Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: Unwatched DVDs  (Read 18728 times)

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: Unwatched DVDs
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2013, 03:28:08 PM »
Thanks for the review. Its not often i see you give a perfect 5 on a movie. So maby i should put that one on my list aswell.
And i agree with the Battle Royal. Great movie (wich was recommanded to me by Sam btw)
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2013, 03:31:31 PM »
Yeah, it isn't often a film deserves a full 5 star rating in my eyes. But I found this one to be simply amazing. And a true story as well. After watching the film I even went to the website to see Winter (the dolphin) on their webcam. (seewinter.com)
Pete

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2013, 03:36:51 PM »
Cool :) And (for me) there is something about movies based on a true story. It just catches me.(If thats even a word?)  (Allready put it on my pricewatch list)
Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 03:38:55 PM by Piffi »
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2013, 03:40:08 PM »
Great. Hope you get it for a good price and that you enjoy it as much as I did!  :thumbup:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2013, 07:17:26 PM »
     Clash of the Titans (2010/United States)
IMDb |Trailer |Wikipedia |
Warner Home Video
Director:Louis Leterrier
Writing:Travis Beacham (Screenwriter), Phil Hay (Screenwriter), Matt Manfredi (Screenwriter), Beverley Cross (Original Material By)
Length:106 min.
Rating:Rated PG-13 : Fantasy Action Violence, Some Frightening Images and Brief Sensuality
Video:Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Sam Worthington as Perseus
Liam Neeson as Zeus
Ralph Fiennes as Hades
Jason Flemyng as Calibos/Acrisius
Gemma Arterton as Io
Alexa Davalos as Andromeda

Plot:
In Clash of the Titans, the ultimate struggle to power pits man against kings and kings against gods. But the war between the gods themselves could destroy the world. Born of a god but raised a man, Perseus (Sam Worthington) is helpless to save his family from Hades (Ralph Fiennes), vengeful god of the underworld. With nothing to lose, Perseus volunteers to lead a dangerous mission to defeat Hades before he can sieze power from Zeus (Liam Neeson) and unleash hell on earth. Battling unholy demons and fearsome beasts, Perseus and his warriors will only survive if Perseus accepts his power as a god, defies fate, and creates his own destiny.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
The original Clash of the Titans from 1981 has always been an old favorite of mine. When I first heard they were remaking it... once I got passed the initial thought of Why? I hoped they would do it well. And to me doing a remake well means walking a fine line of changing and updating enough to make a remake exciting.... while at the same time keeping the main storyline so that you can see just enough similarities to know the story they are remaking. In my opinion they did a fine job on this... amping up the action helped in this. While I think I may still prefer the original... I definitely can see myself rewatching this one as well. Definitely worth the time put in to watch it. I am glad I finally got around to checking this one out.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2013, 11:58:13 PM »
Just for the fun of it, when you said you had over 1000 in your unwatchedpile! :o (more movies that people own in total!) I just counted my unwatchedpile. I only got 350 in my unwatchedpile so far.
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2013, 12:02:40 AM »
I probably have more unwatched horror then you have total unwatched! :P
Pete

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2013, 12:16:24 AM »
I dont think have over 300 horrormovies total  :-[ And that is embarassing really. And horror is one of my favorite genres!
You should post a picture of your collection ;)
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2013, 12:20:37 AM »
They aren't all in one place.... over 1000 of them are in binder books... several shelves... in cardboard boxes.... one the top bunk of a set of bunk beds... and so on. :P So they are in such a disarray I hate even the thought of taking pics.
Pete

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2013, 12:26:30 AM »
Hehe, i gotcha ;) But when you have all of your movies some here and some there. Do you know wich one you havent seen or are in the top of the line etc, to all time?
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2013, 12:33:40 AM »
Most the time I have a good idea where they are at.... but sometimes it takes some searching. Which is why I haven't watched Battle Royale yet... it is currently hiding from me. :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2013, 04:01:07 PM »
    The Beastmaster (1982/United States)
IMDb |Trailer |Wikipedia |
Anchor Bay Entertainment
Director:Don Coscarelli
Writing:Don Coscarelli (Writer), Paul Pepperman (Writer)
Length:118 min.
Rating:PG
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:None

Stars:
Marc Singer as Dar
Tanya Roberts as Kiri
Rip Torn as Maax
John Amos as Seth
Josh Milrad as Tal
Rod Loomis as Zed

Plot:
The prince of a family slaughtered by lords of evil, Dar must embark on a perilous journey to seek his revenge against a villainous priest.

Extras:
  • None

My Thoughts:
This is a on a cheap Echo Bridge DVD I got at a grocery store recently called Fantasy Adventure: 4 Films Collector's Set. 4 movies on 1 single side DVD for only $2.99. So going into it I wasn't expecting much of anything quality wise.  Of course no extras at all... not even a scene select menu. When I picked this one up I couldn't remember for sure if I seen any of the films before. Turns out in this case as I was watching it I remember I have seen it before. But it has been many years! The movie itself is pretty good... not what I would call a great movie... but I definitely enjoyed it. As for the quality... I was honestly expecting worse. But still wasn't great. Reminded me of the old VHS days. So it is watchable... but nothing special. At least it was in Widescreen.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2013, 01:33:21 PM »
I think I will continue this marathon for this weekend. After all I still have so many unwatched in my collection.

Please note... just because the DVD is unwatched don't mean I never seen the film before. Just that I haven't seen it since getting it on DVD.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2013, 04:32:21 PM »
     Nancy Drew (2007/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Warner Bros. Entertainment, Warner Home Video
Director:Andrew Fleming
Writing:Andrew Fleming (Screenwriter), Tiffany Paulsen (Screenwriter), Tiffany Paulsen (Story By), Carolyn Keene (Original Characters By)
Length:99 min.
Rating:Rated PG : Mild Violence, Thematic Elements and Brief Language
Video:Widescreen 2.35:1, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Emma Roberts as Nancy Drew
Craig Gellis as Thug
Rich Cooper as Charlie
Max Thieriot as Ned Nickerson
Amy Bruckner as Bess
Kay Panabaker as Georgie

Plot:
With her magnifying glass and fingerprint powder in hand, Nancy Drew leaves River Heights for Hollywood...but not to meet that guy on Smallville, as her boyfriend Ned fears. No, she's out to solve one of the greatest mysteries ever: the death of movie star Dehlia Draycott. But the bigger mystery is how our perky, plaid-clad sleuth will fit in with the text-messaging teen queens of mean she meets at Hollywood High.

Join Emma Roberts as Nancy in this timeless girl detective mystery as she finds danger, adventure and romance. Because wherever Nancy goes, excitement follows.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Featurettes
  • Music Videos
  • Outtakes/Bloopers

My Thoughts:
This is a film my daughter Brittany gave me out of her collection. She didn't care for it and knew I was always a big fan of The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew every since I was a little kid... much younger then she is now. Of course I knew going into it this is more or less a spoof of Nancy Drew... so went into it not expecting too much... certainly nothing to take as a serious Nancy Drew mystery. But as it turns out it wasn't as bad as I thought going into it. The one downside for me... while the movie takes place in present time... they basically had Nancy Drew stuck in the '50s. They played it off by having Nancy state that she likes old fashion things. Other then that the movie kept my attention... and I found I enjoyed it...well more then I expected to. Though I am the first to admit... this one isn't for everyone.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2013, 07:43:41 PM »
     7 Nights of Darkness (2011/United States)
IMDb |Trailer |
Echo Bridge Home Entertainment
Director:Allen Kellogg
Writing:Allen Kellogg (Writer)
Length:90 min.
Rating:Rated NR : Adult Situations, Violence and Profanity
Video:Widescreen
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:None

Stars:
Jennifer Mae Hoffman
Allen Kellogg
Meredith Kochan
Larry Nehring
Andrew Richardson
Tom Sperry

Plot:
Six reality TV contestants compete for a share of $1 million in a game that requires them to spend seven creepy nights in an abandoned asylum.

Extras:
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
I got this film in a 8 movie set called "Haunted Hollows." This is one of those "found Tape" type horror movies like Blair Witch Project or Paranormal Activity. I always enjoyed this type of film. When I started watching this one I got a little concerned as it starts off so slow and boring I didn't know if I would make it through the entire movie. Plus I found I just didn't care about any of the characters. But then at about the half way point it started having some good scenes... pulling my attention in. There was still several slow scenes as well. I thought I was about to dose off a couple times. But the good scenes helped me make it through the entire film. Over-all not a terribly bad movie... but I have seen several of it's type that were better. No big deal if you miss this one... but if like me, you got this one in a box set of films... you may want to give it a try. Just don't go into it expecting too much.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete