Author Topic: Total Recall (2012)  (Read 1765 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Total Recall (2012)
« on: August 05, 2012, 04:24:55 AM »
Total Recall (2012)

This is a remake of the 1990 movie.  I tend to keep an open mind about remakes and I have ended up enjoying some.  I know some people automatically dismiss remakes as being bad.  I don't do that.  I went to see this one yesterday morning - Friday - and I really enjoyed it. 

The basic plot is similar to the original movie, with Doug having a dream over and over and feeling dissatisfied with things.  He ends up at a place called Rekall, where fake memories are implanted in a person's mind.  Before the procedure is done on Doug, an armed SWAT team arrives, killing the employees.  Doug kills the entire team and escapes, something that surprises him.  When he tells his wife Lori what happened, she tries to kill him.  She ends up sharing that they aren't really married and she is there to watch over him and make sure he doesn't remember who he really is.  Doug gets away again and sets out to figure out who he really is.  Along the way, he encounters Malina, the woman from his dream.  The big difference is that Mars doesn't play a part in the story this time.  That didn't bother me at all.  The way the plot is changed works really well, and while some things are still predictable, that doesn't make the movie less entertaining.  Lori is the main person chasing after Doug, something else that is different.  I like that change.  She kicks serious ass and is not a person you want after you.

There is a lot of action in the movie and it is done well.  The effects are done well too, with some really cool looking things.  I like the look of the locations and futuristic things in the movie.  I did not like all the lens flare that was used. It was distracting at best and downright annoying the more it was used.  The movie is violent, though not too graphic or extreme.  The movie is rated PG-13, and really not a child friendly movie.  There is a woman with 3 breasts again, and they are shown briefly.

The characters are interesting, though they all could have been developed a bit more.  Lori isn't exactly a villain, but she isn't really likable either.  She does work well for the movie.  I like the casting of Beckinsale, Biel, and Farrell and think they all did well with their parts. 

Overall, I really enjoyed the movie and think it is worth checking out.

I rounded up to 4 from 3.5 since I can't use 3.5 at epinions. 

I did get a review posted there if anyone wants to take a look.

Total Recall (2012)