Author Topic: Tom's TV Pilots marathon  (Read 168389 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: Tom's TV Pilots marathon
« Reply #270 on: June 21, 2012, 09:42:06 PM »
     The Outer Limits: The Original Series: Season One (1963/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

MGM Home Entertainment (United Kingdom)
Length:1577 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:Dutch, English

Plot:
You hold in your hands an artefact from a time now vanished forever; a compendium of portals into worlds unknown. An eight-disc set that controls over 26 hours of transmission from the 1963-64 series, this vessel has sought you out for one specific purpose: to expand your mind to "The Outer Limits"!

Outer Limits
1.01 The Galaxy Being

This is the first time I have ever seen an episode of the original Outer Limits series. The episode was a little slow, but I really liked the look of the alien being. I can imagine that of its time it was rather eerie.

Rating:

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 21, 2012, 10:36:55 PM »
'The Outer Limits' .. great show.  I was 12 when that show started.  Sitting in a dark room by myself (not much has changed there) watching the first show .. my parents snuck out of the house and banged on the windows during the climax of the show.  Oh my .. no wonder I am so twisted <G>

DSig
Thank you
David

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 22, 2012, 10:38:01 PM »
     The Outer Limits: Season One (1995/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

(United Kingdom)
Length:939 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital 1, German: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround
Subtitles:English, German, Hungarian, Portuguese, Spanish

Plot:
The complete first season of THE OUTER LIMITS, the critically acclaimed and most original science fiction series, is finally available on DVD! Like the classic 1960s series of the same name, this modern adaptation is an imaginative exploration of humanity greatest hopes and darkest fears and includes special guest appearances by Alyssa Milano, Ryan Reynolds, Rae Dawn Chong, Beau Bridges and Robert Partrick. Winner of the Cable Ace Award for best Dramatic Series, this Emmy-nominated show deals with the consequences of such controversial and thought-provoking topics as genetic manipulation, alien visitation and life after death.

The Outer Limits
1.01 Sandkings
Writer: George R. R. Martin (Original Material By), Melinda M. Snodgrass (Screenwriter)
Director: Stuart Gillard
Cast: Kevin Conway (The Control Voice (voice)), Beau Bridges (Dr. Simon Kress), Helen Shaver (Cathy Kress), Dylan Bridges (Josh Kress), Kim Coates (Dave Stockley), Lloyd Bridges (Colonel Kress), Patricia Harras (Debbie), Nathaniel DeVeaux (Security Captain), Deryl Hayes (Policeman), Mark Saunders (Lab Assistant), J. B. Bivens (Mover), David Cameron (Technician #1)

I had seen a few of the early episodes of this series when it originally aired. But I never followed it. One episode which still stays in mind is the one with Wil Wheaton, where
(click to show/hide)
This first episode is good but not something which I found overly fresh (even at the time).

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 22, 2012, 11:28:53 PM »
     [Outsourced]: The Complete Series (2010/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Universal Studios Home Entertainment (United States)
Length:468 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:English

Plot:
Welcome to India: a diverse country of exotic cuisine, fascinating cultures, unique social customs...and the home of the Mid America Novelties call center. Unsuspecting management trainee Todd Dempsy is shocked when his job and department are relocated to the chaotic city of Mumbai. With no other career options, the Kansas native makes the jump himself and discovers that his most important work might just be teaching his eclectic group of Indian customer service reps what being American is all about. Developed by writer Robert Borden (The Drew Carey Show) and director Ken Kwapis (The Office), it's 22 episodes of fun and hilarity where laughter is never lost in translation.

Outsourced
1.01 Pilot
Writer: George Wing (Writer), John Jeffcoat (Writer), George Wing (Original Material By), John Jeffcoat (Original Material By)
Director: Ken Kwapis
Cast: Ben Rappaport (Todd Dempsy), Anisha Nagarajan (Madhuri), Diedrich Bader (Charlie Davies), Parvesh Cheena (Gupta), Pippa Black (Tonya), Rebecca Hazlewood (Asha), Rizwan Manji (Rajiv), Sacha Dhawan (Manmeet), Matt Walsh (Jerry Stern), Shawn Parikh ("A" Team Indian), Sid Veda (CS Worker #8), Guru Singh (Ajeet), Steve Seagren (American Caller (voice)), Nicholas Logan (Madhuri's Caller (voice)), Peggy Etra (Southern Caller (voice)), K.T. Thangavelu (Ruchi), Pooja Batra (CS Worker #9), Mueen Jahan (Lunch Man)

I bought this series after watching and enjoying the movie on which this series is based on. The first episode is very promising. I enjoyed it much more than Mumbai Calling, a British series with the same premise. I am even considering to put this marathon on hold and continue watching this series now.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 22, 2012, 11:29:24 PM »
This covers my Os.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 23, 2012, 02:20:39 AM »
I think I said it before but I can't see or understand the appeal of that short lived TV show... What so funny in the fact the Occidental world is jobless because third world countries citizens work for 15$ a week :shrug:

I don't know but a comedy about the Armenian genocide or the 1929 great depression sound as funny to me... and, just in case it isn't clear, those aren't funny for me...

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 23, 2012, 10:04:38 AM »
The appeal for me is, that as I enjoy Bollywood movies I like to see the culture clash in this series between the American character and the Indians. Even if it is based on stereotypes.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 23, 2012, 11:19:46 PM »
I have finished watching Outsourced now. I enjoyed every minute of it. Definitely recommended. Now I am a little sad that there was only one season.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 24, 2012, 12:13:44 AM »
     Parker Lewis Can't Lose: Season One (1990/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Shout! Factory (United States)
Length:598 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:

Plot:
For most teenagers, high school is filled with obstacles nearly impossible to traverse. But then there's Parker Lewis (Corin Nemec, Stargate SG-1), the one teenager able to overcome any barrier with the use of his wits and the help of his best buds, rock 'n' roller Mikey (William Jayne) and their quintessential nerd assistant Jerry (Troy Slaten). Of course, that doesn't mean Principal Grace Musso (Melanie Chartoff) will give up her attempts to foil the Buds' plans to maintain total coolness!

With smart writing, a unique style, an amazing supporting cast including Abraham Benrubi (ER) and Timothy Stack (Son Of The Beach) and an impressive list of guest appearances, the first season of PARKER LEWIS CAN'T LOSE ushered in the coolness of the '90s — brightly colored shirts and all!

Parker Lewis Can't Lose
1.01 Pilot
Writer: Lon Diamond (Writer), Clyde Phillips (Created By), Clyde Phillips (Writer)
Director: Thom Eberhardt
Cast: Corin Nemec (Parker Lloyd Lewis), William Jayne (Mikey Randall), Troy Slaten (Jerry Steiner), Maia Brewton (Shelly Lewis), Melanie Chartoff (Principal Grace Musso), Abraham Benrubi (Larry Kubiac), Zachary Bostrom (Bobby), Robert M. Bouffard (Delinquent), Lisa Canning (Andrea Russell), Evelina Fernández (Registrar), Sherman Howard (Mr. Lewis), Taj Johnson (Frank Lemmer), Milla Jovovich (Robin Fecknowitz), Clyde Kusatsu (Mr. Loopman), Scott Thomson (Mr. Kornstein), Mary Ellen Trainor (Mrs. Lewis)

I enjoyed this series when it originally aired in Germany. The pilot episode is a great introduction to the characters. Milla Jovovich has an early role in this episode.
Some of the actors I still associate with this series when I see them in other works. Like Corin Nemec, Abraham Benrubi and Gerrit Graham.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 24, 2012, 11:46:43 AM »
     Planet of the Apes: The Complete TV Series (1974/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment (United States)
Length:695 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 1, French: Dolby Digital 1
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Plot:
Based on the enormously popular and successful Planet of the Apes movies, the 1974 TV series has become a true cult classic. Now all 14 episodes (including The Liberator, which never aired during the show's original run) have been compiled and are available to own for the first time.

After their spacecraft travels through a time warp, two astronauts (Ron Harper, James Naughton) from 1981 crash-land back on Earth in the year 3085 – a time when intelligent apes rule and humans have been reduced to servants or pets. Captured by the apes and sentenced to death, they are saved by a curious chimpanzee named Galen (Roddy McDowall). But now all three are on the run, trying to keep one step ahead of the gorilla army led by General Urko (Mark Lenard), who is determined to kill the renegades.

Planet of the Apes
1.01 Escape From Tomorrow
Writer: Art Wallace (Writer), Pierre Boulle (Original Characters By)
Director: Don Weis
Cast: Roddy McDowall (Galen), Ron Harper (Alan Virdon), James Naughton (Peter Burke), Royal Dano (Farrow), Woodrow Parfrey (Veska), Mark Lenard (Urko), Booth Colman (Zaius), Biff Elliot (Ullman), Bobby Porter (Arno), Jerome Thor (Proto), William Beckley (Grundig), Alvin Hammer (Man)

A good first episode, even if it is rehashing the first movie. It sets up the series as a "The Fugitive" kind of story.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 24, 2012, 12:38:10 PM »
    Planetes: Complete Collection (2003/Japan)
IMDb | Wikipedia

(United States)
Length:650 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, Japanese: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:Commentary, English

Plot:
In 2075 AD, regular commercials flights can take you to cities on the moon or space stations orbiting the Earth but there exists a threat that may seem trivial but left unchecked can prove fatal: space debris.

This is the story of the Debris Section of the space station ISPV-7 who diligently collects orbital debris to keep space travel safe. Hachirota "Hachimaki" Hoshino, an Experienced EVA (extra-vehicular activity) worker, toils away at his thankless job, hoping to one day own his own spaceship.

Planetes
1.01 Outside the Atmosphere
Writer: Makoto Yukimura (Created By), Ichiro Ohkouchi (Screenwriter)
Director: Goro Taniguchi
Cast: Original Japanese Main Cast), Kazunari Tanaka (Hachirota "Hachimaki" Hoshino (voice)), Satsuki Yukino (Ai Tanabe (voice)), Ai Orikasa (Fee Carmichael (voice)), Takehito Koyasu (Yuri Mihairokoh (voice)), Aikou Ogata (Philippe Myers (voice)), Tetsuo Goto (Arvind Lavie (voice)), Ryou Kamon (Dolf Azaria (voice)), Kumiko Watanabe (Claire Rondo (voice)), Maiko Ito (Edelgard Rivera (voice)), Masayo Kurata (Lucie Ascham (voice)), Nobuyuki Hiyama (Kho Cheng-Shin (voice)), Norio Wakamoto (Gigalt Gangaragash (voice)), Kyoji Kobayashi (Narrator (voice)), Original Japanese Guest Cast), Nana Yamaguchi (Fadlan's Daughter (voice)), Atsushi Kisaichi (Colin (voice)), Mika Kanai (Sia (voice)), Hiroyuki Shibamoto (Father (voice)), Megumi Urawa (Mother (voice)), Takeshi Kusao (Pickpocket (voice)), English Voice Cast), Kirk Thornton (Hachirota "Hachimaki" Hoshino (voice)), Julie Ann Taylor (Ai Tanabe (voice)), Wendee Lee (Fee Carmichael (voice)), Jamieson Price (Yuri Mihairokoh (voice)), Doug Stone (Philippe Myers (voice)), Steve Schatzberg (Arvind Lavie (voice)), Michael McConnohie (Dolf Azaria (voice)), Lia Sargent (Claire Rondo (voice)), Kate Higgins (Edelgard Rivera (voice)), Michelle Ruff (Lucie Ascham/Sia (voice)), Steve Jay Blum (Kho Cheng-Shin (voice)), Dave Mallow (Narrator (voice)), Dorothy Fahn (Noppo (voice)), Jessica Gee (Kone (voice)), Tony Oliver (Yankees (voice)), Barbara Goodson (Fadlan's Daughter (voice)), Crispin Freeman (Colin (voice)), Mary Elizabeth McGlynn (Female Solicitor (voice)), Lex Lang (Father (voice)), Karen Strassman (Mother (voice)), Christopher Smith (Pickpocket (voice)), Bob Papenbrook (Director (voice)), Steve Kramer (Additional Voices (voice)), Dave Wittenberg (Additional Voices (voice)), Mari Devon (Additional Voices (voice))

A series I enjoyed but not necessarily something I will revisit. This episode has good animation and is a good introduction, but nothing really special.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 24, 2012, 01:16:31 PM »
     Police Squad!: The Complete Series (1982/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Paramount Home Entertainment (United States)
Length:151 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 1, English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:

Plot:
JOIN Detective Frank Drebin (Leslie Nielsen) and Capt. Ed Hocken (Alan North) as they solve the toughest cases - full of all the sight-gags, puns, and non-sequiturs that made the series famous!

Created by David Zucker, Jerry Zucker and Jim Abrahams, who gave us other classics such as Airplane! and The Naked Gun series.

Police Squad!
1.01 A Substantial Gift (The Broken Gift)
Writer: Jim Abrahams (Writer), David Zucker (Writer), Jerry Zucker (Writer)
Director: Jim Abrahams, David Zucker, Jerry Zucker
Cast: Leslie Nielsen (Frank Drebin), Alan North (Ed Hocken), Rex Hamilton (Abraham Lincoln), Lorne Greene (Himself), Ed Williams (Mr. Olson), William Duell (Johnny), Barbara Tarbuck (Mrs. Twice), Terry Wills (Jim), Terrence Beasor (Dr. Zubatsky), Russell Shannon (Ralph Twice), Jimmy Briscoe (Cop), Kathryn Leigh Scott (Sally)

My favorite line: "Sorry to bother you at a time like this. We would have come earlier but your husband wasn't dead then." Laugh

And there is the now classic: "Cigeratte?" - "Yes, I know"

The "Twice"-"Once" scene was also quite funny Smiley

Ed: "Sergeant, take her away and book her!"
Frank: "Sergeant Takheraway." "Sergeant Booker"

Rating:

P.S. This is a repost from our Police Squad! marathon, we did a couple of years ago.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 24, 2012, 02:07:18 PM »
     Polizeiinspektion 1: Staffel 1 (1977/Germany)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Koch Media (Germany)
Length:321 min.
Audio:German: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:

Plot:
Hauptkommissar Franz Josef Schöninger, ein Grantler von ganzem Herzen, ermittelt gemeinsam mit seinen Kollegen Robert "Bertl" Moosgruber und Helmut Heinl für die Münchner Polizeiinspektion 1. Egal, ob Falschparker, verschwundene Haustiere, hinterhältige Betrügerpraktiken, Einbruch, Erpressung oder Diebstahl - die drei Urbayern lösen einfach jeden Fall. Mit viel Humor, bayrischer Gelassenheit und einem guten Gespür für Menschen sorgt das Team für Recht und Ordnung in der Landeshauptstadt.

Die allseits beliebte "Polizeiinspektion 1" gehört zu den langlebigsten Serien im deutschen Fernsehen und wurde insgesamt elf Jahre lang fortgesetzt. Für den anhaltend großen Erfolg waren nicht zuletzt die mit viel Herzblut spielenden Schauspieler Walter Sedlmayr, Max Griesser und Elmar Wepper, der hier zum ersten Mal an der Seite von Uschi Glas zu sehen ist, verantwortlich. Eine Serie, die auch heute noch zu begeistern versteht.

Polizeiinspektion 1
1.01 Und keine Kopeke weniger
Writer: Herbert Rosendorfer (Screenwriter)
Director: Wolfgang Becker
Cast: Walter Sedlmayr (Franz Schöninger), Beppo Brem (Hölzlmüller), Elmar Wepper (Helmut Heinl), Bruni Löbel (Frau Schöninger), Rosl Mayr (Frau Gmeinwieser), Walter Biller), Helen Vita), Ulrich Beiger), Ludwig Schmidt Wildy), Philipp Seiser), Robert Seidel)

I loved watching this series when growing up. A lot of famous Bavarian actors guest starred on this series. It's about a police station in towndown of Munich. With a lot of on-location shoots. I always find it interesting to watch scenes from locations I know and it's interesting to see how they looked 30 years ago.
The first episode is mainly about Walter Sedlmayr's character Franz Schöninger. I always loved the interaction between the three main characters played by Sedlmayr, Elmar Wepper and Max Grieser.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 24, 2012, 03:16:59 PM »
     Popular: Season One (1999/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

(United States)
Length:968 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:English

Plot:
Inside the walls of Kennedy High, there's a war being waged for the most elusive prize of all...popularity. Get into the heart of the battle as Nicole, Josh, Sam, Mary Cherry and all the characters you love (and love to hate) fight to claim their rightful place on the popularity scale!

Experience all 22 episodes of Popular's sensational first season. It's innovative and addicting television that the 'San Diego Tribune' calls "poignant and true."

Popular
1.01 The Phantom Menace
Writer: Ryan Murphy (Created By), Gina Matthews (Created By), Ryan Murphy (Writer)
Director: Brian Robbins
Cast: Leslie Bibb (Brooke McQueen), Carly Pope (Samantha 'Sam' McPherson), Tamara Mello (Lily Esposito), Christopher Gorham (Harrison John), Sara Rue (Carmen Ferrara), Bryce Johnson (Josh Ford), Tammy Lynn Michaels (Nicole Julian), Ron Lester (Michael 'Sugar Daddy' Bernardino), Lisa Darr (Jane McPherson), Scott Bryce (Mike McQueen), Leslie Grossman (Mary Cherry), Sydney Forest (Sydney Forest), Darryl Theirse (Mr. Vincent), Diane Delano (Miss Roberta 'Bobbi' Glass / Nurse Jessi), John Caponera (Coach Peritti), Hank Harris (Emory Dick), Natasha Pearce (Lady T), Chad Lowe (Mr. Luke Grant), Anel Lopez Gorham (Poppita 'Poppy' Fresh), Kelvin Yu (Freddy Gong), Samuel L. Elliott (Stone Cold Fox Boy), Brooke Bloom (Teen Girl #1), Betty Okino (Teen Girl #2), Kelly Miyashiro (Japanese Teen), Corvet Villa (Edgy Latino Boy), Derrex Brady (Hassad (uncredited))

This series is created by the same guy as Glee. Maybe this is why I enjoy both series. It even has some similarities. Like the football captain trying out for the school musical in one case and in the other for the Glee club.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 24, 2012, 04:25:17 PM »
     The Powerpuff Girls: Season One (1998/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

(United States)
Length:291 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, French: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, Spanish: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Plot:
From a simple beaker is born the most powerful crime fighting trio on earth...

THE POWERPUFF GIRLS! (Cue dramatic music)

When Professor Utonium - a lonely genetic engineer - tries creating the perfect little girl in his lab, he haphazardly adds Chemical X to the mix and accidentally creates Blossom, Bubbles, and Buttercup - The Powerpuff Girls!

And now the evil villains of Townsville quake in fear as the girls soar through the air, battling even the most nefarious no-good-doers! Mojo Jojo, The Amoeba Boys, The Gangreen Gang, and even The Boogie Man are no match for sugar, spice, and everything nice!

The Powerpuff Girls
1.01 Insect Inside/Powerpuff Bluff
Writer: Michael Ryan (Writer)
Director: Genndy Tartakovsky, Craig McCracken, Genndy Tartakovsky, Craig McCracken
Cast: Tom Kenny (Narrator/Mayor/Mr. Cooper (voice)), Tom Kane (Professor/Talking Dog/Man (voice)), Tara Charendoff (Bubbles (voice)), Catherine Cavadini (Blossom (voice)), E. G. Daily (Buttercup (voice)), Jennifer Martin (Sara Bellum (voice)), Roger L. Jackson (Mojo Jojo/Prison Guard/Butch (voice)), Rob Paulsen (Brick/Boomer (voice))

A fun little series. Though I haven't finished watching the first season yet. Before that I had some best of releases and the movie, which I enjoyed.
My favorite Powerpuff Girl is Bubbles.

Rating: