Author Topic: Doctor Who Marathon  (Read 40126 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: Doctor Who Marathon
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2014, 01:44:59 PM »
Doctor Who
Series 1.06 Dalek
Writer: Robert Shearman (Writer), Terry Nation (Original Characters By)
Director: Joe Ahearne
Cast: Christopher Eccleston (Doctor Who), Billie Piper (Rose Tyler), Steven Beckingham (Polkowski), Corey Johnson (Henry van Statten), Anna-Louise Plowman (Goddard), Bruno Langley (Adam), Nigel Whitmey (Simmons), John Schwab (Bywater), Jana Carpenter (De Maggio), Joe Montana (Commander), Barnaby Edwards (Dalek Operator), Nicholas Briggs (Dalek Voice)

This is the first time that the Daleks appear in the new series. Because I never saw the old series before this, I was always curious how the Daleks can work in a story without them being ridiculous. And I think they did a great job here. I became convinced with this episode, that the Daleks made a good adversary for the doctor. Also Eccleston did a good job showing the hatred the doctor feels for them.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2014, 07:12:05 PM »
Nobody in the mood for the doctor? Karsten, Marie? I didn't have much time for the doctor recently, but maybe I will manage an episode or two today.
What about you, David? You had shown interest in joining this marathon.
And you, Achim?  :tease:

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2014, 10:39:30 PM »
Your right i did but having hard time getting up for it.  Watched the new doctors towards the end of last year so ...
Thank you
David

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2014, 07:43:59 PM »
Doctor Who
Series 1.07 The Long Game
Writer: Russell T Davies (Writer)
Director: Brian Grant
Cast: Christopher Eccleston (Doctor Who), Billie Piper (Rose Tyler), Bruno Langley (Adam), Colin Prockter (Head Chef), Christine Adams (Cathica), Anna Maxwell Martin (Suki), Simon Pegg (The Editor), Tamsin Greig (Nurse), Judy Holt (Adam's Mum)

An okay episode. A fun episode, but nothing really special. But it has Simon Pegg as a guest star, which is a plus.
Nice about this episode is, that it deals with the premise of a misguided companion for the doctor. One who tries to take advantage of the information he gathers from the future. Because of this, it is the first and also the last episode for Adam as a companion to the doctor.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2014, 08:32:08 PM »
Nobody in the mood for the doctor? Karsten, Marie? I didn't have much time for the doctor recently, but maybe I will manage an episode or two today.
What about you, David? You had shown interest in joining this marathon.
And you, Achim?  :tease:

Yeah sorry, I always think about it and then it slips my mind again.  :-[
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2014, 10:37:40 PM »
A crazy reaction shot compilation for a scene in the 50th anniversary special:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2014, 10:11:29 PM »
Series 8 is already available for pre-order on amazon.co.uk (it hasn't even started airing yet). You have to read the customer reviews. They are a hoot.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2014, 11:45:40 AM »
Doctor Who
Series 1.08 Father's Day
Writer: Paul Cornell (Writer)
Cast: Christopher Eccleston (Doctor Who), Billie Piper (Rose Tyler), Camille Coduri (Jackie Tyler), Shaun Dingwall (Pete Tyler), Robert Barton (Registrar), Julia Joyce (Young Rose), Christopher Llewellyn (Stuart), Frank Rozelaar-Green (Sonny), Natalie Jones (Sarah), Eirlys Bellin (Bev), Rhian James (Suzie), Casey Dyer (Young Mickey)

This episode deals with what happens if the doctor (or in this case Rose) tries to change something in their personal history). I liked the scenes with Rose and her Dad. I didn't care so much about the creatures which appear to destroy them because of the changed history. It reminded me a little of the "The Langoliers" TV movie. Though the CGI is better than in that movie.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2014, 03:13:42 PM »
Doctor Who
Series 1.09 The Empty Child
Writer: Steven Moffat (Writer)
Director: James Hawes
Cast: Christopher Eccleston (Doctor Who), Billie Piper (Rose Tyler), Kate Harvey (Nightclub Singer), Albert Valentine (The Child), Florence Hoath (Nancy), Cheryl Fergison (Mrs Lloyd), Damian Samuels (Mr Lloyd), John Barrowman (Jack Harkness), Robert Hands (Algy), Joseph Tremain (Jim), Jordan Murphy (Ernie), Brandon Miller (Alf), Richard Wilson (Dr Constantine), Noah Johnson (Voice of The Empty Child), Dian Perry (Computer Voice)

This episode marks the first appearance of Captain Jack, who later gets his own spin-off series "Torchwood". I liked the scenes with him. I am not that much keen on the main storyline, though I think the child with the gas mask is creepy.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2014, 04:34:14 PM »
Doctor Who
Series 1.10 The Doctor Dances
Writer: Steven Moffat (Writer)
Cast: Christopher Eccleston (Doctor Who), Billie Piper (Rose Tyler), Albert Valentine (The Child), Florence Hoath (Nancy), John Barrowman (Jack), Luke Perry (Timothy Lloyd), Damian Samuels (Mr Lloyd), Cheryl Fergison (Mrs Lloyd), Joseph Tremain (Jim), Jordan Murphy (Ernie), Robert Hands (Algy), Martin Hodgson (Jenkins), Richard Wilson (Dr Constantine), Vilma Hollingbery (Mrs Harcourt), Noah Johnson (Voice of The Empty Child), Dian Perry (Computer Voice)

The continuiation of the previous episode. Even though I didn't like the main storyline in the previous episode, I enjoyed its conclusion.

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2014, 11:45:46 PM »
"Are you my mommy?" .. who couldn't love that in a little kid?
Thank you
David

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2014, 09:44:32 PM »
Doctor Who
Series 1.11 Boom Town
Cast: Christopher Eccleston (Doctor Who), Billie Piper (Rose Tyler), William Thomas (Mr Cleaver), Annette Badland (Margaret), John Barrowman (Captain Jack), Noel Clarke (Mickey), Mali Harries (Cathy), Aled Pedrick (Idris Hopper), Alan Ruscoe (Slitheen)

The storyline is nothing special, but there are some nice character moments in this episode. It handles how Mickey feels that Rose is travelling with the doctor and there are some fun scenes with Captain Jack.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2014, 10:33:41 PM »
Doctor Who
Series 1.12 Bad Wolf
Writer: Russell T Davies (Writer), Terry Nation (Original Characters By)
Cast: Christopher Eccleston (Doctor Who), Billie Piper (Rose Tyler), John Barrowman (Captain Jack), Jo Joyner (Lynda), Jamie Bradley (Strood), Abi Eniola (Crosbie), Davina McCall (Voice of Davinadroid), Paterson Joseph (Rodrick), Jenna Russell (Floor Manager), Anne Robinson (Voice of Anne Droid), Trinny Woodall (Voice of Trine-E), Susannah Constantine (Voice of Zu-Zana), Jo Stone Fewings (Male Programmer), Nisha Nayar (Female Programmer), Dominic Burgess (Agorax), Karren Winchester (Fitch), Kate Loustau (Colleen), Sebastian Armesto (Broff), Martha Cope (Controller), Sam Callis (Security Guard), , Alan Ruscoe (Androids), Paul Kasey (Androids), , Barnaby Edwards (Dalek Operators), Nicholas Pegg (Dalek Operators), David Hankinson (Dalek Operators), , Nicholas Briggs (Dalek Voice)

A very fun first half of the episode, where the doctor is trapped in a Big Brother house and Rose is taking a part in a deadly version of The Weakest Link. And the finale is first big episodic cliffhanger, with Rose being captured by a huge Dalek army.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2014, 10:28:07 PM »
Doctor Who
Series 1.13 The Parting of the Ways
Writer: Russell T Davies (Writer), Terry Nation (Original Characters By)
Cast: Christopher Eccleston (Doctor Who), Billie Piper (Rose Tyler), John Barrowman (Captain Jack), Jo Stone Fewings (Male Programmer), Jo Joyner (Lynda), Paterson Joseph (Rodrick), Nisha Nayar (Female Programmer), Noel Clarke (Mickey), Camille Coduri (Jackie), Anne Robinson (Voice of Anne Droid), Nicholas Briggs (Dalek Voice), , Barnaby Edwards (Dalek Operators), Nicholas Pegg (Dalek Operators), David Hankinson (Dalek Operators), , Alan Ruscoe (Android), David Tennant (Doctor Who)

When I first saw this episode, I was surprised by the regeneration in this episode. I knew that the ninth doctor only had one series, but I didn't know that it was known during shooting of the first series, that he will leave after that one. And that they already had the replacement cast.
Also otherwise this is a great episode. The perfect first series finale. This episode also marks another milestone: Captain Jack gets immortal, though he doesn't know it yet.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2014, 09:03:44 PM »
Doctor Who
Series 2.00 The Christmas Invasion
Cast: David Tennant (The Doctor), Billie Piper (Rose Tyler), Camille Coduri (Jackie Tyler), Noel Clarke (Mickey Smith), Penelope Wilton (Harriet Jones), Daniel Evans (Danny Llewelyn), Adam Garcia (Alex), Sean Gilder (Sycorax Leader), Chu Omambala (Major Blake), Anita Briem (Sally), Sian McDowall (Sandra), Paul W. S. Anderson (Jason), Cathy Murphy (Mum), Sean Carlsen (Policeman), Jason Mohammed (Newsreader 1), Sagar Arya (Newsreader 2), Lachele Carl (Newsreader 3)

The tenth doctor makes a very good first impression, even though he is asleep throughout most of the episode. But when he wakes up, he steals the scene. And I like his interactions with Rose, Jackie and Mickey.