Author Topic: Moneyball  (Read 1996 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Moneyball
« on: October 06, 2011, 09:33:46 AM »
Moneyball

I was interested in seeing Moneyball, a movie about baseball, after seeing the trailer.  I don't like baseball, but I was still interested in the movie.  For some reason, I tend to like sports movies even though I don't like sports.

Moneyball is based on a true story of how the general manager of the Oakland A's, Billy Beane, used statistics to try to predict how well players would do to put together a team with a limited budget that could still compete against the teams with huge payroll budgets..the teams that pay several players millions of dollars a year.  When Billy started using the different way of finding new players, a lot of people in the organization though he was nuts, and he ticked off some of the scouts.  The movie follows how he put together a team, with the help of Peter and then how the team did in the next season. 

Overall, the movie is very entertaining.  I don't know how accurate everything is.  From some things I've read, it sounds like a few things may have been condensed..something that is normal in these types of movies.  Peter is a fictional character based on a few real people.  I did look up a few things and main things mentioned in the movie did really happen.  Some of the games are shown, though usually it is just a few bits here and there.  Most of the movie deals with baseball in some way.  Some time is taken to show Billy with his daughter..and ex-wife.  Some of the scenes with his daughter do drag the pace down a bit and seem to go on a bit too long.  The characters are interesting and the cast does a good job.  The movie is worth seeing, though it isn't going to appeal to everyone.

I did get a review posted on Epinions if anyone would like to take a look.

Moneyball