Author Topic: Megamind  (Read 7667 times)

Najemikon

Re: Megamind
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 12:56:43 AM »
Oh Shrek is absolutely a buddy movie. The not getting along angle is an important component: Murtaugh didn't trust Riggs, and Woody hated Buzz! But Shrek is a satire. That's the difference and to be honest, I still think they got it right in the first two.

Critter

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 01:03:11 AM »
Hmm, maybes it's time I had a little Shrek marathon and added my thoughts once and for all to my animation marathon thread.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 01:38:28 AM »
It isn't that I hate Shrek or Dreamworks.  I just don't think there movies are as strong as Pixar's.

I don't think anyone does.  :laugh: Hell, Dreamworks themselves probably don't even think it.

Oh I've seen posts other places - even in some reviews at Epinions - about how much better Dreamworks animation is ..Disney sucks..Pixar is boring..Dreamworks rocks.  Crap like that.  So there are some out there that think that way.

Critter

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2011, 01:42:15 AM »
It isn't that I hate Shrek or Dreamworks.  I just don't think there movies are as strong as Pixar's.

I don't think anyone does.  :laugh: Hell, Dreamworks themselves probably don't even think it.

Oh I've seen posts other places - even in some reviews at Epinions - about how much better Dreamworks animation is ..Disney sucks..Pixar is boring..Dreamworks rocks.  Crap like that.  So there are some out there that think that way.

Oh there will always be some I suppose. There's actually a girl in my archery club who likes Dreamworks more than Pixar.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2011, 01:43:46 AM »
Dreamworks has had stronger plots in recent years...so that's some progress.
But they are still rushing out the movies...something that will be a mistake in the long run I think.

NickCalder15

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2011, 02:38:46 PM »
Blast! (In Stewie's words)

I wrote this film off months ago when the trailer came out. I was developing a bias toward all non-Pixar family movies ever since Monsters and Aliens came out last year. Oh how much of a tool I was to do that. I'm not even sure if it's showing anymore down here. It might be, since the kiddies are out of school for another 3  weeks. Not sure if I'm gonna make that or Tron my top priority.

Critter

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2011, 02:40:14 PM »
I wrote this film off months ago when the trailer came out. I was developing a bias toward all non-Pixar family movies 

This is a bias worth having.  :tease:

NickCalder15

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2011, 03:16:52 PM »
No wonder, you're watching all the bad ones. If you want to see a good Dreamworks film, watch American Beauty. It's not exactly for the kids, but a brilliant movie.
:laugh:

I'm only talking about Dreamworks animated films. More specifically Dreamworks computer animated films, not everything from the entire production company. And I have seen American Beauty.

I know what you mean about Dreamworks animated movies Sophie.  I've never liked them as well as Disney or Pixar, though I have been entertained by them.

I do think they have been getting better in the last few years...though I think they are still rushing out the movies.  They had 3 big new ones this year.  Quality is still a bit of an issue there I think.

Megamind is one of their better ones I think.  Not quite as good as How to Train Your Dragon or Kung Fu Panda, but a lot better than most of what they've done.

They do seem to rush them out don't they, 3 in one year is huge! Dreamworks are capable of making good films, they have proved that now but I think they just need to spend more time on each one, and stop making so many damn sequels for all of them! I heard there are already 4 or 5 films planned for both Kung Fu Panda and How to train your Dragon which will most likely ruin both of them, much like they did with the Shrek franchise. At least when Pixar do sequels they know how to do them properly, eg TS2 and 3. They also seem to know when to stop.

4 or 5 films? You're kidding.

It's bad enough rushing out 2-3 within a few years. But already 4-5? Come on. There's no way you can sustain the quality for that long, surely.

You're right about Pixar. They do know when to stop. I watched Toy Story only a week ago and I was amazed by how well the movie held up to the first two (after watching the first two immediately before it). At least the creative legends running Pixar know how to put quality over quantity.

Critter

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2011, 03:20:35 PM »
At least the creative legends running Pixar know how to put quality over quantity.

I like this kid.   :laugh:
 ;)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2011, 04:23:51 PM »
 ;)
Reading his posts I start to wonder if he was lying about his age :laugh:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2011, 09:57:37 PM »
At least the creative legends running Pixar know how to put quality over quantity.

;)

Ooo...me too.  Someone else who appreciates the brilliance of Pixar...and appreciates quality instead of wanting a bunch of mindless sequels.

Critter

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2011, 11:22:11 PM »
He's not lying about his age, he's 14, just a clever 14 year old.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2011, 11:24:25 PM »
There is hope for the future.  Not all teenagers are mindless.
;)