Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: 4/11 - 4/13  (Read 9241 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Weekend Movie Marathon: 4/11 - 4/13
« on: April 11, 2008, 06:19:44 PM »
Weekend Movie Marathon
4/11 - 4/13
This weekend I decided not to go with any theme at all... I will just watch whatever I am in the mood for... when the mood hits... no matter the genre, who is in it, or any other factor. So could be a little of anything and everything. This weekend I ended up watching...

Carnival of Souls: The Criterion Collection
Herk Harvey's macabre masterpiece gained a cult following through late night television and has been bootlegged for years. Made by industrial filmmakers on a modest budget, 'Carnival of Souls' was intended to have the "look of a Bergman" and "feel of a Cocteau," and succeeds with its strikingly used locations and spooky organ score. Mary Henry (Candace Hilligoss) survives a drag race in a rural Kansas town, then takes a job as a church organist in Salt Lake City. En route, she becomes haunted by a bizarre apparition that compels her to an abandoned lakeside pavilion. Criterion is proud to present the ultimate special edition of this eerily effective B-movie classic that continues to inspire filmmakers today.

My thoughts:
I have watched this one a couple times before.... is one of my favorite classic horror movies. Before getting this movie recently all I had was a cheap freebie version. So I was looking forward to checking out what Criterion did with it. One thing I liked is that Criterion has both the Theatrical Release as well as the Director's Cut here in this 2-disc set. Since all I ever seen was the Theatrical Release... I thought that this time I would check out the Director's Cut which seems to be about 5 minutes longer. Of course as long as it has been since I seen this movie I unable to point out what was added back in. There definitely was a big improvement to both the audio and video over the freebie version I have. And both discs have a nice collection of extras as well. This is a great release!
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: 4/11 - 4/13
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 06:26:42 PM »
Any comment on the extra? This is one of the Crirerion release that I think of buying, because of the extra since I know that the print quality is way over any public domain release.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 06:53:25 PM »
I have only watched a couple of the minor extras so far... but the breakdown of extras are...

Disc 1:
- The Movie that Wouldn't Die! The Story of Carnival of Souls... A documentary on the 1989 reunion of the cast and crew.
- Outtakes (Deleted Scenes maybe?)... More then 45 minutes of rare outtakes accompanied by Gene Moore's organ score.
- Theatrical Trailer (Watched this... decent picture... but not cleaned up as nicely as the movie itself)
- An Illustrated History of the Saltair resort in Salt Lake City
- The Carnival Tour... A video update on the film's locations (Watched this... basically a what the places look like now... some has changed... some has not.)

Disc 2:
- Selected Audio Commentary... Screenwriter John Clifford and late Director Herk Harvey
- 1 hour of excerpts from films made by the Centron Corporation... An industrial film company based in Lawrence, Kansas that employed Clifford and Harvey for over 30 years.
- An Essay on the History of Centron... from Ken Smith's Mental Hygiene.
- Printed Interviews with Harvey, Clifford and star Candace Hilligoss... illustrated with vintage photos and memorabilia.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 03:33:06 PM »

The Birds
Nothing equals 'THE BIRDS' for sheer terror when Alfred Hitchcock unleashes his foul friends in one of his most shocking and memorable masterpieces. As beautiful blonde Melanie Daniels ('Tippi' Hedren) rolls into Bodega Bay in pursuit of eligible bachelor Mitch Brenner (Rod Taylor), she is inexplicably attacked by a seagull. Suddenly thousands of birds are flocking into town, preying on schoolchildren and residents in a terrifying series of attacks. Soon Mitch and Melanie are fighting for their lives against a deadly force that can't be explained and can't be stopped in one of Hollywood's most horrific films of nature gone berserk.

My thoughts:
This is a really good classic horror... and no... don't worry... I will not be only doing classic horrors this weekend. :P But this is one of the first classic movies I ever watched. Not a bad start into classics. As much as I have enjoyed this movie.... I still find myself asking why the birds started attacking.... sure no reason is really needed but I do wonder. This DVD is done well... really nice quality to the film itself as well as a nice collection of extras to go with it.
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 03:49:28 PM »
I still find myself asking why the birds started attacking.... sure no reason is really needed but I do wonder. This DVD is done well... really nice quality to the film itself as well as a nice collection of extras to go with it.

Didn't they discuss some kind of possible explanation during that scene in the diner at the harbor? It's been a while since I saw it last, but I thought they were discussing possible answers to that question. I believe an older lady was giving the speech... I could be entirely wrong.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 04:16:52 PM »
I may have to go back and rewatch that scene to be sure as Brittany came in running her mouth 3 or 4 times throughout the movie. (kids... gotta love 'em! :P)... but from my memory they discussed basically what kind of birds they were (black bird or crow) in the one scene... and how it would be almost impossible to fight them if all the birds worked together... but I don't remember a cause being talked about at least.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 08:13:23 PM »

Psycho
'Alfred Hitchcock's' masterpiece of the macabre stars 'Anthony Perkins' as the troubled Norman Bates, whose "old dark house" and adjoining motel are not the place to spend a quiet evening. No one knows that better than 'Janet Leigh', the film's ill-fated heroine who is victimized in the now-notorious "shower scene." 'Vera Miles', 'Martin Balsam', 'John Gavin' and 'John McIntire' co-star in Hitchcock's most compelling and terrifying film. Screenplay by Joseph Stefano.

My thoughts:
I know... I said I wouldn't be watching only classic horror movies... but I felt like another Hitchcock movie. Of course this is another great one. This was the first thing I ever seen Anthony Perkins in... and at the moment the only thing I own with him. Though I do want to get the sequels to this movie added to my collection. The DVD both looks and sounds good... and a nice collection of extras as well.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 01:01:58 PM »

Van Helsing
Legendary monster hunter Van Helsing (Hugh Jackman) is summoned to mysterious Transylvania on a mission that will thrust him into a sweeping battle against the forces of darkness! With non-stop action and electrifying special effects, VAN HELSING is an adrenaline-powered motion picture event Roger Ebert calls "Spectacular!"

My thoughts:
Ok... finally getting away from the classics I been watching this weekend. I was looking through my classic Universal Monster movies... and looking on the net to see which ones I was missing. Reading about all the different Wolf Man, Dracula and Frankenstein movies out there got me in the mood to watch a little of it all... but wanting to get away from the classics some. That pointed me to this movie. One I have enjoyed quite a bit. I like the mixture of action and horror. And liked the look they gave the different monsters... well for the most part at least. I think they could have done Frankenstein's Monster better then what they did.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 04:50:30 PM »
I think I am calling it quits early this weekend... as you can see I have not watched many at all and it is already mid-day Sunday. Some reason my heart is just not into watching movies this weekend. The last few I really had to force myself to watch.

Oh well... maybe next weekend will be better.
Pete

RossRoy

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 05:41:51 PM »
Some reason my heart is just not into watching movies this weekend. The last few I really had to force myself to watch.

Oh well... maybe next weekend will be better.

It happens to the best of us. I can sometimes go for a few weeks without feeling like watching a movie. Too many distractions I suppose (games, hockey playoffs, Rock Band, etc.)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 05:45:17 PM »
Gee... wonder if this is anything like not being able to perform sexually... I wouldn't know!  :P
Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2008, 06:05:01 PM »
Gee... wonder if this is anything like not being able to perform sexually... I wouldn't know!  :P
Cos you don't perform at all?

*duck and cover*

:tease:
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2008, 06:08:19 PM »
But I won't watch another SG-1 disc either. For starters I have yet to add them to profiler and determine the runtimes. Secondly it's already 6pm and I am not in the mood the write another disc analysis today (I do it in two languages, you know).

I think, I'll go for something easy, like The 5th Element or Air Force One...
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2008, 06:12:01 PM »
Cos you don't perform at all?

*duck and cover*

:tease:

:giljotiini: :rip:
Unfortunately... you are pretty close on with that one.... been so long now I think I may be a virgin again!  :laugh:
Pete