Author Topic: Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows  (Read 6078 times)

samuelrichardscott

Re: Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2011, 05:40:20 AM »
The press release I received is from November so reasonably old and things may have changed. Choices Direct show 2nd Jan, find-dvd/Zavvi/Sendit show 5th March. However, I would guess Amazon is correct as that is what BBC Shop says:
http://www.bbcshop.com/invt/BBCBD0167?cm_mmc=Buyat-_-Affiliate-_-Online-_-Buyat&source=buyat

Najemikon

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2011, 01:12:07 PM »
I'd be surprised if it was the 2nd. Considering bank holidays over new year, ordering online would be impossible for that date and pre-orders would have half a chance of arriving tomorrow, before the show had been broadcast at all! I'd forgotten it was only a three parter, so it will certainly be a quicker release than usual, but still. The day after?  :hmmmm:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2011, 06:32:57 AM »
I'd be surprised if it was the 2nd. Considering bank holidays over new year, ordering online would be impossible for that date and pre-orders would have half a chance of arriving tomorrow, before the show had been broadcast at all! I'd forgotten it was only a three parter, so it will certainly be a quicker release than usual, but still. The day after?  :hmmmm:
I guess you clicked reply on page 1, not seeing Sam's post?

Above your post he already linked to the BBC where the Amozon's release date (1/23) is confirmed to be correct.

Najemikon

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2011, 03:16:21 PM »
I did see it, but I just misread it! :whistle:
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 03:20:19 PM by Jon »

Najemikon

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2012, 10:42:54 PM »
Marie, I've since seen the film and now the first instalment of the second BBC series. I don't actually disagree with you, the film is cracking entertainment, but I find it quite depressing that the standard is simply a repeat of the first film. In light of how brilliant Stephen Moffat's version is, I'd really hoped Guy Ritchie was going to step up his... "Game", but clearly he is happy to be over-ahem-"Shadowed". See what I did there?  :laugh: :bag: :-[

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2012, 04:33:58 AM »
Yes I see what you did there.   :laugh:

I finally found something online last night that said the second season of Sherlock will air over here starting in May..not on BBC America, but it seems like on PBS as part of the Masterpiece Mystery.

Najemikon

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2012, 01:02:39 PM »
I posted my review of Game Of Shadows yesterday. I'd be interested in what you think as you seem to be quite taken with the stories in general. I've probably been unfair on it but the new series is just so bloody good. Its Hound of the Baskervilles tonight.  :yahoo:

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2012, 02:31:04 PM »
... but the new series is just so bloody good. Its Hound of the Baskervilles tonight.  :yahoo:

Hopefully, it doesn't slump again after the opener as it did in S1. But I agree, Scandal in Belgravia was great fun. And they almost got a pass from me for the PG-13 framing of the nude scene, save for one shot that didn't make any sense. Oh, and the ending didn't make any sense either and could have been lifted out of the Ritchie movie.
Matthias

Najemikon

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2012, 02:59:47 PM »
But the defence of that ending and of the films is that the original books had that same capacity for absurd theatrics and the character of Sherlock was written as being skilled in combat.

What do you mean about the nude scene? That style is typical of British TV handling of 'post-watershed but not really late' programming. Our best dramas are pitched so they can be ambitious while not cutting off the younger viewers. If a 12 year old wants to watch, say, Morse or even Cracker, they can without mum and dad even having to think about it. Our TV uses swearing and violence as a barometer for when it can be shown. Sex and nudity is tastefully done so even the early evening soaps can tackle it.

I don't think series 1 slumped in the slightest, by the way.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2012, 03:24:55 PM »
Normally i say if you can't do nudity then don't do it. But despite the "tasteful" framing, the scene here didn't bother me - except for the frontal shot of her sitting with her arms crossed to cover herself. That didn't make any sense for the character in that context and promptly made me groan.

As did the ending, but I don't think I ever read one of the books so I take your word for it.

There was a notable difference in quality between the pilot and the other two episodes and especially the middle one was really weak. IMHO, of course.
Matthias

Najemikon

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2012, 09:02:22 PM »
Well I'm no prude (really quite the opposite!) but if she had appeared full frontal or even just topless, it would have caused an unnecessary jolt for the viewer. We only need to understand the surprise and impact, not feel it ourselves. I know what you mean about the seated shot, but it must have been tough to handle that scene. Having her starkers was such a brilliant idea, but the logistics are something else!

I should say that it is many years since I read any of the stories and even then it was only one or two, but the idea Sherlock was an action man was never explicit, just alluded to.