Author Topic: 14 Days of Romance Marathon  (Read 23202 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: 14 Days of Romance Marathon
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2011, 12:41:29 PM »
I don't think I mentioned it in the review... but The Good Witch is a made for TV Movie... made for The Hallmark Channel.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2011, 05:48:32 PM »

Title: When Harry Met Sally...: Collector's Edition
Year: 1989
Director: Rob Reiner
Rating: R
Length: 95 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Billy Crystal
Meg Ryan
Carrie Fisher
Bruno Kirby
Steven Ford
Lisa Jane Persky

Plot:
From acclaimed director Rob Reiner (The Princess Bride) comes this "explosively funny" (Newsweek) romantic comedy classic starring Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan. One of the most beloved romances of all time, When Harry Met Sally... is "shimmering [with] intelligence and humor" (Boxoffice) as it exposes "the kind of truth about relationships that hasn't shown up in movies before" (New York)...or since!

Sex always gets in the way of friendships between men and women. At least, that's what Harry Burns (Crystal) believes. So when Harry meets Sally Albright (Ryan) and a deep friendship blossoms between them, Harry's determined not to let his attraction to Sally destroy it. But when a night of weakness ends in a morning of panic, can the pair avoid succumbing to Harry's fears by remaining friends and admitting they just might be the perfect match for each other?

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Bonus Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I have heard good things about this movie many times over the years... but this is the first time I am actually seeing it for myself. I went into this one hoping that all the good things I heard wouldn't make my expectations of this one too high. And I must admit I was expecting a little more from it... but even with that said I enjoyed it quite a bit. Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal work well together. I didn't get the chance to check out the extras on this disc... so I may just save them for the next time I watch the movie.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2011, 07:40:16 PM »
Supernatural: The Complete Fifth Season
As the Apocalypse grows closer, threatening to turn Earth into a battlefield soaked with human blood, Sam, Dean and Castiel struggle against daunting odds. New foes arise, including the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Old friends depart, consumed by the fearsome wrath of Hell. Through it all, the Winchesters are targeted by demons and angels alike, who warn that each brother has a special and terrible role to play in the coming devastation. This harrowing 6-disc, 22-Episode Season Five follows Sam and Dean on their most terrifying journey yet, one that may lead them to the only ally strong enough to defeat the Devil: God.

Episode Watched:
My Bloody Valentine
Stupid Cupid On Valentines Day, the brothers are out for cherub blood when the laughing love god goes rogue, causing sweethearts to die - and kill - for love. But then a man perishes from a Twinkie gorge-athon and the guys realize something more is going on.

My Thoughts:
This is a good episode as usual (I always did like this show)... Though it did kinda forget it was a Valentine's day episode about half way through. But what they did do with the Valentine's Day theme was fun... I especially got a laugh on how they did the cupid.

My Rating:
Pete

karmesinrot

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2011, 12:20:38 AM »
Pete have you seen Valentines Day? It's got some bad reviews, but it's actually quite funny and tongue in cheek! It would be perfect for this marathon  :P

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2011, 12:53:10 AM »
Nope... haven't seen it. And don't have it. But I could check the premium channels... it may have shown up there this month.
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2011, 01:53:44 AM »
I actually got Valentine's Day last year but have yet to see it.  It would probably be a good choice for me to watch on the 14th...or maybe the day before.  I got it mostly since Julia Roberts is in it.  Good cast overall, though.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2011, 06:46:30 PM »
Charmed: The Complete Second Season
The Halliwell sisters are back... and they've got "the power of three"! Charmed: The Complete Second Season casts a spell of excitement, adventure and fun as Prue (Shannen Doherty), Piper (Holly Marie Combs) and Phoebe (Alyssa Milano) continue their journey as modern-day witches.

From the intense season opener, when the trio battles an old foe who attempts to render then powerless, to the suspense-filled, and at times very humorous season finale, these beauitiful heroines will have you wish for more. Their foes are stronger, Their powers are growing, and the suypernatural has even more unique ways of disrupting their drama-filled personal lives just when to het it together. Each exciting episode of Charmed: The Complete Second Season continues to work magic that made this critically acclaimed audiencefavorite a force to be reckoned with.

Animal Pragmatism
When Phoebe's friends use a book of spells to turn animals into men, Phoebe's attempt to reverse the spell goes horribly wrong.

My Thoughts:
A good episode. I liked how they handled Valentine's Day in this one. The guy that played the pig turned human did put me off a little on how it acted... but I shouldn't complain... as I honestly can't think of a better way to do it. But over all I enjoyed the episode.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2011, 04:13:52 AM »
Valentine's Day has been on HBO Pete...I thought about setting my DVR, but I didn't...probably good I didn't since I was full just with shows.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2011, 12:40:02 PM »
That means I should be able to watch it on HBO On Demand. I will look around On-Demand there soon to see what all I can watch through-out the next couple weeks :)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2011, 08:55:10 PM »
Charmed: The Complete Seventh Season
Follow the Charmed Ones, Phoebe (Alyssa Milano), Piper (Holly Marie Combs) and Paige (Rose McGowan), on their suspenseful adventures of the supernatural! In Charmed: The Complete Seventh Season, the magical Halliwell sisters are called to travel back in time, protect the innocents from the deadly demon Sarpedon, and keep Zankou from claiming the powerful Book of Shadows. join the Charmed Ones in the ultimate battle of impending doom when the almighty Avatars from ancient Egypt plan to vanquish anyone who threatens their Utopian transformation of the world! Charmed: The Complete Seventh Season is filled with pure excitement, romance and mystical thrills

The Power of Three has never been better!

Episode Watched:
Carpe Demon
An ex-demon professor candidate for Magic School causes a media frenzy when he falls under a spell that makes him believe that he is Robin Hood and that Phoebe is Maid Marian.

My Thoughts:
A decent episode... but not a favorite. Valentines Day isn't very obvious in this one... only mentioned in a couple places. I never cared too much for the character of Drake that was introduced in this episode. And the whole Robin Hood thing in this episode... while entertaining the first time you see it. It really don't hold up too well for multiple viewings.

My Rating:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2011, 01:10:54 PM »

Title: When in Rome
Year: 2010
Director: Mark Steven Johnson
Rating: PG-13
Length: 91 Min.

Stars:
Kristen Bell
Josh Duhamel
Anjelica Huston
Will Arnett
Jon Heder
Dax Shepard

Plot:
Beth is a young, ambitious New Yorker who is completely unlucky in love. However, on a whirlwind trip to Rome, she impulsively steals some coins from a reputed fountain of love, and is then aggressively pursued by a band of suitors.

My Thoughts:
This is a movie that I just watched on Starz On-Demand. I wanted to watch this one because I been a fan of Kristen Bell since her Veronica Mars days. I enjoyed this one... but I definitely seen better Romantic Comedies. It is a cute idea.. I just think it could have been handled a bit better. Kristen Bell was great in this... and I like that they had Danny DeVito as one of the coin owners. Definitely worth a watch... but don't go in expecting too much.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2011, 04:57:46 PM »

Title: Notting Hill: Collector's Edition
Year: 1999
Director: Roger Michell
Length: 124 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Julia Roberts
Hugh Grant
Richard McCabe
Rhys Ifans
James Dreyfus
Dylan Moran

Plot:
Anna Scott (Julia Roberts) is the world's most famous movie star. Her picture has been plastered on the cover of every magazine, and every time she makes a move, the entire world knows about it.

William Thacker (Hugh Grant) owns a travel bookstore in the quaint neighborhood of Notting Hill. His business is stagnant, he has the roommate from hell and his love life is completely nonexistent.

Then one day, their paths cross and the couple comes to face the ultimate question: can two people fall in love with the whole world watching?

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Bonus Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Production Notes
DVD-ROM Content
Closed Captioned
Music Highlights

My Thoughts:
This is the first time I ever seen this movie. This is mainly because I do not care much for  Hugh Grant. The guy just bugs me for some reason. But I do like Julia Roberts so I did look a bit forward to it when someone gave me a copy a few months back. I feel this one had a bit of a slow start for me... it took a little bit to get into the story. But once I did... I was completely drawn in. And I found that I enjoyed the movie very much. I found that I still didn't like Hugh Grant. I thought Julia Roberts was fabulous in it. And I found the roommate of Hugh Grant's character to be hilariously idiotic. The movie has some great funny scenes in it...  I really enjoyed the part of the movie where William's family first meets Anna Scott. As well as some touching moments... I especially liked how the movie ended... while you knew how it would end... the way in which they did it was excellent. Over-all this movie is definitely worth seeing... I can see myself watching this movie again... despite my dislike for Hugh Grant.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2011, 07:02:34 PM »
The readers of Horse & Hound are very pleased with your thoughts.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2011, 07:14:07 PM »

Title: Ghost Town
Year: 2008
Director: David Koepp
Length: 102 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Ricky Gervais
Téa Leoni
Greg Kinnear

Plot:
A spirited romantic comedy, Ghost Town is the story of Bertram Pincus (Ricky Gervais), a cranky Manhattan dentist who develops the unwelcome ability to see dead people. Really annoying dead people. But, when a smooth-talking ghost (Greg Kinnear) traps Bertram into a romantic scheme involving his widow Gwen (Téa Leoni), they become entangled in a hilarious predicament between the now and the hereafter!

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Bonus Trailers
Featurettes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This one I was looking forward to checking out since it was given to me. I pretty much like anything that has to do with the supernatural. But this one started out a bit slow for me and I worried I wasn't going to be able to get into it. What with the main character being so unlikeable. But as the character grew a bit... the movie itself grew a bit on me. By about two-thirds of the way in I was pretty hooked. Though there is definitely many more romantic comedies I would prefer over this one. But I can see myself watching this one again every now and then.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2011, 07:56:23 PM »
Is this only an excuse to watch your Sandra Bullock's movies :tease:

Wow... One week in... And I still haven't watched a single Sandra Bullock movie? What is going on here?  :tease:
Pete