Author Topic: Tom's TV Pilots marathon  (Read 167217 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: Tom's TV Pilots marathon
« Reply #225 on: June 09, 2012, 11:42:14 PM »
     The Complete Monty Python's Flying Circus (1969/United Kingdom)
IMDb | Wikipedia

(United States)
Length:1479 min.
Video:
Audio:
Subtitles:

Plot:
Monty's Python's chief weapon is surprise. And silliness. Their two weapons are surprise and silliness. And men in drag. Their three weapons are surprise, silliness and men in drag. And bizarre animation. Their FOUR chief weapons... Oh, bloody hell.

As young men, Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, Terry Jones and Michael Palin showed tremendous promise as gifted comic artists. Then they created Monty Python's Flying Circus - very possibly the most tragic waste of Oxbridge education ever broadcast. If your television ever produces the sight or sound of rich drama or accomplished acting, there is most assuredly something drastically wrong with your set.

But it is clear: no programme in the history of television has brought such enlightenment to the common man. Monty Python's Flying Circus provides a veritable university education in cultural literacy - tailored, of course, to suit those not quite done with evolution.

The world will never forget Monthy Python's Flying Circus. But perhaps, someday, we'll forgive.

Monty Python's Flying Circus
1.01 Whither Canada (1969-10-05)
Writer: Graham Chapman (Writer), John Cleese (Writer), Eric Idle (Writer), Terry Jones (Writer), Michael Palin (Writer)
Director: Ian McNaughton
Cast: Graham Chapman), John Cleese), Eric Idle), Terry Jones), Michael Palin), Carol Cleveland), Terry Gilliam)

A classic. Especially great during the first two series. My favorite Python is John Cleese.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 09, 2012, 11:49:29 PM »
Skipping "Moonlight". I already reviewed it for this thread. And even if I wanted to watch it now, it's not possible because I currently have lent my set to my brother.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 10, 2012, 02:08:09 PM »
     Mork & Mindy: Season One (1978/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Paramount Home Entertainment (United States)
Length:587 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 1
Subtitles:

Plot:
Wild, wacky and operating at warp speed, meet Mork from planet Ork - the maniacal alien of Mork & Mindy, the riotous television sitcom presented in this complete "Season One" DVD collection. Actor-comedian Robin Williams zoomed to stardom with co-star Pam Dawber in this laugh-filled comedy series spawned from a 9178 episode of Happy Days.

Dispatched from Ork in his egg-shaped spacecraft, the lovable Orkan hurtles to Earth near the town of Boulder Colorado, where he is befriended by pretty college student Mindy McConnell (Dawber). Mork's mission is to observe the bizarre customs of the earthlings and then report back to his great Orkan leader, Orson. He tries his best to adapt to his new environment - not an easy task when you innocently wear your clothes backwards, sit in a chair upside down, or blurt out "Shazbot!" when things go awry. It's an out-of-this-world series of laughs and escapades when human being meets humanoid hurricane in Mork & Mindy.

Mork & Mindy
1.01 The Mork & Mindy Special
Writer: Dale McRaven (Writer)
Director: Howard Storm
Cast: Robin Williams (Mork), Pam Dawber (Mindy McConnell), Elizabeth Kerr (Cora Hudson), Conrad Janis (Fred McConnell), Jeffrey Jacquet (Eugene), Geoffrey Lewis (Deputy Tilwick), Dick Yarmy (Dr. Litney), Michael Prince ("The Judge"), Jeff Harlan (Bill), Woody Eney (Prosecuting Attorney), Hank Jones (Defense Attorney), Leslie Vallen (Court Reporter), Henry Winkler (Fonzie), Penny Marshall (Laverne DeFazio)

I bought the first season set because I always saw this series referenced in other stuff but never saw it before. I enjoyed the first season (and this first episode), but I never bothered picking up additional seasons.
This pilot episode also has flashbacks to Happy Days, from which this series spun off.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 10, 2012, 02:45:01 PM »
    Mr. Bean (1989/United Kingdom)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Universal Pictures (Germany)
Length:345 min.
Video:
Audio:
Subtitles:

Mr. Bean
1.01 Mr. Bean
Writer: Richard Curtis (Writer), Rowan Atkinson (Writer), Ben Elton (Writer)
Director: John Howard Davies
Cast: Rowan Atkinson (Mr. Bean), Paul Bown (The Student), Rudolph Walker (The Invigilator), Roger Sloman (The Blind Man), Howard Goodall (The Church Organist), Richard Briers (Mr. Sprout)

Rowan Atkinson is great as Mr. Bean. He does great physical comedy in these sketches. I think the stuff in the first episode comes all from his comedy acts.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 10, 2012, 03:03:22 PM »
     Mr. Bean (animated) (2002/)
IMDb | Wikipedia

(Germany)
Length:130 min.
Audio:German: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:

Mr. Bean (animated)
1.01 Episode 1

This animated series had some funny moments (I only own the first six episodes though). And they captured Rowan Atkinson quite well. But I didn't enjoy the first episode much.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 10, 2012, 04:07:42 PM »
     Mr. Show: Seasons One and Two (1996/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

(United States)
Length:288 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital 1
Subtitles:English

Plot:
Now all the ten episodes of the first and second seasons have been brought together for the first time, exclusively on DVD. Watch Bob and David push the envelope until you want to scream, "Leave that poor envelope alone!".

Mr. Show
1.01 The Cry of a Hungry Baby

This first episode had me hooked on the series when I have first seen it. It's a good comedy show.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 10, 2012, 04:37:47 PM »
     Mumbai Calling...: Season One (2008/United Kingdom)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (United Kingdom)
Length:155 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo

Plot:
Retail tycoon Philip Glass has acquired a call-center in Mumbai as part of a takeover and promptly dispatches the reluctant Kenny Gupta (Sanjeev Bhaskar - Goodness Gracious Me, The Kumars at No. 42) to take charge. He's joined by Dev Rajah (Nitin Gantra - EastEnders) as general manager and purveyor of clandestine goods and services, and Terri Johnson (Daisy Beaumont - Star Stories), sent from head office to keep an eye on operations.

This hit comedy series follows Kenny, Dev and Terri as they fight to keep the call centre going at all costs, whether this is directing a hearse through traffic in Milton Keynes or delivering a baby over the phone!

Mumbai Calling...
1.01 Teknobable
Writer: Sanjeev Bhaskar (Writer), Simon Blackwell (Writer), Allan McKeown (Original Material By)
Director: Allan McKeown
Cast: Sanjeev Bhaskar (Kenny Gupta), Nitin Ganatra (Dev Raja), Daisy Beaumont (Terri Johnson), Ratnabali Bhattacharjee (Sarika), Namit Das (Amar), Naren Chandavarkar (Amit), Raoul Amar Abbas), Preetika Chawla), Vivek Gomber), Siddarth Kumar), Anaitha Nair), Samar Sarila), Puja Sarup), Vir Das), Sugandula Garg), Kunaal Roy Kapoor), Kanchan Pagare), Shaun Williams), Telephone Voices), * Tracey Ullman ( (voice)), * Joe Duttine ( (voice)), * John Standing ( (voice)), * Jo Butler ( (voice)), * Tahira Thapar ( (voice))

An okay series but never clicked with me.
For some reason I didn't notice the last time around, that one of the main actors I know from the movie "Bride & Prejudice".

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 10, 2012, 06:49:54 PM »
     The Munsters: Season One (1964/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Universal Studios Home Entertainment (United States)
Length:966 min.
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Plot:
Get ready to be entertained by America's first family of fright. In this timeless, one-of-a-kind comedy series, the unforgettable family of The Munsters casts a hilarious spell that will keep you laughing through every new episode.

This complete first season includes the never-before-seen pilot episode.

The Munsters
1.01 Munster Masquerade
Writer: Joe Connelly (Writer), Bob Mosher (Writer), Al Burns (Original Material By), Chris Hayward (Original Material By)
Director: Lawrence Dobkin
Cast: Yvonne De Carlo (Lily), Al Lewis (Grandpa), Beverley Owen (Marilyn), Butch Patrick (Eddie), Fred Gwynne (Herman), Linden Chiles (Tom Daly), Mabel Albertson (Agnes Daly), Frank Wilcox (Albert Daly), Lurene Tuttle (Mrs. Morton), Walter Woolf King (George Washington), Nina Roman (The Harem Girl), Paul Bradley (The 1st Guest), Berniece Dalton (The 2nd Guest), Roy Darmour (The 3rd Guest)

A good first episode. Though these jokes will get repetitive throughout the series. Nonetheless I always enjoyed the Munsters when growing up.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 10, 2012, 07:32:38 PM »
     The Muppet Show: Season One (1976/United Kingdom)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Buena Vista Home Entertainment (United States)
Length:604 min.
Subtitles:English, Trivia

Plot:
It's time to raise the curtain on The Muppet Show! Join Kermit, Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, the Swedish Chef and more, in the first season of this groundbreaking twist on the classic variety show. Contains all 24 episodes, which have been completely restored and remastered. The Bonus features also include something you were never meant to see: Jim Henson's original "pitch reel" that propelled the Muppets' blend of original songs, sketch comedy and guest stars into a primetime hit for all ages! Come discover for yourself the most sensational, inspirational, celebrational, Muppetational pleasures of The Muppet Show: Season One!

The Muppet Show
1.01 Episode 1.1
Writer: Jack Burns (Writer), Jim Henson (Writer), Jerry Juhl (Writer)
Director: Peter Harris
Cast: Juliet Prowse (Special Guest Star (uncredited)), Frank Oz (Muppet Performer (voice)), Richard Hunt (Muppet Performer (voice)), Dave Goelz (Muppet Performer (voice)), Eren Ozker (Muppet Performer (voice)), John Lovelady (Muppet Performer (voice)), Jim Henson (Muppet Performer (voice))

I always enjoyed the Muppet Show. Early episodes have the problem, that there still had no so famous guest stars. But enjoyable nonetheless.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 10, 2012, 08:30:07 PM »
     Murder in Suburbia: Series One (2004/United Kingdom)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Acorn Media (United Kingdom)
Length:286 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78
Audio:
Subtitles:

Plot:
The suburbs - manicured lawns, palatial houses, car pools, wife swapping and murder. Even the most picturesque suburb can hold dark secrets in its lush gardens. Detective Inspector Kate 'Ash' Ashurst (Caroline Catz, The Vice) and Detective Sergeant Emma 'Scribbs' Scribbins (Lisa Faulkner, New Street Law) are partners who investigate crimes in Middleford Criminal Investigative Department.

In Series One the detectives investigate six cases ranging from a singles club murder to an out-of-control stag party and a home improvements lover whose hammer becomes a murder weapon.

Murder in Suburbia
1.01 Episode One
Writer: Nick Collins (Writer), Nick Collins (Created By)
Director: Edward Bennett
Cast: Caroline Catz (DI Kate Ashurst), Lisa Faulkner (DS Emma Scribbins), Jeremy Sheffield (DCI Sullivan), Danny Webb (Gavin Webb), Patrick Barlow (Redmond Appleby), Barbara Durkin (Maxine Appleby), Stuart Bunce (Ralph Mitchell), Stuart Nurse (Dr Weatherall), Liam Noble (DS Pudney), Sebastian Knapp (Harry), Jay Simpson (Photographer), Linette Beaumont (Nikki Pengelly), Cal Jaggers (Hazel Lawrence)

Your average murder mystery series with likable leads.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 10, 2012, 09:09:10 PM »
     Murphy Brown: Season One (1988/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Warner Home Video (United States)
Length:533 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Plot:
Here to cheer are all 22 hilarious Season One episodes (plus bonus features) of the groundbreaking series that won 18 Emmy Awards - including two for Best Comedy Series - during it's outstanding 10-season run. Candice Bergen portrays Murphy Brown, star reporter for Washington DC-based news magazine 'FYI', delivering a performance so funny and dynamic that she earned five of those Emmys as Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series (including one for this debut season). The colorful 'FYI' crew backs her up, giving everything from romance to friendship, national politics to office politics a zingy comeuppance.

Murphy Brown
1.01 Respect
Writer: Diane English (Writer)
Director: Barnet Kellman
Cast: Candice Bergen (Murphy Brown), Pat Corley (Phil), Faith Ford (Corky Sherwood), Charles Kimbrough (Jim Dial), Robert Pastorelli (Eldin Bernecky), Joe Regalbuto (Frank Fontana), Grant Shaud (Miles Silverberg), Tony Goldwyn (Bobby Powell), Mary Cadorette (Sherry), Kathleen Freeman (Mrs. Caldwell), Charley Lang (Robert), Mark Lonow (Jerry Weiss), John Achorn (Stage Manager)

I only know the first season from this series. None of the others were ever released on DVD. I enjoyed this first episode. Though it is a little dated.
I believe the bar Murphy Brown went to is a redressed Cheers set.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 10, 2012, 10:13:25 PM »
     My Dear Marie (1996/Japan)
IMDb | Wikipedia

(United States)
Length:87 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, Japanese: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo

Plot:
Perfect women aren't born everyday, you have to build them!

Ever met the perfect girl? Did she have the perfect boyfriend? Feel like you can't compete? Why not build your own?

When an amateur mad scientist attempts to build a robotic duplicate of his dream girl, Marie is the result. Of course, there are the usual unexpected complications. He build her so well that Marie has a mind of her own and a whole host of questions to go with it. The same questions that each of us ask of life. Where did I come from? Why am I here? Why do I look just like that girl over there?! Well, perhaps we don't all have to worry about that, but Marie does!

My Dear Marie
.01 The Birth of Marie
Writer: Sakura Takeuchi (Original Material By), Gou Sakamoto (Screenwriter)
Director: Tomomi Mochizuki
Cast: English Vocal Cast), Joseph Anthony (Hiroshi (voice)), Lauren Worsham (Robot Marie (voice)), Shawn Sides (Human Marie (voice)), Greg Dorchak (Tanaka (voice)), L.B. Bartholomee (TV Voice (voice)), Ellie McBride (TV Voice (voice)), Charles Campbell (Additional Voices (voice)), Gary Dehan (Additional Voices (voice)), Kathryn Feller (Additional Voices (voice)), Robert Fisher (Additional Voices (voice)), Japanese Vocal Cast), Yuko Miyamura (Marie Karigari (voice)), Mitsuo Iwata (Hiroshi Karigari (voice)), Yoko Asada (Mari (voice)), Nobutoshi Hayashi (Tanaka (voice)), Takashi Nagasaka (TV Man (voice)), Fujiko Takimoto (TV Woman (voice)), Kouichi Touchika (Member of Club (voice)), Taeko Endou (Member of Club (voice)), Jun Kisaichi (Deliveryman (voice)), Airi Yoshida (TV Announcer (voice))

A very good episode. It takes a seemingly ridiculous premise and makes it fun.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 10, 2012, 10:44:00 PM »
     My Favorite Martian: Season One (1963/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

(United States)
Length:939 min.
Subtitles:

Plot:
When reporter Tim O'Hare (Bill Bixby) discovers Martin (Ray Walston), a genuine Martian whose ship has crash landed on Earth, the two become quick friends and roommates.

Like Bewitched's Samantha and Jeannie of I Dream Of Jeannie, Uncle Martin has supernatural powers that cause poor Tim all kinds of trouble. With a supporting cast of clueless characters and episodes filled with endlessly entertaining situations, My Favorite Martian is the original fantasy sitcom!

Featuring all 37 hilarious first season episodes including "How To Be A Hero Without Even Trying" and "Danger! High Voltage."

My Favorite Martian
1.01 My Favorite Martian
Writer: John L. Greene (Writer), John L. Greene (Original Characters By)
Director: Sheldon Leonard
Cast: Ray Walston (The Martian), Bill Bixby (Tim O'Hara), Pamela Britton (Mrs. Brown), Ina Victor (Annabelle), Ann Marshall (Angela Brown), Herbert Rudley (Colonel Whitehead), J. Pat O'Malley (Harry Burns), Lee Krieger (Radarman), Marc Towers (Plainclothes Man), Simon Oakland (Lt. Towers)

A good episode to a seemingly fun series. But for some reason I have never watched past the first disc.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 10, 2012, 11:25:02 PM »
     My Hero: Series One (2000/United Kingdom)
IMDb | Wikipedia

(United States)
Length:180 min.
Subtitles:

Plot:
Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Thermoman – earth's busiest superhero, who lives in England as healthstore owner, George Sunday. Trouble is George is from the planet Ultron and not used to the ways of the world. But his love affair with Janet soon opens his eyes to earthly customs.

My Hero – Just another day, Janet's mother is being a pest, Piers fancies himself more than anyone, Mrs. Raven is scaring the patients and Janet has fallen for Thermoman.

Guess Who's Coming to Lunch? – George has moved in with Janet, both are nervous about him meeting her parents and George has strict instructions to act "normal".

Mission Impossible – Thermoman is needed but jam has gotten all over his uniform, Janet insists on washing his suit but that doesn't help the situation.

Thermoman's Greatest Challenge – Thermoman's frequent visits to the health center to save Janet are baffling to all. Piers thinks he's made a friend and invites Thermoman to the "charity" event.

Old Man Riverdance – George gets a visit from his father, the original Thermoman. Seamus is unhappy that George is living with Janet. Apart from the small, she is interfering with his work.

The Party's Over – It's Janet's birthday but an earth girl turning the big 3-0 means nothing to an Ultron male. Janet doesn't want to discuss it, so George turns to his cousin for advice.

My Hero
1.01 My Hero (2000-02-04)
Writer: Paul Mendelson (Writer), Paul Mayhew-Archer (Writer)
Director: John Stroud
Cast: Ardal O'Hanlon (George), Emily Joyce (Janet), Geraldine McNulty (Mrs Raven), Hugh Dennis (Piers), Lou Hirsch (Arnie), Lill Roughley (Ella), Philip Whitchurch (Tyler), Mary Farragher), Timothy Gleed), Charlotte Hudson), Rory Lewis), Joan Linder), Jaqui O'Hanlon), Kevin Shewfelt), Marcello Walton)

A fun episode. Sadly only the first two series have been released on DVD as of now. Strangely these are released in the US. Even though it is a British series, there are no DVD releases in the UK.

Rating:

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #239 on: June 10, 2012, 11:35:01 PM »
Series 3 came out in the UK a couple of weeks back. ;)

Personally, I think it's one of the worst comedies to grace British television in a long time.