Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: Memorial Day  (Read 20236 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: Memorial Day
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2011, 06:39:33 PM »
Full Metal Jacket, a Vietnam war movie by Stanley Kubrick filmed in England (:laugh:) made a very strong impact on me when I first saw it and I always liked it better than Platoon.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2011, 07:18:24 PM »
     Sands of Iwo Jima: John Wayne Collection (1949/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Spelling Entertainment Group, Artisan Home Entertainment
Director:Allan Dwan
Writing:Harry Brown (Story By), James Edward Grant (Screenwriter), Harry Brown (Screenwriter)
Length:109 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
John Wayne as Sgt. John M. Stryker
John Agar as Pfc. Peter Conway
Adele Mara as Allison Bromley
Forrest Tucker as Pfc. Al Thomas
Wally Cassell as Pfc. Benny Regazzi
James Brown as Pfc. Charlie Bass

Plot:
John Wayne catapulted from Hollywood leading man to All American hero with his OscarĀ® nominated performance as Sgt. Stryker, a hard-nosed Marine sergeant who must mold a company of raw recruits into a combat-ready fighting machine. Feared by many and hated by all, Stryker's training is soon put to the test in a full scale assault against the Japanese on Iwo Jima - an infamous battle that will live forever in one of cinema's most famous scenes, the flag raising on Mt. Suribachi.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:
Another one I never seen before. But I have heard it is a good one for years. I have to say that I agree it is good. It isn't nearly as intense as the last one I watched (Apocalypse Now)... but it is still a good entertaining way to waste a couple hours. I really enjoyed John Wayne in this one. It is no wonder he was nominated for an Oscar for this movie. Definitely one I would recommend.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2011, 07:23:08 PM »
Agree with you Achim. It's more the first half for me, because I was in my army training when I first saw this film and everytime I felt our training was rough I was able to say that it could have been worst, we could have the Sergent Hartman as a drill instructor. That helped a lot ;D

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2011, 07:26:53 PM »
an infamous battle that will live forever in one of cinema's most famous scenes, the flag raising on Mt. Suribachi.
Too bad the photo was staged in real life... But of course war propaganda isn't nothing new.

Najemikon

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2011, 09:09:53 PM »
Too bad the photo was staged in real life... But of course war propaganda isn't nothing new.

Have you seen Flags of our Fathers? It's about that very thing.

Full Metal Jacket, a Vietnam war movie by Stanley Kubrick filmed in England (:laugh:) made a very strong impact on me when I first saw it and I always liked it better than Platoon.

I like FMJ, but it falls into the trap of a lot Kubrick material for me, in that it lacks personality. It almost feels satirical. In many ways it is a better film than Platoon, but I do feel Oliver Stone's experience benefits the effect ten-fold.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2011, 09:17:59 PM »
No, but I ain't usually too much in new movie (as most people know already) and when I am I don't buy what people would call masterpieces.

The movie was directed by Clint Eastwood no? or I think at something else...

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2011, 09:21:36 PM »

I have Flags of Our Fathers... but haven't watched it yet... do you recommend?
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2011, 09:40:47 PM »
No, but I ain't usually too much in new movie (as most people know already) and when I am I don't buy what people would call masterpieces.

The movie was directed by Clint Eastwood no? or I think at something else...

Yes it was. It's silly to dismiss it, Jimmy, if that's what you're doing. After all, I mentioned it because you must have seen Full Metal Jacket and Platoon, both big budget famous director films. Flags could be a story you're interested in.

Yes. It's a bit dry, but still interesting. It may especially resonate for you now because it's about the same subject as Sands of Iwo Jima, but from another perspective.

Eastwood made it in tandem with Letters from Iwo Jima, which is supposed to be the best of the two, but I haven't seen it yet. It's the same story from the Japanese perspective, so subtitled as well.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2011, 09:49:41 PM »
Yes it was. It's silly to dismiss it, Jimmy, if that's what you're doing. After all, I mentioned it because you must have seen Full Metal Jacket and Platoon, both big budget famous director films. Flags could be a story you're interested in.
I didn't dismiss it, I just said why I haven't watched it... I will try to put in one my order someday since I like, and own, Platoon and Full Metal Jacket (as long it isn't boring like the one with Tom Hanks...).

Najemikon

« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2011, 10:32:17 PM »
I didn't dismiss it, I just said why I haven't watched it... I will try to put in one my order someday since I like, and own, Platoon and Full Metal Jacket (as long it isn't boring like the one with Tom Hanks...).

Ha! If you mean Saving Private Ryan, then trust me, you'll definitely find Flags boring!  :laugh:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2011, 07:35:47 AM »
I like FMJ, but it falls into the trap of a lot Kubrick material for me, in that it lacks personality. It almost feels satirical. In many ways it is a better film than Platoon, but I do feel Oliver Stone's experience benefits the effect ten-fold.
The main thinkg where the film looses me is the strong contraction of the two characters played by Dafoe and Berenger. *SPOILERS COMING UP* Sure, it's a movie and getting a point across is easier this way, but having Dafoe die the way he does is just causing me to roll my eyes.

On a lighter note, I found it interesting that Platoon's protagonist is played by the son of Apocalypse Now's. And they look scarily alike, which I guess means to say how freakishly young Martin Sheen looked in 1979.

Najemikon

« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2011, 01:05:26 PM »
That's an amazing scene! So good it's the poster. :P

Talking about the Sheen's, have you ever seen Hot Shots Part Deux? When Charlie is going up river looking like Rambo, his dad is coming the other way as Willard!

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2011, 01:51:57 PM »

Definitely!
Best in combination with the other one: Letters from Iwo Jima

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2011, 02:36:38 PM »
That's an amazing scene! So good it's the poster. :P
I never liked the poster :P

Just to be clear, I don't think it's a bad film, it just didn't affect me at the time4 the same way Full Metal Jacket did.

Talking about the Sheen's, have you ever seen Hot Shots Part Deux? When Charlie is going up river looking like Rambo, his dad is coming the other way as Willard!
I am not sure if I saw 1 or 2 or both. It would have been at the time of the VHS release and that is many, many moons ago. Sounds like a good moment though :laugh:

I just finished Hearts of Darkness. Very nice view into all details how this film got made. Sheen replacing Keitel, Sheen's heart attack and Brando being a prick. Highly recommended.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2011, 03:28:41 PM »

Definitely!
Best in combination with the other one: Letters from Iwo Jima

But it is good as a standalone as well... right?  I don't have Letters from Iwo Jima. Watching one now... but trying to decide what else to watch today.
Pete