Author Topic: Dark Shadows  (Read 2209 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Dark Shadows
« on: June 11, 2012, 11:28:22 AM »
Dark Shadows

I wanted to see this movie from the time I heard that it was going to be made.  It is based on a soap opera that aired in the last 60s and early 70s.  A revival of the show was done around 1992 or 1993, but it only lasted 12 or 13 episodes.  I saw that series and enjoyed it.

Barnabas Collins lives a life of privilege and wealth.  He is a bit of a ladie's man, but he doesn't return the affection of Angelique.  She doesn't take rejection well, causing the death of the members of Barnabas's family and the woman he loves before cursing him and turning him into a vampire.  She then manages to have him buried in a chained coffin.  Almost 200 years later, he is released when he coffin is discovered.  Barnabas returns to the family home and convinces Elizabeth to let him stay.  Around the same time, Victoria Winters arrives as the new governess.  Barnabas is drawn to her, but things get complicated when he learns that Angelique is still alive and she still wants him.

I really enjoyed the movie and found it to be very entertaining, though the plot does have a few issues.  The very complicated relationship between Barnabas and Angelique receives the most attention.  That pushes everything connected to Victoria to the background.  She has a much bigger role in the revival of the seies and I think in the original show as well, so it is disappointing how she is handled in the movie.  A few other things are introduced and then not dealt with that well, possibly because of time constraints.  Despite those things, I did still enjoy the movie.  Things look like they are from 1972, when the movie is set.  There is a good soundtrack, with great songs from that time.  Barnabas has an interesting look, with long fingers and very pale skin.  He is able to go outside during the day, but he must be covered by a large umbrella.  His becoming a vampire because of the curse of a witch is a little different.  The characters are interesting and the cast does a good job with their parts, especially Johnny Depp and Michelle Pfeiffer.

The movie has a few issues with the story, but I enjoyed it overall.  This isn't a movie that everyone will like.  Some fans of the original series may not like the way the subject matter is handled.

I did get a longer review posted at Epinions.

Dark Shadows

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Shadows
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 05:02:42 AM »
I quite liked it to, although clealy not my favorite Burton film.

One question:
(click to show/hide)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: Dark Shadows
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 11:28:25 PM »
I quite liked it to, although clealy not my favorite Burton film.

One question:
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)