Author Topic: The Skin I Live In  (Read 2960 times)

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
The Skin I Live In
« on: September 07, 2011, 09:48:46 PM »
I went to see this, the latest film from director Pedro Almodóvar, yesterday afternoon.

Synopsis
The Skin I Live In is a typically surreal and downright strange "horror film without screams" from the master of Spanish cinema, Pedro Almodóvar. A plastic surgeon, with many a skeleton in his closet, has invented a new type of plastic human "skin" that cannot be burned. Having tested it on mice, he decides to hold a woman captive so that he can try it out on her. When his partner in crime's deviant son stops by while he's away, the lid is about to be violently lifted on this dark and disturbing world.

Whilst Almodóvar is not to everyone's tastes I have enjoyed some of his films, according to DVDP I have 15 of his films. This film stars one of his mainstays Antonio Banderas as a plastic surgeon who is experimenting with a new skin for burn victims. Unbeknownst to his colleagues he has already been experimenting with a human subject. This film covers the events that occur after he is asked to stop his experiments and also goes back to show why he started down the path of looking for a better human skin. I found this to be a very enjoyable film, the best I've seen in a cinema this year and possibly the best I've seen all year in any format.
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: The Skin I Live In
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 05:35:42 PM »
Somewhat made as a tribute to Eyes Without A Face and one or two other films, I believe. Other reviews I have seen were favorable as well. I may have to watch out for this one.

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 09:38:45 PM »
Somewhat made as a tribute to Eyes Without A Face and one or two other films, I believe. Other reviews I have seen were favorable as well. I may have to watch out for this one.

I don't know that film but have just looked it up on IMDb and after viewing the synopsis I can see similarities however, unlike Eyes Without a Face, there is only one human subject. There is a neat twist in the story in The Skin I Live In, although it is clearly signposted and I guessed it.
Dave

My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 02:02:56 AM »
I thought in Eyes there was also only one subject? :headscratch: I may remember it wrong, it's been a while. Anyway, I clearly heard that that was a point of reference, not a rip off...

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 12:06:30 PM »
I thought in Eyes there was also only one subject? :headscratch:

ooops sorry I misread it  :-[ . You are correct  :thumbup: there was only the one subject, but a few victims which this doesn't have.
Dave

My Library