Author Topic: What would happen?  (Read 2885 times)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
What would happen?
« on: September 29, 2008, 09:13:32 PM »
I know this will sound weird, but I had (again) nothing to do at work and I was bored again.

And when I am bored and not allowed to do other things I drift into daydreams to create scenarios and imagine what would happen. I usually take some fictional characters and mix it either with our real world or another fictional universe.

For example: Imagine this setting. Smallville, 6th season. Before the Lexana wedding. Lana doesn't know Clark's secret yet. What would happen if someone gave her the Spider-Man DVD with a little note that she might find some of the parallels interesting? I think it would be quite interesting to watch her watch that DVD, slowly understanding some things.

Another example: What if the Smallville gang falls through a dimensional portal and and lands directly in Hellmouth town Sunnydale and subsequently runs into the Scoobie Gang. I try to imagine how the different characters would react, when for example Xander would start to ask questions about Clark's abilites who in turn has no idea why the hell this guy knows everything about him.

You think I am weird? Maybe, but also really bored. ;)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 09:47:09 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Najemikon

Re: What would happen?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 09:44:31 PM »
You're not that weird!  :laugh: I used to think they should do crossover episodes between X-Files and Buffy, one from each perspective. Can you imagine? Mulder gets a tip-off weird shit keeps happening in Sunnydale and kids keep disappearing so they go take a look. They can't get much out of the librarian and when they sneak around at night, Mulder gets beaten up in the dark as a warning to keep away... but there's only this young blonde girl there so who pasted him? Then Scully, who obviously will not accept any idea that vampires of all things exist, finds and examines an unconscious pale guy, but get this! He has a skin condition not seen for 200 years! Then Skinner calls Mulder. Tells him to back off. Some shadowy organisation based in Britain somehow has the political strength to threaten the FBI. Could the nervy librarian have something to do with it? Hmmmm...

I still think it would be cool... :P

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 09:46:27 PM »
I know this will sound weird, but I had (again) nothing to do at work and I was bored again.

That's not weird, that's enviable.

And when I am bored and not allowed to do other things I drift into daydreams to create scenarios and imagine what would happen. I usually take some fictional characters and mix it either with our real world or another fictional universe.
You think I am weird? Maybe, but also just bored. ;)

That's not weird either, that's fan fiction. If you write it down, it may look like this. Twisting the Hellmouth is actually a pretty good site. There's also fanfiction.net, but it's very hard to pick the good stories among the bad ones there.
Matthias

RossRoy

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 10:51:31 PM »
That's not weird either, that's fan fiction.

I love these, but you are right in that it is very daunting to trudge through the bad stuff to find the gems.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 12:02:58 AM »
I knew there was FanFic out there but I always thought it's mostly within the fictional universe. E.g. other Lana/Clark or Buffy/Angel stories and so on.

I've read the whole evening and while they don't have a very high literal standard, I liked some of the ideas the people had.

I am not a big writer myself, I am always glad when I've managed to get three lines per episode into the marathon reviews.

But at least I know now what I will do tomorrow when against all hope I have again nothing to do.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 10:03:13 AM »
I've read the whole evening and while they don't have a very high literal standard, I liked some of the ideas the people had.

It varies greatly. The Top Fic list at TtH is a good starting point, but it favours the bigger stories. I cannot login there right now, but off the top of my head I can recommend:

Far Beyond Normal - Buffy/Stargate crossover.
Father Goose and the Black Knight - Buffy/L&O:SVU

Both are pretty big stories and well-written. If you look for literary excellence, you have to dig a bit. But there are some smaller pieces that are truly impressive.
Matthias