Author Topic: Under the Dome  (Read 1833 times)

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Under the Dome
« on: October 04, 2013, 09:30:30 AM »
Has anybody been watching this? We just got the first episode yesterday. I'm not really a big Stephen King fan, so I hadn't heard of the book. While this episode was kind of interesting, I'm not sure it's something I'll be watching. I would love to hear what anyone else thinks.

To a B-movie fan like me, the premise seems a bit like The Slime People (1963). Except The Slime People was ultra low budget and had no special effects what so ever, unless you count fog as a special effect.

A more obvious comparison might of course be The Simpsons Movie. One might be tempted to think that King was influenced by this, but apparently he started writing the book in the sixties but put it on backburner until some years ago.

I have to admit that Under the Dome had some cool special effects. The cow sliced in half seemed inspired of a similar effect in some horror remake a few years ago (was it House on Haunted Hill?) that had a person bisected. But cool special effects was never enough to hold my interest for very long.

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Under the Dome
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 06:46:18 PM »
I have watched the full season and though there were some down times, generally i think it is a pretty good show.  Lots of inter-personal baggage for those who like that (not my favorite).   There is some good scifi (supernatural?) strains and of course a lot of 'the big bad government is doing it' strains.

Over all like I said not a bad show.
Thank you
David

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 07:08:31 PM »
Ok, I guess I can give it a few episodes to see how it develops.

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 08:13:05 PM »
I think at 3&4 i wondered about whether to continue watching but i recorded and then watched several at a sitting though to the end and enjoyed it more.  as they say ... your mileage may very :)
Thank you
David

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 08:26:51 PM »
I watched the Pilot found it to be rather boring and stopped watching.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 01:29:28 AM »
I didn't watch it at all.  I have had some...issues with stuff based on King's books..and the books themselves.  I've read like...hmm...5 of them and The Shinning is the only one I liked. 

MEJHarrison

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 10:47:32 PM »
I was a decent book that got twisted into a mediocre show.  At this point, there is little resemblance between the show and the book.  I watched the whole thing (being a King fan), and when I call it mediocre, I'm probably being a tad generous.

Glad you liked the cow.  They must have too.  It was shown on the "Previously On..." EVERY episode.  I'm so sick of that stupid cow. :laugh:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 11:01:24 PM »
I was a decent book that got twisted into a mediocre show.

I am so sorry for you. :console: Is there any way you can turn back?  :book:
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

MEJHarrison

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 09:21:22 PM »

Yeah, because I'm the only person who's every been disappointed by a TV series. :hysterical:

I've actually been trying to stop watching new shows these past few years.  I'm so tired of getting into a new show only to have it canceled after half a season.  I let this one slide because I read the book and like King's stories.  But these days, I'm happy to wait to see if a show is a hit before diving into it.

MEJHarrison

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 10:46:24 PM »

Thanks for the PM.  You're right, I meant IT (Under the Dome; not It with Pennywise the clown) was a decent book.  I'm more of a magazine.  Sorry for the confusion.