seen it made fun of on shows such as The Big Bang Theory. But I always liked this film. But that could have something to do with the fact that I have been a fan of Ryan Reynolds. And I thought he was a good choice to play Hal Jordan/Green Lantern, I also liked how they did the others in the Green Lantern Corp. This is something like the 3rd time I watched it since it was released... and I found I enjoyed it just as much this time as I did on previous viewings.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 05:39:08 PM »
     Zombie Night: Unrated Version (2013/United States)
The Asylum Home Entertainment
Director:John Gulager
Writing:Richard Schenkman (Story By), Keith Allan (Writer), Delondra Williams (Writer)
Length:88 min.
Rating:Unrated
Video:Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1
Subtitles:None

Stars:
Anthony Michael Hall as Patrick
Daryl Hannah as Birdy
Alan Ruck as Joseph
Rachel G. Fox as Tracie Jackson
Shirley Jones as Nana
Jennifer Taylor as Karin

Plot:
As night falls in a small California town, the dead rise from its graves, mausoleums, and morgues. The townspeople must fight to survive until sunrise.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Outtakes/Bloopers

My Thoughts:
This is actually a TV movie that originally aired this past year on the SyFy Channel. The first thing I notice is... Damn! there is a lot of trailers you have to get through before you can even get to the main menu! I don't mind trailers before the menu,,, but they shouldn't disable the menu button to easily bypass them if you choose to do so. It did allow you to hit next to skip the currently playing trialer... but that was it... and you couldn't skip the final trailer at all.

As for the movie itself... being a SyFy Original Film... I went into it with lowered expectations... as some of their movies can be rather cheesy. And it was probably a good thing I did so... I must say.. after finally finishing off the latest season of The Walking Dead... this one is a bit of a let down when it comes to zombie fun. I won't go so far to say this is a bad movie... but there isn't much here that I haven't seen elsewhere before... and the zombies themselves need a bit of work. Basically the best I can give this is an average film. I could see myself watching it again so will keep it in my collection. Though it isn't one I would watch often.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 07:31:53 PM »
     The Lost Boys (1987/United States)
Warner Home Video
Director:Joel Schumacher
Writing:Janice Fischer (Story By), James Jeremias (Story By), Janice Fischer (Screenwriter), James Jeremias (Screenwriter), Jeffrey Boam (Screenwriter)
Length:97 min.
Rating:R
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, German: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Italian: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish

Stars:
Jason Patric as Michael
Corey Haim as Sam
Dianne Wiest as Lucy
Barnard Hughes as Grandpa
Edward Herrmann [Ed Herrmann] as Max
Kiefer Sutherland as David

Plot:
Sam and his older brother Michael are average, everyday teens. But after they move with their mother to peaceful Santa Clara, California, things mysteriously begin to change. Michael's not himself lately. And Mom's not going to like what he's turning into.

The Lost Boys reshapes vampire tradition, deftly mixing heart-pounding terror, rib-tickling laughs and a body-gyrating rock soundtrack. Under Joel Schumacher's direction, a marvelous cast – Jason Patric, Jami Gertz, Kiefer Sutherland, Corey Feldman, Corey Haim, Barnard Hughes, Edward Herrmann and Dianne Wiest – stakes you to gleefully ghoulish entertainment.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Interactive Games
  • Multi-angle
  • Music Videos

My Thoughts:
This is one I actually upgraded from the DVD... as it is one of my favorite vampire films. It is one I have seen countless times...one that I never tire of. This movie is the first thing I ever seen Keifer Sutherland in... and I think he did an awesome job in it. I also think Jason Patric did a great job as Michael. and I definitely couldn't help but to enjoy the Old Fart (Grandpa)... I just get such a kick out of him and all the stuffed animals he gave to Sam. Definitely one I would highly recommend to any horror fan... especially vampire fans. Though I do believe most all horror fans probably seen this one by now!

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 10:03:27 PM »
     Spider-Man 2 (2004/United States)
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
Director:Sam Raimi
Writing:Stan Lee (1922) (Original Characters By), Steve Ditko (Original Characters By), Alfred Gough (Story By), Miles Millar (Story By), Michael Chabon (Story By), Alvin Sargent (Screenwriter)
Length:136 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Stylized Action Violence
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:English, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Commentary

Stars:
Tobey Maguire as Spider-Man/Peter Parker
Kirsten Dunst as Mary Jane Watson
James Franco as Harry Osborn
Alfred Molina as Doc Ock/Dr. Otto Octavius
Rosemary Harris as May Parker
J. K. Simmons [J.K. Simmons] as J. Jonah Jameson

Plot:
Two years have passed since the mild-mannered Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire) walked away from his longtime love Mary Jane Watson (Kirsten Dunst) and decided to take the road to responsibility as Spider-Man. Peter must face new challenges as he struggles to cope with "the gift and the curse" of his powers while balancing his dual identities as the elusive superhero Spider-Man and life as a college student. The relationships Peter holds most dear are now in danger of unraveling as he clashes with the powerful, multi-tentacled villain Doctor Octopus aka "Doc Ock" (Alfred Molina).

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Outtakes/Bloopers
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:
Even though I still enjoyed this movie very much... I never cared for it as much as the first one.... almost... but not as much. I don't like the whole storyline of Peter Parker loosing his ability for a while. I don't like that so many people got to see Spider-Man without his mask on... which is something that I hate about all the Spider-Man movies. The only person that I can accept seeing him without his mask is Mary Jane. To me that felt right. But Doc Ock, Harry and the train full of people shouldn't have happened. Well maybe Harry as it was really needed for the storyline. But that is it. Even though they never said it in the movie... you also get the feeling that Aunt May also knows about Peter being Spider-Man. I did however really enjoy seeing him go up against Doc Ock. I thought they did a good job with him.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 12:09:38 AM »
Glad to see that you like The Lost Boys. That's from a time when vampire stories still felt fresh.
Twenty years BT (Before Twilight).

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 12:11:27 AM »
LOL... I liked that one... thanks for the laugh.  :laugh:
Pete

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 12:27:37 AM »
Probably a bit late to the "Recommendation-Party",
but if it isn't too late yet avoid:
- Legion
- Priest
- Zookeeper
- Blue Crush

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 12:43:30 AM »
Really? Finishing the last one for today... didn't go with any of those... but a bit disappointed. I just got a couple of them. At least I got them used for cheap.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 12:51:10 AM »
     Spider-Man 3 (2007/United States)
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
Director:Sam Raimi
Writing:Stan Lee (1922) (Original Material By), Steve Ditko (Original Material By), Sam Raimi (Story By), Ivan Raimi (Story By), Sam Raimi (Screenwriter), Ivan Raimi (Screenwriter), Alvin Sargent (Screenwriter)
Length:139 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Sequences of Intense Action Violence
Audio:English: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1, English: PCM: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Thai: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:Chinese, English, French, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai, Commentary

Stars:
Tobey Maguire as Spider-Man/Peter Parker
Kirsten Dunst as Mary Jane Watson
James Franco as New Goblin/Harry Osborn
Thomas Haden Church as Sandman/Flint Marko
Topher Grace as Venom/Eddie Brock
Bryce Dallas Howard as Gwen Stacy

Plot:
Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire) finally has the girl of his dreams, Mary Jane Watson (Kirsten Dunst), and New York City is in the throes of Spider-mania! But when a strange alien symbiote turns Spider-Man's suit black, his darkest demons come to light - changing Spider-Man inside as well as out. Spider-Man is in for the fight of his life against a lethal mix of villains - the deadly Sandman (Thomas Haden Church), Venom (Topher Grace), and the New Goblin (James Franco) - as well as the enemy within himself.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Gallery
  • Music Videos
  • Outtakes/Bloopers

My Thoughts:
As big of a Spider-Man fan as I am... this is a bit difficult for me to say. But the franchise took a bit of a nose-dive for me with this movie. I mean it is still a decent movie... but it just had so much more potential. Maybe if they didn't try to cram so much into it. I mean they had no less then 3 supervillians in this one movie. Maybe if they concentrated on just one or no more then two at once they would have been able to make it better. And how they handled his... what would you call it? I guess for the lack of a better term... possession that Peter went through with Venom. It just didn't work for me. It seemed to make Peter more idiotic then so much aggressive. What was up with all that stupid dancing? Dancing down the street. Some stupid dance show in that club MJ was singing in... It just didn't fit for me. With all that said... it is still Spider-Man... it is still loaded with action... it still looked incredible.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 01:04:25 AM »
OK.... 5 movies... not bad. My Monday Mini-Thon is officially over.
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2014, 04:03:46 AM »
BT....Before Twilight.  I must remember that.   :laugh: