Author Topic: RossRoy's Random Viewings  (Read 295723 times)

RossRoy

Re: RossRoy's Random Viewings
« Reply #630 on: November 15, 2010, 03:47:43 AM »
As you may have read, I just got Doctor Who S5 and almost ditched Dexter when it came in.

I have started watching Dexter S1 a few days ago, and I was having a hard time getting into it. It was like not much was happening, and it felt like just one more of the CSI type shows out there.

Then the so-called "Ice Truck Killer" got revealed.

Things are stirring up nicely! I think they got me now  :clap:

Can't wait to see how that pans out  ;D

RossRoy

« Reply #631 on: December 01, 2010, 04:47:56 AM »
Dexter: Seasons 1 & 2

MY THOUGHTS
Just a few quick thoughts about Dexter.

I found it starts quite slow. The first episode is great. It establishes everything quite well and the narration by Dexter really adds as it allows us to peak into Dexter's mind. But after a few episodes, it starts to slump a bit, and to wander aimlessly. Then the S1 vilain is revealed and things get really interesting ....

.... and never stop! Right through to the end of S2! I loved season 2! All the cat and mouse chase about Dexter being found out or not. Doakes tailing Dexter the whole time, trying to find his secret. Really, awesome storytelling! Loved every minute of it in S2.

And Michael C. Hall as Dexter. WOW! He IS Dexter. He really made the character his own.

Of course, seeing Julie Benz again is always welcome, and was the initial spark for my interest in this series. Loved her in the role.. but I'd love her in any role! Something about her I find irresistible..  :drooling:

Good show! Can't wait to get my hands on the other seasons!

RossRoy

« Reply #632 on: December 01, 2010, 04:59:52 AM »
Doctor Who: Series 5

MY THOUGHTS
So.. Series 5. New Doctor. New Companion. New TARDIS. New theme song and infographics. New ceative head. New. New. New.

And you know what? I had my doubts but .... GERONIMO!!

Loved it! All of it! I found the introduction to the new Doctor really fun
"New mouth. New rules.".

I loved the storytelling in this one. It was much different from the previous series, but it was a refreshing new take on it. I loved all the little bread crumbs left around in each episode that pay off in the finale.

I love how Steven Moffat plays with time during the finale.

Doctor Who is still, 5(6? with the specials) series* in, a really fun show!  :thumbup:

* yeah I know about the older Who - I'm just not all that interested in the older ones. the new revival from 2005 is so good.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #633 on: December 01, 2010, 05:04:20 AM »
I've recently found Dr. Who on BBC America.  I had been meaning to look for it for a while.  Anyway, I've started DVRing it and I'm hooked now.  I want the DVD sets, but even on sale, they are kind of expensive.  But that won't stop me for long.   :laugh:

Najemikon

« Reply #634 on: December 01, 2010, 11:29:22 AM »
Doctor Who is still, 5(6? with the specials) series* in, a really fun show!  :thumbup:

* yeah I know about the older Who - I'm just not all that interested in the older ones. the new revival from 2005 is so good.

I only liked the idea of the old ones. In practice, I never really enjoyed it, however you have to appreciate it must be one of the BBC's most popular series of all time and is still "canon". They have always had this fascinating ability to build the show around the current lead, so each one is a slightly different flavour.

I loved the episode in this series where he rents a flat! Ok, Amy "Oh my God, look at those legs" Pond wasn't in it much, but it was brilliant and I don't think David Tennant would have done it so well. Just as Matt Smith would have fallen flat in a lot of the previous series.

I also thought the Van Gogh episode was wonderful. Outrageously sentimental, but wonderful nonetheless, especially Bill Nighy's dialogue near the end. I'm no art fan, but it raised my appreciation for what the painter achieved and I'm sure anyone who does understand his art wouldn't fail to be moved.

RossRoy

« Reply #635 on: December 01, 2010, 03:01:16 PM »
I loved the episode in this series where he rents a flat! Ok, Amy "Oh my God, look at those legs" Pond wasn't in it much, but it was brilliant and I don't think David Tennant would have done it so well. Just as Matt Smith would have fallen flat in a lot of the previous series.

That's what I actually like. They don't just change actors but keep the same character. They adapt to the actors style. The Doctor's personality changes with each iteration. And I like that!

Like The Doctor says in the first episode "Still cooking. Steering's off." (in the sense that it all changed - not that something's off ;))

And you know, while I did like Amy Pond.. she was aggravating at times. It's seems she always fidgeting. Almost like she has too much energy and just can't keep still. Hyperactive.

But look at her? How can you resist? That bit where she tries to seduce the Doctor.. how did he resist?  :drooling:

Najemikon

« Reply #636 on: December 01, 2010, 03:25:20 PM »
But look at her? How can you resist? That bit where she tries to seduce the Doctor.. how did he resist?  :drooling:

What's that old saying about "rats" and "drainpipes"?  :whistle:

RossRoy

« Reply #637 on: December 01, 2010, 03:56:02 PM »

What's that old saying about "rats" and "drainpipes"?  :whistle:

:shrug:

Najemikon

« Reply #638 on: December 01, 2010, 03:59:27 PM »
 :laugh:

"...like a rat up a drainpipe" is slang term implying swift eagerness.  ;)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #639 on: December 02, 2010, 01:34:52 AM »
I watched 2 episodes of Torchwood last night from my DVR...still not sure who everyone is...or how Jack got involved in that...but I liked it.

RossRoy

« Reply #640 on: December 02, 2010, 04:15:52 AM »
I watched 2 episodes of Torchwood last night from my DVR...still not sure who everyone is...or how Jack got involved in that...but I liked it.

You'll find out as the show goes on ;)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #641 on: December 02, 2010, 04:47:44 AM »
I have no idea where in the series the episodes I saw fit...meaning I don't know if they are early episodes or from a later season.

The listing thing said they originally aired in October of 2007 I think it was.

Did the first episode have some sort of set up for the team?  Or does it just jump right in without an explanation?

Ohh..one more quick question.  Just to make sure I haven't lost my mind.  Jack in Torchwood is Captain Jack from the first season of Doctor Who isn't it? 

Critter

« Reply #642 on: December 02, 2010, 05:01:11 AM »
It's the same Jack. Torchwood is Jacks spin off of Doctor Who. Sort of like how Angel left Buffy then made his spin off. Well sort of, as Jack was never a huge character in Doctor Who to begin with, but you get the idea.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #643 on: December 02, 2010, 05:03:45 AM »
I thought it was the same Jack...just wanted to make sure.

Hmm..now just have to figure out if Torchwood is taking place after his time with Doctor Who...and how he got off that ...satellite thing.

RossRoy

« Reply #644 on: December 02, 2010, 05:14:02 AM »
In the very first episode of Torchwood, everybody is already there except Gwen. So you basically meet the Torchwood team as Gwen is made part of it all.

You might want to make sure to watch the episodes in order though. It's a lot like Doctor Who. Not necessarily a season long plot line, but whatever happens in any episode has repercussions..

Forget what I said about Jack and Doctor Who's Series 1 finale
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 05:17:49 AM by RossRoy »