Author Topic: Sherlock - Season One  (Read 1911 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Sherlock - Season One
« on: January 17, 2011, 06:37:39 AM »
Sherlock - Season One

I first heard about the new BBC series Sherlock sometime in the fall of 2010.  The series sounded very interesting to me and I eventually decided to pick up the first season.  I got the Blu-ray since it was only a few dollars more than the DVD.

Since I have started watching more shows from England, I have gotten use to the fact that the seasons are shorter.  Despite that, I was still surprised by the fact that the first season of Sherlock only has three episodes.  Each episode is an hour and a half long though.  I have read that a second season is planned.  Since I enjoyed this season so much, I'm sure I'll pick up the second season once it is available.  The one good thing about the season have less episodes is that the price isn't as high as some of the other BBC shows.

Each episode has a different plot tied to a different case that Sherlock and Watson are working on.  I love that the series is set in current times.  It is really interesting to see Sherlock in a more modern setting.  I still have only read one of the original stories, but that story - which told how Sherlock and Watson first met - is the basis for the first episode.  I love how Sherlock is still super observant and figures things out that others miss.  He does use computers and cell phones to help with different things, but he still mostly relies on his observation skills. 

Sherlock and Watson are very much like they have been in other movies featuring them that I have seen.  Watson is more of a full partner even though he does end up doing a few more mundane things.  He isn't a bumbling character used for comic relief even when he isn't completely sure what Sherlock is doing.  The characters are very entertaining and likable.  Moriarty does turn up briefly.  The way the character is portrayed is a little odd and I'm not sure what I think of it yet.  I have a feeling he'll be back more in the second season.

Sherlock - Season One is a great season and I think it definitely deserves to be seen.  I'm really glad I picked it up.

I did get a longer review posted on Epinions.

Sherlock - Season One

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Sherlock - Season One
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 10:56:40 AM »
I thought iot was a marvelous show! Only three episodes clearly left me wanting for more. The ending was excellent, typical for this kiond of series.

Did you watch the special features? Even the original pilot? It's amazing that they originally planned to make it even shorter, but luckily the BNBC asked them to create one hour shows, as that format seems to work much better than the originally planned ones.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 01:12:50 PM »
Thanks for reminding me. I just ordered the first season on Blu for 10 pounds. :)
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 03:00:10 AM »
I hope you like it Karsten.  It's a wonderful show.

I've watched all the extras except the original pilot.  I think the longer format works really well for the show.  I definitely want to see more episodes.

Najemikon

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 10:02:09 PM »
Ahh... the strange ways of British TV, confusing foreigners again! :tease: Yes, it was short, but at an hour and a half long, it's less a series and more the equivalent of a mini-series. Very common format for our dramas; lots of stories are shown in feature length episodes over three or four consecutive nights, or weekly. In a lot of cases, they are one-offs, with no intention of another series. Lynda La Plante has had a lot of her work done like that. Widows is a TV classic and more recently a handful of stories under the banner Trial And Retribution. Book adaptations are often done like this, with a "series" of A Touch of Frost or Miss Marple actually being three or four stories made like films. If you liked the format of Sherlock, there are a lot of these you would like, but I wouldn't know where to start!

Oh, I suppose David Tenant in Secret Smile. That was good, because he played a villain.

Anyway, I'm not remotely surprised you enjoyed Sherlock, Marie. Were you aware it was written by Stephen Moffat, who is the current writer/producer of Doctor Who and worked with Russell T. Davies very closely throughout the Eccleston/Tenant runs? He called Sherlock, "Doctor Who, an hour later" in reference to the darker tone, aimed at a late evening audience.

Actually, I believe Benedict Cumberbatch even auditioned for the current Doctor. And Matt Smith? He auditioned for Watson! :whistle:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 10:13:46 PM »
I've heard of some of the British shows being called mini series.  I just haven't had the chance to see many of them so far.  But I may try to find more.  Ad it will be all your fault when I do...especially after this post. ;)

I did know that Moffat was involved with Doctor Who and Sherlock.  In the one extra, when talking about when he first got the idea for the show, he talked about how he had been working on Doctor Who at the time.

Oh now that's interesting...they auditioned for the other parts.  Very interesting.  I think they got the right parts...I can't see either of them in the other part.  Though Smith maybe for Sherlock..but, like that article said, Watson needs to be a bit...well...more normal.  lol 

Tenant as a villain?  Now I'll have to find it. 
Oh...did you know that Tenant is going to be in the new Fright Night?  I'm still not sure about that one being remade..but Tenant is in it..so I know I'll see it. 

And yes, that is all your fault too Jon. ;)  I've gotten hooked on Tenant from Doctor Who...so it is your fault every time I see him in anything else.  Ever. :D