Author Topic: 2011 election disaster  (Read 6021 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 election disaster
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2011, 03:11:19 AM »
I was right it's quite a short list...

So to resume in all the years they were in power the only good thing, according to you, they did is lowering the GST by 2%.

WOW what an impressive record  :thumbup:
Too bad I can't go back in time and changed my vote, because it's the most awesome results I have ever seen for a canadian Government :laugh:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2011, 03:48:27 AM »
I was right it's quite a short list...

So to resume in all the years they were in power the only good thing, according to you, they did is lowering the GST by 2%.

WOW what an impressive record  :thumbup:
Too bad I can't go back in time and changed my vote, because it's the most awesome results I have ever seen for a canadian Government :laugh:

Sigh...  My refusal to continue to play your game is an admission of nothing. You started this thread and the second someone (me) posts a conflicting opinion it instantly turns personal. Like I said, not everyone has a big emotional investment into the electoral process which obviously you do.

KC, they won the election with 40% of the vote because we have a crappy electoral system.  It is illogical that one wins a majority government with a minority of votes.  Regardless of anything else, this should be changed for Canada, all the provinces and all municipalities.

I won't deny that every other government before has done bad stuff but most of the times that's why they were kicked out down the line but that's a different issue IMO.  I see a difference between kicking a government out because they've done bad stuff and voting for them knowing in advance they're gonna do it.

I didn't write my previous post as a list of stuff to pick on Harper, they were questions I was asking you.  You voted for them and you're defending them now so I'm asking again, do you agree with that way of governing ?

No I don't particularly agree with or condone some of the items on your list. Nor am I surprised that they happened. Again, the different governing bodies over the years = same shit, different smell. Your argument that we don't know that if a different party gets voted in that they won't be corrupt is naive. History gives you the correct answer to that conjecture every time. I will say this about Harper... he is as vain a Prime Minister as we have ever had and yes!, he has done wicked things in the name of sticking his finger in the eye of the opposition and quite frankly I admire that.  Politicians in any country are going to use their power to retain that power and that is fact. Harper just doesn't try to hide it.  :laugh: If their actions are despicable enough, they will be voted out. That didn't happen on Monday so logic would dictate that enough people are ok with how he has conducted himself or they think the alternatives would be worse. I picked the Conservatives because I believe they are the most stable option right now given the still fragile state of the world's economy, especially in the United States and Japan where our own economy is so strongly tied in with. The spending platform of the NDP was scary and the Liberals are lost and wandering without direction.

My choice was very easy to make.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 04:43:22 AM by KinkyCyborg »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2011, 05:14:49 AM »
not everyone has a big emotional investment into the electoral process which obviously you do.

Of course, I tend to take seriously the privilege to vote that I have. So I go beyond the slogan to be informed as any responsible citizen must do... This is why I watch the proceedings at the House of Common and the parliamentary committees, read the political magazine and newspapers. I don't let the fact that I am a nationalist interfere with my choice, by exemple in 1988 I've voted for the Progressive Conservative Party...

As I said you have read something personal where there wasn't, but if you think the hat fit you be me guess and try it...

You realize that 61.4% of the voting people didn't vote for the Reform Party disguise as the Conservative Party? So they don't represent the majority... But I guess that some people are happy to say : I don't care for the future generations since I pay 2% less in taxes.

No one is there to control them now so check your little dream world since they can do what they want. They don't care about you anymore, so beware to loose your little 2% who is so important for you...

Nice to see you repeat the false party line about the economy. I guess spending billion of dollars for unnecessary plane for the army (note they will not be made in the country so no job benefits), being in two wars that doesn't concern us and giving tax reduction to the oil industry is good for our economy....

Quite pathetic indeed... but not surprising.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 05:37:06 AM by Jimmy »

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2011, 05:51:11 AM »
Ok Jimmy... you've got me hooked. I just have to know! Who is your choice to be this country's savior and why? You are quite proficient at pointing fingers but are not offering any viable solutions...

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2011, 07:51:40 AM »
Kevin you know already my answer :whistle:

To be honest whatever party you choose none of them can be consider the saviour of the Canada, but do we really need one? But if I have to choose a politician I want one that I can trust, so none of them : Michael Ignatieff is inexperimented, stephen harper is a little dictator and Jack Layton, even if he is a nice guy, is not Prime Minister material.

The last time I've voted for a "canadian" party was in 1988, because it was the last time a real coast-to-coast party was present and it was the Progressive Conservative. Since than we have a multitude of regional party : Bloc Québécois au Québec, Reform Party/Conservative in the central provinces, Liberal party in Ontario (OK not this time, but with a better chief I'm sure the province would became again a liberal bastion) and the New Democrats party in British Colombia and the Ontario too.

So I can't tell you for whom I would have vote if I would have your choices. But if I must go for someone I say the Liberals because of their economic expertise and the way they represent us internationally. Like I wrote none of the party has my confidence so it's like choosing the lesser of tree evils for me...

But bring back a real chief like Brian Mulroney was or someone like John Manley and I will be able to trust a canadian political party.

Be honest with me and recognize that Gilles Duceppe was the most qualified as a country Prime Minister. I'm sure that if he would have been with the liberal party many Anglo-Canadians would have voted for him (maybe even you).

I know it's not the answer you wanted, but I'm sure you understand how it is difficult for me to be in the role of a non-French Canadian.

You are quite proficient at pointing fingers...
I don't do that it's your perception Kevin.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 07:53:43 AM by Jimmy »