Author Topic: My Blu-Ray Reviews  (Read 127730 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: My Blu-Ray Reviews
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2012, 04:40:29 AM »
There is a REC 2 out aswell, that i've seen. I will write a review about that one too in awhile.
I heard that part 3 is currently being made.

I liked both very much, although the first one is more of a surprise, of course.

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2012, 12:33:56 PM »
There is a REC 2 out aswell, that i've seen. I will write a review about that one too in awhile.
I heard that part 3 is currently being made.

I liked both very much, although the first one is more of a surprise, of course.

Agree. :)  And i went to IMDB to check out the number 3 you were talking about.
And the trailer looked very interesting to say the least! A complete different story, but a movie i'm looking forward to watch, when it comes! :)
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2012, 03:43:08 PM »

WWE: You Think You Know Me? The Story Of Edge (2012)

Story: YOU THINK YOU KNOW HIM?

You know him as the infamous and ruthless Rated R Superstar, The Ultimate Opportunist - EDGE. But in You Think You Know Me? The Story of EDGE, uncover the struggles and triumphs behind his rise to glory. Friends, rivals, and the man himself reflect on his life, from his days as a kid who dreamed of overcoming the odds to pursue a career in sports entertainment, to his explosive presence in WWE; from his revolutionary tag-team reign with CHRISTIAN, to his extraordinary runs as 7-time World Heavyweight Champion and 4-time WWE Champion, and finally to his shocking retirement after WrestleMania XXVII.

PACKED WITH THRILLING MATCHES FROM HIS ENTIRE CAREER. INCLUDING:

• A NEVER-BEFORE-SEEN 1995 MATCH FROM EDGE'S PRE-WWE CAREER FEATURING HIS ALTER EGO, ADAM IMPACT VS. CHRISTIAN CAGE

• BOUTS FOR THE WWE AND WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIPS, INCLUDING A TABLES, LADDERS & CHAIRS MATCH FOR THE WWE CHAMPIONSHIP VS. JOHN CENA, HIS UNFORGETTABLE TAG TEAM MATCHES AGAINST THE HARDY BOYZ, HIS WRESTLEMANIA XXIV WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH AGAINST UNDERTAKER, AND THE FINAL MATCH OF HIS CAREER AGAINST ALBERTO DEL RIO AT WRESTLEMANIA XXVII.

• EDGE'S HAND-SELECTED FAVORITE MATCHES INCLUDING BATTLES WITH RANDY ORTON, SHAWN MICHAELS, EDDIE GUERRERO, TAG-TEAM ACTION WITH CHRISTIAN, AND MORE!

Review: Well, Edge was one of the greatest wrestlers of all times. Over 11 world championships! At his young age. And trough out his career he was of the most hated guys in the ring. (one of the best heels ever in the wwe) And he had some of the greatest rivalries and some of the greatest matches in wwe history. And WWE have given out a dvd a couple of years ago, with Edge. But that was only his matches. But with this dvd/bluray. It takes us behind the scenes, to see how Adam is. (and not only the character) And there is alot of great stuff on this bluray set. Never before seen footage, exclusive interviews from his peers in the wrestling world. Not only WWE. And there is a interview with Lita, and Christian (his bestfriend.) and Lita as his former girlfriend. Was nice to see. And they how it all started for him. And to the point, were he had to retire do to injuries. And they have his greatest and most epic matches too on this disc set.
For me, this one of the best. (If not the best) dvdset on a wwe superstar ever made. And even if you didnt like his character. This is a MUST HAVE for every WWE fans out there! Just epic. IMO

My Rating: 6/6
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2012, 12:27:28 PM »

WWE: Randy Orton The Evolution Of A Predator: Collector's Edition 2 disc set (2011)

Story: HE'S ONE OF THE MOST DANGEROUS COMPETITORS IN THE HISTORY OF WWE.

He's relentless and remorseless: The Apex Predator. Randy Orton can end matches in the blink of an eye with his devasting RKO, and his brutal punts have earned him the deserved "Legend Killer" Moniker. Now, for the first time ever fans can trace this third-generation star's rise to the pinnacle of sports entertainment in Randy Orton: The Evolution Of A Predator. Follow Orton down the road to WrestleMania as he reflects on his storied career while he prepares for his epic encounter with CM Punk at WrestleMania XXVII. This 2 disc set is packed with new, exclusive interviews, unique behind-the-scenes access, and a collection of Orton's greatest career-spanning matches.

Review: Well, one more epic bluray\dvdset documentary by one of WWE'S biggest stars. And one of the best\biggest heels ever in the WWE history! I've been a fan of Randy Orton for a very long time. Beacuse of many reasons. He's skills in the ring, he's mic skills etc. He's just one of the best in WWE right now. Despite his young age, he's an 9 time world champion all ready. And he's is one of the top stars in WWE right now. One of the most used guys. He's kinda carrying the shows now. And if he keep out of trouble. Then he can be whaterver he wants to be. He can go as far as he wants to. When it comes to the ability in the ring etc. He got it all. But Randy's been known to make a lot of trouble in his past. Something that has been following him trough out his career. He's been suspended a few times. But in the later years, he's started to get it together. And with this dvdset it takes you behind the scenes, you will hear from his coworkers, about how far he's comed. How it was to work with the old Randy, who always got in trouble. And didnt care about anyone else than himself. And ofc we'll hear from Randy himself, why he did what he did. And why he decided to change, and turn his 'life' around. And we get an interview from his Wife too. (Samantha) To hear it from her perspective. How it is to be married to Randy, and his new life \ old life etc. I found myself to enjoy this dvdset a lot! Very interesting stuff is coming out here. That you would never belive.
And the match packs on this dvd/bluray is just awesome and epic aswell!
This one too, is a must have for any WWE fans out there! :)

We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2012, 02:55:50 PM »

The Descendants (2011)

Plot\Story: From the celebrated director of Sideways (Alexander Payne) comes a wonderfully warm and witty film that Rolling Stone calls "damn near perfect." Academy Award® Winner George Clooney* "leads the ensemble cast of the year" (Michael Phillips, Chicago Tribune).

Experience a bittersweet drama about a detached father's attempt to reconnect with his two daughters and their often-hilarious quest for the truth in this "moving, enlightening, funny and unapologetically human" film (Pete Hammond, Boxoffice Magazine).

*Supporting Actor, Syriana, 2005

My Review: Its no secret that i am a big fan of George Clooney's work. So this one, was one of the movies i was looking most forward to watch this year. All the talk about how great it was, how Clooneys performance was legendary. I just have to say (i couldnt keep my expectations down. Again!) I think its a weakness i got  . But the story in the movie was real strong, and i liked that a great deal too. And the movie itself was just a masterpiece..WOW.. And i am a very big fan of George Clooney's work.. And man did he deliver! I would say its one of his best performances of all time. I would agree that its legendary.. How i didnt win the Oscar for best lead.. Well, i just have to watch "The Artist" to find out. A strong movie, but a good movie. With a clear message. And there was some fun scenes in it too. This is a movie EVERYONE should watch IMO.

We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2012, 11:37:50 AM »

Metallica: Francais Pour Une Nuit (Blu-Ray) 2009

Tracklist: 1. Blackened
2. Creeping Death
3. Fuel
4. Harvester Of Sorrow
5. Fade To Black
6. Broken, Beat & Scarred
7. Cyanide
8. Sad But True
9. One
10. All Nightmare Long
11. The Day That Never Comes
12. Master Of Puppets
13. Dyers Eve
14. Nothing Else Matters
15. Enter Sandman
16. Stone Cold Crazy
17. Motorbreath
18. Seek & Destroy

My Review: Well, i just gotta say that i cant live without music. I need some good music. Makes me in a real good. And i've been a HUGE fan of Metallica since i've been a young kid. And i've seen a few dvds from them. Some of the dvd's been documentary, and some have been just conserts. And this one is from a special consert in France. The first one they did in Blu-Ray.. And the songs are a good mix from good old songs, and some of the Death Magnetic album. (Wich was new at the time) And the show they made, and how the audience was in the whole show. This is by far the BEST concert bluray\dvd i've ever seen. No matter wich band i've seen. And this one is a must have for you music fans out there. And if you are a fan of rock, and Metallica. You just gotta have this one! Wont ever regret! :)

We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2012, 11:57:38 AM »

Platoon (Blu-Ray) 1986

Plot/Story: Chris Taylor is a young, naive American who gives up college and volunteers for combat in Vietnam. Upon arrival, he quickly discovers that his presence is quite nonessential, and is considered insignificant to the other soldiers, as he has not fought for as long as the rest of them and felt the effects of combat. Chris has two non-commissioned officers, the ill-tempered and indestructible Staff Sergeant Robert Barnes and the more pleasant and cooperative Sergeant Elias Grodin. A line is drawn between the two NCOs and a number of men in the platoon when an illegal killing occurs during a village raid. As the war continues, Chris himself draws towards psychological meltdown. And as he struggles for survival, he soon realizes he is fighting two battles, the conflict with the enemy and the conflict between the men within his platoon.

My Review: Oh well, you know. I'm quite a big war fan. And there was something about this movie when i was young. I heard alot about that, but wasnt aloud to watch it. But when i finally was aloud to watch it. Man o man. It was a strong movie then, beacuse of lot of reason. But in the later days when i watched again, i understood much more about the movie. And its based on a true story aswell, And its a very strong movie indeed. One of my alltime favourite movies ever! And Charlie Sheen was just awesome in the movie. And after i got the blu-ray version, its so much better IMO then the dvd version. The sound, the image etc. For those who like war movies, this is ofc a must have. And for you guys that are in to bluray\hd. You should get the blu-ray version! I think this might be Oliver Stone's best movie ever made. I can watch it over and over again.

We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2012, 01:06:20 PM »

1408: Director's Cut (Blu-Ray) 2007

Plot/Story: The cynical and skeptical writer Mike Enslin writes books evaluating supernatural phenomena in hotels, graveyards and other haunted places, usually debunking the mystery. While writing his last book, he travels from Los Angeles to New York to spend one night in the evil room 1408 of the Dolphin Hotel, which is permanently unavailable for guests. The reluctant manager Mr. Gerald Olin objects to his request and offers an upgrade, expensive booze and finally the reports relating the death of more than fifty guests along decades in the cursed room. However, Mike threatens Mr. Oiln, promising to sue the hotel, and finally checks in the room. Along the night, he finds that guests of room 1408 can check in when they like, but they can never leave the room alive

My Review: Wow. Going in to this movie, i didnt have any expectations at all. Heard alot of good stuff about it, but didnt know what to think. It starts off a bit slow IMO. But it picked up just great. Interesting story to the movie. Wich i enjoyed. A bit different from the other horror movies. (wich is always good imo) And the movie have a bit of twist and turns too, its just not straight ahead - finished. It happens a few things trough the movie that makes you have to keep close attention trough out the movie. I liked how they did the story. I just hoped we would see a bit more of Samuel L Jackson. But on the other hand, Mr. Cusack was just great in this movie! A bit different horror movie that i highly reccomand! :)

My Rating: 4.5/6
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2012, 03:05:40 PM »

The Double (Blu-Ray) 2011

Plot/Story: Story kicks off with the mysterious murder of a senator bearing the marks of a Soviet assassin, who was long thought to be dead. To hunt down the killer, a retired CIA operative, who spent his career going toe-to-toe with his Soviet nemesis, is teamed with a young FBI agent.

My Review: I was very interested to watch this movie for a few reasons. Richard Gere in a thriller\suspence? Well, that was a first for me. So that was fun to watch. And the trailer looked very good too. And i know the movie is listed as a thriller, but i would say it is a good mix between a thriller and a suspence movie. And the movie had me interested trough out the whole thing. There was alot of twists in the movie, that i never saw coming. Wich helped alot. Not the typical CIA\FBI movie IMO. The plot\story was quite interesting too. All in all a real good movie that i enjoyed trough out the movie. And it is a movie i would recommand you guys to take a look at. And Richard Gere did a good part aswell.

My Rating: 5/6
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 03:23:32 PM by Piffi »
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2012, 05:07:27 PM »
Thanks for the review of 'The Double'.  I have added it to my wish list. 
Richard Gere is a Hit/Miss for me.  Sometimes he is excellent like in Primal Fear and Red Corner and in others he flops (for me).

Glad to get an opinion before I spent the money <G>.  I am looking forward to it

Dsig
Thank you
David

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2012, 05:29:42 PM »
Thanks for the review of 'The Double'.  I have added it to my wish list. 
Richard Gere is a Hit/Miss for me.  Sometimes he is excellent like in Primal Fear and Red Corner and in others he flops (for me).

Glad to get an opinion before I spent the money <G>.  I am looking forward to it

Dsig

Nice :) Glad i could help! =)
I think you will enjoy the movie :D It was a real good one, and for me it was nice to see R.G in something other than just chickflicks etc :)
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2012, 08:51:12 PM »

Oslo, 31 August (Blu-Ray) 2011 (A Norwegian movie)

Plot/Story: One day in the life of Anders, a young recovering drug addict, who takes a brief leave from his treatment center to interview for a job and catch up with old friends in Oslo.

My Review: This is supposed to be a BIG norwegian movie, that has been hyped up a quite a bit. The best movie of the year etc. With a strong story etc. And i will have to agree with the story, it was a strong story. But that the movie is\was one of the biggest of the year i dont agree with. Despite liking the story\plot. They failed a bit IMO. The lead actor didnt do a good part at all. You could see he wasnt used to be in front of the camera. And you could see it on the whole guy that he was "reading" his lines from a manus. (no good) And the movie was waay to slow for me. Wich made the story and movie not that beliveble for me. It was a movie that had great potential for me, but they blew it in to many places for me to enjoy it. (sorry)

My Rating: 2/6
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2012, 12:03:35 AM »

Rogue River (Blu-Ray) 2012

Plot/Story: While scattering her father's ashes at a remote part of Oregon's beautiful Rouge River, Mara' (MICHELLE PAGE) car is towed away. Stranded, she accept a ride from Kind passer-by Jon (BILL MOSELEY - TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE 2, THE DEVIL'S REJECTS). A quick detour leads them to Jon's cabin deep in the woods, where his wife Lea (LUCINDA JENNEY - THE MOTHMAN PROPHECIES, G.I. JANE) quickly captivates Mara and convinces her to spend the night. However, Mara's world soon becomes a harrowing nightmare as Jon and Lea reveal their true colours and the night unfolds into a shocking and spine-chilling sequences of horrors with a climax that will leave your nerves stripped bare...

My Review: Holy smokes! What to say about this one? I got a few of those 'After Dark' movies. Some of them are real good, and i saw this one in one of their trailers and looked like a good horror movie. Not a very bloody saw horror movie. But like a psychological one. And wow, i dont know what to say really. It suprised me in any way possible actually. For a "small" movie, they did a lot out of the movie. I guess for a horror movie they it did it part good. Some of the scenes in the movie was very sick and just too out there (IMO) And a bit too sick for my taste. But other then those scenes that they maby shouldnt have shown. It was a good horror movie all in all. The story started of interesting. And it kept me in trough out the movie. But i didnt like the ending of the movie very good. But i guess for a horror movie, it was well done i guess. For the people out there wondering if you wanna watch it or not. Well, if you are a real hardcore horror fan, why not give it a shot. If not. I wouldnt reccomand it!

My Rating: 4/6
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Offline Piffi

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2012, 04:46:08 PM »

Title: Haywire
Year: 2011
Director: Steven Soderbergh
Rating: Rated 15 : Strong Violence
Length: 92 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio: Engelsk: DTS-HD Master Audio: 5.1
Subtitles: English, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish.

Stars:
Gina Carano
Michael Angarano
Channing Tatum
Debby Ross Rondell
Michael Douglas (1944)
Antonio Banderas

Plot/Story: The most elite clandestine team ever created specialize on working in the dirtiest and most dangerous corners of the world.

When a target of the skilled assassin Agent Kane (MMA Star Gina Carano) suddenly knows all her tricks it becomes clear that someone deep inside the agnecy has betrayed them, but who and why?

Extras:
Scene selction
Feature Trailers
Documentary

My Review: When i first saw the trailer for this movie, i was looking forward to watch it. Looked like an awesome movie. And with big names like Michael Douglas, Antonio Banderas and Ewan McGregor it ofc had the potential to be great. It started of good. But for me it was a bit too much back and forth in time for my taste. I would say the movie is a mix between a spy movie and a Jason Bourne wannabe movie. The story was interesting enough, but it was shifting between going back in time and what happend for a long time ago, and suddenly switch to the present. Can be confusing at times. And with both Banderas AND Douglas i think they could have done alot better. Both Douglas and Banderas had real small parts in the movie. Something i think was a mistake. All in all, an ok movie. But a movie they could have done alot better with. If your not sure if you want to watch it or not. Check out the trailer, and if it looks ok. Give it a try.

My Rating:
3/6
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 08:05:04 PM by Piffi »
We'll Always Have Paris.

Thomas

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2012, 04:53:03 PM »
Wishlisted it after I watched the trailer, but since then a lot of mediocre reviews came in, so it's currently shortly before dropping out again.