Author Topic: KinkyCyborg's Random Reviews 2011  (Read 111815 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: KinkyCyborg's Random Reviews 2011
« Reply #90 on: May 07, 2011, 04:59:36 PM »
Suffice to say, Gibson was the producer and was paying for a film he didn't think was commercial. And he was probably right to be fair. Also it was he who gave Brian the chance to do his cut.
I forgot he was producing too. Fair point.

It's been a while since I watched it (maybe a rematch is in order). I suppose the features may indeed have explained it (assuming they match between R1 and R2 versions).

Najemikon

« Reply #91 on: May 07, 2011, 05:58:22 PM »
Suffice to say, Gibson was the producer and was paying for a film he didn't think was commercial. And he was probably right to be fair. Also it was he who gave Brian the chance to do his cut.
I forgot he was producing too. Fair point.

It's been a while since I watched it (maybe a rematch is in order). I suppose the features may indeed have explained it (assuming they match between R1 and R2 versions).

It's the R1 of Straight Up I have!  ;D For anyone interested, the Blu includes both cuts, I think, but the extras in this case are a big selling point to me. Gibson's perspective and the emotion of others in particular is great to see.

By the way, Achim, not to detract too far from Kevin's review, have you seen Edge of Darkness?

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 07, 2011, 08:36:47 PM »
By the way, Achim, not to detract too far from Kevin's review, have you seen Edge of Darkness?
No, I haven't. I think I'd catch it on TV if it was on, but I don't consider it a DZvD I want to own.

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #93 on: May 08, 2011, 02:47:07 AM »
Red Water

Title:Red Water
Year: 2003
Director: Charles Robert Carner
Rating: R
Length: 92 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles: Chinese, English, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai

Stars:
Lou Diamond Phillips
Kristy Swanson
Coolio
Jaimz Woolvett
Rob Boltin

Plot:
Dive into this carnivorous adventure when a massive man-eating Bull Shark takes over the quiet waters of the Mississippi.

Nobody knows what or who is leaving behind mangled remains on the banks of a Louisiana River until it is revealed that there is one breed of shark that can live in fresh water - a giant carnivore, stalking the living under the surface.

Now, as workers search the river for a source of natural gas, and criminals are hunting a buried treasure, it is up to a small group of hunters to find and destroy the murderous beast, bent on killing anything that leaves the shore...

Extras:
Scene Access
Bonus Trailers
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

Jaws this ain't...  :slaphead:

A nasty freshwater Bull shark goes on a feeding frenzy in creole country, Louisiana. The ravenous fish had a virtual buffet of tasty tidbits to choose from including tourists, fishermen, criminal treasure hunters and oil prospectors. Pretty predictable fare but at least the shark looked half ways real.

Cast was rounded out by has beens Lou Diamond Phillips, Kristy Swanson (whom much to the shark's delight has packed on a few pounds), and Coolio who desperately needs to be introduced to a hair stylist.

Probably as good as a made for TV shark movie is going to get.

KC

Rating:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #94 on: May 09, 2011, 01:16:00 AM »
Robin Hood : Prince Of Thieves

Title:Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
Year: 1991
Director: Kevin Reynolds
Rating: PG-13
Length: 144 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Kevin Costner
Morgan Freeman (1937)
Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio
Christian Slater
Alan Rickman

Plot:
Academy Award® winner Kevin Costner triumphs as the legendary Sherwood Forest outlaw leader in this epic adventure bringing a 12th-century medieval world to spectacular screen life. Enhancing the sheer fun of this audience rouser are 12 added minutes of footage not seen in theatres, especially more of the juicy malevolence and sinister background of Robin Hood's archenemy, the Sheriff of Nottingham (Alan Rickman). Morgan Freeman, Christian Slater and Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio also star in this lavish production lensed in Britain and France, where historic structures, majestic forests and vividly realistic recreations of Olde England combine to create a world at once ancient and ageless.

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Featurettes
Production Notes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

Always liked this movie, as this was probably my 5th or 6th viewing now but I found myself being a bit more critical of it this time around.

This came out during Costner's 'vain' period where he felt he would do us all a favor by portraying every figure of historical prominence as he possibly could... Robin Hood, Wyatt Earp, Elliot Ness, Jim Garrison... I found he came across a bit arrogant in all those roles.

Loved Alan Rickman as the Sheriff of Nottingham... intensely wicked with a dash or smartass in him. He steals scenes. For me this is probably the most fun role of Morgan Freeman's career as the swashbuckling moor Azeem. Had he hit his stride at a much younger age I think Freeman could have been a great action star. Mary Elizabeth Mostrantonio never got as much credit as an actress as she should have. She's great as the Maid Marian and I loved her in The Abyss and Class Action. Unknowns Nick Brimble and Michael McSheen were great as Little John and Friar Tuck respectively. I wouldn't have cared this time around if Christian Slater as Hood's half brother Will Scarlett was left out of the story as I find his character getting annoying.

All in all it's still good entertainment although it seems to be a bit more silly with each viewing. Looking forward to a darker take on this story with Ridley Scott's version, Robin Hood.

KC

Rating:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 10, 2011, 06:19:10 AM »
Loved Alan Rickman as the Sheriff of Nottingham...
"...and call off Christmas." is still one of my favorite lines in any movie :laugh:

I rewatched it myself sometime last year and found that it had aged not as good as it could. But as far as non-stop action adventure movies go this is still heaps of fun.

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #96 on: May 11, 2011, 03:35:08 AM »
Loved Alan Rickman as the Sheriff of Nottingham...
"...and call off Christmas." is still one of my favorite lines in any movie :laugh:

I rewatched it myself sometime last year and found that it had aged not as good as it could. But as far as non-stop action adventure movies go this is still heaps of fun.

I loved that part too. That and... 'At least I didn't use a spoon...'  :hysterical:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #97 on: May 11, 2011, 03:48:10 AM »
Spider-Man 3

Title:Spider-Man 3
Year: 2007
Director: Sam Raimi
Rating: PG-13
Length: 139 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles: English, Spanish, Commentary

Stars:
Tobey Maguire
Kirsten Dunst
James Franco
Thomas Haden Church
Topher Grace

Plot:
Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire) finally has the girl of his dreams, Mary Jane Watson (Kirsten Dunst), and New York City are in the throes of Spider-mania! But when a strange alien symbiote turns Spider-Man's suit black, his darkest demons come to light - changing Spider-Man inside as well as out. Spider-Man is in for the fight of his life against a lethal mix of villians - the deadly Sandman (Thomas Haden Church), Venom (Topher Grace), and the New Goblin (James Franco) - as well as the enemy within himself.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Gallery
Music Videos
Outtakes/Bloopers

My Thoughts:

Finally got around to watching the 3rd installment and while I didn't dislike the movie it was a bit of a disappointment and by far my least favorite of the trilogy.

The action was great and I was stoked to see Venom introduced into the series but I didn't like the way they handled it. For starters, the meteorite that hits Earth that just happened to be carrying the essence (goo) of Venom was retarded and way too convenient. Then, when Parker is infused with it I liked how it brought out his dark side but they could have done without the macho, Saturday Night Fever persona that it spawned in Parker. Extremely stupid effort to add some comedy in a movie that required none.

Thomas Haden Church was the standout for me in this as Sandman. Was great to see him in a role other than the screwball flakes he usually plays and I thought he handled himself well. Kirsten Dunst was the same in this like in all her other movies.... adequate but always with an air of haughtiness. I've yet to see her in a role where she could convince me of being humble. Her characters always act like they are all that and a bag of chips which I think comes natural to Dunst... just part of who she is off camera.  ::)

After seeing this I'm glad they are ending this rendition of Spider-Man and makes me look forward to the announced reboot of the series with all new personnel. Jeebers... how do you reboot/remake something that is only 8 years old?!?! In a lot of ways Hollywood is getting to be very pathetic...

KC

Rating:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #98 on: May 21, 2011, 04:42:29 PM »
Memory

Title:Memory
Year: 2005
Director: Bennett Davlin
Rating: R
Length: 98 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: DTS: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:

Stars:
Billy Zane
Tricia Helfer
Ann-Margret
Dennis Hopper
Terry Chen

Plot:
Imagine accidentally ingesting a strange powder and being haunted by nightmarish visions—memories of a shadowy predator who abducts young girls. That's what happens to Dr.Taylor Briggs (Billy Zane — BloodRayne, Titanic) when he is exposed to a mysterious drug while lecturing in Brazil. Forced to relive the dark, twisted memories of a killer, Dr. Briggs embarks upon a lone journey to unlock the mystery of a past that is not his own—and find a killer whose horrifying work may not be over...

A mind-bending, psychological thrill-ride, Memory will make you question everything you experience— right up to a surprise twist ending that will rock the very core of your reality. Co-starring Tricia Helfer, Ann-Margret, and Dennis Hopper.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Featurettes
Storyboard Comparisons
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

I made two wrong assumptions with this movie. The first being that I thought it was a horror movie, when in fact it was a whodunnit thriller and the second being I thought this would be a crap STV movie, and while it was straight to video it was actually quite good.

Excellent cast with Billy Zane, Ann Margaret, Dennis Hopper & Tricia Helfer who looks so much more gorgeous as a brunette! This deals with the belief that with some help, memories can be passed on to children through aspects of DNA so that they may see things that happened well before they were born. Enter Taylor Briggs (Zane) who starts having disturbing visions that reveal a string of child abductions dating back over 30 years. Slowly he starts connecting the dots, mostly on his own as he finds few who will believe his strange 'second sight' or who will help him.

This was low budget but graced with tense storytelling. The light bulb doesn't go on until minutes before the ending which was great as I love movies that leave you guessing right up to the end.  :thumbup:

For a cheapie movie that I picked up for next to nothing, it was an impressive film.

KC

Rating:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #99 on: May 24, 2011, 02:05:32 AM »
The Greatest Show On Earth

Title:The Greatest Show on Earth
Year: 1952
Director: Cecil B. DeMille
Rating: NR
Length: 152 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Betty Hutton
Cornel Wilde
Charlton Heston
Dorothy Lamour
Gloria Grahame

Plot:
Step right up for Cecil B. DeMille's spectacular Academy Award®-winning Best Picture* – The Greatest Show On Earth. The master showman brings the thrills, chills and exhilaration of the Ringling Bros.-Barnum & Bailey Circus to the screen via an Oscar®-winning story and an all-star cast that includes Betty Hutton, Cornel Wilde, Charlton Heston, Dorothy Lamour, Gloria Grahame, James Stewart and Lyle Bettger -- plus a few surprises! It's action, romance, laughs and treachery all under the big top, culminating in an incredible train disaster that threatens the very lives and livelihood of the traveling troupe. Grab a bag of popcorn, take a ringside seat and get ready to experience the excitement and drama of The Greatest Show On Earth!

*Best Picture, 1952; Best Writing, Motion Picture Story, 1952.

Extras:
Scene Access
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

This movie doesn't quite live up to it's lofty title but it was a very entertaining watch nonethless. More of a documentary style tribute to the Ringling Barnum & Bailey Circus, you get a fascinating behind the scenes look at the machinations of circus life and the incredible amount of time and effort that went into these big top productions which sadly have given away to indoor performances at arenas & stadiums.

Charlton Heston was good as Brad Braden, leader of the circus and Cornell Wilde was great as trapeze star, The Great Sebastien. I would have taken just about any other female lead over Betty Hutton as Holly, another high flyer. I didn't understand how this woman's character could be the object of both these mens affections as I found her unattractive and annoying, incessantly whining throughout the movie. On the other hand Gloria Grahame as Angel, part of the elephant act, was a complete knockout!  ;) James Stewart as Buttons the Clown was good also as a man on the run from the law, hiding in obscurity behind the painted face and goofy clothes. All in all these sidebar stories took a back seat to the goings on of the circus itself.

I spotted Bing Crosby, Bob Hope & Van Johnson as uncredited crowd spectators. I'm sure there are others I missed.

The rest of the cast was filled out with the actual circus performers which brought total authenticity to the acts. The crowd may have been actors but the wonderment on their faces, especially the children would have been as real as can be as I remembered my first trip to a circus as a young boy which was minuscule in comparison to these grand spectacles. The elephant acts were nothing short of majestic!  :clap:

A little research revealed that the circus is still going strong, still riding the trains of the eastern seaboard with two parallel tours offering different shows at different times of the year so that people could take in both should they so choose. It's a shame this traveling phenomena doesn't make it's way up into Canada as I would love to take the family to see it.

A great movie to watch where the Circus itself if by far the star of the show.

KC

Rating:

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 24, 2011, 02:17:37 AM »
A little research revealed that the circus is still going strong, still riding the trains of the eastern seaboard with two parallel tours offering different shows at different times of the year so that people could take in both should they so choose. It's a shame this traveling phenomena doesn't make it's way up into Canada as I would love to take the family to see it.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but...

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #101 on: May 24, 2011, 02:36:31 AM »
That's pretty deplorable... and the caught on camera scenes certainly don't lie. Obviously that aspect wasn't shown in the movie.   :redcard:  The former elephant trainer in the video said it well how the public only sees the elephants for an 8 minute performance where the handlers are all on their best behavior for the audience and the rest of the time the elephants are under duress.  :(  Thanks for shattering my my plans Antares!! lol  It is certainly good to be informed though.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 24, 2011, 02:41:47 AM »
Sorry about that, but people need to know about this shit. Just think what you would feel if you watched someone training a puppy using a ruler with a thumbtack on the end of it. And every time they did something wrong, they hit him with it.

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #103 on: May 24, 2011, 02:58:30 AM »
Sorry about that, but people need to know about this shit. Just think what you would feel if you watched someone training a puppy using a ruler with a thumbtack on the end of it. And every time they did something wrong, they hit him with it.

It certainly is awful. You could see the scars from the hook behind their ears.

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #104 on: May 29, 2011, 10:49:18 PM »
How Green Was My Valley

Title:How Green Was My Valley
Year: 1941
Director: John Ford
Rating: NR
Length: 118 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, English: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Walter Pidgeon
Maureen O'Hara
Anna Lee
Donald Crisp
Roddy McDowall [Master Roddy McDowall]

Plot:
Winner of five Academy Awards, including Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Supporting Actor (Donald Crisp), this "Hollywood milestone" (Halliwell's Film Guide) from producer Darryl F. Zanuck and director John Ford is "one of the finest" pictures ever made (Variety).

Seen through the eyes of a boy (Roddy McDowall), How Green Was My Valley is the inspiring yet heartbreaking story of young parents (Donald Crisp and Sara Allgood) struggling to keep their family together as they endure severe hardship in a small Welsh mining town. Co-starring Maureen O'Hara and Walter Pidgeon, this acclaimed classic captures the sentiments and issues of its time while reminding us of the dreams, struggles and triumphs every family that can touch every family.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Featurettes
Gallery
Production Notes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

Another golden oldie. This time it's the Best Picture winner for 1941, beating out the revered Citizen Kane. I haven't watched Citizen Kane so I can't make a comparison but most who have seen both feel that CK was robbed for the Oscar. That said, I thought How Green Was My Valley a terrific watch!

Some comparisons can be made between this film and Ford's other classic story of family hardship, The Grapes Of Wrath. This time a small Welsh coal mining town sets the stage for a look at the dismal trials and tribulations of a simple but proud family. We see a slow, downward spiral of this family and, in many ways, the entire community as it is beset by changing times, greed, old prejudices and gossip.

The story is told by the youngest brother, played by a 12 year old Roddy McDowell, now grown up, reflecting on his early years. He watches his family, happy and proud at first, gradually splinter as their gloomy prospects take their toll. Some of the young men leave to go to America, some continue to work the mines while their wages are continually cut, tragedy strikes others.

The only sister, played by a very young and beautiful Maureen O'Hara, falls for the town minister (Walter Pidgeon). Their impossible love eventually drives them apart as she would then unwillingly marry into money by way of the mine owner's son. Even in this early role for O'Hara already we can see the fiery disposition she would carry on through so many more films in her career.

They would give O'Hara and Pidgeon top billing for this but the true stars are Donald Crisp (he won Best Supporting Actor) and Anna Lee who greatly reminds me of Jane Darwell in The Grapes Of Wrath. These two play the traditionalist parents who can no longer keep their idealistic flock of children in check. I thought Crisp gave the most dignified performance I have ever seen.

Great movie, though not quite as good as The Grapes Of Wrath.

KC

Rating: and a half