Author Topic: RossRoy's Random Viewings  (Read 294991 times)

RossRoy

Re: My Random Viewings
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2008, 10:34:38 PM »
But I highly suggest to not seek out the trailer: It is the worst trailer I have ever seen. It does not even remotely convey how great the series is. If I had seen the trailer before I had a chance to see this series, I would have never watched it!

:laugh: No problem there, I very rarely watch trailers.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2008, 02:54:31 AM »
Did you see Full Metal Panic? Great series with a nice mixture of comedy, mecha action and romance. Even though it contains mecha action, I also highly recommend it to people who do not like mecha action.
What is mecha action? :-[ (Stuff like at the end of Akira...?)

RossRoy

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2008, 03:00:08 AM »
What is mecha action? :-[ (Stuff like at the end of Akira...?)

Don't know if I have the correct and official definition, but to me, it is giant robot action!  ;D

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2008, 03:07:05 AM »
Don't know if I have the correct and official definition, but to me, it is giant robot action!  ;D
So, kinda like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUxDmKFCD2o

RossRoy

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2008, 03:19:56 AM »

RossRoy

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2008, 06:45:10 AM »
Charmed: Season 5: Disc 1

Original Title: Charmed
Year: 2002
Rating: NR
Length: 989 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Stereo, French: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles:

My Thoughts

Episode 1-2: A Witch's Tail
It felt kind of weak as a season opener. Not a bad episode per se, but it failed to really keep my interest. The whole mermaid thing was out of place in my opinion, and I hate it when they try to create tension with something that just won't happen (Phoebe running away). 

Rating: :hmmmm:

Episode 3: Happily Ever After
Now this one I liked. I love how they integrated the different fairy tales right into the episode, and how it worked great in the dynamics of the show. They even brought Grams back in this one. 

Rating: ;D

Episode 4: Siren Song
Another good episode in which every one "evolves". Piper/Leo find a new understanding of each other, Paige reconnects with a part of herself she had been neglecting, and Phoebe/Cole learn something new about themselves. Also, the demon-of-the-week was just :drooling: (Melinda Clarke as the Siren). I loved this episode. 

« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 05:31:53 AM by RossRoy »

RossRoy

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2008, 05:43:04 AM »
Charmed: Season 5: Disc 2

Subtitles:

My Thoughts

Episode 5: Witches in Tights
I loved this episode! Superhero-Witches in tights. The uniforms were great, and it was a great lighthearted episode. Good times!

Episode 6: The Eyes Have It
I thought this rather a rather standard fare. Of course, the always gorgeous Emanuelle Vaugier lifted the whole thing up a little. Nothing all that special there.

Rating: :hmmmm:

Episode 7: Sympathy for the Demon
Ah another Barbas episode. The Demon of fear showing up is usually sign of a good episode, and again, it doesn't disappoint. It's again a good way to further the overall story, and again strengthens the bod between the sisters.

Episode 8: A Witch in Time 
Whooo! Time travel episode! I loved it! The basic story itself is great. It was also nice to see that the Charmed Ones are not necessarily invincible, yet can overcome all evil. A great one!

Rating: :thumbup:

RossRoy

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2008, 02:05:52 AM »
Did you see Full Metal Panic?

Well, it's on order now  ;D

RossRoy

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2008, 03:58:56 AM »
Forgot to post for a while.. here's hoping I remember what I actually thought of the episodes...

Charmed: Season 5:Disc 3

Subtitles:

9. Sam I Am
Paige gets to know the whitelighter in her, when she meets her first charge, a man named Sam. Meanwhile, Cole rashly tries to get himself vanquished by the Charmed Ones. Piper and Leo have problems in finding a magical creature that does the babysitting part. Things go bad to worse when they're poisoned by a darklighter, leaving Sam as the only one who can save them.

I liked this episode, there was a lot going on, and they kept it interesting all the way through. Of course, it again shows one of my major gripe about the show: Cole. It looks like they still have no idea what to do with him. We'll see where it ultimately leads. A solid episode nonetheless.

;D

10. Y Tu Mummy Tambien
Phoebe falls prey to Jeric, a demon in search of the perfect body to hold the spirit of Isis, his dead lover. To trap the spirit, Jeric mummifies Phoebe's body. Meanwhile, Cole tries to save Phoebe by making a deal with the demon.

Meh. Nothing special here. Standard freak-of-the-week fare, although it is probably meant to further Cole/Phoebe as characters, but I'm at a point where I don't care much about Cole so...

:hmmmm:

11. The Importance Of Being Phoebe
After kidnapping Phoebe, Cole's scheming spells creative mayhem for the remaining Charmed Ones as he tries to gain access to the powerful spiritual Nexus in the manor.

Well, that ones a shocker. I actually liked it. And it's a nice reversal for Cole. He's basically bad to the core again in this episode, and that's actually how I like it. The ending was a bit of a cop out, but they had to get out of it somehow, but it still works.

;D

12. Centennial Charmed
Cole's twisted attempts to win Phoebe back destroys The Power of Three. The Charmed Ones must overcome the destruction he has caused and pull together to vanquish the desperate Cole.

Alternate reality episode! I usually love this kind of thing, and yes, I loved every minute of it, even though it involves Cole quite a bit. This is my favorite episode of season 5 so far.

:clap:
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 04:09:29 AM by RossRoy »

RossRoy

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2008, 04:08:52 AM »
Charmed: Season 5: Disc 4

Subtitles:

13. House Call
The charmed Ones become helplessly self-destructive when the Council of Witchdoctors brings voodoo dolls along on a house call.

Basically a freak of the week episode. It's a fun episode, but nothing special.

:hmmmm:

14. Sand Francisco Dreamin'
Terrifying nightmares come alive when a demon attacks The Charmed Ones with dream dust. The sisters must magically re-enter their nightmares to unmask the symbolic meaning of their dreams.

This is a great episode. The basic premise is great in itself, but it also serves to further develop the characters by having them conquer their dreams. And it's a fun episode too.

;D

15. The Day The Magic Died
At a summit meeting with the leaders of evil, Phoebe and Paige discover that all magic - both good and bad - has disappeared. Piper needs her sisters' help after she loses her soon-to-be-born baby to the leaders.

A good, solid episode. A lot happens in it, not the least of which is the premature birth of Piper's child.

;D

16. Baby's First Demon
Demon kidnappers target Piper's baby for the demonic black market, but when their first attempt fails, the demons use Paige as a pawn to launch an attack on Leo and the baby.

Another good episode. Piper gets to kick some ass again, finally. An odd promise is also made about the baby, which I can't wait to see how it will turn out!

;D

RossRoy

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2008, 04:44:52 AM »
Charmed: Season 5: Disc 5

Subtitles:

17. Lucky Charmed
The Charmed Ones join forces with a Leprechaun when they go after a demon who is killing Leprechauns to steal their magic. To reward them for their efforts, the Leprechaun grants each sister good luck.

This has all the makings of a filler, freak-of-the-week episode, yet, I liked it. It was a lighthearted and fun episode.

;D

18. Cat House
When Piper and Leo see a marriage counselor to work out their marital problems, Piper casts a spell that lets them literally see the key moments of their past. However, the spell goes awry and Phoebe and Paige are sent back in time to relive Piper's memories.

This is a nice episode. Somewhat time travel, so it's already gaining points right there, and adding Paige and Phoebe into older footage of the show was a nice touch. Also allows to see how much the girls have grown, and allows Paige to see what she "missed".

:thumbup:

19. Nymphs Just Wanna Have Fun
When a demon kills the Satyr of the Spring of Life, the Satyr's underlings, a trio of Wood Nymphs, escape to San Francisco to find a new leader. After the Nymphs magically transform Paige into one of them, they are all captured by the demon, Tull, who forces them to lead him to the Spring.

Didn't care much for this one. It was probably a filler episode, but it filled me with is boredom. Not even the beauty of the girls could save it.

:yawn:

20. Sense and Sense Ability
While at the fair the Crone turns a monkey totem of Hear No Evil, See No Evil, and Speak No Evil into a real monkey. This monkey takes Paige's voice, Phoebe's hearing, and Piper's eyesight.

This is a great episode. It has a lot going for it: humour (the girls losing a sense), drama (the baddy is after the baby), the overall story arc advances (baby finds new power). A solid episode, and you can feel it is building up to the finale.

:thumbup:

RossRoy

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2008, 05:54:45 AM »
Charmed: Season 5: Disc 6

Subtitles:

21. Necromancing The Stone
Halliwell matriarchs who have been summoned to bless Piper's baby falls prey to the Necromancer demon who has retuirned from the spirit realm to absorb their magical powers.

A good fun episode with Grams having to fight off a previous lover and come to terms with her hatred of men.

Thing is, so close to the season finale, do we really need a filler episode? I have to say, I almost always favor series where each episode furthers the story, over freak-of-the-week type episodes. I can understand the need for a filler episode here and there for time constraint or budget, but at least, throw in some sort of bone in there, especially when the next episode is your season finale!

That being said, I still enjoyed the episode for what it was: fun and entertaining, it just didn't further the story.

;D

22. Oh My Goddess! (2-part Season Finale)
At the risk of being seduced by their vast new powers, The Charmed Ones are transformed into gorgous greek goddesses possessing the ultimate power to defeat a band of angry greek mythic gods, the Titans.

Well, that was a bit of a let down. All this build up to a fight between the "Goddess" and the "Titans" for that? Sure there's a lot going on around that whole thing. I can't really say much without spoiling it, but let's just say that yes, the story takes a big leap forward, yet the episode itself still feels like a missed opportunity. But with the twist at the end, it piqued my interest and I can't wait to see what they do with it in Season 6.

;D

Charmed: Season 5 - Overall Thoughts

This might be spoiler-ish.... You've been warned! (about Cole)

Well, another season concludes. A lot happened in this one, and I'm left with a good feeling overall. There were a few standout episodes (the 100th episode in particular), but I can't help but feel like they are searching for a thread to bring them somewhere. It's like they don't really know what they want to do.

A good example of that is the Cole character. They made him invincible, trying to build the whole situation to something, and it feels like they ran out of ideas and had to find a way to get rid of him. So, they make him create an alternate reality, and vanquish him there, where he somehow lost his invulnerability. Seems like a bit forced to get rid of a character.

At least, in the later episodes, it looks like they might've found something and will be building on it, we'll see when I get to season 6, eventually.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 06:03:29 AM by RossRoy »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2008, 06:05:01 PM »
I like the wink to the anime "Oh My Goddess!" with this title :)

RossRoy

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2008, 07:22:56 PM »
I like the wink to the anime "Oh My Goddess!" with this title :)

I thought it was a nice coincidence that I ended up watching this right after Oh My Goddess  ;)

RossRoy

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2008, 05:31:02 AM »
Speaking of "Oh My Goddess", I have a little question for you Tom. I've been looking around, but can't really find the answer. When should I watch Adventures of Mini-Goddess, in relation to the Ah My Goddess movie and TV series? By my purchase order, it'd be Min-Goddess first, but story wise?

And anyway, I'll most probably be watching Ikki Tousen next.. Wanted to start tonight, but it's getting late, so it'll have to wait.

EDIT:

Nevermind, guess I already found the answer..

Oh! My Goddess (OVA): 1993
Adventures of Mini-Goddess: 1998-1999
Ah! My Goddess: Movie: 2000
Ah! My Goddess (TV): 2005
Ah! My Goddess Flight of Fancy (TV2): 2006
Ah! My Goddess: Fighting Wings (Special): 2007

Still doesn't tell me where the movie fits in all this though... Actually, I just found that too. It was made in 2000.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 05:34:39 AM by RossRoy »