Author Topic: My Blu-Ray Reviews  (Read 127279 times)

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: My Blu-Ray Reviews
« Reply #990 on: August 23, 2016, 10:48:00 PM »

Title: The Boy
Year: 2016
Director: William Brent Bell
Rating: Rated PG-13 : Violence and Terror, and for Some Thematic Material
Length: 88 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio: English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Lauren Cohan
Rupert Evans
James Russell
Jim Norton (1968)
Diana Hardcastle
Ben Robson

Plot:
The Boy is a frightening thrill ride directed by William Bell (The Devil Inside) and starring Lauren Cohan (The Walking Dead). Greta (Cohan) is a young American woman who takes a job as a nanny in a remote English village. She soon discovers that the family's 8-year-old is a life-sized doll that they care for just like a real boy, as a way to cope with the death of their own 20 years prior. After violating a list of strict rules, a series of disturbing and inexplicable events bring Greta's worst nightmare to life, leading her to believe that the doll is actually alive.

Extras:
Scene Access
Digital Copy

My Review:
Well, that was kinda interesting. Heard alot of mixed reviews about this one, and i really enjoyed the thrailer too. The movie had a interesting story about a creepy doll. And as the movie goes along we get to know more about the doll and the story about it and the family who lives there. Had some good moments here and there (i dont like dolls at all) so i think that made it a bit better. But, they could have done a bit more with the movie IMHO, the pace was a bit too slow trough-out, could have been a bit more scare moments. But anyways, it wasnt the best flick i've seen, but not the worst either. A decent one, check it out for a cheap penny.

My Rating:
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: August 25, 2016, 09:58:42 PM »

Title: The Net
Year: 1995
Director: Irwin Winkler
Rating: 15 år
Length: 114 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Mandarin: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, German: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Italian: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Japanese: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles: Arabic, Bulgarian, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish

Stars:
Sandra Bullock
Jeremy Northam
Dennis Miller (1953)
Diane Baker
Wendy Gazelle
Ken Howard

Plot:
Angela Bennett's a software engineer type who works from home and has few friends outside of cyberspace. Taking her first vacation in years, she becomes embroiled in a web of computer espionage

Extras:
Featurettes

My Review:
Well, that was bringing fun memories back! From when Windows 95 ruled the world, and Doom was the only game out there. And floppydisk was the only thing, no cdrooms or anything. So that was fun, going back memorylane. But other than that (for me) the movie was actually a good one. Not a movie for everyone tho. Its a cool movie with a interesting story with a young Sandra Bullock as the lead. Me being a fan of her, i really enjoyed it. If you are a Sandra Bullock fan check it out, if not.. Check out the thrailer first.

My Rating:
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: August 28, 2016, 03:13:41 PM »

Title: The Witch
Year: 2015
Director:
Rating: Rated 15 : Strong Threat, Violence
Length: 93 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.66:1
Audio: English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Czech: DTS: 5.1, Hungarian: DTS: 5.1, Polish: DTS: 5.1, Russian: DTS: 5.1
Subtitles: Arabic, Bulgarian, Czech, Danish, English, Finnish, Greek, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Swedish

Stars:
Anya Taylor-Joy
Ralph Ineson

Plot:
New England, 1630: William and Katherine lead a devout Christian life with their five children, homesteading on the edge of an impassable wilderness. When their new-born son mysteriously vanishes and their crops fail, the family begins to turn on one another. The Witch is a chilling portrait of a family unravelling within their own fears and anxieties, leaving them prey to an inescapable evil.

Extras:
Digital Copy

My Review:
Ever since i saw the thrailer for this one i knew i had to have it. And i finally got around to watch it. And the movie actually delivers (for me that is) big time. The movie have a small cast, with a "typical witch" story. But the cast works well together, and they made the most out of what they had to work with. The movie had some great moments trough-out. And i have to say - yes it is a horror flick. I've seen people been wondering if it is actually a horrorflick or not. And i would have to say yes it is! Just a great flick, recommanded to check it out.

My Rating:
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: August 31, 2016, 04:58:01 PM »

Title: Eaten Alive
Year: 1976
Director: Tobe Hooper
Rating: Rated 18 : Strong Violence, Sexual Threat
Length: 91 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: PCM: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Neville Brand
Mel Ferrer
Carolyn Jones (1930)
Marilyn Burns
William Finley
Stuart Whitman

Plot:
Nearly a decade before he donned Freddy Krueger's famous red and green sweater, horror icon Robert Englund delivered a supremely sleazy performance in Eaten Alive – another essay in taut Southern terror from Tobe Hooper, director of The Texas Chain Saw Massacre.

Deep in the Louisiana bayou sits the ramshackle Starlight Hotel, destination of choice for those who like to check in but not check out! Bumbling Judd, the patron of this particular establishment, may seem like a good-natured ol' Southern gent – but he has a mean temper on him, and a mighty large scythe to boot...

Oozing atmosphere from its every pore (the entire film was shot on a sound-stage which lends it a queasy, claustrophobic feel), Eaten Alive matches The Texas Chain Saw Massacre for sheer insanity – helped in no small part by some marvellous histrionics from Chain Saw star Marilyn Burns and William Finley (Phantom of the Paradise).

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Gallery
Interviews
Outtakes/Bloopers
Reversible Sleeve, Booklet, Introduction by Hooper, Radio Spots

My Review:
Havent seen it before, but heard great things tho. So i finally got around to watch it. And the movie isnt that bad actually. Great and twisted story, lot "of dark" moments. Some "wtf" moments here and there. The movie kept me in trough-out. And i have to say that this blurayset delivers great both picture and sound. And there is some great extras too. Recommanded.

My Rating:
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: August 31, 2016, 10:35:34 PM »
I think I should eventually get to watch a Eaten Alive... Thanks.

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: August 31, 2016, 11:37:23 PM »
I think you should indeed :) I enjoyed it so =) will watch again down the line.
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: September 01, 2016, 04:41:14 PM »

Title: The Equalizer
Year: 2014
Director: Antoine Fuqua
Rating: Rated 15 : Strong Bloody Violence
Length: 132 Min.
Audio: English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 7.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: English, Hindi, Polish

Stars:
Denzel Washington
Marton Csokas
Chloë Grace Moretz
David Harbour
Haley Bennett
Bill Pullman

Plot:
McCall (Denzel Washington) has put his mysterious past behind him and is dedicated to living a new, quiet life. But when he meets Teri (Chloe Grace Moretz), a young girl under the control of ultra-violent Russian gangsters, he can't stand idly by. Armed with hidden skills that allow him to serve vengeance against anyone who would brutalize the helpless, McCall comes out of his self-imposed retirement and finds his desire for justice reawakened. If someone has a problem, if the odds are stacked against them, if they have nowhere else to turn, McCall will help. He is The Equalizer.

Extras:
Scene Access
Bonus Trailers
Featurettes
Gallery
Digital Copy
Vengeance Mode

My Review:
Well, that wasnt as i expected at all really. But anyways, the movie wasnt bad at all, but the story\plot wasnt what i expected it to be either. But they made it work to a point. Mr.Washington plays somekind of a "different" superhero, he got a normal job at day, but hunts criminals at night. Wich make for a good story, but the movie was a bit too slow paced (for me) to really give it a top score. There was some real cool actionscenes here and there, but there was too few of them. I like that they give us the back story and a reason "why" he does what he does. But they should have showed us a bit more of the actionscenes, it is a action\thriller flick afterall. But it had its moments, not a bad movie at all! But not a perfect one. Still recommanded tho! And this blurayset got some great extras too!

My Rating:
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: September 01, 2016, 07:33:29 PM »

Title: The Equalizer

Were you aware that this was an adaptation of a TV series The Equalizer?
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: September 01, 2016, 10:22:45 PM »
No, i did not Sir. :) Then i'll have to check out the tv-show =)
thanks alot! =)
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: September 02, 2016, 05:49:30 PM »
The original 'The Equalizer' stared Robert Woodward and it was pretty good .. had an english feel list say 'The Saint' .. not the same but more like it than the new 'The Equalizer'.  Not as bloody.  No drilling someone in the back of the head <g>
Thank you
David

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: September 02, 2016, 09:01:38 PM »
Hehe, interesting to know.. ;) I know have to check the tv-show out sometime after i'm back from my vacation, wich starts on Sunday! :D
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: September 02, 2016, 10:24:30 PM »
The original 'The Equalizer' stared Robert Woodward and it was pretty good .. had an english feel list say 'The Saint' .. not the same but more like it than the new 'The Equalizer'.  Not as bloody.  No drilling someone in the back of the head <g>

Edward Woodward  ;)
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: September 06, 2016, 11:52:31 PM »
Right ... Edward ... not sure why i typed Robert .. fingers must have detached from my brain :)
Thank you
David

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: September 13, 2016, 04:35:38 PM »

Title: Concussion
Year: 2015
Director: Peter Landesman
Rating: Rated PG-13 : Thematic Material Including Some Disturbing Images, and Language
Length: 123 Min.
Audio: English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish, Commentary

Stars:
Will Smith (1968)
Alec Baldwin
Albert Brooks (1947)
Gugu Mbatha-Raw
David Morse
Arliss Howard

Plot:
Will Smith stars in Concussion, a dramatic thriller based on the incredible true David vs. Goliath story of American immigrant Dr. Bennet Omalu, the brilliant forensic neuropathologist who made the first discovery of CTE, a football-related brain trauma, in a pro player and fought for the truth to be known. Omalu's emotional quest puts him at dangerous odds with one of the most powerful - and beloved - institutions in the world. With captivating performances by Alec Baldwin and Academy Award® nominee Albert Brooks (1987 Best Supporting Actor, Broadcast News).

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Bonus Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Digital Copy

My Review:
Woah, that was a movie i was looking forward to check out. Based on a true story about NFL and how they coverup secrets about injuries etc. And the movie was great, powerfull story, and there was everything from drama, suspence, even some romance. Was interesting to actually "get to know all the facts" Yeah, every case got two sides. And Will Smith who play's this doctor from Nigeria who fights against the powerfull NFL, hands down his best performance yet. Man, if was great. Nailed it! And this blurayset got a tons of real good extras!  Amazing movie. Check it out!

My Rating:
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: September 15, 2016, 11:13:44 PM »

Title: Now You See Me: Extended Edition
Year: 2013
Director: Louis Leterrier
Rating: Unrated
Length: 125 Min.
Audio: English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 7.1, English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Jesse Eisenberg
Mark Ruffalo
Woody Harrelson
Isla Fisher
Dave Franco
Mélanie Laurent

Plot:
In this visually spectacular blend of astonishing illusions and exhilarating action from director Louis Leterrier (Clash of the Titans), four talented magicians mesmerize an international audience with a series of bold and original heists, all the while pursuing a hidden agenda that has the FBI and Interpol scrambling to anticipate their next move.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Bonus Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Digital Copy
Theatrical and Extended Versions

My Review:
So, the sequal to this movie is soon out (where i live) so i decided to rewatch the first one before getting the 2nd. The movie is a great one. Cool story really, great banter between the cast. And ofcourse with Woody Harrelson and Morgan Freeman it cant go wrong. Fun movie with some cool moments here and there, and with a nice twist near the end. Really enjoyed it! Check it out. I'm looking forward to the sequal! :)

My Rating:

We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas