Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: Unwatched DVD Collection  (Read 18975 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: Unwatched DVD Collection
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2008, 10:55:45 PM »
 :laugh: Thats ok... if everyone liked all the same movies... this would be a very boring place!  :P
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2008, 11:06:55 PM »
Maybe it's your method Pete that did that : you don't seem to have any expectation for a movie before watching it (that's the only explication that I can find for "Superman 3"). Its the same for me when I watch an older movie like the majority of the one that I reviewed, most of the time my deception are with the new one (The Lost, The Mist,...) maybe because of the hype.

But I don't understand why you don't like Lady Frankenstein, since this is a  ;D movie for me. A new dvd is suppose to be release this year (zone 2 I think) with all the cut replace in the movie, it will certainly make the film better. It's been a while since I've watch it, but a lot of thing are missing and the end cut very abrutly.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2008, 12:50:29 AM »
Yeah... I do believe that your state of mind when going into a movie definitely effects how much you enjoy a movie. I believe if you can go into a movie without any preconceptions what so ever you are more likely to enjoy a movie.

Here is what I TRY to do before watching any movie....

1. Go into it without any preconceptions... if you expect nothing you are much less likely to be disappointed.
2. Suspend all disbelief... When I watch a movie I look at it as a movie is taking place in an all together different universe of sorts. A place where anything is possible. So if I see something that looks impossible... in my mind it is impossible here.. but not where this movie is taking place.
3. Watch a movie for what it is... no more and no less. Not compare it to other movies or even to earlier versions or if a sequel to earlier parts.

Of course at times this is easier said then done. But most of the time it works for me. As you can probably tell as I do tend to enjoy more movies then I don't. Some of which I am sure surprises some of you.  :P
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2008, 02:21:43 AM »
I agree with you, Pete, all the way up to point 3. I cannot forgive those who disregard what went before. The only thing I insist on in any film is integrity and logic; respect for the story, the characters and the rules of whatever universe they happen to live in. By part 4 of the Omen films, all that had been lost. It was a soulless cash-in and I find that offensive. Part 3 wasn't good, but they were trying to do something interesting to round out the story. But part 4? The most they could come up with was "Let's make it a girl" and they ignored all what went before.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2008, 02:08:00 PM »
Well I didn't mean storyline wise... I agree that the storyline of the series should not be messed with. What I basically meant with my #3 is if I watch a movie and really enjoy it... then part 2 comes out and I hate it... if there is a part 3 I will give part 3 just as much of a chance as I did part 1 and 2... not dismiss it because part 2 was bad. A Nightmare on Elm Street comes to mind in this subject... my least favorite of all of them is part 2.... but yet I really enjoyed part 3 on up. If I would have thought well part 2 was bad.... it will only get worse I would not of gotten to enjoy the many to follow.

As for The Omen 4... yes it was a stretch but I do see it just as much of a continuation as I do a retelling.

Here is how...
(click to show/hide)

Now... like in part 3... with part 4 they tried something new. Most people despised it... ok so I am on of the probably very few that enjoyed it. Personally I enjoyed it more then what they tried with part 3... but I guess that just goes by my tastes... I always disliked (in all the omen movies) the political aspect of the films... as I am not a political minded person in any way. In part 4 they downplayed the politics and concentrated more on the girl. That made it more enjoyable for me. So looking at it that way it makes sense that I enjoyed part 4 in this case.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2008, 02:28:56 PM »

Robot Monster
Starring George Nader, Claudia Barrett, Selena Royle, John Mylong, Gregory Moffett, Pamela Paulson, George Barrows. Screenplay by Wyatt Ordung. Special effects by Jack Robin and David Commons. Music by Emma Bernstein. Produced by Al Zimbalist. Co-produced and Directed by Phil Tucker.

Ro-Man, a sex-starved robot monster (dressed in a gorilla suit and diving helmet) has destroyed all of humanity with the exception of a small band of survivors. It's up to these last brave souls to repopulate the human race and destroy the mighty Ro-Man and his commander, The Great Guidance.

If Ed Wood's PLAN NINE FROM OUTER SPACE speaks to you, Phil Tucker's Golden Turkey Award-winning film will scream. Scored by the legendary Acadamy Award winning composer Elmer Bernstein (maybe his finest score other then CAT-WOMEN OF THE MOON) and photographed on-location at scenic Bronson Canyon, ROBOT MONSTER leaves it's residue in the Hollywood Hall of Fame. Exciting 2-Dimensions. No special glasses needed!

My Thoughts:
OK... first let me say I did not pay much at all for this movie... if it cost anything much I would have left it sitting right there. But all I paid was a measly 10ยข... That's right... just one thin dime. going by the cover I would not of spent more then a dollar for this disc... and then I think I would of had to think about it. Looking at this one's cover I saw Low budget and cheesy. And I was not wrong about it... but all the same the storyline was a bit enjoyable... far from what I would call a favorite... and no more then a fair movie... but it is one of those ones that you can enjoy making fun of when watching with a group of people. So that right there gives it some value. And with the price I paid I certainly can't complain. Watching this movie actually makes me want to throw a movie watching party just so we can sit there and laugh at this movie before watching the real movies.  :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2008, 04:55:18 PM »

The Dentist 2: Brace Yourself
Years ago demented dentist Dr.Alan Feinstone (Corbin Bernsen) was sentenced to spend his life in a maximum security mental hospital. Now, he's escaped and determined to practice -AGAIN. Resettling in the tiny farm town of Paradise, the good doctor conveniently disposes of the local dentist and he's open for business! within moments of wielding a scalpel on his first patient, he is transformed into his former deranged self. The more patients Alan sees, the more brutal his cleaning techniques become. When a few residents suspect something peculiar about the town's new dentist, Alan vows to treat them all before they drill up his chilling past.

My Thoughts:
Every since I heard of the first Dentist movie coming out I thought it was a good idea as it plays on a lot of people's fear of dentists. Even though I never had that fear myself I did enjoy the first movie. I have had the sequel for a couple years now... it was a birthday gift and was looking forward to seeing it... but for some reason kept getting pushed back on my "To Watch" list.  Now that I have watched it I can say I did enjoy it... is a decent sequel. But I did enjoy the first one much more then this one. Unfortunately even though this was a decent sequel... the ending kinda ruined it for me... as it had a ridiculous (for the story told) ending. This is a decent DVD release.. nothing to special but nothing bad either. The only extras we get is some trailers and bios/filmographies for stars and the director.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2008, 07:20:12 PM »

Scarecrow
Pushed to the edge, lonely teenager Lester finally makes a friend in the Sheriff's daughter Judy. But when he sees her kiss another boy that's the last straw. He pick's a fight with his mom's boyfriend, and Lester is brutally slain and left hanging from a tree.

One year later, Judy discovers that Lester's spirit, trapped in the cornfield's Scarecrow, is wreaking vengeance on the town. Haunting the cornfields, the Scarecrow slices a path of blood thru his former tormentors. As the bodies pile up, Judy fights tooth and nail to destroy the sinister creature before he makes her his next kill.

My Thoughts:
Naturally going into this one I was expecting much of nothing. After all... it is definitely low-budget cheesy horror. The acting leaves a lot to be desired... and I think they may have tried a little hard making it more then what it is. Even though it is not what I would call a really good movie... it did have it's moments. Some decent kills... and they really gave the Scarecrow some character (gave me the impression of a want-to-be Freddy). So I do think this movie series has some potential Just that this first one did not quite live up to that potential. It has 2 sequels... one of which is on this double feature dvd. The other I do not have. So I think I will give the second one (Scarecrow Slayer) a try... and see if there is still enough potential to warrant a purchase of part 3 (Scarecrow Gone Wild).
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2008, 07:39:29 PM »
Scarecrow sounds similar to a TV film my mum told me about years ago. Dark Night of the Scarecrow.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2008, 07:47:21 PM »
hmmmm.... never seen that one... but I would like to. Too bad it isn't on DVD yet.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2008, 09:54:35 PM »

Scarecrow Slayer
When Dave and Karl steal the Scarecrow from Farmer Caleb, Dave is shot and his soul is given new life as the Scarecrow. One by one he dispatches anyone who stands between him and the object of his desire -- Mary, his former girlfriend. The Scarecrow kidnaps Mary, dragging her back to the field to resurrect her soul inside a Scarecrow body. Karl races to the rescue but is killed -- then resurrected as another Scarecrow! Now as the two Scarecrows battle, Mary must stop the creature determined to make her his bride!

My Thoughts:
This is one of the rare instances where the sequel is better then the original movie.  Not a whole lot better... but there is a definite improvement. For the most part the acting is better (except a character here and there).Storyline is a quite a bit better this time around. And I have to wonder if they realized that the Scarecrow was coming off as I put it... A Wannabe Freddy... as they did change his character up some... most notably the fact that he doesn't even talk at all this time around. Even with these improvements the movie still leaves some to be desired. But at least it does give me reason to consider getting the 3rd film in the series (Scarecrow Gone Wild) to what I believe would conclude the series. I also wanted to mention a big plus in this movie was they got one of my favorite genre actors to play Caleb... Tony Todd of Candyman fame.
Pete