Author Topic: Monday Monster Mini-thon  (Read 3624 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Monday Monster Mini-thon
« on: April 05, 2015, 04:44:29 PM »
Monday Monster Mini-thon
I found out that tomorrow (Monday) not only am I off... but I have the place to myself all day and part of the night. So I thought I would have a day long mini-marathon of some horror movies. While I would normally have a HUGE selection to choose from.... most of my collection is still in storage at the moment. So I will have to go with a selection of films I have here in the house (still plenty... mostly blu-ray).

NOTE: If year available these reviews will also qualify for my year long "Within My Lifetime Marathon" and I will just create a link in that thread to the review here.

I do not have a goal on how many to watch for this... but I am hoping to get a good 5 or 6 films in.

Possible Titles:
Titles in BOLD are movies I never seen before... but are listed as horror in DVD Profiler.
As Above So Below
Children of the Corn (2009)
Children of the Corn III: Urban Harvest
Children of the Corn IV: The Gathering
Children of the Corn V: Fields of Terror
Children of the Corn 666: Isaac's Return
Dracula 2000
Dracula II: Ascension
Halloween (1978)
Halloween (2007)
Halloween II (1981)
Halloween II (2009)
Halloween III: Season of the Witch
Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers
Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers
Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers
Halloween H20: Twenty Years Later
Halloween: Resurrection
Hatchet II
Insidious: Chapter 2
The Invasion
Leprechaun
Leprechaun 2
Leprechaun 3
Leprechaun 4 In Space
Leprechaun In the Hood
Leprechaun: Back 2 Tha Hood
Leprechaun: Origins
Lost Boys: The Thirst
Maniac Cop
Maniac Cop 2
Maniac Cop 3: Badge of Silence
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones
Piranha DD
The Possession
Prom Night (2007)
Resident Evil: Degeneration
Rigor Mortis
Silent Hill
Silent Hill: Revelation
Sinister
Sleepy Hollow
Species
Subspecies
The Thing (2011)
The Wolfman (2010)
The Woman in Black
World War Z

There might be a few more in the house... not 100% sure. But this is plenty to choose from. :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Monday Monster Mini-thon
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 03:29:13 PM »
     Night of the Living Dead (1968/United States)
Wikipedia |IMDb |Trailer |
Network (United Kingdom)
Director:George A. Romero
Writing:John A. Russo [John Russo] (Screenwriter), George A. Romero [George Romero] (Screenwriter)
Length:95 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: PCM: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:None

Stars:
Duane Jones as Ben
Judith O'Dea as Barbra
Karl Hardman as Harry
Marilyn Eastman as Helen
Keith Wayne as Tom

Plot:
In director George Romero's NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, seven people secluded in a Pennsylvania farmhouse face relentless attacks by reanimated corpses seeking to eat their flesh. The group, which includes a married couple and their daughter, a pair of young lovers, and an African American man, try to keep their sanity as the living dead try endlessly to enter the house until they are laid to rest by burning or a severe blow to the head. As they listen to news reports of the zombie plague taking over the eastern United States, the ever-decreasing band of survivors loses ground in their battle to both keep peace with one another and stay alive.

Romero's low-budget, homegrown classic went from being unable to find a distributor to becoming one of the most influential horror films of all time. Aside from its visceral impact years before realistic gore became the fashion, the film is also important for its portrayal of a black man as the protagonist during a time when race relations were an extremely sensitive issue in the United States. Romero's choice for the ending of his film also made a shocking and bold statement about the issue.

Awards Won:
AFI (1968)  100 Years... 100 Thrills (2001)

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers

My Thoughts:

As you can see... I have the UK release of the blu-ray. The first thing I notice is the no extras what so ever. I wanted this release be an upgrade for the DVD I already own (30th Anniversary Deluxe Edition... in storage)...But I don't know if I can justify getting rid of the DVD and losing all those extras.

This is one that I enjoy very much. I have watched this film many, MANY times, but... and I may get flamed for this... but I for one prefer the remake to the original. Not because this one is a bad movie... I really do enjoy it a lot... but I just can not stand Barbara's character in this version! What a scared whining.... good for nothing character. I am so glad they fixed this only problem with the original... and made her a strong woman willing to fight for her life in the remake. I know this is a difference of when the films were made... but I always liked a strong female character in movies.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 06:02:22 PM »
     Children of the Corn (2009/United States)
IMDb |Wikipedia |Trailer |
Anchor Bay Entertainment (United States)
Director:Donald P. Borchers
Writing:Stephen King (1947) (Story By)
Length:92 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio:English: Dolby TrueHD: 5.1

Stars:
Robert Gerdisch as Preacher Boy
Jordan Schmidt as Bloody Knife Boy
David Anders as Burt
Kandyse McClure as Vicky
Remington Jennings as Joseph / Ahaz

Plot:
From Donald P. Borchers comes the resurrection of the most unholy shocker of all: It's 1975 and a young married couple - Vietnam vet Burt (David Anders of "Alias" and "Heroes") and preacher's daughter Vicki (Kandyse McClure of "Battlestar Galactica") - are driving cross-country straight into the heartland of Hell. Here in Gatlin, Nebraska, the town's bloodthirsty children - led by the boy preacher Isaac and his teen enforcer Malachai - have slaughtered all adults by command of He Who Walks Behind The Rows. Now two new Outlanders have arrived...and The Time Of Sacrifice is at hand. Preston Bailey (The Crazies and "Dexter") and Daniel Newman co-star in this brutal and chilling re-imagining of Stephen King's infamous tale, featuring graphic footage not seen in the television broadcast.

Extras:
  • None

My Thoughts:

I found this to be an interesting and enjoyable remake. It is one that was done by the SyFy Channel. So it is a TV Movie... though as they have done with other of their films this has extra scenes giving us a little more gore as well as a little nudity in the blu-ray release. In this one Preston Bailey plays Issac. If you are a Dexter fan that name may sound familiar... he played Cody... Rita's son.

They changed enough in this one to make it worth watching without it feeling too rehashed... but left enough of it the same to show homage to the original. I was sorry to see that in this one we didin't see the kids taken over the town like in the original. In this one when the couple arrives the town has already been taken over... actually showed that it was taken over quite a while before.

Over-all this film is worth the time put in to watch it. While I would say I prefer the orginal... I can see myself watching this one again as well.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 08:59:44 PM »
     Sinister (2012/United States)
Lionsgate Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Scott Derrickson
Writing:Scott Derrickson (Writer), C.Robert Cargill (Writer)
Length:110 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 7.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Ethan Hawke as Ellison Oswalt
Juliet Rylance as Tracy
Fred Dalton Thompson as Sheriff
James Ransone as Deputy
Michael Hall D'Addario as Trevor

Plot:
Ten years ago, true crime writer Ellison Oswald made his reputaion with a best-selling account of a notorious murder. Now, desperate to replicate the sucess of his first book, he moves his family into a home where the previous occupants were brutally excuted and a child disappeared, hoping to find inspiration in the crime scene. In the home, Ellison discovers a cache of terrifying home movies, unwillingly opening the door into a nightmarish mystery.

Awards Won:
Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Feature Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:

This one I enjoyed quite a bit. While it is a little on the weird side...and almost feels like I missed something in the end... but it has a good story and atmosphere. Definitely worth the time put in to watch it. Though it may be one of those films you have to watch more then once.

Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 11:17:44 PM »
     Dracula 2000: Miramax Double Feature (2000/United States)
Wikipedia |IMDb |Trailer |
Echo Bridge Home Entertainment, Miramax (United States)
Director:Patrick Lussier
Writing:Joel Soisson (Story By), Patrick Lussier (Story By), Joel Soisson (Screenwriter)
Length:99 min.
Video:Widescreen :1
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Gerard Butler as Dracula
Christopher Plummer as Abraham Van Helsing
Jonny Lee Miller as Simon Sheppard
Justine Waddell as Mary Heller
Colleen Ann Fitzpatrick as Lucy

Plot:
When a team of techno-savvy thieves break into a high-security vault, they don't discover priceless works of art...they find a crypt unopened for 100 years. Suddenly, the ancient terror of Dracula (Gerard Butler) is unleashed, and his first destination is America and the exotic city of New Orleans—a place where he feels right at home. Not far behind, however, is a vampire hunter (Jonny Lee Miller) from London determined to save a young woman with whom Dracula shares his dark legacy.

Awards:
Nominated:
Saturn (2000)  Best Horror Film

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Audio Commentary
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Storyboard Comparisons

My Thoughts:

This is one I haven't seen in a quite a while. Is one I enjoyed alot.... but not one I would call a favorite. I would say it is an above average vampire movie. I really liked how they combined the vampire legend with religion... thought it was very strong and well done here. If you never seen this movie I would definitely recommend it.
Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 02:25:35 AM »
     Lost Boys: The Tribe: Uncut Version (2008/United States)
Warner Home Video (United States)
Director:P. J. Pesce
Writing:Janice Fischer (Original Characters By), James Jeremias (Original Characters By), Hans Rodionoff (Writer)
Length:94 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Tad Hilgenbrinck as Chris
Angus Sutherland as Shane
Autumn Reeser as Nicole
Gabrielle Rose as Aunt Jillian
Corey Feldman as Edgar Frog

Plot:
Risking everything in search of the ultimate rush is fun when you know you can't die. Angus Sutherland, taking up where brother Kiefer left off in the original cult favorite, is the lead vampire in this modern reimagining of The Lost Boys. The seaside village of Luna Bay is rife with outcasts and plagued by an outbreak of missing persons. As the sun sets, the Tribe rises: a group of adrenalin-fueled, thrill-crazed vampires tears up the surf and the streets with nonstop action. But when a champion surfer (Tad Hilgenbrinck) and his sister (Autumn Reeser) move in, dark secrets erupt into hot-blooded passions and full-blooded fear. Helping fight the forces of hell: Corey Feldman in his signature role of vampire hunter Edgar Frog. Once you join the Tribe, there's no turning back.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Music Videos
  • DVD-ROM Content
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:

While it is definitely not as good as the first one. I have grown to enjoy this one quite a bit. I do recommend this one... just don't go in expecting a film as great as the first part. This one is just a good vampire flick. One that will grow on you the more you watch it. While watching this I kept thinking the actress that plays Nicole looks so familiar to me. Guess she should... as she had a big part (a regular cast member) in the short lived TV series No Ordinary Family.
Rating:
Pete