Author Topic: The Saint at Elstree  (Read 1545 times)

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
The Saint at Elstree
« on: January 13, 2018, 10:20:51 AM »
I recently bought the box set with all the color episodes of the old TV show The Saint starring Roger Moore.
I don't remember reflecting on it when I watched these on television a long time ago, but when you binge watch the show it becomes very clear how much was shot on the rather limited sets at Elstree studios. The same street sets and stage sets appear over and over. Although they are redressed, they are often very distinct and therefore very recognizeable. For example:

A jeweller's office in Amsterdam.

Inside that office.

A private residence in a small French town. Note that they didn't even bother to change the name of the next door shop!

Inside that residence. Does that arch in the background look familiar?

I guess some might find it distracting that the same sets appear over and over. But I actually don't mind. For me, I doesn't diminish the enjoyment of the story. It just adds some spot-the-set amusement. I like this old show quite a lot. I actually much prefer Roger Moore as The Saint over his James Bond.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: The Saint at Elstree
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 03:43:43 PM »
The was one of the issues of Smallville in seasons 8 to 10. They had drastically reduced the budget and to even have slightly enough for the special effects, their outdoor activities were limited to almost the same street set in every episode. You have the pharmacy, the jeweller and the theatre. And of course the phone booth. ;)
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools