Author Topic: KinkyCyborg's Random Reviews 2011  (Read 111638 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: KinkyCyborg's Random Reviews 2011
« Reply #165 on: August 07, 2011, 09:36:33 AM »
There is also this one, which recently came to my attention. Haven't seen it yet, but you should be familiar with it for obvious reasons. ;) Here's a clip.
I am not familiar with it, but I recognize the beer can on the poster :laugh: Taiwanese movies, especially from that era, tend to be terribly slow and trying to be all arthouse; as even one of my local friends keeps pointing out. The video is funny, but a music clip (apparently a dream sequence) is probably not representative of the movie. However, the photo of the poster is rather interesting, actually. Do you know how to obtain it?

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 07, 2011, 11:37:31 AM »
Do you know how to obtain it?

Oops, I hadn't gotten that far. I only put a couple of movies on my watch list for an Asian interlude and didn't expect it to be so difficult to get a hold of them, especially since Tsai Ming-liang is one of the more famous Taiwanese directors of whom even I had heard before.

That's my list btw, prompted by a post on another board:
Dong (TW 1998, Ming-liang Tsai) [The Hole]
Tian bian yi duo yun (TW 2005, Ming-liang Tsai) [The Wayward Cloud]
Yukinojô henge (JP 1963, Kon Ichikawa) [An Actor's Revenge, AKA Revenge of a Kabuki Actor]
Hausu (JP 1977, Nobuhiko Ôbayashi) [House]

The Hole seems to be the only really problematic title, though.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 11:54:44 AM by goodguy »
Matthias

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 08, 2011, 06:07:14 AM »
Hausu (House) has even been graced with a Criterion Collection release. Although a review I heard before ((Cool) Shite on the Tube podcast) was a rather mixed bag. While they accepted that the director had a wild imagination and a couple of unique ideas, it just didn't come together for them in the end.

I'll see if I find out whether there's a Taiwanese release of The Hole. If there is and it has English subtitles, I'll let you know.

EDIT:
Well, that was faster than I thought. I found a Taiwanese DVD release here. As you can see, no English subtitles :(. If it helps your further research, here is the entry in the HKMDb.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 06:19:10 AM by Achim »

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 08, 2011, 12:10:27 PM »
Thanks for the research. It's actually available on Mubi for streaming in my area, so I might go with that.
Matthias

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #169 on: August 11, 2011, 04:44:18 AM »
Le Divorce

Title:Le Divorce
Year: 2003
Director: James Ivory
Rating: PG-13
Length: 117 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40:1, Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Kate Hudson
Jean-Marie Lhomme
Naomi Watts
Esmée Buchet-Deàk
Jean-Jacques Pivert

Plot:
Kate Hudson (How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days) lights up the screen as Isabel, a film school dropout who jets off to Paris when her pregnant step-sister Roxy (Naomi Watts, Mulholland Drive) is abandoned by her husband. Soon, Isabel has a scandal of her own when she falls for an older man who's related to Roxy's cheating husband! This stylish romantic comedy by the acclaimed Merchant Ivory team (The Remains of the Day) features a top cast, including Stockard Channing, Glenn Close, Matthew Modine and Bebe Newirth.

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

I thought this was going to be a comedy and it turned out to be a dismal look at betrayal, deception and divorce. With France as the backdrop Kate Hudson rushes to the aid of her sister played by Naomi Watts who was abandoned by her husband for another woman. While trying to be supportive to her sister Hudson also becomes the mistress to an older married man herself.

This was ok but I had a hard time getting into it likely because of the fact that I was setting myself up to watch a comedy. At times it's very slow and plodding and I was wishing for something, anything to happen. Unique role for Watts who I am used to playing strong women but here she is emotionally crippled, desperately hoping she can reconcile with her husband who no longer gives a shit about her. Matthew Modine whom I've always liked as an actor plays the crazed husband of another cheating spouse and I thought it was an embarrassing role for him.

While there were a few thoughtful scenes I was mostly bored with this effort.

KC

Rating:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #170 on: August 12, 2011, 10:38:20 PM »
The Stone Boy

Title:The Stone Boy
Year: 1984
Director: Christopher Cain
Rating: PG
Length: 91 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:

Stars:
Robert Duvall
Jason Presson
Glenn Close
Susan Blackstone
Dean Cain

Plot:
One summer morning, 12-year-old Arnold Hillerman and his 17-year-old brother Eugene wake at dawn to pick peas and perhaps shoot a wild duck on their family’s Montana farm. In a nearby pasture, Arnold’s gun fires accidentally. His brother is killed instantly.

Isolated by emotions he can’t comprehend, Arnold (Jason Presson) must now come to terms with his grieving family - including his angry father (Academy Award®-winner Robert Duvall), his frightened mother (Oscar®-nominee Glenn Close), his antagonistic uncle (Oscar®-nominee Frederic Forrest) and his gentle, straight-talking grandfather (Wilford Brimley) - while his family must come to terms with Arnold. Linda Hamilton and Dean Cain co-star in this haunting drama that critic Richard Freedman of Newhouse Newspapers calls "profoundly moving - a magnificently acted tribute to the human spirit!"

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers

My Thoughts:

Sad story about a 12 year old boy who while hunting ducks with his older brother has his gun accidentally go off while squeezing through a barb wire fence, killing his sibling. The devastated family then tries to pick up the pieces while inadvertently shunning the young boy due to his apparent inability to show remorse or emotion over his brothers death.

Make no mistake, the young boy is shredded at the death of his brother but a prolonged state of shock keeps his grief well bottled up. Only after running away from his apparently distant family who couldn't even look in him in the eyes anymore did he finally break down and cry in the arms of a stranger (Linda Hamilton) on the bus ride home.

Strong but very subdued performances by Robert Duvall and Glenn Close as the parents who are both heartbroken over the loss of their first born but also baffled and even angry by the detachment of their youngest boy. The always likable Wilford Brimley plays the boys understanding grandfather, who tries to get the boy to open up but never pushes. Brief appearance by a young Dean Cain as the older brother.

It has been many years since I'd seen this but I never forgot the very touching moment when the young boy lets the tears and his anguish flow, which finally gives some closure to the rest of his family.

The Stone Boy is a great movie.

KC

Rating:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #171 on: August 14, 2011, 02:24:40 AM »
Mrs. Doubtfire

Title:Mrs. Doubtfire
Year: 1993
Director: Chris Columbus
Length: 125 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.0, English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, French: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Robin Williams (1951)
Sally Field
Pierce Brosnan
Harvey Fierstein
Polly Holliday

Plot:
How far would an ordinary father go to spend more time with his children? Daniel Hillard (Robin Williams) is no ordinary father, so when he learns his ex-wife (Sally Field) needs a housekeeper, he applies for the job. With the perfect wig, a little makeup and a dress for all occasions, he becomes Mrs. Doubtfire, a devoted British nanny who is hired on the spot. Free to be the "woman" he never knew he could be, the disguised Daniel creates a whole new life with his entire family.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Production Notes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

Quite possibly Robin Williams' crowning achievement in comedy and a favorite of mine. The laughs still hold up well even after 17+ years.

Mrs. Doubtfire allowed Williams to showcase all his brilliant comedic strengths. His rapid fire jokes, his wide variety of imitations and mimicry and his wildly animated body language. Despite the obvious showcase of his talent this movie also takes a thoughtful look at the nastiness of divorce and the heartbreak of a broken home.

Some favorite scenes... setting his tits on fire in the kitchen, juggling two dinner dates, one in his Doubtfire getup and his interactions with the lonely and horny old bus driver.  :laugh:

Sally Field, Pierce Brosnan and Robert Prosky were all good but were really just set decorations to surround Williams with. Never get tired of watching this.

KC

Rating:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #172 on: August 14, 2011, 07:17:09 PM »
The Cincinnati Kid

Title:The Cincinnati Kid
Year: 1965
Director: Norman Jewison
Rating: NR
Length: 102 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Steve McQueen (1930)
Edward G. Robinson
Ann-Margret
Karl Malden
Tuesday Weld

Plot:
A few words for anyone who sits at the poker table with the Kid: Read 'em and weep.

Steve McQueen brings his cool fire to the role of the Cincinnati Kid, a small-timer eager to take his chances in high-stakes poker. He gets his chance. Regal, ruthless Lancey Howard (Edward G. Robinson), the elite gambler called the Man, accepts the Kid's challenge. Norman Jewison (In The Heat Of The Night, Moonstruck) directs this taut exploration of back-room gaming, building suspense with each turn of a card. And Ann-Margaret, Karl Malden, Rip Torn, National Board of Review Best Supporting Actress Award winner Joan Blondell and many more comprise a full house of talent. Grab a chair and ante up.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Featurettes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

Absolutely loved this movie! Great story that some would perhaps draw comparisons with The Hustler... and chock full of great performances.

Steve McQueen, one of the coolest actors who ever lived was great, confident and exuberant in his quest to become The Man when it comes to stud poker. McQueen mastered the look of annoyance in his facial expressions and he employs it often in The Cincinnati Kid.

Edward G. Robinson is Lancey Howard who holds the current title of 'The Man', aged, wizened and unflappable. He's seen it all. I thought he gave a grand and dignified performance. Karl Malden plays Shooter, the troubled friend of The Kid and card dealer of the ill-fated final game. He was stellar as well.

I was utterly shocked to see an almost indistinguishable Rip Torn, just a young pup, playing the scoundrel Slade, a heavy trying to lean on Shooter to fix the game. Quite an unseemly role when compared to most of his crazed comedic roles he is mostly known for today.

Finally I've never been a huge fan of Ann-Margaret as I find she is only a marginal actress at best but I have to admit that she is stunningly sexy in this movie as Shooter's temptress wife Melba. She used that coy, inviting smile of hers to full advantage here.

While the movie took the turn I was expecting during the huge game I was surprised to see the movie abruptly end afterward. I was fully expecting a huge comeback in the form of a rematch but instead it ended, which while surprising, it was not disappointing. It concluded with a satisfying lesson in humility.

Five stars!!!

KC

Rating:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 15, 2011, 06:57:20 AM »
Cincinatti Kid has always been greatly admired by me. I never thought about the similarity to The Hustler, a film I like even more...

Steve McQueen, one of the coolest actors who ever lived was great, confident and exuberant in his quest to become The Man when it comes to stud poker. McQueen mastered the look of annoyance in his facial expressions and he employs it often in The Cincinnati Kid.
[/quote]

I just watched a documentary about Close Encounters of the Third Kind yesterday (after seeing the film the day before). In it Spielberg revealed that McQueen was actually his first choice for the leading role. McQueen read the script and when they met told the slightly star struck Spielberg that he really liked it, but he won't play it. Spielberg asked why, of course, and McQueen explained that the role required the actor to cry, which was something he couldn't do on set. Spielberg said he could changed, but McQueen said he shouldn't because that was one of the parts he liked the most.

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #174 on: August 16, 2011, 05:27:42 AM »
Cincinatti Kid has always been greatly admired by me. I never thought about the similarity to The Hustler, a film I like even more...

I just watched a documentary about Close Encounters of the Third Kind yesterday (after seeing the film the day before). In it Spielberg revealed that McQueen was actually his first choice for the leading role. McQueen read the script and when they met told the slightly star struck Spielberg that he really liked it, but he won't play it. Spielberg asked why, of course, and McQueen explained that the role required the actor to cry, which was something he couldn't do on set. Spielberg said he could changed, but McQueen said he shouldn't because that was one of the parts he liked the most.

Now that's a really cool piece of trivia which I was unaware of. Not sure if I could imagine McQueen in that role being fully satisfied with the job that Dreyfuss did but I think it's awesome that Spielberg considered him for it!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 05:30:03 AM by KinkyCyborg »

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #175 on: August 17, 2011, 02:31:51 AM »
Noise

Title:Noise
Year: 2008
Director: Henry Bean
Rating: NR
Length: 88 Min.
Audio:
Subtitles:

Stars:
Tim Robbins
William Hurt
Bridget Moynahan
William Baldwin

Plot:
Academy Award winner Tim Robbins stars as David Owen, a Manhattan husband and father so unhinged by the noise outside his window that he declares a one-man war on car alarms. But when David goes over the edge and becomes a citywide noise-vigilante known as 'The Rectifier', he incurs the wrath of New York's sleazy blowhard Mayor (a hilarious performance by Oscar winner William Hurt) who vows to stop him. How much damage will one guy inflict for a little peace and quiet?

Extras:
Audio Commentary
Interviews

My Thoughts:

When looking at the cover art and after reading the movie synopsis I was expecting to see something along the lines of Falling Down where the central character snaps and goes on a rampage. While Robbins' as the Noise Vigilante of New York does in fact lose control several times it had more of a comic feel to it. Then the movie tapers off into a political and legal battle which was rather unexpected. I mean it was still pretty good but I think it could have been elevated to much loftier heights.

Robbins is convincing as the man who takes the noise problem into his own hands by brute force. I could certainly relate to this man as I am easily irritated by too much noise myself and have ofter imagined doing many of the things his character does in fact do.

During his quest to implement strict noise ordinance for the city an idiot, asshole Mayor played marvelously by William Hurt stands in his way by using a legal maneuver to have the 'Noise Bill' thrown off the ballot. How Robbins gets around it was both hilarious and ingenious, even if it is only fiction.

His actions of course alienate him from his wife, played by sexy Bridget Moynahan. I realize I'm always needlessly mentioning the gorgeous women in the movies I watch but I can't help myself, horny toad that I am. After watching this, sweet Bridget has cracked my top 5 of hot actresses!  :thumbup:

A very good watch for a straight to video flick. My only pet peeve was some cheesy first person narration near the beginning that was completely unnecessary but overall I'd recommend this film for a watch.

KC

Rating:

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 17, 2011, 02:38:47 AM »
Finally I've never been a huge fan of Ann-Margaret as I find she is only a marginal actress at best but I have to admit that she is stunningly sexy in this movie as Shooter's temptress wife Melba. She used that coy, inviting smile of hers to full advantage here.

Kitten with a Whip!!!

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #177 on: August 17, 2011, 03:04:09 AM »
I've never seen that movie but the movie poster sure is inviting!!   ;)

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #178 on: September 05, 2011, 09:22:27 PM »
Echelon Conspiracy

Title:Echelon Conspiracy
Year: 2009
Director: Greg Marcks
Length: 105 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Shane West
Edward Burns
Ving Rhames
Jonathan Pryce
Sergey Gubanov

Plot:
When Max Peterson (Shane West) receives a series of mysterious cell phone messages that promise him untold wealth, he soon finds himself the victim of a deadly international plot. Chased by a lethal team of government operatives, Max races across the planet in a desperate attempt to unravel a conspiracy that threatens the stability of the entire world. Edward Burns, Ving Rhames and Martin Sheen co-star in this techno-charged edge-of-your-seat action thriller!

Extras:
Scene Access
Bonus Trailers

My Thoughts:

Good cast and above average action but when watching the trailer for this movie you can't help think it's a poor man's Eagle Eye which ironically was one of the preview trailers on the dvd. Same premise of an unknown entity making mysterious calls to an apparently random victim and pulling their strings.

Again it was entertaining enough but I thought the way the computer geek played a Jedi mind trick on the super computer that became self aware was a little too convenient and cheesy. Almost like it was playing homage to the ending of Wargames. Also the Russian bit at the end made for a muddled conclusion that just raised some unanswered questions.

Good popcorn action but completely bereft of originality.

KC

Rating:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #179 on: September 07, 2011, 01:10:32 AM »
Youth In Revolt

Title:Youth in Revolt
Year: 2010
Director: Miguel Arteta
Rating: R
Length: 90 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Michael Cera
Portia Doubleday
Jean Smart
Zach Galifianakis
Erik Knudsen

Plot:
Youth in Revolt is a coming-of-age comedy that puts a fresh and outrageous stamp on a tale of adolescent obsession and rebellion. Michael Cera (also of the 2007 Oscar®-winning film Juno, for Best Original Screenplay, and Superbad) stars as Nick Twisp - a unique but affable teen with a taste for the finer things in life, like Sinatra and Fellini - who falls hopelessly in love with the beautiful, free-spirited Sheeni while on a family vacation. With Sheeni's encouragement, Nick abandons his dull, predictable life and develops a rebellious alter ego: Francois. With his ascot, his moustache and his cigarette, Francois will stop at nothing to be with Sheeni, and leads Nick down a path of destruction with unpredictable and uproarious consequences.

Extras:
Audio Commentary
Deleted Scenes

My Thoughts:

Funny comedy that manages to evenly space out the most humorous parts to help sustain the whole movie. Michael Cera is actually very good in an understated way. He slickly serves up sarcasm. Some fun appearances by Justin Long, Steve Buscemi & Ray Liotta but the best LOL moments came from Fred Willard who just isn't in movies enough. No one plays brainless better than him.  :laugh:

This won't crack my top 10 comedies but it is well above average.

KC

Rating:   ...and a half.