Author Topic: Jimmy's - 2013 Ooctober Horror Marathon  (Read 62728 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: Jimmy's - 2013 Ooctober Horror Marathon
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2013, 06:53:29 AM »
It's an hard one I know :training:

BTW when you'll post the film you have watched according to your banner... you have posted nothing since Practical Magic :shrug:

I'm all caught up now. :)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2013, 05:01:35 PM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation (1994)

Genre: Horror
Director: Kim Henkel
Rating: R
Length: 1h33
Video: Full Frame
Audio: English
Subtitles: None

Stars:
Renée Zellweger
Matthew McConaughey
Robert Jacks
Tonie Perensky
Joe Stevens

Plot:
Cannibal transvestite Leatherface wreaks havoc once more in this third, postmodern-edged sequel, penned by director Henkel (who co-scripted the original cult classic). Here, his quarry are plucky small-town teens begarbed for their high school prom. Notable for its early work from Texas natives Zellweger and McConaughey, who went on to Hollywood fame--and, according to rumor, tried to have this effort vaulted.

My Thoughts:
Ok that one doesn't really connect with the last one or even the first one and I won't try to connect the dot. Leatherface isn't really the principal character and I think he kills only one person, anyway he is a whiny drag queen in this film so less we see him the better it is. The real bad guy is someone named Vilmer played by an over the top Matthew McConaughey. It isn't really good and become an exasperating experience fastly. Also be ready to scratch your head at the end...

Did I recommand it? Yes and no... It's an awfull film without a doubt, but it's not often that you see two futures Holywood A listers staring in a low budget C horror movie.

Rating :

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2013, 12:28:41 AM »
How many of these movies are there?

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2013, 12:50:52 AM »
Just another one the remake in 3D that I haven't bought, maybe some day I will if I find it cheap but only because I'm a completist (from everyrhing I've read this isn't a good movie at all).

So it's seven movies in total.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2013, 01:06:52 AM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Invasion of the Blood Farmers (1972)

Director: Ed Adlum
Rating: NR
Length: 1h17
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1:78.1

Stars:
Norman Kelley
Tanna Hunter
Bruce Detrick
Paul Craig Jennings
Jack Neubeck

Plot:
This dreadful, but oddly engaging horror black comedy film from director Ed Adlum (SHRIEK OF THE MUTILATED) and co-writer Ed Kelleher deals with a cult of modern-day Druids on a farm in upstate New York. In order to keep their catatonic queen alive in her glass coffin, the cultists drain the blood from passersby with the aid of some cheap plastic tubing. The leader of the cult is a flamboyantly effeminate priest whose hilariously silly explanations of his beliefs provide most of the film's minimal entertainment value. Outlandish Paul Craig Jennings as Creaton lights up the insane film in this campy cult favorite. Co-produced by Jack Bravman (SNUFF, ZOMBIE NIGHTMARE).

My Thoughts:
You don't start a movie called Invasion of the Blood Farmers expecting the greatest ever made, but you know this isn't the reason why I like or not a movie. Yes the acting is bad (most of the cast are friends, neighbors or relatives of Adlum and Kelleher, the story doesn't make a lot of sense (it was shoot as an alien invasion movie untill they realized they didn't have the found to create a spaceship, so the bad guys became druids and everything already shooted was kept as is) and this isn't scary (it was the plan as along as the distributor wanted a PG rating). But for me this isn't important at all... if I see that anyone care and have their heart in the good place this is all that count.

So don't expect a good movie, but expect a fun time in front of your TV and you'll be fine. To be honest, for a movie made in 6 days for 28,000$ (wich was extremely low budget even for the early seventies) this is quite impressive.

At worst if this movie doesn't sound interesting to you there is a good commentary with Ed Adlum.

Rating :

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2013, 07:14:33 AM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Rockula (1990)

Director: Luca Bercovici
Length: 1h30

Stars:
Dean Cameron
Toni Basil
Thomas Dolby
Tawny Feré
Susan Tyrrell

Plot:
Rockula is about a male vampire who lost his lady love centuries ago. She was killed by a pirate with a rhinestone peg leg, wielding a large ham bone. Our hero, the vampire, did nothing to save her. So he is now cursed to watch her be born again in another life, and then watch her die, strangely enough by a pirate with a rhinestone peg leg, wielding you-know-what. Now, in 1990, he has, he suspects, his last chance to try to save her instead of watching get clubbed over and over again down through the years. Oh, and he becomes a rock star in the process.

My Thoughts:
Even if I know one person here who would be scared to death at the idea of watching this film, I must say it isn't scary at all (not even one second). This is just a silly love story with a vampire, but he isn't a sparkling vampire so it's a plus. Also it is a musical wich would be the scary part for a certain someone, but it's not a good one. The song doesn't really fit in the story, except for a duo between Dean Cameron and Tawny Feré none of the song are that great. It could have been good since the concept of the film is interesting, but most of the acting aren't that good since they have cast people who can sing and Dean Cameron play the character with too much restraint (common I expect more crazyness from Dave Marshak).

Not really recommanded, anyway that would be hard to recommand the film who have killed the career of Dean Cameron and put Cannon Films to death (after that film they did Street Knight in 93 and it was over).

Rating :
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 07:16:21 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2013, 01:05:55 AM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Don't Look in the Basement (1973)

Director: S.F. Brownrigg
Length: 1h29

Stars:
Rosie Holotik
Bill McGhee
Annabelle Weenick
Gene Ross
Harryette Warren

Plot:
Nurse Charlotte Beale arrives at the isolated Stephens Sanitarium to work, only to learn that Dr. Stephens was murdered by one of the patients and his successor, Dr. Geraldine Masters, is not very eager to take on new staff. Charlotte finds her job maddeningly hard as the patients torment and harass her at every turn, and she soon learns why Dr. Masters is so eager to keep outsiders out.

My Thoughts:
Excellent psychological horror movie that took the time to built himself. You don't know what to expect at all untill all hell break loose at the end and you finally discover the dark secret of the insane asylum. This is how an horror movie must be done : full of suspense, false leads and a big reveal. You don't need an obvious bad character when you know how to write a script (surprisingly Tim Pope, the writer, will became later a music video director well known for his works with The Cure). Very well played with no overacting (an hard task to do, even Dustin Hoffman was not able to play a mentally challenged character without overacting a lot) by veteran theatre actors of the Dallas scene.

Absolutly recommanded

Rating :

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2013, 04:17:23 AM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Horror High (1974)

Director: Larry N. Stouffer
Length: 1h24
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1:85.1

Stars:
Pat Cardi
Austin Stoker
Rosie Holotik
John Niland
Joye Hash

Plot:
A series of grisly murders wreaks havoc at a small Texas high school! A no-nonsense cop (Austin Stoker - ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13, ABBY, ZEBRA KILLER) is assigned to find out the identity of the mad devious killer who roams the corridors of the high school. A mild mannered student (Pat Cardi) has been drinking a mysterious potion that turns himself into Vernon, a genetic freak. Terrorizing students and teachers alike, Vernon spreads his web of violence and terror to all who have mocked or laughed at him. Vernon also plays a deadly game of cat & mouse with the cop who is trying to stop him. Can the cop beat the killer at his own game, or will he become the final victim at HORROR HIGH? Rosie Holotik (ENCOUNTERS WITH THE UNKNOWN), John Niland (NFL Dallas Cowboys), and NFL Great "Mean" Joe Greene co-star in this violent and demented 70's horror film that has attained a devoted cult following! First time available in its UNCUT "R" rated version - unseen for decades!!!

My Thoughts:
This is one of those I wanted to see since I've seen its trailer many years ago on one of the First Something Weird Video DVD I got in 2005. Flash forward at the middle of 2010 and finally it was released by Code Red DVD... yes it was a long wait but I'm a patient guy ;D

This is more or less a Jeckyl and Hyde story, but set in a high school. At least in part it is, since Vernon find the formula while working on his biology class works but he goes only after the people who treat him badly. That doesn't sound that exciting but it is indeed a nice chiller well writen by J.D. Feigelson under a pseudonym (he is of course more known for Dark Night of the Scarecrow that he wrote seven years later), with some nice effects considering the budget (this is if you watch the R rated cut and not the TV version of course) and with a good cast. Pat Cardi is a veteran child actor, Austin Stoker two years before his big break with Assault on Precinct 13 and of course the lovely Rosie Holotik (in case you didn't notice, today she is part of every movies I've choose to watch). Also if you were a football fan in the early seventies John Niland, Abner Haynes, Calvin Hill, D.D. Lewis and Joe Greene are in this film.

Another recommandation, BTW don't trust imdb Return to Horror High isn't a sequel of this film and have nothing to do with it.

Rating :
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 05:38:46 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2013, 04:39:32 PM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Encounter with the Unknown (1973)

Director: Harry Thomason
Rating: PG
Length: 1h32

Stars:
Rod Serling
Robert Ginnaven
Rosie Holotik
Michael Harvey
Gene Ross

Plot:
Rod Serling (TV's Twillight Zone) phones in a shocking trilogy of UHF television level thrills. A curse hits three frat kids when a homicidal mother decides they are resonsible for her son's death, and this prophetic mother won't stop untill she gains her twisted vengeance. Each frat boy meets with the most painfull death that you will encounter in a familly film. An inbred boy's dog falls into the pit of hell, and it's up his uncle/dag (standout performance by Robert Holton) to go down to investigate. Watch out when he returns! Third, an unsuspecting driver picks up lost girls, Rosie Holotik (Don't Look in the Basement, Horror High), only to learn that she died years before. Featuring box office champ Bill Thurman (Gator Bait), outrageous funnyman Gene Ross (the groovy judge in Here Comes the Judge), comedian Charlie Dell and Robert Ginnaven as the business-class-riding priest.

My Thoughts:
An uneven anthology with one excellent story (The Girl on the Bridge), one so-so (The Hole) and one awfully bad. It's a regional movie (Arkansas) with many regulars from the S.F. Brownrigg and Larry Buchanan pool of actors. As I said the first story is an awfull mess with a story repeated over and over. The midle one is about a hole in the ground that can be evil or not depending of what you believe (with a better writting and details this could had been a good story). The last one is about a dead spirit who is lost and wants to return home, ok this isn't a new theme but it's well written and well acted (certainly better than anything else in that). This is the first movie of Rosie Holotik (she played the Lady on the Bridge) and she do a great jobs.

Rating :

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2013, 07:45:58 AM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: The Ring (2002)

Director: Gore Verbinski
Rating: PG-13
Length: 1h55
Audio: English and French
Subtitles: English, French and Spanish

Stars:
Naomi Watts
Martin Henderson
David Dorfman
Brian Cox
Jane Alexander

Plot:
The Ring is the critically acclaimed, smash hit thriller David Ansen of Newsweek says "raises some serious goosebumps!" This cinematic thrill ride will keep you on the edge of your seat from the stunning opening to the astonishing conclusion!

It begins as just another urban legend – the whispered tale of a nightmarish videotape that causes anyone who watches it to die seven days later. But when four teenagers all meet with mysterious deaths exactly one week after watching just such a tape, investigative reporter Rachel Keller (Naomi Watts) tracks down the video...and watches it. Now, the legend is coming true, the clock is ticking and Rachel has just seven days to unravel the mystery of The Ring.

My Thoughts:
I don't know why, but that film just doesn't work me. Yes it is well acted and the cinematography is nice, but I kind of felt like it said too much. From the best of my memory the original one didn't hold my hand to show me everything and tell me all the why. The film felt more like "CSI" drama than an horror film to me wich isn't the case with the original. Also it is way too long and all that horse sub-plot make zero sense...

OK maybe I'm hard on the film because I've seen the original before, so maybe it isn't that bad for most people :shrug:  

Rating :
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 07:47:33 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2013, 05:49:58 PM »
The Ring is a nice attempt to make a remake, but it can't come even close to the original. Sure they had to change stuff due to cultural differences, but it just makes it it less efficient in what it's trying to do. There is a few creepy moments and I quite liked that horse scene on the ship.

As far as remakes of Japanese horror goes I think I liked Dark Water more...

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 18, 2013, 05:57:08 PM »
As far as remakes of Japanese horror goes I think I liked Dark Water more...
Never seen it, but the original didn't make that much of an impression on me. It was a while ago so maybe I should try to give it another chance :shrug:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 18, 2013, 10:22:35 PM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Sexcula (1974)

Genre: Horror (Adult)
Director: John Holbrook
Length: 1h28

Stars:
Debbie Collins
Jamie Orlando
John Alexander   
Tim Lowery
Bud Coal

Plot:
SEXCULA is a skin flick of legendary lost status. Shot in Vancouver, British Columbia, it was screened once before disappearing and sought after by cult aficionados for decades. Now, Impulse Pictures is proud to bring you the world premiere of SEXCULA. Sex film fans can finally get a look at this elusive crazy Canadian erotic/horror hybrid for the first time ever.

Starring a Marilyn Chambers lookalike in dual roles as Countess Sexcula, a buxom cutie with no qualms about lying nude on a table for the entire movie, and a horny bride who can’t wait for her ring. The nudity and sex are delivered nonstop in this campy horror romp. Watch in amazement at the naked picnic, the “girl-on-gorilla” strip tease, and stare in awe as a female pleasure-robot puts the plot into a time warp!

Bizarre only begins to describe… SEXCULA!

My Thoughts:
Bizarre is sure a word to describe this canadian rarity... BTW this is awesome that like every other canadians films of that era this was finance trough the tax shelter program and it was archived at the Canadian National Archives (wich is the canadian version of the american Library of Congress, I bet there aren't any adult movies there :P). So even if it was believed to be lost it never was and was well preserved at the Archives.

Is it scary? Of course not, there are better horror film than this one. But you got a Frankenstein-like doctor, a man in a gorilla suit, manbot with an impotence problem, a vampire who isn't really one, an ugly Igor-like lab assistant or something like that (who contrary to the manbot can get it up), a credible laboratory set (when we can see since the film is kind of dark), obvious stunt performers (common not everyone can perform in front of a camera and a large crew), a story who doesn't make sense most of the time, some of the worst acting ever seen, some WTF moment (the wedding ceremony sure win the WTH Cup) and a complete breaking of the fourth wall at the end.

So was it good? You bet it was. I've seen much better adult films, but it was quite funny so for me this is perfectly fine. By the way the director will work in Holywood a long time after that on films like First Blood, Scary Movie and many TV shows. 

Rating :

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 19, 2013, 03:54:05 AM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Leprechaun (1993)

Director: Mark Jones
Rating: 18+
Length: 1h31
Subtitles: English, French and Spanish

Stars:
Warwick Davis
Jennifer Aniston
Ken Olandt   
Mark Holton
Robert Hy Gorman

Plot:
A horrific. Leprechaun (Warwick Davis) goes on a rampage after his precious bag of gold coins is stolen. He uses all of his magical powers to trick, terrorize and kill anyone who is unlucky enough to hinder his relentless search. In a frantic attempt to survive the wrath of the Leprechaun, Tori (Jennifer Aniston) must scramble to find the Only weapon known to kill this monster.

My Thoughts:
Of course you don't start that kind of movie expecting something scary, because if we are honest the idea of a kiiler Leprechaun is silly. Strangely it's a lot more bloody that I remembered, maybe I've seen a cut version when it was originally released on VHS. The Leprauchaun is the kind of character who fall on the nerves real fast (those 90s movies filled with "comic" one liner get old fast), so I know in advance that it will be chore to see the others. Anyway that one wasn't too bad, even if the cast was kind of weak...

One annoying detail about the DVD: The CC are out of sync wich is really poor quality control from Lion's Gates.

Rating :

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2013, 06:17:51 AM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Leprechaun 2 (1994)

Director: Rodman Flender
Rating: 18+
Length: 1h25
Subtitles: English and Spanish

Stars:
Warwick Davis
Charlie Heath
Shevonne Durkin
Sandy Baron
Adam Biesk

Plot:
Now the Leprechaun’s in the big city Using all his deadly tricks to snare the girl of his nightmares. His quest becomes deadly when her boyfriend steals one of the Irish monster’s precious coins, and a bloody rampage filled with grisly thrills and gruesome special effects follows.

My Thoughts:
Strangely contrary to what I was expecting this one wasn't that bad. Of course the leprechaun always use unfunny one liners but less than before. Also the principal characters are less annoying and the tone is a little bit darker (even if the basic premisses of that franchise is silly). But the leprechaun cheats, he isn't supposed to steal people gold as a leprechaun is interested by his gold not other people gold. BTW the scene at the bar was kind of funny.

Rating :