Author Topic: Tom's Glee Marathon  (Read 17424 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Tom's Glee Marathon
« on: August 05, 2012, 10:47:20 PM »
     Glee: Season One (2009/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment (United Kingdom)
Length:968 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.78
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
Subtitles:French, Finnish, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish, Danish, English

Plot:
Join the club and bring home the fun with Glee Karaoke and Glee Jukebox – available only on DVD and Bl-ray! A talented group of high school misfits transforms into a performing sensation with the help of a dedicated teacher. Through laughter, tears, irreverent humor and unforgettable music, they learn to follow their hearts and chase their dreams.

Glee
Season 1.01 Pilot
Writer: Ryan Murphy (Created By), Brad Falchuk (Created By), Ian Brennan (Created By), Ryan Murphy (Writer), Brad Falchuk (Writer), Ian Brennan (Writer)
Director: Ryan Murphy
Cast: Dianna Agron (Quinn Fabray), Chris Colfer (Kurt Hummel), Jessalyn Gilsig (Terri Schuester), Jane Lynch (Sue Sylvester), Jayma Mays (Emma Pillsbury), Kevin McHale (Arty Abrams), Lea Michele (Rachel Berry), Cory Monteith (Finn Hudson), Matthew Morrison (Will Schuester), Amber Riley (Mercedes Jones), Mark Salling (Noah "Puck" Puckerman), Jenna Ushkowitz (Tina Cohen-Chang), Stephen Tobolowsky (Sandy Ryerson), Patrick Gallagher (Ken Tanaka), Iqbal Theba (Principal Figgins), Romy Rosemont (Carole Hudson), Ben Bledsoe (Hank Saunders), Justin Gaston (Football Player), Kent Avenido (Howard), Jane Galloway Heitz (Lillian Adler), Melanie Henderson (Barb), Aaron Hendry (Darren), Jerry Phillips (Young Finn), Naya Rivera (Santana Lopez)

Next month season 3 of Glee is coming out on Blu-ray, so I thought I'd make a slow marathon out of it, Glee is a show I enjoy very much, especially the first two seasons. Season 3 was a bit of a let-down. I am curious how the fourth season will continue, as there probably will be a major shift in the show. Originally it was planned that after the characters graduate High School, they will introduce new characters and let the old characters leave. As it turns out, they decided to follow the old characters anyway, in addition to introducing new characters. This can fail horribly, but I am still hopeful, that they use the change in direction to get the show interesting again.
Even though I enjoy this show, I admit it has major flaws. I will try to mention the stuff which bothers me.

I will try something new this time around, to hopefully add more thoughts on an episode than a simple "I liked/didn't like it". I will use categories. I probably will add additional ones later on, or remove some.

Finncompetence:
Finn is the jock, who joins the Glee club. It is noticable, that the character is supposed to be the talented jock, who is the leader of the club. But he usually fails in many regards. He makes stupid decisions. Is acting completely clueless. Doesn't really sing well, in my opinion. And is the one in the cast who can't dance to save his life. A fact the producers only noticed when they started shooting. So I like to use this category to list some instances where Finn's incompetence to live up to what is expected of the character shows.
In the pilot, Rachel (the best singer in the Glee club with aspirations to star on Broadway) mentions that they need a male lead who can keep up with her vocally. And Mr. Schuester enlists Finn for this. Luckily for him the first major song they sing together is within his vocal range. He can do rock songs. It's the only type of songs I enjoy him doing.

Brittana:
Glee fans put together the name of two characters to build up names for couples. Brittana is short for Brittany/Santana. As you can guess, this is my favorite couple on the show. And it wasn't even planned, but the two characters just had so much great chemistry during the first season, that this couple just came to be. Huge part of this is due to the fact, that the two actresses playing these characters became best friends in real life, and that showed up on-screen. During the first season they were often (background) scene stealers because of their interaction.
The pilot doesn't have any of it yet, because Heather Morris, who plays Brittany was not cast yet. She was added to the cast with the second episode. Also Santana only has a few short scenes and doesn't say much yet.

Continuity:
Glee often has problems keeping their continuity in line. Mostly not that bothering, but I will mention some which bother me, when thinking more about it. The producers like to twist established facts to fit the current stories, or like to forget or mess up introduced storylines.
Two things I'd like to mention here regarding the pilot:
- The principal mentions that it costs $60 a month to keep Glee club alive. It is made clear throughout the season, that they do not have much of a budget. But still they often manage to have elaborate stage sets and clothes.
- A minor thing: Pictures of Rachel's dads are shown in this episode. But when the characters are finally shown for the first time in season three, they look completely different.

Notable music:
Not much yet. I like that the use two Journey songs here, which are again used in the season one finale. This brings a nice full circle to the season. One of the songs in not sung by the characters here, but will be in the finale. The other song is song here and is the signature song of Glee. It will be done again in the finale.
The song is "Don't Stop Believing", and always enjoyed it:

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Tom's Glee Marathon
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 11:41:23 PM »
Glee
Season 1.02 Showmance
Writer: Ryan Murphy (Created By), Brad Falchuk (Created By), Ian Brennan (Created By), Ryan Murphy (Writer), Brad Falchuk (Writer), Ian Brennan (Writer)
Cast: Dianna Agron (Quinn Fabray), Chris Colfer (Kurt Hummel), Jessalyn Gilsig (Terri Schuester), Jane Lynch (Sue Sylvester), Jayma Mays (Emma Pillsbury), Kevin McHale (Arty Abrams), Lea Michele (Rachel Berry), Cory Monteith (Finn Hudson), Matthew Morrison (Will Schuester), Amber Riley (Mercedes Jones), Mark Salling (Noah "Puck" Puckerman), Jenna Ushkowitz (Tina Cohen-Chang), Patrick Gallagher (Ken Tanaka), Iqbal Theba (Principal Figgins), Jennifer Aspen (Kendra Giardi), Romy Rosemont (Carole Hudson), Naya Rivera (Santana Lopez), Heather Morris (Brittany Pierce), Ken Choi (Dr. Wu), Valorie Hubbard (Peggy), Ethan Freedman (Giardi Triplet #1), Aidan Freedman (Giardi Triplet #2), Ben Freedman (Giardi Triplet #3), Jacob Hashem (Amir), Michael Loeffelholz (Phil), Josh Sussman (Jacob Ben Israel)

Finncompetence:
I decided to write also about Mr. Shue in this category. He is often celebrating as being a great teacher (in-universe), but actually he is rather bad. Alone in this episode he is very oblivious to Kurt being bullied in front of his eyes. And he is completely disregarding any protests about his song choices by his students. At least the last one he acknowledges at the end of the episode and apologizes.

Annoying characters:
Mercedes is the first character which starts to annoy me here. Here "Hell to the No"-stick really annoys me.

Tina-Watch:
A category I probably will mention from time to time. Tina is one of the regular characters which gets neglected the most (they even acknowledge this in a third season episode). I don't remember her having any lines in this episode, for example.

Brittana:
First appearance of Brittany. Most notable scene is her and Santana singing background for Quinn's audition for the Glee club. All three of them join the club in this episode.

Continuity:
Sue is always coming up with ludicrious claims about herself. But they usually get discredited later in the series. Like here she claims that she "euthanised" her mother. Her mother appears in the second season though.
What is an error though is the source of Emma's OCD. The one stated here is different to the one we learn in later seasons (as far as I remember).

Stupid Storylines:
The first stupid storyline starts in this episode: Terri's (Will Shuester's wife) fake pregnancy.

Notable music:
This episode focuses a little on rap music. The first season is infamous among fans for the raps done by the teacher, Mr. Shue. I am not really a fan of rap, so I cannot tell if he is really that bad. His song in this episode is "Gold Digger". It was okay to listen to but this song is not on my Glee playlist.
What I enjoyed though was the club's rendition of "Push It".
My favorite song of this episode though is "Take a Bow". The video shows how the songs are often incoporated into an episode. As a general rule, a song in Glee is either done on stage, in the Glee club room, or it is in the head of the singer. It often is a mixture of those.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 09:51:07 PM »
Glee
Season 1.03 Acafellas
Writer: Ryan Murphy (Created By), Brad Falchuk (Created By), Ian Brennan (Created By), Ryan Murphy (Writer)
Director: John Scott
Cast: Dianna Agron (Quinn Fabray), Chris Colfer (Kurt Hummel), Jessalyn Gilsig (Terri Schuester), Jane Lynch (Sue Sylvester), Jayma Mays (Emma Pillsbury), Kevin McHale (Arty Abrams), Lea Michele (Rachel Berry), Cory Monteith (Finn Hudson), Matthew Morrison (Will Schuester), Amber Riley (Mercedes Jones), Mark Salling (Noah "Puck" Puckerman), Jenna Ushkowitz (Tina Cohen-Chang), Josh Groban (Himself), Stephen Tobolowsky (Sandy Ryerson), Patrick Gallagher (Ken Tanaka), Iqbal Theba (Principal Figgins), Debra Monk (Will's Mother), John Lloyd Young (Henri St. Pierre), Naya Rivera (Santana Lopez), Heather Morris (Brittany Pierce), Whit Hertford (Dakota Stanley), Clint Culp (Teamster), Victor Garber (Will's Father), Kent Avenido (Howard Bamboo), Marie Caldare (Mrs. Holloway), Maxine English (Mrs. Robinson), Gregory Hinton (Flex, the Bodyguard), Brooke Newton (Leggy Blonde), Vivian Nixon (Andrea), Shelby Rabara (Shoshandra)

This episode is one of my least favorite of the first season. I found it a little strange that Mercedes didn't catch on at all that Kurt is gay.

Notable music: None.
Theme in this episode is hip hop. Not one of the songs in this episode managed to get on my playlist. Mr. Shuster is neglecting his students to be in a boy band called Acafellas with some fellow teachers.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 09:51:30 PM »
Glee
Season 1.04 Preggers
Writer: Ryan Murphy (Created By), Brad Falchuk (Created By), Ian Brennan (Created By), Brad Falchuk (Writer)
Director: Brad Falchuk
Cast: Dianna Agron (Quinn Fabray), Chris Colfer (Kurt Hummel), Jessalyn Gilsig (Terri Schuester), Jane Lynch (Sue Sylvester), Jayma Mays (Emma Pillsbury), Kevin McHale (Arty Abrams), Lea Michele (Rachel Berry), Cory Monteith (Finn Hudson), Matthew Morrison (Will Schuester), Amber Riley (Mercedes Jones), Mark Salling (Noah "Puck" Puckerman), Jenna Ushkowitz (Tina Cohen-Chang), Stephen Tobolowsky (Sandy Ryerson), Patrick Gallagher (Ken Tanaka), Mike O'Malley (Burt Hummel), Iqbal Theba (Principal Figgins), Jennifer Aspen (Kendra Giardi), Kurt Fuller (Mr. McClung), Naya Rivera (Santana Lopez), Heather Morris (Brittany Pierce), Harry Shum, Jr. (Mike Chang), Dijon Talton (Matt Rutherford), Earlene Davis (Andrea Carmichael), Hisonni Johnson (Nick), Bill A. Jones (Rod Remington), Frank Pacheco (Jerky Player)

This episode was a turning point for me for this series. Before this I thought it was nice, but not really great. But this episode surprised me. Especially the ending. It has shown me for the first time that Glee can have great moments, which makes it worth to watch even if it often has stupid moments.

Heather Morris, who plays Brittany, was first hired because of this episode. Her only job originally was to instruct the actors to do the Single Ladies dance, as she herself was dancing it with Beyoncé on her tour. Though then she was also hired as an actor as there was still an opening for a cheerleader character.

This episode also introduces "Sue's Corner". A segment on the local news TV program hosted by the Glee club's rival, the cheerleader coach Sue Sylvester played by Jane Lynch. The segments are hilariously politically incorrect.

In this episode Kurt's father Burt is introduced. At first he appears to be the stereotypical redneck, who would never be able to accept a gay son. When at the end Kurt started to come out to his father, the first time I watched the episode I expected a huge backlash. But then the episode surprised. The reaction of Burt was a simple "I know".
And that he still loves him. He will turn out to be one of the best characters of the entire series. How he constantly supports his son against bullying and other discriminations, even though he himself is not 100% percent comfortable yet that his son his gay.

Another character which gets some depths is Puck. Introduced as the series bad boy, he shows his good side here when he tries to be supportive when he learns that Quinn is pregnant with his baby.

Tina-Watch:
Tina has a storyline here. Which will be dropped soon after. Mr. Shue tries to get her into a more vital role in the Glee club. He seems to drop this agenda after this episode and Tina is doomed to be a background character.

Finncompetent:
He really believes Quinn story, that he got Quinn pregnant even though they never had intercourse, only because there were in a hot tub together making out, where he then ejaculated.

Notable music:
This episode hardly contains music. It includes Single Ladies from Beyoncé, but it is not sung by the cast. Only danced to by Kurt, Tina and Brittany and later the football players. There is only a few seconds of a songs sung by cast members. One of them is Rachel is singing a Celine Dion song ("Taking Chances") for a musical audition. I liked it.

Rating:
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 06:18:46 PM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 09:51:54 PM »
Glee
Season 1.05 The Rodes Not Taken
Writer: Ryan Murphy (Created By), Brad Falchuk (Created By), Ian Brennan (Created By), Ian Brennan (Writer)
Director: John Scott
Cast: Dianna Agron (Quinn Fabray), Chris Colfer (Kurt Hummel), Jessalyn Gilsig (Terri Schuester), Jane Lynch (Sue Sylvester), Jayma Mays (Emma Pillsbury), Kevin McHale (Arty Abrams), Lea Michele (Rachel Berry), Cory Monteith (Finn Hudson), Matthew Morrison (Will Schuester), Amber Riley (Mercedes Jones), Mark Salling (Noah "Puck" Puckerman), Jenna Ushkowitz (Tina Cohen-Chang), Kristin Chenoweth (April Rhodes), Stephen Tobolowsky (Sandy Ryerson), Iqbal Theba (Principal Figgins), Naya Rivera (Santana Lopez), Heather Morris (Brittany Pierce), Harry Shum, Jr. (Mike Chang), Dijon Talton (Matt Rutherford), Jayson Blair (Chris), Susan Leslie (Sandra), Josh Sussman (Jacob Ben Israel), Larry Udy (Barry the Bartender)

The best episode up to this point. It guest stars Kristin Chenoweth as April Rhodes, who I know from Pushing Daisies. She has quite a few songs here. Before this I didn't know that she is also a Broadway star. She starred in Wicked, together with Idina Menzel (who will also have a recurring role later in this season).
Will Schuester and Emma Pillsbury (the school's guidance counselor) have some really great scenes in this episode.

Finncompetence:
Believe it or not, Finn has to tell Will Schuester how to do his job.

Notable music:
Quite a few which I enjoyed. Like Will and April's "Alone" is quite good. I also liked her performance of "Last Name" she did with the rest of the Glee club.
Also a great moment is the Glee club's performance of Queen's "Somebody to Love". I especially love Emma's reaction when she sees that Rachel has rejoined the Glee club. They had a falling out the previous episode. The weak part of this song is of course Finn, who almost ruins the song for me.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 11:09:41 PM »
Glee
Season 1.06 Vitamin D
Writer: Ryan Murphy (Created By), Brad Falchuk (Created By), Ian Brennan (Created By), Ryan Murphy (Writer)
Director: Elodie Keene
Cast: Dianna Agron (Quinn Fabray), Chris Colfer (Kurt Hummel), Jessalyn Gilsig (Terri Schuester), Jane Lynch (Sue Sylvester), Jayma Mays (Emma Pillsbury), Kevin McHale (Arty Abrams), Lea Michele (Rachel Berry), Cory Monteith (Finn Hudson), Matthew Morrison (Will Schuester), Amber Riley (Mercedes Jones), Mark Salling (Noah "Puck" Puckerman), Jenna Ushkowitz (Tina Cohen-Chang), Patrick Gallagher (Ken Tanaka), Iqbal Theba (Principal Figgins), Naya Rivera (Santana Lopez), Heather Morris (Brittany Pierce), Harry Shum, Jr. (Mike Chang), Dijon Talton (Matt Rutherford), Kent Avenido (Howard Bamboo), Joe Hursley (Joe)

A good episode. Sue is becoming quite the adversary for the glee club.

Notable music:
This is the first time that they are doing so-called Mash-Ups: Taking two songs and mixing them and make one new song. Here there are doing it in form of a competition between the girls and the guys of the glee club. Each have to do one mash-up song. Though I enjoyed the one the girls did ("Walking on Sunshine/Halo"), I enjoyed the boys' song more ("It's My Life/Confessions").

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 02:01:45 PM »
Glee
Season 1.07 Throwdown
Writer: Ryan Murphy (Created By), Brad Falchuk (Created By), Ian Brennan (Created By), Brad Falchuk (Writer)
Cast: Dianna Agron (Quinn Fabray), Chris Colfer (Kurt Hummel), Jessalyn Gilsig (Terri Schuester), Jane Lynch (Sue Sylvester), Jayma Mays (Emma Pillsbury), Kevin McHale (Arty Abrams), Lea Michele (Rachel Berry), Cory Monteith (Finn Hudson), Matthew Morrison (Will Schuester), Amber Riley (Mercedes Jones), Mark Salling (Noah "Puck" Puckerman), Jenna Ushkowitz (Tina Cohen-Chang), Iqbal Theba (Principal Figgins), Jennifer Aspen (Kendra Giardi), Amy Hill (Dr. Chin), Naya Rivera (Santana Lopez), Heather Morris (Brittany Pierce), Harry Shum, Jr. (Mike Chang), Dijon Talton (Matt Rutherford), Kenneth Choi (Dr. Wu), Josh Sussman (Jacob Ben Israel), Ethan Freedman (Giardi Triplet #1), Aidan Freedman (Giardi Triplet #2), Ben Freedman (Giardi Triplet #3), Jennifer Jean Snyder (Reporter)

Finncompetent:
Finn wants to name his baby "Drizzle".
This episode acknowledges the first time that Finn has two left feet.

Brittana:
They hug in the background when they have to go to their separate group.

Favorite moments:
I really like the scene where Rachel confronts Quinn.

Notable music:
I really like the scene, where the actors are goofing off singing a song. The only time we can see them singing without it being a studio recording:

Also otherwise this episode has some good songs. I like best the Avril Lavigne cover of "Keep Holding On".

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 02:04:06 PM »
Glee
Season 1.08 Mash-Up
Writer: Ryan Murphy (Created By), Brad Falchuk (Created By), Ian Brennan (Created By), Ian Brennan (Writer)
Cast: Dianna Agron (Quinn Fabray), Chris Colfer (Kurt Hummel), Jessalyn Gilsig (Terri Schuester), Jane Lynch (Sue Sylvester), Jayma Mays (Emma Pillsbury), Kevin McHale (Arty Abrams), Lea Michele (Rachel Berry), Cory Monteith (Finn Hudson), Matthew Morrison (Will Schuester), Amber Riley (Mercedes Jones), Mark Salling (Noah "Puck" Puckerman), Jenna Ushkowitz (Tina Cohen-Chang), Patrick Gallagher (Ken Tanaka), Bill A. Jones (Rod Remington), Gina Hecht (Mrs. Puckerman), Naya Rivera (Santana Lopez), Heather Morris (Brittany Pierce), Harry Shum, Jr. (Mike Chang), Dijon Talton (Matt Rutherford), Max Adler (Dave Karofsky), Earlene Davis (Andrea Carmichael), James Earl (Azimio), Zack Lively (Lipoff)

This episode introduces Karofsky, one of the biggest bullies of the school, who will get an important storyline in the second season.

Notable music:
Will Schuster is rapping twice. Nothing special.
This episode has also Puck's first solo song. He is clearly a much better singer than Finn.

Rating:
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 11:18:11 PM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 02:13:57 PM »
Glee
Season 1.09 Wheels
Director: Paris Barclay
Cast: Dianna Agron (Quinn Fabray), Chris Colfer (Kurt Hummel), Jessalyn Gilsig (Terri Schuester), Jane Lynch (Sue Sylvester), Jayma Mays (Emma Pillsbury), Kevin McHale (Arty Abrams), Lea Michele (Rachel Berry), Cory Monteith (Finn Hudson), Matthew Morrison (Will Schuester), Amber Riley (Mercedes Jones), Mark Salling (Noah "Puck" Puckerman), Jenna Ushkowitz (Tina Cohen-Chang), Stephen Tobolowsky (Sandy Ryerson), Iqbal Theba (Principal Figgins), Mike O'Malley (Burt Hummel), Naya Rivera (Santana Lopez), Heather Morris (Brittany Pierce), Harry Shum, Jr. (Mike Chang), Dijon Talton (Matt Rutherford), Josh Sussman (Jacob Ben Israel), Cheryl Francis Harrington (Nurse), Aaron Fotheringham (Artie's Wheel Chair Double), Jeff Lewis (Manager), Lauren Potter (Becky Jackson), Robin Trocki (Jean)

A great episode. The first time there is any focus on Artie, the kid in the wheelchair. This episode also has some great moments between Kurt and his father.
This episode also shows the human side of Sue Sylvester, the cheerleader coach and the rival of the Glee club. Will thinks she is up to something when she allows Becky, a girl with Down Syndrome, to be on the cheerleading team. But it turns out, that she does so, because her older sister has also Down. There is a nice scene at the end with Sue and her sister.

Tina-Watch:
This episode is the start of Tina's doom as a character. Her only character trademark they had introduced so far was, that she studders. But in this episode she admits that she was faking it. It's like the producers realized that it was not a good idea and now they do not have any idea what to do with her character.

Notable music:
There is a great diva-off between Rachel and Kurt where they compete/audition to sing the song "Defying Gravity" from the musical Wicked:

Kurt is throwing the note at the end on purpose. It has something to do with his storyline with his father.
This episode also has the first solo of Artie. He sings a cover of Billy Idol's "Dancing With Myself". I really liked it.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 08:15:08 PM »
Glee
Season 1.10 Ballad
Cast: Dianna Agron (Quinn Fabray), Chris Colfer (Kurt Hummel), Jessalyn Gilsig (Terri Schuester), Jane Lynch (Sue Sylvester), Jayma Mays (Emma Pillsbury), Kevin McHale (Arty Abrams), Lea Michele (Rachel Berry), Cory Monteith (Finn Hudson), Matthew Morrison (Will Schuester), Amber Riley (Mercedes Jones), Mark Salling (Noah "Puck" Puckerman), Jenna Ushkowitz (Tina Cohen-Chang), Gregg Henry (Russell Fabray), Charlotte Ross (Judy Fabray), Romy Rosemont (Carole Hudson), Sarah Drew (Suzy Pepper), Naya Rivera (Santana Lopez), Heather Morris (Brittany Pierce), Harry Shum, Jr. (Mike Chang)

A fun episode. Even though I think the storyline, that Rachel is crushing on Mr. Schuester is stupid, I like how it plays. Lea Michele does it great job making this storyline funny.

Finncompetent:
Finn is singing "You're Having My Baby" to Quinn in front of her parents and thus telling them about the baby. Quinn is thrown out of the house after this. Even if Finn does a really stupid thing, I like how it plays. The reaction of the parents are funny. How first they find it strange that he starts to sing. Then they are getting into it until they realize what the song is telling them. Also the scene following this with Quinn fighting with her parents is played very well.

Brittana:
The reaction of both when Santana draws Brittany as her singing partner

Stupid moments:
Tina drawing up Mike as singing partner with "Other Asian" given as name on the paper. This is not something Mr. Shuester would do (it is something Sue Sylvester would do). I hate it when a joke is set up in a way which conflicts how a character would do it otherwise.

Notable music:
The mash-up of "Young Girl" and "Don't Stand So Close To Me", which Mr. Shuester is singing to Rachel to discourage her feelings for him, is fun. I especially enjoy the reactions of Emma to this song (and also Rachel's reaction to Emma's reactions).

The Glee club is singing "Lean On Me" to Quinn and Finn, which I enjoyed.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 08:18:43 PM »
Glee
Season 1.11 Hairography
Director: Bill D'Elia
Cast: Dianna Agron (Quinn Fabray), Chris Colfer (Kurt Hummel), Jessalyn Gilsig (Terri Schuester), Jane Lynch (Sue Sylvester), Jayma Mays (Emma Pillsbury), Kevin McHale (Arty Abrams), Lea Michele (Rachel Berry), Cory Monteith (Finn Hudson), Matthew Morrison (Will Schuester), Amber Riley (Mercedes Jones), Mark Salling (Noah "Puck" Puckerman), Jenna Ushkowitz (Tina Cohen-Chang), Eve (Grace Hitchens), Jennifer Aspen (Kendra Giardi), Michael Hitchcock (Dalton Rumba), Naya Rivera (Santana Lopez), Heather Morris (Brittany Pierce), Harry Shum, Jr. (Mike Chang), Dijon Talton (Matt Rutherford), Michael Loeffelholz (Phil Giardi), John Autry (Deaf Choir Soloist), Ethan Freedman (Giardi Triplet #1), Aidan Freedman (Giardi Triplet #2), Ben Freedman (Giardi Triplet #3), Dawn Noel Pignuola (Jayelle), Telisha Shaw (Aphasia), Lexi Marman (Deaf Choir #1), Nilson Avalos (Deaf Choir #2), Joshua Segovia (Deaf Choir #3), Maj Lesti (Deaf Choir #4), Weston Mueller (Deaf Choir #5), Tommy Korn (Deaf Choir #6), Gianni Manganelli (Deaf Choir #7), Jade Fowler (Deaf Choir #8), Emilee Wallace (Deaf Choir #9), Marco Duarte (Deaf Choir #10), Treshelle Edmond (Deaf Choir #11)

An okay episode with some funny moments.

Notable music:
"Imagine" sung by the deaf choir together with the Glee kids is a very nice moment.

I also enjoyed the last song in this episode: "True Colors". And Tina gets to sing it. A rare occation.

Rating:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 09:18:36 AM »
I wonder what Pete's making of this thread.  :tease:

I like it btw. :)
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 10:05:08 AM »
I wonder what Pete's making of this thread.  :tease:

He adds it to his Horror-Marathon  :laugh:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 06:18:02 PM »
Glee
Season 1.12 Mattress
Cast: Dianna Agron (Quinn Fabray), Chris Colfer (Kurt Hummel), Jessalyn Gilsig (Terri Schuester), Jane Lynch (Sue Sylvester), Jayma Mays (Emma Pillsbury), Kevin McHale (Arty Abrams), Lea Michele (Rachel Berry), Cory Monteith (Finn Hudson), Matthew Morrison (Will Schuester), Amber Riley (Mercedes Jones), Mark Salling (Noah "Puck" Puckerman), Jenna Ushkowitz (Tina Cohen-Chang), Patrick Gallagher (Ken Tanaka), Iqbal Theba (Principal Figgins), John Ross Bowie (Dennis), Naya Rivera (Santana Lopez), Heather Morris (Brittany Pierce), Harry Shum, Jr. (Mike Chang), Dijon Talton (Matt Rutherford), Bill A. Jones (Rod Remington), Chuck Spitler (Randy Cusperberg), Max Adler (Dave Karofsky), Earlene Davis (Andrea Carmichael), James Earl (Azimio), Lauren Potter (Becky Jackson)

In this episode Will finally finds out that his wife is faking a pregrancy, which puts a stop to this stupid storyline. And as he leaves her because of this, this means we will see less of her from now on.

Notable music:
I enjoyed the Van Halen cover of "Jump":

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 06:44:24 PM »
Glee
Season 1.13 Sectionals
Cast: Dianna Agron (Quinn Fabray), Chris Colfer (Kurt Hummel), Jessalyn Gilsig (Terri Schuester), Jane Lynch (Sue Sylvester), Jayma Mays (Emma Pillsbury), Kevin McHale (Arty Abrams), Lea Michele (Rachel Berry), Cory Monteith (Finn Hudson), Matthew Morrison (Will Schuester), Amber Riley (Mercedes Jones), Mark Salling (Noah "Puck" Puckerman), Jenna Ushkowitz (Tina Cohen-Chang), Eve (Grace Hitchens), Patrick Gallagher (Ken Tanaka), Iqbal Theba (Principal Figgins), Anna Camp (Candace Dystra), Patricia Forte (Donna Landries), Michael Hitchcock (Dalton Rumba), Naya Rivera (Santana Lopez), Heather Morris (Brittany Pierce), Bill A. Jones (Rod Remington), Harry Shum, Jr. (Mike Chang), Dijon Talton (Matt Rutherford), Josh Sussman (Jacob Ben Israel), Peter Choi (Emcee), Thomasina Gross (Perfect Engleberger)

This episode was supposed to be the season finale. At first only 13 episode were produced for the season. But because of the success of the series, another 8 episodes were ordered to make it a full season.
And it is very noticable that this is written like a season finale. They have their first competition here.

Brittana:
This is the episode, in which a throwaway line started to plant the idea of a Brittana relationship:
During a telephone conference call with half of the Glee club:
Santana: Sex isn't dating.
Brittany (oblivious to what she is revealing): If it were, Santana and I would be dating.

Finncompetent:
Finn, having have found out, that he is not the real father of Quinn's baby, leaves the Glee club just before there first competition. And everybody is thinking, that without him, they have no chance. Really?! Hard to believe. In my opinion he is dragging down their performance. As later seen, when he comes back just in time for their performance. For me it doesn't look like he is contributing something essential (except if we did not get to their whole performance).

Favorite moments:
Santana admitting that Glee is her favorite part of the school day and she wouldn't have told Sue their setlist so that she could sabotage their performance. I like it, because it seems true. Even though she is more of a background character up to this point, it always looked like she is really enjoying it, when they sing and dance.

Notable music:
I like Rachel singing "Don't Rain on My Parade":

I also really like their choreography to "My Life Would Suck Without You". It solely consits of callbacks to other song choregraphies they have done up to this point. It's the last song of the episode and with that one it is really obvious, that it was supposed to be the season finale:

Rating:
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 09:24:46 PM by Tom »