Author Topic: Die Abenteuer des Prinzen Achmed (The Adventures of Prince Achmed)  (Read 2144 times)

Offline Danae Cassandra

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile

Die Abenteuer des Prinzen Achmed (The Adventures of Prince Achmed)
Year of Release: 1926
Starring: no one
Directed By: Lotte Reiniger
Genres: Fantasy, Adventure

Overview:
When The Adventures of Prince Achmed premiered in 1926, it was hailed as a cinematic miracle and the first full-length animated feature.  This enchanting film still stands as one of the great classics of animation — beautiful, mesmerizing and utterly seductive.  Director Lotte Reiniger's sinuous, elegant designs bring characters vividly to life and give the story a rare lyrical quality.

Taken from The Arabian Nights, the film tells the story of a wicked sorcerer who tricks Prince Achmed into mounting a magical flying horse, sending the rider off on a perilous flight.  But the prince foils the magician's scheme and soars headlong into a series of wondrous adventures — joining forces with Aladdin and the Witch of the Fiery Mountains, doing battle with the sorcerer's army of demons and falling in love with the beautiful Princess Pari Banu.

My Thoughts:
This is a marvelous film.  Created with silhouette cutouts and color tinting, it depicts a magical world where a prince must battle an evil sorcerer and hoards of fierce demons to win a beautiful princess. 

Even without considering the year this was made, the silhouettes are exquisitely detailed, with the ladies looking like they are wrapped in lace, the monsters having suitably fierce expressions, and even lips moving in closeup.  When one thinks about the date - 1926! - one is even more impressed by the work and craftsmanship that went into this film.

But this isn't just for silent film buffs!  I have plans to show this to my friends, all of whom are very average, run-of-the-mill movie viewers.  The story is exciting, the animation enchanting, and it has a powerful, heroic witch!  I love the witch!  Highly recommended.

Bechdel Test: Fail

Overall: 4/5
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-- Thorin Oakenshield